Transcript 10/12/09 Lex Kuhne

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/12/09 Lex Kuhne

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Lex Kuhne
Birmingham, MI
Self-employed attorney

Topic Tree:

World Records
Periodicals
Telephone History
Science Class
The Yankees
States of the Union
Vegetables
From the Greek
Recent Movies
Organizations
Celebrity Chefs
Nonfiction
Peanuts
Slang
Landmarks

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.

$500 Which of these national landmarks is known to reach eighteen miles in width and one mile in depth?
A. Plymouth Rock
B. Grand Canyon
C. Liberty Bell
D. Donald Trump’s ego
Spoiler
B. Grand Canyon (6)
$1K “The boys in blue” is a common slang term for what group?
A. Police officers
B. School teachers
C. Doctors
D. Judges
Spoiler
A. Police officers ( 8 )
$2K Cartoonist Charles Schulz copied real passages of Beethoven’s music when he drew what “Peanuts” character playing the piano?
A. Peppermint Patty
B. Snoopy
C. Pig-Pen
D. Schroeder
Spoiler
D. Schroeder (10)
$3K The 2008 nonfiction book “Smogtown” is subtitled “The Lung-Burning History of Pollution in” what U.S. city?
A. Boston
B. Atlanta
C. Milwaukee
D. Los Angeles
Spoiler
D. Los Angeles (10)
$5K Having a famously quirky cooking vocabulary, which of these TV personalities sells a line of hybrid kitchen tools called spoonulas?
A. Emeril Lagasse
B. Giada De Laurentils
C. Rachael Ray
D. Gordon Ramsay
Spoiler
C. Rachael Ray (5)
$7.5K The Organization of American States is an international group of thirty-five countries all located in what hemisphere?
A. Northern
B. Southern
C. Eastern
D. Western
Spoiler
D. Western (20)
$10K In “Slumdog Millionaire,” the final, climactic question Jamal must answer to win the grand prize is about what work of literature?
A. Around the World in 80 Days
B. The Three Musketeers
C. Treasure Island
D. The Count of Monte Cristo

ATA (23)

16% A. Around the World in 80 Days
61% B. The Three Musketeers
14% C. Treasure Island
9% D. The Count of Monte Cristo

Spoiler
B. The Three Musketeers (20)
commercial break

$12.5K What celestial object’s name is derived from a Greek word meaning “starlike”?
A. Asteroid
B. Nebula
C. Galaxy
D. Meteor

PAF (6)

Lex’s PAF team:

Jim from Champaign, IL
Scott from Royal Oak, MI
Darius from Monroe, MI

PAF – Darius

Just before time expires, Darius says that he would say asteroid.

ATE (4)

Cokie says she should know this since she lived in Greece for a while.
She says she would guess “A,” but she’s guessing.

Lex asks Cokie if there is a root word she is thinking of that she’s basing her answer on.

Cokie: Astra or asta

Lex: Or astro, like the Jetsons, right.

Spoiler
A. Asteroid (3)
commercial break

$15K A popular variety of asparagus shares its name with what First Lady?
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln

Lex says he is done and leaves with $12,500
Spoiler
C. Martha Washington (2)
horn

Tournament of Ten Leader Board
1. Jehan Shamsid-Deen $250K – 2:09
2. Keilani Goggins $100K - 1:53
3. Jeff Birt $100K - 1:53
4. Matt Schultz $100K - 2:28
5. Tim Janus $100K - 2:44
6. Ralph Cambeis $50K - 1:13
7. Robin Schwartz $50K - 1:40
8. Alex Ortiz $50K - 2:19
9. Fred Roberts $50K - 2:27
10. Benny Shum $50K - 2:29

Answers:
$500 B. Grand Canyon
$1K A. Police officers
$2K D. Schroeder
$3K D. Los Angeles
$5K C. Rachael Ray
$7.5K D. Western
$10K B. The Three Musketeers
$12.5K A. Asteroid
$15K C. Martha Washington

Edited to correct the amount Lex won.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Transcript 10/12/09 Lex Kuhne

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm guessing the $15,000 question is incomplete. A popular variety of what? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.
So she would've been my Expert for the $1M Obituaries question. I'm not exactly thrilled.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15K A popular variety of asparagus shares its name with what First Lady?
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln
Possible WWOQ®. I thought there were only two varieties of asparagus: green and white. PAF.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:33 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.
So she would've been my Expert for the $1M Obituaries question. I'm not exactly thrilled.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15K A popular variety of asparagus shares its name with what First Lady?
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln
Possible WWOQ®. I thought there were only two varieties of asparagus: green and white. PAF.
I buy a lot of asparagus and I've never heard of this variety.

kay

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:36 am

A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln

Spoiler
C. Martha Washington (2)
After seeing the highs and lows of the game in this episode, we ended with the dull. Lex said he'd been wanting this shot in the Hot Seat for years, but would he risk using the Double Dip for the chance to keep going? Naaaaah.

Of course, TPTB's tinkering with the prize tree has made this question the worst odds in the stack, risking $7,500 to win only $2,500 more (plus that chance to continue). :|

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:07 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln

Spoiler
C. Martha Washington (2)
After seeing the highs and lows of the game in this episode, we ended with the dull. Lex said he'd been wanting this shot in the Hot Seat for years, but would he risk using the Double Dip for the chance to keep going? Naaaaah.
ATA on the Slumdog question, too. I'm praying there's only one recent pop culture Q in my stack. Still have the ATE here, but would have been cursing the lack of PAF. While Cokie might know this, more likely I would have gone with the pure 50/50 guess of the DD. I was leaning toward the oldest two.

