PENULTIMATE QOD Saturday 12-29 "WHAT'S LEFT"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

PENULTIMATE QOD Saturday 12-29 "WHAT'S LEFT"

#1 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:48 am

Yes, it's winding down and we'll all mourn its loss. Do you miss me yet? Ha! Meanwhile, nobody has shown any desire for more http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?t=2339

12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”.

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth.

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner.

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”….

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election.

QOD: What do all of these people have in common?

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th?

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:00 am

Spoiler
1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. Jimi Hendrix

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. Gotta be Michael Jordan, no?

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. Whoopi Goldberg - for Ghost, I think.

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”…. Minnasota Fats - that's all I got

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. Clinton, Perot and Bush, the elder

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? no idea

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th? I tried all sorts of math things and the best I can do it the year is 2/3 over on that day.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:48 am

Spoiler
12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. - Jimi Hendrix

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. - Michael Jordan

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. - Halle Berry

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”…. - Steve Mizerak ... The spelling's probably wrong, but I only know him from those looooong running (We're talking Fred McGriff/Tom Emanski type loooooong running) commercials where he sells that pool instructional video with Pretty Boy Floyd and Ewa Mataya....

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. - George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton & H. Ross Perot (Any pointe for knowing Perot's running mate was Admiral "Who Am I, Why am I here?" Stockdale?)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:06 am

Spoiler
1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. Jimi Hendrix

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. David Thompson

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. Halie Berry

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”….

Ed Mizorski

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election.

Anderson, Clinton, Dole

Jimi played Guitar like Fantine
David Thompson played Basketball like Fantine
Halie Barry is almost a pretty as Fantine
Ed played pool like Fantine
none of them would have made as good a president as Fantine

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th? Its your birthday

Thanks for the QOD
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: PENULTIMATE QOD Saturday 12-29 "WHAT'S LEFT"

#5 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 am

Spoiler
Yes, it's winding down and we'll all mourn its loss. Do you miss me yet? Ha! Meanwhile, nobody has shown any desire for more http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?t=2339

12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. Jimmy Hendrix - (showing my age now!)

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. Wish I knew....I love the description and am anxious to find out!

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. Whoopie Goldberg

What I know about pool can fit in thimble
5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. Clinton, George H W Bush & Ross Perot

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? I know Clinton & Bush are left handed, so maybe Perot is as well, so I'll go with that.
Fan is a southpaw as well. Any bonus for that?? Just askin'

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th

Nope - lost me on this one

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:03 am

TMITSSS is very witty this morning. Good job! :)

ne1410s

#7 Post by ne1410s » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:24 am

Spoiler
12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. JIMI HENDRIX

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. DAVID THOMPSON --I'M JUST SAYIN'...

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. WHOOPIE GOLDBERG

STEVE MISERAK (SP)

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. CLINTON, BUSH 41, ROSS PEROT

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? LEFT HANDERS

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th? IT MUST BE NAT'L LEFTIES DAY OR SOME SUCH....

FANNIE, I've really enjoyed your QOD run. Continue if you wish.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:55 am

Spoiler
1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Michael Jordan, who is not the Buddah, Christ, etc....

3. Hallie Berry

5. Clinton, Bush Sr & Perot?

QotD: No idea

Bonus: Its probably Tish B'av, or whatever. Maybe Lag B'Omer, a much nicer holiday.
edited only to correct potential winner holiday spelling, as a mind is a terrible thing
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 am

Spoiler
1-Jimi Hendrix
2-Michael Jordan
3-Whoopie Goldberg
4-Steve Mizerak
5-Bill Clinton, George Bush the elder, Ross Perot

QOD: I'm gonna take a chance and, because of the title of today's game, say that they are all Left-Handers. I know Hendrix was, so I'll give it a shot and go with that.

5PB: Well, it's 5LD's birthday. But, in keeping with the (I hope) theme, I'll say it's "National Left-Handers Day"
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

wintergreen48

#10 Post by wintergreen48 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:57 am

Spoiler
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Larry Bird
3. Halle Berry
4. NAC
5. George HW Bush, William J. Clinton, Nutjob Perot

QOD: They are all alive. Also, they are all left-handed.

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th? Well, signficant to whom? Marlborough won his greatest victory at Blenheim on this day in 1704, and I think it is also the day that the East Germans shut off the road between East and West Berlin, preliminary to building The Wall. Other than that, I got nuthin'.

VAdame

#11 Post by VAdame » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Spoiler
12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”.

Jimi Hendrix

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth.

Michael Jordan?

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner.

I think it's Whoopi Goldberg

NAC

George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, H. Ross Perot

They are not in my kitchen

Hmmmmmmm.....Karen's birthday! Alfred Hitchcock's birthday. Fidel Castro's birthday. Day of the giant power outage a couple years ago (we remember 'cause it was Karen's birthday......anything else? ;-)

fantine33

#12 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:32 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
No, he's not. Another thing he is not is the correct answer to this question. But I'll bet that Buddha has a mean crossover dribble. Ha!

nitrah55

#13 Post by nitrah55 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Spoiler
1. JIMI HENDRIX

2. JERRY WEST

3. HALLE BERRY

4. STEVE MIZERAK

5. GEORGE W. BUSH, BILL CLINTON, ROSS PEROT

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? THEY'RE ALL LEFT-HANDED

I am about 25% sure of this.

