QOD Tuesday 12-25 "I AM SANTA CLAUS"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

QOD Tuesday 12-25 "I AM SANTA CLAUS"

#1 Post by fantine33 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:20 am

Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh duh duh! (That's Geezer Butler's bass line, just in case you didn't recognize it. Ha!)

So, Santa Claus. What a concept, huh? Apparently, everbody has their own. The quiz today concerns Santa Round the World. Name the country that claims each one as their own personal Claus.

12/25 - I am Santa Claus!

1. Pere Noel

2. Joulupukki

3. Babbo Natale

4. Ded Moroz

5. Father Christmas

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”?

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus.

ne1410s

#2 Post by ne1410s » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:12 am

Merry Christmas, Fannie!!!!
Spoiler

1. Pere Noel --FRANCE

2. Joulupukki --FINLAND

3. Babbo Natale--ITALY

4. Ded Moroz --CZECH REP

5. Father Christmas --GREAT BRITAIN

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? CLEMENT MOORE

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. THOMAS NAST (I HOPE)
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

ToLiveIsToFly

Re: QOD Tuesday 12-25 "I AM SANTA CLAUS"

#3 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:40 am

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel
FRANCE

2. Joulupukki
HUNGARY?

3. Babbo Natale
ITALY

4. Ded Moroz
RUSSIA

5. Father Christmas
ENGLAND

CLEMENT MOORE

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus.
NAST

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:53 am

fantine33 wrote:Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh duh duh! (That's Geezer Butler's bass line, just in case you didn't recognize it. Ha!)

So, Santa Claus. What a concept, huh? Apparently, everbody has their own. The quiz today concerns Santa Round the World. Name the country that claims each one as their own personal Claus.

1. Pere Noel

2. Joulupukki

3. Babbo Natale

4. Ded Moroz

5. Father Christmas

Spoiler
1. France
2. Finland
3. Italy
4. Russia
5. Great Britain (and Narnia)

QoD - Clement Moore, although there is some dispute about this

10 point bonus - Thomas Nast
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:56 am

Spoiler

1. France (and Quebec, but that's not a country)
2. India?
3. Italy
4. Russia?
5. England

QOD: Clement Moore wrote "A Visit From St. Nicholas," which is more popularly known as "Twas The Night Before Christmas".

Bonus: Thomas Nast

Buon natale, Cara!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

wintergreen48

#6 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:51 am

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel = France

2. Joulupukki = Sounds Finnish, so I will say Finland

3. Babbo Natale = Italy

4. Ded Moroz = Slavic, but where... I will say Russia, although it does not seem quite right ('ded' is not quite 'grandfather' and not quite 'uncle', so I am not entirely satisfied...)

5. Father Christmas = Great Britain

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? You did, just now (hah!) But you probably want Clement Moore

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. = Thomas Nast

andrewjackson

#7 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:09 am

Spoiler
1. France (and probably part of Belgium and several other Francophone countries but I'll stick with France). France, final answer.

2. Finland

3. Italy

4. Russia (once again possibly a few other countries with similar cultures and Slavic languages). Russia, final answer.

5. Country? I think United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the best answer

QOD: Whoa! This is a tough one. Clement Moore is usually given credit for writing "A Visit from St. Nicholas" also known as "Twas the Night Before Christmas" but there is some controversy about this. I'll go ahead and say Clement Moore.

10 Point Bonus: Thomas Nast
No matter where you go, there you are.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#8 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:07 pm

I like this Christmas stuff!
Spoiler
1. France
2. Finland
3. Italy
4. I think that's Grandfather Frost, so the answer is Russia.
5. England (or the United Kingdom)

Bonus: Clement Moore
Bonus bonus: Thomas Nast
I had the nicest Christmas ever, and I got to sniff Isabella. She has puppy breath, which is nice! I gave her a present, too, that said "from Annie" on the tag. It was the Baby Einstein CD of Mr. Mozart music. Now she can grow up to be smart like me, even if she goes to regular school instead of Home School.
Sou iu koto de.

a1mamacat

#9 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:39 pm

fantine33 wrote:Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh duh duh! (That's Geezer Butler's bass line, just in case you didn't recognize it. Ha!)

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel France

2. Joulupukki Japan

3. Babbo Natale Italy

4. Ded Moroz NAC

5. Father Christmas England

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? Clement Moore

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. NAC - Rockwell?
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

mikehardware

#10 Post by mikehardware » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Spoiler

1. Pere Noel - France

2. Joulupukki - ?

3. Babbo Natale - ?

4. Ded Moroz - ?

5. Father Christmas - Great Britain

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? - Clement Moore

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. - Nast?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:56 pm

1. Pere Noel

2. Joulupukki

3. Babbo Natale

4. Ded Moroz

5. Father Christmas

I'm pretty sure that your 10-point bonus question was a high-level question (I want to say $250,000) several years back. Want to make it worth my while to answer it? :twisted: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel
France

2. Joulupukki
It's one of the Scandinavian countries... I'll guess Sweden.

3. Babbo Natale
Italy

4. Ded Moroz
Spain

5. Father Christmas
England

Clement Moore

pass

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel France

2. Joulupukki Findland

3. Babbo Natale Spain

4. Ded Moroz NAC

5. Father Christmas England

It wasn't Clement Moore, I think his name was Lawrence

Nast

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:24 pm

Spoiler
Duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh duh duh duh! (That's Geezer Butler's bass line, just in case you didn't recognize it. Ha!)

