PENULTIMATE QOD Saturday 12-29 "WHAT'S LEFT"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: PENULTIMATE QOD Saturday 12-29 "WHAT'S LEFT"

#26 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:46 am

fantine33 wrote:Yes, it's winding down and we'll all mourn its loss. Do you miss me yet? Ha! Meanwhile, nobody has shown any desire for more http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?t=2339

12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”.

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth.

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner.

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”….

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election.

QOD: What do all of these people have in common?

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th?
Spoiler
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Given the theme, I"'m going with Bill Russell
3. Whoopi Goldberg
4. Steve Mizerak
5. Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, H. Ross Perot

QoD: They're all left-handed

Bonus: It's Left-handers Day!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#27 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:40 am

Spoiler
5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election.
William Jefferson Clinton
George Herbert Walker Bush
Ross Perot

Staying clam.

It fits perfectly between August 12th and August 14th.

JBillyGirl

#28 Post by JBillyGirl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Spoiler
1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”. -- Jimi Hendrix

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth. -- Michael Jordan

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner. -- Whoopi Goldberg

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”…. --not coming to me

5. These three men were the leading candidates in the 1992 Presidential Election. -- Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Ross Perot

QOD: What do all of these people have in common? -- None of them have ever been in my kitchen, or even in any other room in my house. In other words, I pass.

5 Point Bonus: What is the significance of August 13th? -- It's your birthday? :D

fantine33

#29 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:42 am

12/29 What’s Left

1. This native of Seattle, Washington stole the show at Woodstock with his rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”.

JIMI HENDRIX

2. He is the greatest basketball player in the annals of recorded history and possibly the most perfect person ever created and placed on this earth.

LARRY BIRD

Although there isn't a truly subjective answer to the first part, I thought that the second half of the question would make it clear (since I've mentioned several times during the month that Larry Bird is a god among men, ha!). I did consider the possibility that there were some who were not partaking of the kool-aid and had decided that I would also accept Bill Russell and Adrian Dantley. And darned if two people didn't go Russell!

Nelly, if my mom was writing this QOD, your answer would be correct. For Christmas I got her a Carmelo Anthony wall clock to go in her "Carmelo Room". And, as a friend pointed out to me, if your room has a name it is no longer a room, it is a shrine. Ha! (Although I have been to the Boston Connection in Terre Haute, I don't have a Larry Shrine.)

3. After Hattie McDaniel won an Academy Award in 1940, it was more than 50 years before this woman became the second African-American female Oscar winner.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG

Whether Halle Berry wants to acknowledge it or not.

4. Known as “The Miz”, my all-time favourite pool player passed away last year. He is probably better known to the general public for his appearances in those all-star Miller Lite commercials. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read my dog-eared copy of his “Inside Pocket Billiards”….

STEVE MIZERAK

Thank you, Miz, for making me into a halfway decent player.

CLINTON, PEROT and BUSH

THEY ARE ALL LEFTHANDED!

Paying attention to those 'snappy titles' pays off, BoB!

I tried to use people who are known for being left-handed, Hendrix since he played lh, if somebody knew Mizerak, they knew he was the greatest left-handed pool player ever, Whoopi Goldberg was Left Hander of the Year either last year or the year before (okay, you people know who got the Nobel prizes, I know who gets named LHotY. Ha!) And, I recall at the time, it was kind of an 'interesting fact' of the 1992 election that we were assured of a left handed president.

Annie, I like Einstein too, but I didn't include him because he was a "switch", which is a person who was forced to convert to their right hand (get your mind out of the gutters, people!) so I didn't include him since I was sure that somebody would want to argue about it. Ha! Due to elementary school trauma, I'm very anti-switch, although I can write with my right hand if forced to (or for a parlour trick).

INTERNATIONAL LEFT HANDERS DAY!!!1

I gave credit for National as well. I bought my first (and, to date, only) new car on August 13, 1988 because it was left handers day and Instant Karma came on the radio as I was getting ready to leave the dealer's lot.

As for scoring, seersuckerman got 10 suck up points and Saucy got 10 honesty points.

Quiz QOD Bonus Total
50 50 5 105 mrkelley
50 50 0 100 KillerTomato
40 40 5 85 ne1410s
40 40 5 85 tanstaafl
40 40 5 85 tbone
30 30 5 65 AnnieCamaro
30 30 5 65 traininvain
30 30 0 60 kayrharris
30 30 0 60 nitrah
30 30 0 60 wintergreen
20 20 5 45 andrewjackson
20 20 5 45 etaoin
40 0 0 40 nelly
30 0 0 30 jbillygirl
30 0 0 30 kittyfish
30 0 0 30 littlebeast
30 0 0 30 peacock
30 0 0 30 VAdame
20 0 0 20 ghostjmf
20 0 0 20 mikehardware
10 10 0 20 seersucker
10 0 0 10 Marley
0 0 10 10 saucy

themanintheseersuckersuit

#30 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 am

fantine33 wrote:1

As for scoring, seersuckerman got 10 suck up points
Thank you very much! Fantine you are just so Awesome and the most generous person on Earth!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tlynn78

#31 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:19 pm

Spoiler
1, Jimi Hendrix
2. Michael Jordan
3. Whoopi GOldberg
4. nope
5. Bush, elder; CLinton and Perot

QoD

None of them have ever been in my kitchen (except maybe number 4, I guess, depending on the answer)

bonus

nope
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire