The Game of Life

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

The Game of Life

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:04 pm

We played that as well.

I kicked butt.

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:06 pm

The Game of Life is like the real thing. Mostly boring, and done too soon. Gimme a cutthroat game of Clue or Monopoly, any day!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:20 pm

Apples to Apples seems to be the current favorite at our family gatherings. A game where adults and kids down to about 9 or 10ish can play together because there is no real right or wrong way to play.

Once you can read and have some semblance of a vocabulary you have a chance. Heck, sometimes just blindly throwing in a card can be a winner. Even younger kids can play with a little adult supervision although it tends to slow things down a bit.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:34 pm

gsabc wrote:The Game of Life is like the real thing. Mostly boring, and done too soon. Gimme a cutthroat game of Clue or Monopoly, any day!
I've never played a game of Life, I'll take GS's word that I'm not missing anything.

There was a game of Monopoly played at a long-ago SteelersFanFamily gathering that is legend -- it happened longer ago than SteelersFan and I got married, which is quite some time, and it's still being talked about. It involved what I consider to be the worst aspect of the game -- that the outcome is sometimes determined by family dynamics rather than by game play. SteelersFan's BIL pressed his then very young son into selling him some property at below market value, and it won him the game. I won't play Monopoly unless the players are all adults and somewhat equal in competitiveness.

Give me Clue any day.

ladysoleil

#5 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:Apples to Apples seems to be the current favorite at our family gatherings. A game where adults and kids down to about 9 or 10ish can play together because there is no real right or wrong way to play.

Once you can read and have some semblance of a vocabulary you have a chance. Heck, sometimes just blindly throwing in a card can be a winner. Even younger kids can play with a little adult supervision although it tends to slow things down a bit.
I'm partial to Apples to Apples. It's one of those party games that works well even when most of the party is, erm, inebriated somewhat. ;)

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:08 pm

It's one of those party games that works well even when most of the party is, erm, inebriated somewhat

I bought one of those on clearance at Target last night:

Cranium. Rumor has it, if alcohol is involved, it can come close to getting one (or more) kicked out of one's hotel room, right, Peaby? Kusch?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 pm

ladysoleil wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:Apples to Apples seems to be the current favorite at our family gatherings. A game where adults and kids down to about 9 or 10ish can play together because there is no real right or wrong way to play.

I'm partial to Apples to Apples. It's one of those party games that works well even when most of the party is, erm, inebriated somewhat. ;)
Yes, kinda like playing the game with younger kids. Results are about the same!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

kusch

#8 Post by kusch » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:38 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
It's one of those party games that works well even when most of the party is, erm, inebriated somewhat

Cranium. Rumor has it, if alcohol is involved, it can come close to getting one (or more) kicked out of one's hotel room, right, Peaby? Kusch?

t.
WTF??? Why am I brought into this? :oops:

You ever heard of what happens in Pea's room stays in Pea's room? Duh!!!

And another thing, you all can have your Apples to Apples, not my idea of fun. And yes, I got stuck playing it over Christmas. I much prefer laying on a couch and watching football with my eyes closed. :lol:

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:43 pm

WTF??? Why am I brought into this

How could you not be?? When I saw the game I started laughing. A woman passing me in the aisle gave me a wider berth. An image of you trying to get us to guess Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider filled my head, and I had to buy the game. :roll:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:46 pm

gsabc wrote:The Game of Life is like the real thing. Mostly boring, and done too soon. Gimme a cutthroat game of Clue or Monopoly, any day!
I said the same thing when we were done. I wanted something with strategy at least.

Pealette then pointed out that we each played the game the way we play life. I was slow and steady and made no real mistakes and moved along each year and won the race.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:47 pm

I do not know thia game.

Can someone give me an overview?

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:48 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

t.
LOL - I can get close to peeing my pants when I take myself back to that game.

kusch is a funny guy.

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:50 pm

kusch wrote: Why am I brought into this? :oops:

:lol:
Ha! Then why did you refuse to enter said room when you had a chance?

huh?

kusch

#14 Post by kusch » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:56 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
kusch wrote: Why am I brought into this? :oops:

:lol:
Ha! Then why did you refuse to enter said room when you had a chance?

huh?

You are misremembering. Really you are. I did enter said room. If fact, I discussed it with my daughter and friend (from college) while they were here for Christmas. Honest. I will tell you what I told them if you are misremembering like I am almost 99.999% sure you are.

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Okay - you let the door shut and you never walked into the room and your butt was touching the door.

You also looked so uncomfortable that it was sweet.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:59 pm

You can tell me your version now.

I am ready.

kusch

#17 Post by kusch » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:04 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Okay - you let the door shut and you never walked into the room and your butt was touching the door.

