The Bored needs some good news.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
marrymeflyfree

The Bored needs some good news.

#1 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:00 am

Really and truly. I am just catching up after a few weeks away, and can't express how awfully I feel for the many of you with sad news. I sincerely hope that the new year brings with it a lot of joy and happiness, healthy friends, family, and dogs, and much fun!

We have had an eventful December, here. Cousin's baby has continued to do well after her surgery and is now at home with a very happy family. My aunt who has been battling lymphocytic leukemia is in remission, though she seems to be hitting a low point in her recovery. Her holiday wish was to have an old fashioned Christmas with the WHOLE huge family, and she got it in spades. Over 70 people turned out to celebrate! I think it gave her the lift she needed.

The Naughty Norwegian and I were fortunate to be able to spend a second Christmas in a row in Norway with his family. I really love the traditions they have for the holiday there! It is such a wonderful time, although I did miss being able to partake of the more 'spirited' aspects! The champagne, beer, aquavit, and cognac were flowing...but not for me. Luckily, though, non-alcoholic beer is very common there - and it actually tastes good too. This was a working trip with a very long layover due to the reduced holiday schedule. We both worked the flight in, arriving on the 24th, and worked it out on the 27th. The only sad part: it was my last working trip. I'm starting maternity leave, and will now be out until May 2009. If I resume flying then, it will be a -greatly- reduced schedule, and I'll probably limit it to domestic flying without overnights. It's the end of an era.

And now for the big good news. :D NN and I took a big trip earlier in the month; our last big one before we are three. We left the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal on NN's birthday, set for 10 days to the Caribbean and back aboard the Queen Mary 2. Fab. U. Lous. Perfect vacation for those in the family way, as we were totally pampered AND escaped with a tiny little bar bill at the end. As wonderful as the staff and the ship were, they couldn't hold a candle to my awesome boyfriend. We shared a much-anticipated champagne split (my first indulgence since August!) on the observation deck as we departed between the Manhattan skyline and the lights of Brooklyn (where he was born 41 years ago that night). It was a beautiful clear night, and luckily for us it was also quite cold - we were alone up there. The Naughty Norwegian, romantic fool that he is, seized the moment and proposed. Lady Liberty was our witness. 8)

But I'm not changing my handle. :P

jarnon

Re: The Bored needs some good news.

#2 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:06 am

Congrats, MMFF! Good luck to you, your fiancé, and the baby on the way. Best wishes for a wonderful 2008.

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:14 am

Sounds like your man has a fitting sense of style, you lucky preggo, you.

Congratulations and best wishes for the new year and all the exciting changes about to visit your life!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:16 am

Great trips! Great news! :D

I'm a little confused, though. It appears that the Naughty Norwegian has friends and family back in the old country, but from the next paragraph, he's really one of those Brooklyn Norwegians? :?

marrymeflyfree

#5 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:It appears that the Naughty Norwegian has friends and family back in the old country, but from the next paragraph, he's really one of those Brooklyn Norwegians? :?
He is a man without a country in some ways..haha. His parents worked for the Norwegian government in Brooklyn for two years - he was born 6 months before they returned to Norway. Most of his youth was spent in Norway, but there were quite a few years in Yokohama, Rotterdam, and Aberdeen as well. Then he spent a few years in Israel and Lebanon with the Norwegian military....and then lived in Somalia for a little over a year flying for the UN. And then, of course, now he lives here in the US - but his whole family is still in Norway.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:35 am

marrymeflyfree wrote: He is a man without a country in some ways..haha. His parents worked for the Norwegian government in Brooklyn for two years - he was born 6 months before they returned to Norway. Most of his youth was spent in Norway, but there were quite a few years in Yokohama, Rotterdam, and Aberdeen as well. Then he spent a few years in Israel and Lebanon with the Norwegian military....and then lived in Somalia for a little over a year flying for the UN. And then, of course, now he lives here in the US - but his whole family is still in Norway.
Wow! That's quite a life story.

And I never even knew we had a Norwegian government in Brooklyn! :P

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:16 am

Great news, MMFF. May your new family have a lifetime of happiness together.

nitrah55

#8 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks for the ray of sunshine! It does seem the Board has had a tough December.

