Transcript 10/13/2009 Janine LoGelfo

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/13/2009 Janine LoGelfo

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Janine LoGelfo
Staten Island, NY
22 year old college student

Topic Tree (shown after six questions)
Competitions
Billy Crystal
Canadian Cities
Family Ancestry
Writers
French
At the Track
'80s Movies
U.S. Regions
Scandals
Beer
Guidebooks
Texas
Slang

$500 (Slang):
A popular way for teenagers to address each other, "cuz" is short for what?
A. Customer B. Cousin
C. Custodian D. Let's dizcuzz proper spelling
Spoiler
B. Cousin (:07)

$1000 (Texas):
In 2009, the Museum of North Texas History opened an exhibit featuring a collection of roughly 500 types of what hat?
A. Cowboy hat B. Top hat
C. Bowler D. Beret
Spoiler
A. Cowboy hat (:10)

$2000 (Guidebooks):
A series of city guidebooks, Mappetite promises to help travelers find good what?
A. Restaurants B. Theaters
C. Museums D. Beaches
Spoiler
A. Restaurants (:10)

$3000 (Beer):
As its name suggests, what two letters are prominently displayed in the Dos Equis beer logo? (Meredith mispronounces Dos Equis and is corrected)
A. QQ B. KK
C. XX D. EE
Spoiler
C. XX (:09)
$5000 (Scandals):
In 2009, disgraced financier Bernie Madoff was sentenced to how many years in prison?
A. 100 B. 150
C. 200 D. 250

ATA (:09)
ATA
A-8% B-75% C-8% D-9%
Spoiler
B. 150 (:06)

$7500 (U.S. Regions):
Home to several high-tech firms, which of these U.S. states features a region popularly known as "Silicon Forest"?
A. Oregon B. Colorado
C. Minnesota D. Utah

ATE at :21
ATE
Cokie did not know and offered a guess of Colorado because of the universities and it has an energy culture that leads to high tech. But says she is "making it up"
PAF at :19 She asked for Matt, then they briefly show all three PAF's
Estalamia(?) Staten Island NY
Vincent, Toms River NJ
Matt, Staten Island, NY
PAF
Matt shows a barely responsive, laid-back attitude. Thinks it is Oregon. Asked why it is because they have forests.
Mere says Matt is smoking something.
She calls for double-dip. Mere says let me start the clock first.
Spoiler
Double-dip, first answer was correct.
A. Oregon (:17)
Commercial break

Spoiler for next show, Viewers are asked to tune in tomorrow to see how a contestant handles this question:
Next show
Which of these household cleansers shares its name with a figure from Greek mythology?
A. Comet B. Clorox
C. Ajax D. Windex
$10K ('80s Movies):
"Surfer dude feuds with teacher while teenage girl loses her innocence" is a rough plot summary of what '80s movie?
A. The Breakfast Club B. Some Kind of Wonderful
C. Pretty in Pink D. Fast Times at Ridgement High
Spoiler
D. Fast Times at Ridgement High (:22)

Janine will return tomorrow

Snaxx

Re: Transcript 10/13/2009 Janine LoGelfo

#2 Post by Snaxx » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:24 pm

The last question was at least the second "rough plot summary" question recently. I think they brought them in as a response to Googling PAF's before knocking off the PAF. If I were still eligible I'd have to save the ATA for this because I would not expect Cokie or most of the experts to know it.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I missed today's show because my TiVo stopped receiving any channels except 4 until I rebooted it.

Looks like I didn't miss much. :(

Thanks, transcriptionist!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Janine LoGelfo
Staten Island, NY
WE®

$10K: I can eliminate "The Breakfast Club", but I didn't see any of the other three films. ATA.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 am

Bob Juch wrote:I missed today's show because my TiVo stopped receiving any channels except 4 until I rebooted it.

Looks like I didn't miss much. :(

Thanks, transcriptionist!
Some say she is hot.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:21 am

jacorbett70 wrote:The last question was at least the second "rough plot summary" question recently. I think they brought them in as a response to Googling PAF's before knocking off the PAF. If I were still eligible I'd have to save the ATA for this because I would not expect Cokie or most of the experts to know it.
And I'd have been cursing because this is exactly why I had a movie expert for a PAF. Probably would have used the DD here. Was stuck between A and D. Sad to say, I misremembered the Madoff sentence length.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#7 Post by Jeemie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:29 am

jacorbett70 wrote:The last question was at least the second "rough plot summary" question recently. I think they brought them in as a response to Googling PAF's before knocking off the PAF. If I were still eligible I'd have to save the ATA for this because I would not expect Cokie or most of the experts to know it.
Aren't you roughly my age? 80s movies is a subject that would cause you difficulty?

Did you know the answer?
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:31 am

gsabc wrote:Sad to say, I misremembered the Madoff sentence length.
He's not likely to serve the entire term, so what difference does the number make?

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:Sad to say, I misremembered the Madoff sentence length.
He's not likely to serve the entire term, so what difference does the number make?
He might serve the entire term if the prison turned him into a Ted Williamsicle.

Snaxx

#10 Post by Snaxx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 am

Jeemie wrote:
Aren't you roughly my age? 80s movies is a subject that would cause you difficulty?

Did you know the answer?
Alas I am a bit younger although old enough to be a teen in the mid to late 80s. I only could eliminate two of them (and only saw Breakfast Club) so would resort to a LL. 80s movies are hit or miss depending on when in the decade (first half of the decade likely miss) and my interests. I had KT and then SSS covering movies when I was there.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 am

Staten Island, NY
22 year old college student
From the heart of WE® country.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Slang):
A. Customer B. Cousin
Spoiler
Not that this was a difficult question, but I've never heard teenagers refer to each other that way. Is this a regionalism?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7500 (U.S. Regions):
Home to several high-tech firms, which of these U.S. states features a region popularly known as "Silicon Forest"?
A. Oregon B. Colorado
C. Minnesota D. Utah

ATE at :21
ATE
Cokie did not know and offered a guess of Colorado because of the universities and it has an energy culture that leads to high tech. But says she is "making it up"
PAF at :19 She asked for Matt, then they briefly show all three PAF's
Estalamia(?) Staten Island NY
Vincent, Toms River NJ
Matt, Staten Island, NY
PAF
Matt shows a barely responsive, laid-back attitude. Thinks it is Oregon. Asked why it is because they have forests.
Mere says Matt is smoking something.
She calls for double-dip. Mere says let me start the clock first.
Spoiler
Double-dip, first answer was correct.
A. Oregon (:17)
I've never heard the term but could figure out the answer from the choices.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10K ('80s Movies):
"Surfer dude feuds with teacher while teenage girl loses her innocence" is a rough plot summary of what '80s movie?
A. The Breakfast Club B. Some Kind of Wonderful
C. Pretty in Pink D. Fast Times at Ridgement High
Spoiler
D. Fast Times at Ridgement High (:22)
Time for a lifeline here. ATA and hope for the best.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am

Jeemie wrote:

Did you know the answer?

[Spicoli has had a pizza delivered to class]
Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?
Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

Mr. Hand: [passing back exams] 'C', 'D', 'F'. 'F'. 'F'. For three weeks we have been talking about the Platt Amendment. It was passed in nineteen-hundred and six.
[notices Spicoli's seat is empty]
Mr. Hand: Where is Jeff Spicoli? I saw him earlier today, near the first floor bathrooms, is he still on campus? Anyone?
[Desmond raises hand]
Mr. Hand: Yes, Desmond?
Desmond: I saw him outside, near the food machines.
Mr. Hand: How long ago?
Desmond: Right before class.
Mr. Hand: All right. Bring him in.
[Desmond exits]
Mr. Hand: What is this fascination with truancy? What is it that gets inside of your heads? There are some teachers at this school who look the other way at truants. It's a little game you both play. They pretend they don't see you, and you pretend you don't ditch! Now, in the end, who pays the price? YOU!
[Desmond re-enters; Spicoli follows him. He has a bagel stuffed into crotch; with open shirt, barefoot, holding Vans]
Jeff Spicoli: Wait a minute, there's no birthday party for me here! Hello, Mr. Hand.
Mr. Hand: What's the reason for your truancy?
Jeff Spicoli: Just couldn't make it on time.
Mr. Hand: You couldn't, or you wouldn't?
Jeff Spicoli: See, there was a full crowd at the food lines.
Mr. Hand: Food will be eaten on YOUR time. Why are you continuously late for this class, Mr. Spicoli? Why do you shamelessly waste my time like this?
Jeff Spicoli: [long pause, but then with complete truth in his answer] I don't know.
Mr. Hand: [Mr. Hand goes to blackboard and writes the words 'I Don't Know', then underlines them]
[reciting]
Mr. Hand: I like that. 'I Don't Know.' That's nice.
[imitating]
Mr. Hand: 'Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?' Gee, Mr. Spicoli, I don't know! You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to leave your words right up here for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Spicoli.
Jeff Spicoli: All right!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#13 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 am

earendel wrote:
A. Customer B. Cousin
Spoiler
Not that this was a difficult question, but I've never heard teenagers refer to each other that way. Is this a regionalism?
I don't think it's so much a regional slang as it is a cultural slang. "Cuz" is pretty popular with the surfing community, particularly surfers in California. There is also a regular use of "cuz" amongst Black men, particularly in California, where "cuz" is often used amongst the members of the Crips gang.

It has been a couple of years since anybody has called me "cuz", and vice versa. The term has kinda fallen by the wayside amongst me and my people (at least in Louisville, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Nashville) in favor of "bruh" (shortened form of "brother"), "dirty", and "patner" ("partner" with the first R sound dropped). I'm sure, though, that if I'm ever back in my old stomping grounds of South Los Angeles, I'll get a lot of brothers calling me "cuz" again.

Jeemie

#14 Post by Jeemie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am

jacorbett70 wrote:Alas I am a bit younger although old enough to be a teen in the mid to late 80s. I only could eliminate two of them (and only saw Breakfast Club) so would resort to a LL. 80s movies are hit or miss depending on when in the decade (first half of the decade likely miss) and my interests. I had KT and then SSS covering movies when I was there.
Oh...OK.