VAdame

#14 Post by VAdame » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:53 pm

fantine33 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
No, he's not. Another thing he is not is the correct answer to this question. But I'll bet that Buddha has a mean crossover dribble. Ha!
Spoiler
And everybody knows that Jesus' game is baseball!

In fact, baseball is mentioned often in the Bible:

God created the world in the Big Inning
Eve stole first; Adam stole second
The Samaritan woman walked to the well with the pitcher
And the Prodigal Son ran for home!

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:18 pm

Spoiler
Number 2 must be Nene.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mikehardware

#16 Post by mikehardware » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:37 pm

Spoiler
12/29 What’s Left

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Michael Jordan
3. Halle Berry
5. Bill Clinton, Bob Dole, Ross Perot

a1mamacat

#17 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I accidently see'd stuff, so I'll have to DQ myself for today.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

andrewjackson

#18 Post by andrewjackson » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Spoiler
1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Oscar Robertson (not left-handed but the greatest basketball player of all time)

3. Halle Berrie

4. Nope

5. George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Ross Perot

QOD: They are all left-handed

5 Point Bonus: Left-Handed Day
No matter where you go, there you are.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#19 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 pm

Spoiler
1. Mr. Jimi Hendrix
2. I don't remember the names of all the basketball players. I will guess Hakeem Olajuwon, since his daughter Abi would be a friend of mine if I ever met her.
3. Miss Whoopi Goldberg (I like her name. It sounds like a good name for a Shitzsu.)
4. I can swim, but we don't have a pool, so I don't know the answer to this question.
5. Mr. President George H.W. Bush, Mr. Governor William Clinton, and Mr. Billionaire Ross Perot.

QoD: I think they might all be left-handed. (I'm ambidexpawed, myself.) If that's right -- or if that's what's left -- I wish you would have included Mr. Albert Einstein, who is my left-handed idol in the field of science, relatively speaking.

5-point bonus: That just might be International Left-Handers Appreciation Day, or something like that. At any rate, I have pretty much ruled out Talk Like a Pirate Day. That's a special day that I do not celebrate, because if I say "Argh!", somebody might think I was growling and be afraid.
I'm glad I got to answer for myself today. My mom never would have remembered the questions.
Sou iu koto de.

traininvain

#20 Post by traininvain » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:17 pm

12/29 What’s Left
Spoiler
1. James Marshall Hendrix

2. Bill Russell

3. Halle Berry

No Clue

5. Bill Clinton, Ross Perot & George Bush

All Americans, people who have never been in my kitchen, just joking, I'll guess that they're all left-handed. Hendrix is the only one that I know is left-handed so...

...I'll just that August 13th is dome kind of national left-handers day.
Enjoy every sandwich

KillerTomato

#21 Post by KillerTomato » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Spoiler

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. If your question from earlier this month is any indication, I believe you mean Larry Bird.

3. Whoopi Goldberg (for "Ghost")

4. Steve Mizerack

5. William Jefferson Clinton, George Herbert Walker Bush, and H. Ross Perot

QOD: I'm not going to chance it, although I suspect it might be that they're all sinistradextrous, judging only by the QOD title and the fact that I know Jimi played guitar lefthandedly, and Bubba and GHW were both southpaws.

5 Point Bonus: It's not your birthday. Is it Larry Bird's?
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Catfish

#22 Post by Catfish » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Spoiler
Jimi Hendrix
Larry Bird?
Halle Berry?
??
Clinton, Bush, Perot
Pass
It's my Dad's birthday.
Catfish

NellyLunatic1980

#23 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Spoiler
Jimi Hendrix

Carmelo Anthony

Whoopi Goldberg

the late great Steve Mizerak

Bill "Bubba" Clinton, George "My Son is a _____ (fill in your own blank)" Bush, Ross "Nutbag" Perot

pass

the death of Phil Rizzuto

tanstaafl2

#24 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 pm

fantine33 wrote: 12/29 What’s Left
Spoiler

Jimi Hendrix

Hmm, seems potentially a bit subjective... Not a big B-ball person but I will guess Michael Jordan is the obvious choice. The perfect person part might be open to some debate but the B-ball part would not seem to be.

But I have been wrong before...

Whoopi Goldberg?

Steve Mizerak

Bill Clinton, George Bush the Elder and Ross Perot

Well, assuming I have "correct" people to begin with I got a whole lot of nuthin' for this. But taking a clue from the title I am going to gamble and guess they are all southpaws like me! I know Clinton, Bush and Perot are and I think Goldberg is.

It always seems to occur after August 12th and before August 14th. And perhaps it is left handed people day? Figures they would make it on the 13th...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#25 Post by etaoin22 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:03 am

Spoiler
Yes, it's winding down and we'll all mourn its loss. Do you miss me yet? Ha! Meanwhile, nobody has shown any desire for more http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?t

. In the year 1991 and 1992 or so, the Montreal Expos suffered from overbalance to the left, as the crafty type lefties Nabholz, Barnes and Haney all failed to establish themselves as big-league starters. I listened to those games, with semi-perverse lyrics based on Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money" in my head.

12/29 What’s Left

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. Michael Jordan

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. Lefty, long-awaited

Lefty Chalke

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. Perot, Bush and Clinton. Money, guns and lawyer.

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? Left-handers.

second day of the 1994 strike.
national left-handers day
meisters birthday, maybe.