Transcript 10/12/09 Debbie Price

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/12/09 Debbie Price

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Debbie Price
Osterburg, PA

Topic Tree:
Debbie’s stack is never displayed.

$500 A person who says “Let’s do lunch!” is essentially saying “Let’s make a plan to” what?
A. Swim
B. Eat
C. Dance
D. Pick at our salads
Spoiler
B. Eat ( 8 )
$1K The U.S. Postal Service typically delivers mail how many days per week?
A. Four
B. Five
C. Six
D. Seven
Spoiler
C. Six (11)
$2K The word “cowlick” is defined as “an unruly tuft of” what?
A. Skin
B. Hair
C. Grass
D. Cloth
Spoiler
B. Hair (11)
$3K In the U.S., green circles, blue squares and black diamonds are commonly used skiing symbols that indicate what?
A. Slope difficulty
B. Trail length
C. Snow accumulation
D. Air temperature
Spoiler
A. Slope difficulty (9)
$5K By definition, a hootenanny is a gathering of what kind of people?
A. Cattle ranchers
B. Butter churners
C. Quilt makers
D. Folk singers

Debbie makes cattle ranchers her final answer.
Debbie leaves with $0.

Spoiler
D. Folk singers (6)
commercial break

Answers:
$500 B. Eat
$1K C. Six
$2K B. Hair
$3K A. Slope difficulty
$5K D. Folk singers

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/12/09 Debbie Price

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:18 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K The U.S. Postal Service typically delivers mail how many days per week?
A. Four
B. Five
C. Six
D. Seven
Spoiler
C. Six (11)
It might be 6 now, but it will soon be 5.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5K By definition, a hootenanny is a gathering of what kind of people?
A. Cattle ranchers
B. Butter churners
C. Quilt makers
D. Folk singers

Debbie leaves with $0.
And we have our first llama of the new season. Somebody better call MBFFB.

Nihil obstat®

chad1m

#3 Post by chad1m » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit I thought the answer was A as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Ouch; the difference between $250K and zippo is sometimes knowing what you don't know; the big winner used a LL on a first-five question while the contestants before and after her left all LL's unused.

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Snaxx

#5 Post by Snaxx » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 pm

chad1m wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit I thought the answer was A as well.
I never heard of the term and would probably ATA. I was wondering if it was a term I should have heard of or something a bit obscure for the level. DD would not be a bad move if I could determine within the time limit that butter churners and quilt makers do not make sense at that level.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:11 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:
I never heard of the term and would probably ATA. I was wondering if it was a term I should have heard of or something a bit obscure for the level. DD would not be a bad move if I could determine within the time limit that butter churners and quilt makers do not make sense at that level.
This is probably a bit before your time, but Jack Linkletter (Art's son) hosted a folk-music TV show called "Hootenanny" back in the 1960s. I remembered that word when I read it in Jack Linkletter's obituary in 2007.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:29 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
This is probably a bit before your time, but Jack Linkletter (Art's son) hosted a folk-music TV show called "Hootenanny" back in the 1960s. I remembered that word when I read it in Jack Linkletter's obituary in 2007.

You beat me to it. Definitely an age thing.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:31 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:

You beat me to it. Definitely an age thing.
Ditto.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by ontellen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 pm

How sad that the U.S. may have to cut back mail delivery to 5 days a week.

I can't even remember when we had Saturday mail, it's so long ago. We also pay 54 cents for an average letter - way higher than the U.S.

drew scheeler

#10 Post by drew scheeler » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Actually, my favorite rock band, Weezer, recently held a "Hootenanny Tour" where they invited contest winners to come up on stage and perform with them for the encore. It led to some interesting events, including several triangle solos.
www.facebook.com/drewscheeler
2008 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament contestant
"Don't be juvenile for these delinquents!" ~ Trebek.

takinover

#11 Post by takinover » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Stack from hell for me. I would need help on the $3K and the $5K.

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:33 am

It may also be regional - I have heard the word "hootenanny," even if only in fun, as recently as within the past month. But it never will fit in most headlines, so we dint use it....
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

wintergreen48

#13 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:30 am

$3K In the U.S., green circles, blue squares and black diamonds are commonly used skiing symbols that indicate what?
A. Slope difficulty
B. Trail length
C. Snow accumulation
D. Air temperature

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think this is kind of obscure for such a low-value question. I knew the answer, but only because I went skiing once and someone told me then what black diamond meant ('Keep your ass off that slope, you will die') (Baby Nicholas, who had just turned twelve at the time, was on the same trip; he did not get the message and had no idea what black diamond meant; he is something of a natural athelete; he wandered off by himself at one point and, on his very first try, made it successfully down a black diamond slope; 'what was it like, Nicholas?' 'Real fast, dad, real fast.') 'Slope difficulty' is probably the most likely answer, intuitively, but I think it could just as well be trail length or even snow accumulation.

