QOD Thursday 12-27 "THAT GIRL IS POISON"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
JBillyGirl

Re: QOD Thursday 12-27 "THAT GIRL IS POISON"

#26 Post by JBillyGirl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:49 am

Spoiler
1. This actress won her only Oscar out of 5 nominations for portraying accused murderess Barbara Graham in the movie, I Want to Live! -- Susan Hayward

2. This Hungarian “Blood Countess” was allegedly responsible for the murders of hundreds of young women before the authorities went all Cask of Amontillado on her ass. -- can't recall

3. Born in 1910, this woman was part of a gang that carried out a string of robberies in the early 30’s, although there are conflicting reports on whether she was actually involved in any of the shootouts or killings. The spree only lasted a few years before she and her partner were killed in a May 1934 ambush. -- Bonnie Parker

4. This woman and her husband, Paul Bernardo, are possibly the most infamous killers in Canadian history. Responsible for the deaths of three woman (one being her sister) and suspected of others, she cut a deal for manslaughter and was released in 2005 after serving 12 years. -- NFC; guess I shoulda been Canadian

5. Mary Surratt was the first woman to be executed by the United States government, by hanging in 1865. She was found guilty of being a conspirator in what crime? -- the assassination of Lincoln

QOD: This woman has been accused of incest, helping to plot the murder of her second husband, dispatching people with poison that she carried in a ring and having an actual poisoner on staff (when she was just too busy to take care of it herself, I guess), among other things. History can prove none of this and actually shows that she was a decent person who just had the misfortune to be born into a family full of nefarious characters and ill tempered rounders. And, as she died at age 39 after the birth of her 8th child by her third husband, when would she have found the time? -- Lucrezia Borgia (I hope!)

15! Point Bonus: She got bossed into a lot of marriages and troubles by her daddy the Pope, who apparently thought he was all that and a bag. You get 5 points for his Pope name, 5 points for his Number and no points for his real name (oh, heck, I know that if you know it, you're going to mention it anyway, so I'll toss in another fin for that. Ha!) -- a Hail Mary for the pope name: Sextus

5 Point Bonus Bonus: Her brother was the real bad actor in the family. What was his name? -- Cesare Borgia?

5 Point Bonus Bonus Bonus: What’s the origin of today’s title? -- prolly a rock song, but alas NFC

ghostjmf

#27 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Spoiler
Since this appears still to be open:

2. Oh darn I do know it

3. Bonnie of Bonnie & Clyde. Clyde's last name was Barrow. Was Bonnie ever officially Bonnie Barrow? Oh darn

5. Assassination of Lincoln

QotD: Lucretia Borgia

bonus: "De Medici" is still banging around in my head, & I know one got himself appointed Pope, so that's my guess.

bonus bonus: Lorenzo Di Medici. I don't remember which brother was which.

BonusX3: the movie theater owners, talking about Katherine Hepburn?

ghostjmf

#28 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 pm

I do watch J! (just to study for BAM; ha!, I have a better chance of getting on J! at this point, where I would get creamed), but when visiting have layed off begging to have taped stuff we usually watch but sometimes are out & miss. And I was not taping the clue-episode back at the ranch, only next Tuesday's show in case the plane is late (or they offer me yet another yummy free coupon).

fantine33

Re: QOD Thursday 12-27 "THAT GIRL IS POISON"

#29 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:43 am

Lots of high scores today! I guess I'm not alone in my bloodlust, just alone in admitting it. Ha! Those pesky Jeopardy people helping out on the QOD doubling might have had something to do with it as well.

12/27 That Girl is Poison

1. This actress won her only Oscar out of 5 nominations for portraying accused murderess Barbara Graham in the movie, I Want to Live!

SUSAN HAYWARD

2. This Hungarian “Blood Countess” was allegedly responsible for the murders of hundreds of young women before the authorities went all Cask of Amontillado on her ass.

ELIZABETH BATHORY

3. Born in 1910, this woman was part of a gang that carried out a string of robberies in the early 30’s, although there are conflicting reports on whether she was actually involved in any of the shootouts or killings. The spree only lasted a few years before she and her partner were killed in a May 1934 ambush.

BONNIE PARKER

4. This woman and her husband, Paul Bernardo, are possibly the most infamous killers in Canadian history. Responsible for the deaths of three woman (one being her sister) and suspected of others, she cut a deal for manslaughter and was released in 2005 after serving 12 years.

KARLA HOMOLKA

BoB, I think you actually got this book after Ellie, Soozin and I were discussing it one night in chat. Who knew that all these years later that would be worth QOD points to you?

5. Mary Surratt was the first woman to be executed by the United States government, by hanging in 1865. She was found guilty of being a conspirator in what crime?

ABRAHAM LINCOLN ASSASSINATION

QOD: This woman has been accused of incest, helping to plot the murder of her second husband, dispatching people with poison that she carried in a ring and having an actual poisoner on staff (when she was just too busy to take care of it herself, I guess), among other things. History can prove none of this and actually shows that she was a decent person who just had the misfortune to be born into a family full of nefarious characters and ill tempered rounders. And, as she died at age 39 after the birth of her 8th child by her third husband, when would she have found the time?

LUCREZIA BORGIA

15! Point Bonus: She got bossed into a lot of marriages and troubles by her daddy the Pope, who apparently thought he was all that and a bag. You get 5 points for his Pope name, 5 points for his Number and no points for his real name (oh, heck, I know that if you know it, you're going to mention it anyway, so I'll toss in another fin for that. Ha!)

POPE ALEXANDER VI aka RODRIGO BORGIA ne LLANCOL (as "somebody" helpfully pointed out. Ha!)

5 Point Bonus Bonus: Her brother was the real bad actor in the family. What was his name?

CESARE, detto il Valentino
(as "somebody" helpfully pointed out.)

Maybe I should have done an entire Borgia QOD? (As a child, I wished my name was Lucretia, my parents refused to go along with it. Ha!)

5 Point Bonus Bonus Bonus: What’s the origin of today’s title?

BELL! BIV! DEVOE!

There were also 20 Super Special Secret Bonus Points for Annie Camaro and Tanstaafl. You two impressed me so much! If anybody is curious about this, you can find the information here.

viewtopic.php?p=24510#24510

Although, if you don't know what that was all about, you're not reading this, either. Ha!

Quiz QOD Bonus Total
50 50 10 110 VAdame
40 40 20 100 ToLiveisToFly
40 40 5 85 saucy
30 30 20 80 wintergreen
30 30 15 75 KillerTomato
30 30 10 70 ne1410s
30 30 5 65 jbillygirl
30 30 5 65 mrkelley
20 20 25 65 AnnieCamaro
30 30 0 60 kayrharris
30 30 0 60 Marley
30 30 0 60 nelly
30 30 0 60 nitrah
30 30 0 60 tbone
20 20 20 60 tanstaafl
20 20 15 55 tlynn
20 20 5 45 andrewjackson
20 20 0 40 mikehardware
20 20 0 40 seersucker
30 0 0 30 peacock
20 0 5 25 littlebeast
10 10 0 20 ghostjmf
10 10 0 20 jarnon
10 0 5 15 starfish

peacock2121

#30 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 am

Well....... crap.

I am always harping about 'doing complete work' and I read the answers, I just didn't do complete work and read the preamble to the answers.

Good job to Annie and free lunch guy.

fantine33

#31 Post by fantine33 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Well....... crap.

I am always harping about 'doing complete work' and I read the answers, I just didn't do complete work and read the preamble to the answers.

Good job to Annie and free lunch guy.
See? You never know what interesting tidbits might be contained within my ramblings. Ha!

Since you and Kay actually read the answers to this, I do believe that the two of you had a chance at the 20, though. (Also, Kay has commented on the answers and standings before. Probably because I threatened her when I demanded that she play the QOD, so she makes sure to cover all bases.)

peacock2121

#32 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:28 am

So...... threatening kay works, huh?

Good to know.

Asking me nicely works - threatening - not so much.

You are not the boss of me.

Unless you be the boss of me by asking nicely, then you can be the boss of me all you want.