Neat tidbit

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Neat tidbit

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:32 am

Just found this. Would be an easy Google, so try it without googling or using outside references. There are two hefty clues built-in to the question anyway. Another clue is that she (the answer) is connected to a current film.

Who holds the record for primetime Emmy nominations without a win, with 18, including 12 consecutive nominations on the show in which she starred?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:19 am

My guess would be Susan Lucci. I know she's been nominated, but I'm not sure if she has ever won.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 am

Susan Lucci did finally win, but anyway she's daytime, not prime time.

On prime time? Miss Kitty (Amanda whatever) on Gunsmoke? Laura Innes on ER?

Hard to think of a prime time show which maintained enough quality over 12 years to generate Emmy-nominated performances for the same character. ER certainly no longer has it, & I don't recall Innes being nominated continually anyway.

S. Epatha Merkeson (as Abby Van Buren) on Law & Order?

She finally won for a cable show I have not yet seen.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:02 am

Mary Tyler Moore maybe....

ne1410s

#5 Post by ne1410s » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:36 am

Can't think of anyone on that long except Carol Burnett.

'at's all I gots....
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:37 am

Angela Lansbury. She was on Murder She Provoked and was also nominated for Sweeney Todd and other appearances on TV.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:02 am

I googled it.
Spoiler

Poor Angela! What's up with the people who vote for the Emmy's? It was really interesting reading about her career and accomplishments. She is a very talented woman.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:08 am

Spoiler
She hasn't won an Oscar either in three nominations for Supporting Actress. The time she was really robbed was for Machurian Candidate, which may have been the best screen villainess of all time.

Patty Duke won for Miracle Worker. Unfortunately for Lansbury, the Oscars tend to vote for actors who play mentally or physically handicapped people.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Lansbury it is. I watched Broadway's Last Treasures 3 last night, in which we heard Ethel Merman belting Everything's Coming Up Roses. On the extras was Lansbury doing the same song the year of the revival, and she is ten times better. All Merman had was power. Lansbury has expression, uses her hands, moves around. I felt encouraged rather than shouted at. She did not win four Tonys in 13 years for nothing.

I agree with her not winning an Emmy for Murder, She Wrote. It was not a particularly challenging role.

I crack up at Bea Arthur's one-woman show, in which she reveals Lansbury is a big pottymouth offstage. This regal, classically-trained British actress, is swearing like a sailor.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#10 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Oh. I've been taking funny medicine that makes the letters wiggle when I try to read. I thought this topic was about a Meat tidbit.

Never mind.
Sou iu koto de.

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Ritterskoop wrote: I crack up at Bea Arthur's one-woman show, in which she reveals Lansbury is a big pottymouth offstage. This regal, classically-trained British actress, is swearing like a sailor.
Listen to the two of them doing "Bosom Buddies" from the OBC soundrack of Mame. One of my favorite Broadway songs. They sound like they were having loads of fun doing it.

I've gotta watch my new copy of Broadway's Lost Treasures. But not before the Pats game.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:25 pm

gsabc wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote: I crack up at Bea Arthur's one-woman show, in which she reveals Lansbury is a big pottymouth offstage. This regal, classically-trained British actress, is swearing like a sailor.
Listen to the two of them doing "Bosom Buddies" from the OBC soundrack of Mame. One of my favorite Broadway songs. They sound like they were having loads of fun doing it.

I've gotta watch my new copy of Broadway's Lost Treasures. But not before the Pats game.
They did that at the '92 Tonys. I tried for years to get a copy of it from CBS (it's on YouTube now, from BLT 2). I grew up singing along with that soundtrack and a few others. Bea was my hero until I found out she is only 5'9" (just kidding - she is still my hero).
--------