You also looked so uncomfortable that it was sweet.
The door was closed. My butt was on the bed opening the "gift" that you gave me. I had to explain the "gift" to my daughter and her friend as they were curious about the "gift". They laughed.

And yes, you are correct, I was uncomfortable as it broke one of my rules---being alone with another female in a hotel room if such female is not my wife, mother or daughter. I did not have that rule prior to marriage however. :D

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Okay - I'll go with your version of remembering.

I am sorry you had to break your rule. I wish you had told me, as I would have gladly brought your gift to the lobby and have you open it there.

Do you ever use your gift?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:13 pm

We played "What's Yours Like?" over the weekend.

http://www.patchproducts.com/store/view ... roduct=745

You pick a card and describe a common object. One person has to guess what the object is based on the clues. These are clues from an actual game we played.

I use it inside of me.
I use mine every day.
Mine is bloody.
Mine is plastic.
Mine vibrates.
Mine has music.

Guess what the object is:
Spoiler
A Toothbrush.

kusch

#20 Post by kusch » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:14 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Okay - I'll go with your version of remembering.

I am sorry you had to break your rule. I wish you had told me, as I would have gladly brought your gift to the lobby and have you open it there.

Do you ever use your gift?
Don't be sorry, it was my decision.

No, I really don't use it. And especially not now because every time I would bring it to my lips I would visualize your avatar ass. :lol:

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:20 pm

I bought 3 - one for you, one for bdm and one for me.

I use mine about every third day. I use it to have my morning coffee.

bdm has nails and screws stored in his.

kusch

#22 Post by kusch » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:22 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
WTF??? Why am I brought into this

How could you not be?? When I saw the game I started laughing. A woman passing me in the aisle gave me a wider berth. An image of you trying to get us to guess Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider filled my head, and I had to buy the game. :roll:

t.
Oh, and Ms. tlynn---I am glad that I could help "fill your head", there is a lot to fill up there. :lol:

And Ms. 5LD, don't even think about responding. :P

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#23 Post by hermillion » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:41 pm

This thread makes me wish I had found the Bored much earlier. What I wouldn't give to have been present at this event!!!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

tanstaafl2

#24 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm

peacock2121 wrote:

I do not know thia game.

Can someone give me an overview?
Relatively simple really. About 4-10 people can play. You really need at least 4 I think and it is the kind of game where more players are better. Usually.

It has two sets of cards. One set is green (green apples I suppose) and has a "characteristic" of a person, place, thing, or event. Words like delicate, heroic, dirty, courgeous.
The second and larger set of cards is red (red apples) and has either a person, place, thing or event. Think famous people like Einstein, Edison, locations like Paris or London, or descriptions like "your high school", "your first kiss". Larger sets typically come with a few blanks cards on which you can write your own topic such as the names of the typical players in your group.

Each player receives 7 red cards. Each turn of the game one person serves as the "judge" and turns over one green card, announcing the word found on it. The other players then choose the red card in their hand that they think is the best match to the green card played by the judge and put it face down on the center of the table, keeping in mind the personality of the judge for that turn and their own sense of humor or preferences. The judge mixes them up so they don't know who played which card.

For example the word might be "honest". For one judge the answer might be "democrats" but for another judge of a different persuasion it might be better to play "republicans" (for me it would be none of the above...). But hopefully you get the point.

The judge is free to choose any of the red cards played that they feel is the best match (the apples to apples comparison part). But there is no rule as to how they decide. Could be the most literal match, could be the most humorous match. Could make no sense what so ever to anyone else. It is the judges choice. The other players are free to try to persuade the judge for or against any of the choices until they make their choice.

Once they choose the round is over, the one who played the red card that the judge chooses gets to keep the green card and the job of judge rotates to the next player. And everybody who played gets a new card. You always start each round with 7 cards.

Winner is the first player to collect X green cards. How many is usually dependent on how many players you have. If you have enough players one good rule to use is the "you snooze, you lose" rule. That means that the last player to throw down a red card has to take it back so that you can't sit there forever and think about which card to play. Gotta be quick because if you don't have a card played you can't be chosen!

Can also try this link for a demo:
http://www.otb-games.com/demo/flash.html
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#25 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:We played "What's Yours Like?" over the weekend.

http://www.patchproducts.com/store/view ... roduct=745

You pick a card and describe a common object. One person has to guess what the object is based on the clues. These are clues from an actual game we played.

I use it inside of me.
I use mine every day.
Mine is bloody.
Mine is plastic.
Mine vibrates.
Mine has music.

Guess what the object is:
Spoiler
A Toothbrush.
Music? Was on the right track until that.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2