1. Pere Noel FRANCE

2. Joulupukki SWEDEN??

3. Babbo Natale ITALY

4. Ded Moroz RUSSIA

5. Father Christmas ENGLAND

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? DUNNO

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus.[/quote]

10 PT Bonus NOPE FOR SURE

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:39 pm

1. Pere Noel

2. Joulupukki

3. Babbo Natale

4. Ded Moroz

5. Father Christmas

Spoiler
1-France
2-Finland?
3-Italy
4-Poland?
5-United Kingdom

QOD: Although it has come under a bit of dispute, Clement Moore is credited with authorship.
10PB: No idea.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

JBillyGirl

#16 Post by JBillyGirl » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel -- France

2. Joulupukki -- Finland

3. Babbo Natale -- Italy

4. Ded Moroz -- total WAG the Philippines

5. Father Christmas -- England

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? -- If this is the same as "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (OK maybe I'm being pedantic), then it would be Clement Clarke Moore.

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. -- Thomas Nast. I come from Morristown, NJ, and he lived here, so we hear about him all the time.

tanstaafl2

#17 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:50 pm

fantine33 wrote: 12/25 - I am Santa Claus!
Spoiler

1. Pere Noel
France

2. Joulupukki
I dunno. Sweden?

3. Babbo Natale
Italy?

4. Ded Moroz
Russia?

5. Father Christmas
Great Britain

A wee bit controversial as some say the authorship is still unclear. Originally published anonymously, it is typically attributed Clement Moore so I will make him my guess.

I dunno

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#18 Post by cindy.wellman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:15 am

Spoiler

1. France
2. That sounds Finnish, but I'm not sure. Finland
3. Italy
4. Goodness... Hungary?
5. England/Great Britain

QOD: Dang, I should know this. My bff and I were just talking today about how so many of our traditions, are relatively new. This poem came up during our conversation.

Bonus: Zero

mrkelley23

#19 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:58 am

1. Pere Noel

2. Joulupukki

3. Babbo Natale

4. Ded Moroz

5. Father Christmas

Spoiler
1. France
2. Finland
3. Italy
4. Russia
5. England/Great Britain

QoD: No answer, since I'm not sure if you mean the poem commonly called that (which may or may not have been written by Clem Moore) or some other work with which I am not familiar.

Bonus: Thomas Nast
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

nitrah55

#20 Post by nitrah55 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 am

Spoiler
1. FRANCE

2. HAWAII

3. TIALY

4. TURKEY

5. ENGLAND

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? CLEMENT CLARK MOORE

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. THOMAS NAST
I am about 25% sure of this.

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:57 am

Spoiler
1. France
2. nope
3. Italy
4. nope
5. Great Britain

QoD

Clement Moore

bonus

Nast
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:53 pm

Spoiler
1. Pere Noel - France

2. Joulupukki - Sweden

3. Babbo Natale - Italy

4. Ded Moroz - Russia

5. Father Christmas - England

QOD: Who wrote “Twas the Night Before Christmas”? Clement Moore

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus. nope

fantine33

#23 Post by fantine33 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that your 10-point bonus question was a high-level question (I want to say $250,000) several years back. Want to make it worth my while to answer it? :twisted: --Bob
No.

Ha!

(If that was 250k it must have been back in the "allow us to toss these buckets of money at you" portion of the run.)

fantine33

#24 Post by fantine33 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:39 pm

1. Pere Noel

FRANCE

2. Joulupukki

FINLAND

3. Babbo Natale

ITALY

4. Ded Moroz

RUSSIA

5. Father Christmas

UK, ENGLAND, GREAT BRITAIN, COUNTRIES WHERE THEY SPEAK ENGLISH, WHATEVER

CLEMENT C MOORE

Why do people think I'm so nefarious, either that or they are too suspicious. Ha! I see some people thought one in Wednesday's QOD was a trick question as well. I've said a couple of times that I'm not trying to trick anybody and if it is tricky (you know it's tricky) it's unintentional.

I put "Twas the Night Before Christmas" instead of "A Visit from St. Nicholas" to make it easier and more recognizable, since I think that's kind of the accepted name for it anymore. As for disputed authorship, usually the simple and obvious answer is the correct one (although I'm still holding out for Christopher Marlowe. Ha!)

So, I didn't give seersuckerman QOD points, but I didn't deduct any, either and I gave mrkelley QOD points given the way his answer was framed. For anyone else that put tentative qualifiers on their answer, if you had Moore in there, you got it.

10 Point Bonus: This illustrator drew many pictures of Santa for Harper’s in the mid to late 1800’s and is responsible for the modern image we have of Santa Claus.[/quote]

THOMAS NAST

Quiz QOD Bonus Total
50 50 10 110 andrewjackson
50 50 10 110 AnnieCamaro
50 50 10 110 earendel
50 50 10 110 mrkelley
50 50 10 110 wintergreen
40 40 10 90 jbillygirl
40 40 10 90 KillerTomato
40 40 10 90 ne1410s
40 40 10 90 ToLiveisToFly
40 40 0 80 peacock