Pats game to be simulcast

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ne1410s

Pats game to be simulcast

#1 Post by ne1410s » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:56 pm

On CBS and NBC and NFL Network!!

When was the last time an NFL game was broadcast on both CBS and NBC?
Spoiler
Super Bowl I (1967)
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:11 pm

It's about time they started thinking about the fans.

A good decision on their part if you ask me. I have no reason to subscribe to the NFL network as I generally see most of the games I'm interested in.
It would have been a shame to miss this one.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:41 pm

The management at our local ABC affiliate has to be pissed. They already had a contract, even before the season started, to broadcast this game. They've been advertising it for weeks. Now both of the other major Boston stations will be carrying it, too. So much for the exclusive. This'll be worse than blizzard coverage, all three stations going head-to-head with the same information.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:07 am

CBS holds the rights to interconference games in which the AFC team is the road team, as here. NBC has exclusive rights to network primetime regular season games. Both CBS and NBC would otherwise be showing reruns of CSI or Law and Order since Saturday night is usually a huge network wasteland, so it's a no-brainer for them. I'm sure NFL Network will make out very well on the advertising revenue they get for this game.

The game will feature the NFL Network broadcast team and will undoubtedly promote the network heavily. My guess is that during the offseason, the network will revise its fee demands to something more reasonable and work out a deal with most if not all of the cable companies.They saw that the cable companies were not going to budge, and if they couldn't get any leverage with a game of this magnitude, they weren't going to get anywhere next year when they wouldn't have a game like this as a drawing card.

Frankly, a network that has only eight games a year, some of which will undoubtedly be duds like Indy-Atlanta and Cincy-SF, and relies the rest of the year on highlight shows and reruns of old games can't expect to command premium rates and NFL Network probably is ready to accept that fact now.

fantine33

#5 Post by fantine33 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:39 am

I'm hoping this is a nationwide thing. I was going to stay home on Saturday night in order to watch the game but I might not have to if it's on network tv (I might stay home anyway, I'm so spoiled by sports in HD.)

Now if I could get Madden/Michaels or Martin/Lewis or Kukla, Fran and Ollie instead of Gumbel, I'd take the low def, ha!

Could be worse, though. Could be Gumbel/Kornheiser. He almost drove me insane Monday night insisting that nobody knew who Ladainian Tomlinson was, unlike someone like Tiki Barber. Jaworski kept telling him in so many words that he was an idiot and anybody who followed football certainly knew LT, so he amended that to say only people who follow football know who he is, and that's a small and limited group. What?

Of course, this is the man who asked Deanna Favre if she knew how to pronounce Brett's last name. Finally Jaworski just gave up and let him hammer it into the ground (at one point, he even said people would know who he was if he played for Chicago. WTF?).

It has inspired a fun new game in our family, though. Whenever an advertisement featuring LT comes on, we see who can be the first to come out with a "Say, isn't that Tiki Barber?" comment. Ha!

lilclyde54

#6 Post by lilclyde54 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:45 pm

When the cable companies didn't cave for the Green Bay/Dallas game, I think it showed their resolve to stand fast. The New England/ NY Giants game was their (NFLN) last chance to salvage something, so it seems that they are just trying to give the non subscribers a taste of what they are missing. Considering the quality of their annnouncing team, they may wish that they had kept everyone in the dark.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Snaxx

#7 Post by Snaxx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:29 pm

gsabc wrote:The management at our local ABC affiliate has to be pissed. They already had a contract, even before the season started, to broadcast this game. They've been advertising it for weeks. Now both of the other major Boston stations will be carrying it, too. So much for the exclusive. This'll be worse than blizzard coverage, all three stations going head-to-head with the same information.
Ditto for channel 9 "My Network" in NYC.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen: