Armadillo Cake, No Baby Yet

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
VAdame

Armadillo Cake, No Baby Yet

#1 Post by VAdame » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:09 pm

I tried my hand at a Red Velvet Armadillo Cake -- sorta like in "Steel Magnolias"! We have my sister the armadillo collector in the family grab bag, so we decided to make this as well as the gifts we bought her. She used to lurk on the old Go Bored, and I think she posted a few times as "RMadillo".

Heading down to my brother's house (formerly my parents house) now for our belated Christmas get-together. Today is Karen's due date -- but no sign of labor yet! I don't think she's coming as she doesn't want to be an hour away from the hospital. Ha! That would probably set it off! (I know nothing of overdue babies -- my "latest" was born 3 days prior to her due date.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Great job on the cake, Mary! Have a grand time at the party.

Whenever he decides to arrive, I know that your grandson will be worth waiting for (just as Isabella proved to be.)

VAdame

#3 Post by VAdame » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks! I just realized Mr. Dillo looks kinda pink! It's not -- it's white fondant with silver petal dust. I didn't have the time or energy to try to dye the icing. Last time I tried to make gray or silver icing, it turned out a kind of sickly blue -- not too appetizing.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#4 Post by hermillion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:24 pm

I love the cake, and bet it was the hit of the party! Most of the armadillos I see are squashed on the side of the road, so this was a real treat.

Personally, I think the baby is waiting for 12:01 am on the 1st. Gotta go for the glory, dont'cha know?
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

TheCalvinator24

#5 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 pm

A friend of mine did one for the opening Reception for our Community Theatre's production of Steel Magnolias a couple of years ago. I was hoping he had a picture on his website, but alas, he does not.

Here's some of his other theatre/TV/Movie themed cakes:

http://www.renaissancepro.com/show.htm

You can see more creations by following the links here:

http://www.renaissancepro.com/galleries.htm
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:27 pm

hermillion wrote: Personally, I think the baby is waiting for 12:01 am on the 1st. Gotta go for the glory, dont'cha know?
I agree. I think that the VAdame family baby and the Sake of the Song baby are planning to abscond with all the first-of-the-year prizes in their respective time zones. BB babies are that smart!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:53 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
hermillion wrote: Personally, I think the baby is waiting for 12:01 am on the 1st. Gotta go for the glory, dont'cha know?
I agree. I think that the VAdame family baby and the Sake of the Song baby are planning to abscond with all the first-of-the-year prizes in their respective time zones. BB babies are that smart!
And that competitive! 8)

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:56 pm

My oldest was born on January 1...not the first baby though.

Put me in the mix for new ones, as I have a new grandson due Jan 3rd. (1st boy in the family since my son (the new dad) was born 26 years ago)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:03 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
I think it would be smarter to be born at 12:59 on December 31, 2007. The baby's parents would get a year of tax write-offs with only a minute's worth of expense.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:08 pm

kayrharris wrote:My oldest was born on January 1...not the first baby though.

Put me in the mix for new ones, as I have a new grandson due Jan 3rd. (1st boy in the family since my son (the new dad) was born 26 years ago)
Yay! I will be willing to consider his request to meet the beautiful Isabella in 18-22 years.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:10 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
I think it would be smarter to be born at 12:59 on December 31, 2007. The baby's parents would get a year of tax write-offs with only a minute's worth of expense.
While this is true, the expenses for that particular minute can mount up fast.

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:37 am

What a talent you have! That cake is a hoot!

Looking forward to hear that you have a healthy newborn in the family!

VAdame

#13 Post by VAdame » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:04 pm

Everyone liked the cake -- in fact, it's gone! Well, Rosemary took home the head/shoulder/front paws section -- but she probably had it for breakfast!

We also gave her this:
and these:
http://www.zazzle.com/armadillo_party_p ... 6825566689 (Can't copy image for that one)

Karen & John didn't make it -- she was feeling pretty beat after a night of "twinges" that never progressed. Maybe Angelo really is holding out to be the New Year Baby!

As I said, I nothing of "overdue" babies -- I had one due Aug. 5 born July 12, one due Dec. 14 born Dec. 3, and one due Aug. 16 born Aug. 13. But my sister told us that she went to her college reunion when she was 8 days late with her daughter. And danced! Her classmates kept asking when she was due & she'd say "Last week!" And watched them jump back iin fear that she was gonna pop the baby out right then & there!

It worked; she went into labor the next day.