So, you couldn't have any booze. How about that lutefisk and herring? I love that stuff.

Where does NN's family live? We have friends in Roverrud, outside Kongsvinger. Which, for those of you not hep to Norwegian geography, translates, "We have friends off the side of Earth, outside Nowheresville."

Congrats, too. On everything.
I am about 25% sure of this.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:55 am

nitrah55 wrote:Where does NN's family live? We have friends in Roverrud, outside Kongsvinger. Which, for those of you not hep to Norwegian geography, translates, "We have friends off the side of Earth, outside Nowheresville."
You're exaggerating, nitrah. According to Google Maps, Roverud is only about 50 miles outside of Oslo. You can get a lot more remote in Norway than that! :P

otherindigo

#10 Post by otherindigo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:01 am

I loved reading your stories.

Congratulations!

marrymeflyfree

#11 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:07 am

nitrah55 wrote:Thanks for the ray of sunshine! It does seem the Board has had a tough December.

So, you couldn't have any booze. How about that lutefisk and herring? I love that stuff.

Where does NN's family live? We have friends in Roverrud, outside Kongsvinger. Which, for those of you not hep to Norwegian geography, translates, "We have friends off the side of Earth, outside Nowheresville."

Congrats, too. On everything.

I remember! Didn't you go to a wedding there a while back?? I haven't been to those places, but I always remember the city you spoke of since we pass a turn-off for Kongsvinger often. He grew up in Oslo and has a brother there, and his parents now split their time between Tonsberg and their summer home on Jomfruland.

Oslo people don't typically do lutefisk..it's more a west coast/northern thing. In fact his family seems more put off by the idea of having some than I do! But there are a lot of different pickled herrings percolating in my digestive system at the moment. One with onions, one herby one, and my fave - the strong mustard variety. I'm also totally overdone on pork for the next several months. For Julaften (Christmas eve), it is customary to have ribbe (some boneless rib part), mediskekake (a sort of pork hamburger thing), and julepolse (christmas sausage). The food is always so wonderful...it is no wonder that my norsk ordlisten centers mostly around the kitchen!

fuzzywuzzy

#12 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 am

marrymeflyfree wrote:
It was a beautiful clear night, and luckily for us it was also quite cold - we were alone up there. The Naughty Norwegian, romantic fool that he is, seized the moment and proposed. Lady Liberty was our witness. 8)
:P
How romantic is that? Congrats MMFF!!! What's the naughty norweigan going to do for an encore?

Ok, forget I asked! :oops:

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:04 am

Congratulations!

Since I am nosy, I will ask, have you set a date yet?

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#14 Post by hermillion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:58 am

Many good wishes to you and NN! Your posts are always so charming and fun to read -- I look forward to reading more of them while you spend the next few months as a Lady in Waiting.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:18 pm

marrymeflyfree wrote:And now for the big good news. :D NN and I took a big trip earlier in the month; our last big one before we are three. We left the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal on NN's birthday, set for 10 days to the Caribbean and back aboard the Queen Mary 2. Fab. U. Lous. Perfect vacation for those in the family way, as we were totally pampered AND escaped with a tiny little bar bill at the end. As wonderful as the staff and the ship were, they couldn't hold a candle to my awesome boyfriend. We shared a much-anticipated champagne split (my first indulgence since August!) on the observation deck as we departed between the Manhattan skyline and the lights of Brooklyn (where he was born 41 years ago that night). It was a beautiful clear night, and luckily for us it was also quite cold - we were alone up there. The Naughty Norwegian, romantic fool that he is, seized the moment and proposed. Lady Liberty was our witness. 8)

But I'm not changing my handle. :P
Congratulations! That's wonderful news. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

traininvain

#16 Post by traininvain » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Congratulations, that is wonderful news!

Now can Marley use your story during a BAM interview? :wink:
Enjoy every sandwich

marrymeflyfree

#17 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:33 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Congratulations!

Since I am nosy, I will ask, have you set a date yet?