Hootenanny, on the other hand, is something us old folks remember well. Kumbayah.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:57 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
A. Slope difficulty
B. Trail length
C. Snow accumulation
D. Air temperature

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think this is kind of obscure for such a low-value question. I knew the answer, but only because I went skiing once and someone told me then what black diamond meant ('Keep your ass off that slope, you will die') (Baby Nicholas, who had just turned twelve at the time, was on the same trip; he did not get the message and had no idea what black diamond meant; he is something of a natural athelete; he wandered off by himself at one point and, on his very first try, made it successfully down a black diamond slope; 'what was it like, Nicholas?' 'Real fast, dad, real fast.') 'Slope difficulty' is probably the most likely answer, intuitively, but I think it could just as well be trail length or even snow accumulation.

Hootenanny, on the other hand, is something us old folks remember well. Kumbayah.
I seem to remember a ski slope sign question being asked to one of our BBs, maybe even one I was on a PAFteam so it was a long time ago. Might have been MMFF. It was valued much higher.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:26 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:

Gonna have to beat frogman to this.

What do you get when you cross an owl with a goat
Spoiler
a hootenanny.

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript Debbie Price

#16 Post by rgcviper » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5K By definition, a hootenanny is a gathering of what kind of people?
A. Cattle ranchers
B. Butter churners
C. Quilt makers
D. Folk singers
In my senior year of high school, I had the most BORING teacher. One of my classmates once asked the guy, "Can we have a hootenanny today?", and the guy said (with the straightest face) "No, we won't be having one of those". It was a great moment in a dismal class.

Due to that event and just general prior knowledge, I knew this one cold. Too bad for Debbie.

Thousandaire

#17 Post by Thousandaire » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:58 am

A hootenanny is just a hoot an' a holler away from a hoedown.

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Debbie Price
Osterburg, PA
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 A person who says “Let’s do lunch!” is essentially saying “Let’s make a plan to” what?
A. Swim
B. Eat
C. Dance
D. Pick at our salads
Spoiler
B. Eat ( 8 )
Well, it could be D.
A. Cattle ranchers
B. Butter churners
C. Quilt makers
D. Folk singers

Debbie leaves with $0.
Spoiler
D. Folk singers (6)
Is this a case of going from the sublime to the ridiculous?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:47 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
I feel very, very, very old now to remember the show.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

gsabc

#20 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:05 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
I don't. It's the reason I don't want recent pop culture questions. The young'uns can get those easily, but will miss these older references. I find that's the case when I watch J! I'll get something that all three players miss or pass on, because it's an item from the 1950s through the 1970s.

I agree that it was a bit undervalued, given the word's limited use nowadays.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:22 am

gsabc wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: This is probably a bit before your time, but Jack Linkletter (Art's son) hosted a folk-music TV show called "Hootenanny" back in the 1960s. I remembered that word when I read it in Jack Linkletter's obituary in 2007.
I don't. It's the reason I don't want recent pop culture questions. The young'uns can get those easily, but will miss these older references. I find that's the case when I watch J! I'll get something that all three players miss or pass on, because it's an item from the 1950s through the 1970s.

I think a lot of people might be unfamiliar with the precise definition, but have some idea of it being a old-fashioned sort of celebration, like a hoedown or a square dance. All the other choices, particularly cattle ranchers, might be associated with that (given the limitations of TDC).

The farmer and the cowboy can be friends. :wink:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#22 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:

I think a lot of people might be unfamiliar with the precise definition, but have some idea of it being a old-fashioned sort of celebration, like a hoedown or a square dance. All the other choices, particularly cattle ranchers, might be associated with that (given the limitations of TDC).

I wonder which side sliver is on?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#23 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:44 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:I don't. It's the reason I don't want recent pop culture questions. The young'uns can get those easily, but will miss these older references. I find that's the case when I watch J! I'll get something that all three players miss or pass on, because it's an item from the 1950s through the 1970s.

I am on the side of the righteously indignant.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

NellyLunatic1980

#24 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am

silvercamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I am on the side of the righteously indignant.
Ha!