FYI, You have my word that you will NOT see me walking at this level, even if clueless and without LLs. (Aside to the gods of trivia: THAT WASN'T A SUGGESTION!!!) :shock:

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! To infinity and beyond! Never give up! Never surrender! All that stuff. :lol:
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:14 am

gsabc wrote:Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! To infinity and beyond! Never give up! Never surrender! All that stuff. :lol:
Bravo!

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lex Kuhne
Birmingham, MI
Self-employed attorney
I didn't know there were any of these left - I figured they all were part of big firms.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.
Much as I like her commentaries on NPR, I don't think she's going to be of much help unless the contestant goes to her with political questions.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5K Having a famously quirky cooking vocabulary, which of these TV personalities sells a line of hybrid kitchen tools called spoonulas?
A. Emeril Lagasse
B. Giada De Laurentils
C. Rachael Ray
D. Gordon Ramsay
Spoiler
C. Rachael Ray (5)
OK, I don't know this one. I'm sure it's not Ramsay (I've watched Hell's Kitchen and his vocabulary is anything but "quirky"). So it's time to ATA already.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10K In “Slumdog Millionaire,” the final, climactic question Jamal must answer to win the grand prize is about what work of literature?
A. Around the World in 80 Days
B. The Three Musketeers
C. Treasure Island
D. The Count of Monte Cristo

ATA (23)

16% A. Around the World in 80 Days
61% B. The Three Musketeers
14% C. Treasure Island
9% D. The Count of Monte Cristo
Spoiler
B. The Three Musketeers (20)
I still haven't seen this movie, but I've seen enough discussion about it to know the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12.5K What celestial object’s name is derived from a Greek word meaning “starlike”?
A. Asteroid
B. Nebula
C. Galaxy
D. Meteor

PAF (6)

Lex’s PAF team:

Jim from Champaign, IL
Scott from Royal Oak, MI
Darius from Monroe, MI

PAF – Darius

Just before time expires, Darius says that he would say asteroid.

ATE (4)

Cokie says she should know this since she lived in Greece for a while.
She says she would guess “A,” but she’s guessing.

Lex asks Cokie if there is a root word she is thinking of that she’s basing her answer on.

Cokie: Astra or asta

Lex: Or astro, like the Jetsons, right.
Spoiler
A. Asteroid (3)
There was a funny exchange on The Big Bang Theory last night between Sheldon and Raj about this very thing (the meaning of "aster").
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln

Spoiler
C. Martha Washington (2)
elwing knew this right away but I would have had no idea. This doesn't seem like a good question for the expert so it's time to PAF. Tough stack.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Unless it was about her father...

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.
Much as I like her commentaries on NPR, I don't think she's going to be of much help unless the contestant goes to her with political questions.
So are you going to apologize to Cokie? She did help Lex with the Greek root for asteroid!

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:28 am

BTW, is anyone else having a hard time reading the name Lex without completing it with Luthor? :mrgreen:

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:BTW, is anyone else having a hard time reading the name Lex without completing it with Luthor? :mrgreen:
Yes, I am. And no, no apology to Cokie Roberts. "Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then" and all that.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#13 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 am

Yes, I am. And no, no apology to Cokie Roberts. "Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then" and all that.
What about the poor, starving squirrel?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

mellytu74

#14 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 am

kayrharris wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
A. Eleanor Roosevelt
B. Mamie Eisenhower
C. Martha Washington
D. Mary Lincoln
I buy a lot of asparagus and I've never heard of this variety.

kay
Boonie knew this right away, before the answers came up. He and Alice tried to plant some once and it was an utter failure.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#15 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:47 am

earendel wrote:
Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Emmy award winning journalist and best selling author, Cokie Roberts.
Why not? I would trust a bright reporter and author who has a degree from Wellesley, is from a political family, and who has traveled around the world, much faster than I would, say, a computer guy who works for a government agency (even though I have heard that some of them are highly intelligent.)

I would rate Cokie Roberts far above the run-of-the-mill local television anchors and book-floggers who have served as "experts" in the past.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am

silvercamaro wrote:
earendel wrote:
Why not? I would trust a bright reporter and author who has a degree from Wellesley, is from a political family, and who has traveled around the world, much faster than I would, say, a computer guy who works for a government agency (even though I have heard that some of them are highly intelligent.)

I would rate Cokie Roberts far above the run-of-the-mill local television anchors and book-floggers who have served as "experts" in the past.
No doubt she is better than some, but IMO she suffers from the same problem that many of their other "experts" have - that is, they may be very knowledgeable in a small number of areas, but for a trivia game show, the expert should have a broader range of knowledge.

I should acknowledge that a lot depends upon the question that the expert gets.

NellyLunatic1980

#17 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:BTW, is anyone else having a hard time reading the name Lex without completing it with Luthor? :mrgreen:
Not until you mentioned it.

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 am

Lex's appearance gets first mention in this column (right before a request for readers' Christmas and Hanukkah memories!)

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/200 ... /910160310