The Deals Get Bigger

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

The Deals Get Bigger

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:59 am

Starting Jan. 2, Deal or No Deal will add an additional $1 million case every game until someone wins a million dollars (i.e. if there are only two cases left and they both have the $1 million, then they are guaranteed a win). I'm sure that NBC will drop its usual delicate hints about what would be a really, really good night to watch the show.

No one has actually won the $1 million yet. If I recall, only one person actually picked the $1 million case but didn't go all the way.

Now if I was cynical, I would suspect this of being a ploy to get higher ratings for shows that might otherwise be part of a massive audience tuneout as part of the fallout from the writer's strike.

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am

Wake me when they offer $1MM to a viewer through the website. Even then, I'd only enter the sweepstakes and would spend the rest of the show's air time in more useful endeavors than actually watching it.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:06 am

gsabc wrote:Wake me when they offer $1MM to a viewer through the website. Even then, I'd only enter the sweepstakes and would spend the rest of the show's air time in more useful endeavors than actually watching it.
Wake me when they let us qualify to be a contestant through their website. (No audition, no video, no personality screening. Just random luck, like the boring game, itself.)

_TPTB_
Merry Man

#4 Post by _TPTB_ » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Wake me when they let us qualify to be a contestant through their website. (No audition, no video, no personality screening. Just random luck, like the boring game, itself.)

Skip! Call 911! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! :shock:

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:10 am

_TPTB_ wrote: Skip! Call 911! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! :shock:
What's your hurry, Skip? I've got some nice Christmas candy here--Ferrero Rocher! :twisted:

Skip the Intern
Merry Man

#6 Post by Skip the Intern » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
_TPTB_ wrote: Skip! Call 911! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! :shock:
What's your hurry, Skip? I've got some nice Christmas candy here--Ferrero Rocher! :twisted:

Ooooh! Just put the candy there next to my bowl of gruel.

I don't have time to make phone calls for _TPTB_ anyway. He's got me busy reauditing the books for 1973...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:23 am

gsabc wrote:Wake me when they offer $1MM to a viewer through the website. Even then, I'd only enter the sweepstakes and would spend the rest of the show's air time in more useful endeavors than actually watching it.
It will be $1,000,000 to the viewer, payable over 50 years.

elwoodblues

#8 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:19 am

Wake me when they let us qualify to be a contestant through their website. (No audition, no video, no personality screening. Just random luck, like the boring game, itself.)

It will be a long time before we see another game show that uses a phone game or other means of qualifying that runs the risk of letting someone through who is not entertaining enough by network standards. I know DoND is not in this group, but I am starting to tire of trivia-based game shows in which trivia knowledge is not a high priority for contest selection.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#9 Post by kayrharris » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:47 pm

I seldom see DoND when it airs primetime. I do ocasionally catch a rerun on CNBC. I'm with Marley, I think contestants chosen at random by some time of phone entry would work just fine.

Last week I saw a show with a woman whose hook was apparently how loud she could be. It was the most irritiating 5 minutes of my life. I couldn't stand it after that and changed stations.