Thanks! And no, not yet....we are just starting to talk about all of that, but it won't be until after the kiddo has arrived.

melleon

#18 Post by melleon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Congrats on all your news! Glad you had a great time in Norway! What are some of the traditions the Norwegians follow at Christmas?
Happy to hear your cousins' babe is on the mend! BTW when is your due date? mEL

marrymeflyfree

#19 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:40 pm

melleon wrote:Congrats on all your news! Glad you had a great time in Norway! What are some of the traditions the Norwegians follow at Christmas?
Happy to hear your cousins' babe is on the mend! BTW when is your due date? mEL
Thanks for the congrats - and thank you again for your offer while they were there in Atlanta. It was such a whirlwind while they were there, and they were touched that a stranger made such a kind gesture. :) And to answer your question, Cletus the Fetus is due to arrive on May 11th. Another Taurus in the house..yikes!

The Norwegian christmas couldn't be more different than what I grew up with..the typical rush to the tree in jammies on Christmas morning a la Ralphie in A Christmas Story. Family dinners were common but not a necessity, and usually a potluck affair with everyone piling paper plates high with food with the parade on TV in the background. Christmas eve was for last-minute shopping, wrapping, and midnight mass.

There, Christmas Eve is the big event. It starts at 5pm, with everyone in suits and nice dresses and a glass of champagne ready to toast as the Solvguttene (Silver Boys - a famous Norwegian boys choir) begin their annual concert. It follows with multiple courses (the fishes to start, followed by all of the pigs, then dessert) for dinner on the best family china with never-empty glasses of beer and aquavit. After dinner come the gifts. I suppose where kids here can't bear going to bed to wait for Christmas morning, there the kids agonize through dinner in anxious anticipation! After the gifts, the adults have coffee, cognac, kransekake (a traditional cake), and marzipan candies, and the kids play with their new toys.

And it starts all over again with another dressy dinner, just as big, on Christmas day - but this time with extended family and friends. Last year we had a third day of big formal dinners at a cousin's home, too - but this year chose a day to rest and digest instead! The decorations are simple and beautiful, and full of candles as Norwegians seem to have a thing for them. This year I counted 49 candles in use....counted them as I lit them for fear I'd miss one when putting them out later in the evening. Christmas trees (the fake variety being completely taboo!) are rarely out before the 23rd, and are usually taken down very soon after the holiday is over.

One thing that I really, really like is that it isn't as commercial as it is here. The gifts are typically fewer and smaller, and most stores are still closed on the 26th - even in the big cities. (I know this after a futile and short-lived search for pantyhose the other day. Ack!) The whole thing is nice and simple and more oriented toward being together rather than outdoing last year's gifts. :D

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 pm

Congratulations!! A happy life to you both!

On a side note, the Norwegian beer Ringnes is my very favorite brewski of all time. They used to have that brand at the Norway pavilion at EPCOT in Walt Disney World, but no longer. Apparently they could no longer get it imported. I always enjoyed a couple of glasses of it when we went to EPCOT, and was disappointed when they no longer had it. I don't drink all that much anymore, but a frosty mug of that stuff every now & then sure would be a treat.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

JBillyGirl

#21 Post by JBillyGirl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Just what this place needed -- a double shot of good news! I am thrilled to hear about your soon-to-be new family. Happy new year and many congratulations! :D

marrymeflyfree

#22 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:47 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote: On a side note, the Norwegian beer Ringnes is my very favorite brewski of all time. They used to have that brand at the Norway pavilion at EPCOT in Walt Disney World, but no longer. Apparently they could no longer get it imported. I always enjoyed a couple of glasses of it when we went to EPCOT, and was disappointed when they no longer had it. I don't drink all that much anymore, but a frosty mug of that stuff every now & then sure would be a treat.

Mmm ringnes....! I could go for one right now myself. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen it sold in the states either. Alcohol is so expensive there (~$10 for a half liter of beer in bars..well closer to $12 now with the dollar so weak!) - it probably doesn't make them much money to export it.

peacock2121

#23 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:45 am

Happy engagement!

He is a lucky guy - you said yes!

Catfish

#24 Post by Catfish » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Congrats!!

Love,
Catfish