Yes- Fast Times was a classic 80s movie- but it came out in 1982...so that falls in the first half of the decade.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Phil Ken Sebbin

#15 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote:
A. Customer B. Cousin
Spoiler
I don't think it's so much a regional slang as it is a cultural slang. "Cuz" is pretty popular with the surfing community, particularly surfers in California. There is also a regular use of "cuz" amongst Black men, particularly in California, where "cuz" is often used amongst the members of the Crips gang.

It has been a couple of years since anybody has called me "cuz", and vice versa. The term has kinda fallen by the wayside amongst me and my people (at least in Louisville, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Nashville) in favor of "bruh" (shortened form of "brother"), "dirty", and "patner" ("partner" with the first R sound dropped). I'm sure, though, that if I'm ever back in my old stomping grounds of South Los Angeles, I'll get a lot of brothers calling me "cuz" again.
Hmmmm "dirty" is a new one to me. Was the story behind that? Dirty South related? I have never heard it hear in the DC/Baltimore area.
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

mellytu74

#16 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:51 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: It has been a couple of years since anybody has called me "cuz", and vice versa. The term has kinda fallen by the wayside amongst me and my people (at least in Louisville, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Nashville) in favor of "bruh" (shortened form of "brother"), "dirty", and "patner" ("partner" with the first R sound dropped). I'm sure, though, that if I'm ever back in my old stomping grounds of South Los Angeles, I'll get a lot of brothers calling me "cuz" again.
Cuz was -- and remains -- a white working-class Philadelphia rowhouse conversation staple.

Both my Irish and Italian sides of the family use it frequently and to cousins of either gender. That's 40 first cousins (plus spouses), plus frequent use by second and third generations.

PLUS, at least in our neighborhood, we called very close friends "cuz." And it's not like we didn't have big enough families to begin with.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Staten Island, NY
WE®

$10K: I can eliminate "The Breakfast Club", but I didn't see any of the other three films. ATA.
Nelly, by not seeing Fast Times at Ridgemont High you missed a young Phoebe Cates now featured in the opening of comedian Rodney Carrington's video "Show Them to Me". Not to mention Sean Penn in a very early role featuring a clash with veteran and much missed actor Ray Walston. It would of course be highly improper of me to link to the Carrington video
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:31 pm

3K: I never knew how its pronounced, & apparently still don't, but have seen the logo. And that's the only way I got this supposedly low value Q.

5K: Knew it was a lotta years; did not memorize the #. 100 feels "too low". ATA

7.5K: Have never heard this. Oregon is closest state to Cal, the home of Silicon Valley, so I'd go for it entirely on that basis, & on the basis of being disgusted enough with hard early questions to go for broke here. I was surprised at Cokie Roberts' wrong guess, though.

10K: Don't they mean "lose virginity"? What's it with "innocence" here, anyway. I have (gasp) never seen any of these movies. Been meaning to, been meaning to. Have seen a heckuva lotta clips. Know Sean Penn got his kickoff role as the surfer dude in Ridgemont High, so give that response based on the other half of the question.

BigDrawMan

#19 Post by BigDrawMan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 pm

she had an exceptional "personality"
Bam needs more of her kind

I am surprised to see someone from staten island who is eyetalian
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

NellyLunatic1980

#20 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote: Not that this was a difficult question, but I've never heard teenagers refer to each other that way. Is this a regionalism?

Hmmmm "dirty" is a new one to me. Was the story behind that? Dirty South related? I have never heard it hear in the DC/Baltimore area.
Actually, it's not related to the Dirty South. "Dirty" is the term that Nelly (the rapper, not me) coined many years ago. Long before he became famous. "Dirty" basically means somebody you do your dirt with. And it should also be noted that the R sound is stretched out a bit, so it sounds like "dirrrrty".

NellyLunatic1980

#21 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:16 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: It has been a couple of years since anybody has called me "cuz", and vice versa. The term has kinda fallen by the wayside amongst me and my people (at least in Louisville, Chicago, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Nashville) in favor of "bruh" (shortened form of "brother"), "dirty", and "patner" ("partner" with the first R sound dropped). I'm sure, though, that if I'm ever back in my old stomping grounds of South Los Angeles, I'll get a lot of brothers calling me "cuz" again.
Cuz was -- and remains -- a white working-class Philadelphia rowhouse conversation staple.

Both my Irish and Italian sides of the family use it frequently and to cousins of either gender. That's 40 first cousins (plus spouses), plus frequent use by second and third generations.

PLUS, at least in our neighborhood, we called very close friends "cuz." And it's not like we didn't have big enough families to begin with.
Good. So there is another region and culture where the term is still regularly used rather than rarely used.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#22 Post by Estonut » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:56 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:I don't think it's so much a regional slang as it is a cultural slang. "Cuz" is pretty popular with the surfing community, particularly surfers in California. There is also a regular use of "cuz" amongst Black men, particularly in California, where "cuz" is often used amongst the members of the Crips gang.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I've lived in or near beach cities for years, and I've only heard SoCal surfers use it as an abbreviation for "because." Using it for "cousin" has always been a gang thing in these parts.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx