National Treasure

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

National Treasure

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:54 pm

All four of us intended on going to the 12:30 showing, but it was sold out, so we had to wait until 1:15 to see the movie. There were lines for the movie when we left as well.

It was a pretty good popcorn movie. It's not the best movie that I have seen this year, but it's far from the worst. There was 1/2 hour of trailers and other stuff before the movie, but the movie itself moved along quickly.

Maddie made a funny comment.
Spoiler
In the movie, Ben and Riley have to break into Buckingham Palace to find an artifact. Knowing that Helen Mirren was in the movie, she thought that it would be funny if she caught them breaking into her office as the Queen, then appeared later on as Ben's mom.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

!

#2 Post by kayrharris » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:15 pm

I sent my whole crew out to the movie about 45 minutes ago. Man, is it nice to have some peace and quiet. It's been nonstop here since 7:00AM and I am exhausted!

I hate that tomorrow is a work day. What's up with that anyway? It should be mandatory to get the day after Christmas regardless of what day of the week it happens to fall.
:oops:

Last year we had one customer whose dog knocked the Christmas down, it hit the coffee table, which had a lit candle on it and caught the house on fire!
Hopefully, this has been a much more serene Christmas day. The weather people here got the forecast completely wrong. Instead of sunny and 60 it was rainy and 40!

I'm sure tomorrow will be a perfect day weather wise.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: !

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:54 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Last year we had one customer whose dog knocked the Christmas down, it hit the coffee table, which had a lit candle on it and caught the house on fire!
If I had a dog, something like this would happen to me. :)

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:00 pm

There is a Goofy cartoon before the movie about "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater System." It's not very flat out funny, but it's good to see Disney doing some of their traditional animation and anyone who has bought a big screen tv or home theater system recently can empathize with it. As for the movie itself,
Spoiler
It's the exact same movie as the first National Treasure. Essentially Nicolas Cage and pals go through essentially the same puzzle solving process at famous landmarks and wind up in a bizarre lost city filled with death traps which they narrowly avoid.

Other than the introduction of Helen Mirren as Cage's mother, there's nothing new this time around, but for those who enjoyed the style of the first one, it's easily disposable entertainment. If you liked the first, you'll like this, and vice versa.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:13 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: If you liked the first, you'll like this, and vice versa.
I liked the first. Of course, I saw it on a plane on my way to Hawaii. I could have liked the Ice Cube movies under those circumstances.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:00 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spoiler
If you liked the first, you'll like this, and vice versa.
Spoiler
Do they explain what was done with the first treasure they found?

Those founding fathers must have been awfully thrifty fellows; two such National Treasures goes way beyond that "penny saved" advice of Ben Franklin's! 8)

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
Do they explain what was done with the first treasure they found?

Those founding fathers must have been awfully thrifty fellows; two such National Treasures goes way beyond that "penny saved" advice of Ben Franklin's! 8)
Spoiler
This time the treasure is the "lost city of gold" which the ancient Indians managed to build and hide underground near Mount Rushmore. According to the movie, the reason the Mount Rushmore monument was built was to destroy markings which might have let people find the city.

ne1410s

#8 Post by ne1410s » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:04 pm

I liked the first one and will probably (shudder) go to a theater to see this one. The first was just good clean fun.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm

ne1410s wrote:I liked the first one and will probably (shudder) go to a theater to see this one. The first was just good clean fun.
The second is the same.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm

The kids who loved the first one went last night, and loved the second one just as much.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Spoiler
This time the treasure is the "lost city of gold" which the ancient Indians managed to build and hide underground near Mount Rushmore. According to the movie, the reason the Mount Rushmore monument was built was to destroy markings which might have let people find the city.
I've been in
Spoiler
those caves around Mt. Rushmore
. I would not have to suspend belief - much. Mystical, they are.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 pm

tlynn78 wrote: I've been in
Spoiler
those caves around Mt. Rushmore
. I would not have to suspend belief - much. Mystical, they are.

t.
Spoiler
You mean Jewel Cave and Wind Cave? Yeah, those are neat!

I particularly liked reading the book about the couple who spent decades exploring and mapping Jewel Cave. It started out being labelled as "a small cave" and turned out to be one of the longest cave systems in the world!

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Spoiler
You mean Jewel Cave and Wind Cave? Yeah, those are neat!

I particularly liked reading the book about the couple who spent decades exploring and mapping Jewel Cave. It started out being labelled as "a small cave" and turned out to be one of the longest cave systems in the world!
Simply incredible, breathtaking.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire