Letterman Back with Writers

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Letterman Back with Writers

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:15 am

David Letterman (and Craig Ferguson as well) will be back on the air January 2 having made a deal with the Writers Guild so that writers will be on staff. Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien will also be back, without an agreement with the writers. The Writers Guild has indicated that they will negotiate separately with independent production companies like Letterman's (Leno and Conan are owned by the network). Typically, the terms of a deal are that the parties agree to be bound by the master agreement if and when it is reached. This may also allow production to resume in the near future for independent films.

Having writers for Letterman means more than just having someone do his Top Ten list. It means that he will be getting the top guest stars. If the writers picket Leno (which they undoubtedly will), few name actors or directors will cross the picket lines. To make a point, expect to see a lot of A-list level talent on Letterman at first.

On a similar note, it now looks like the Golden Globes will not be televised, since the writers had threatened to picket and the actors and directors would boycott. Two alternatives that are being bandied about are a private awards ceremony (which the Oscars were for many years) or an Internet broadcast of some sort (which could also run into a picket line and boycott).
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am

Hurray! Letterman and Craig Ferguson are my preferred flavor of late-night viewing. I don't think I've ever watched a Golden Globes telecast, anyway.

I'd like to have everybody back and the writers happy, but I'll take what I can get.

thguy65

#3 Post by thguy65 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm

I hope Dave and his writers use the opportunity to point out a recent game show contestant who might have saved himself a lot of embarrassment if he had been a regular viewer of "Will It Float?" (or the British version "Is It Buoyant?").
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:41 pm

The first couple of days of Letterman are not A-list, but soon after.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

DevilKitty100

#5 Post by DevilKitty100 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:16 am

silvercamaro wrote:Hurray! Letterman and Craig Ferguson are my preferred flavor of late-night viewing. I don't think I've ever watched a Golden Globes telecast, anyway.

I'd like to have everybody back and the writers happy, but I'll take what I can get.
Just got back from seeing Craig Ferguson live at Bass Hall here in Fort Worth. It's clear why he's nipping at the heels of leading the late night pack. Laugh until your face hurts funny. Very connected to the audience with everyday common denominators. The show did not have the feeling of a prepared event at all, more like just watching your hystically funny neighbor tell ribald stories.

It took me a bit to adjust that it was really Craig Ferguson in that I've only ever seen him dressed in a suit and tie as he did on the Drew Carey Show and as he does on the late night show. Came out wearing faded levis and a short sleeve buttoned black shirt.

He was talking about some of the craziness in Hollywood and how the actors get caught up in the craziness when he delivered one of the funniest lines of the evening. Tom Cruise: 12 feet of crazy in a four foot man.

And, uh, if you should be able to see him, don't take your youngsters.