BAM Transcript: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

BAM Transcript: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Sargon De Jesus
Washington, DC
Science Writer

Sargon and a college buddy co-founded what they think is the first collegiate whistling choir- they named it Lip Service. Sargon then whistles the opening bars to The Star-Spangled Banner. Meredith "can't whistle", but she can "hand out checks for $1 million" (which Sargon, of course, still won't look at).

13 questions away.

Categories

Paper Work
Opera
Court Cases
Entrepreneurs
Musical Instruments
The White House
The Auto Industry
On the Road
U.S. History
Name Game
Famous Singers
On the Playground
Vegetables
Cable TV
Business

The expert is still Mo Rocca.

$2,000 (Vegetables)- The Russet Burbank is the most common type of what vegetable grown in Idaho.

A- Lettuce B- Potato
C- Carrot D- Broccoli
Spoiler
B- Potato (10)
$3,000 (On the Playground)- Which of these children's games traditionally ends when someone reaches "tensies"?

A- Simon Says B- Leapfrog
C- Hopscotch D- Jacks

At 8 seconds, Sargon has a hunch, but decides to use his ATA lifeline.

ATA Results: A- 0%, B- 4%, C- 29%, D- 67%

Spoiler
D- Jacks (6)
$5,000 (Famous Singers)- Singing about the state where she was born, Faith Hill had a hit song in 2005 with what title?

A- Minnesota Girl B- Pennsylvania Girl
C- Mississippi Girl D- Oregon Girl

Again, Sargon has a hunch, but wants to go with Ask the Expert. Meredith tries to warn him he doesn't have it yet, but Sargon talks over her. As Meredith is again warning him, the clock reaches 0, and Sargon leaves with $3,000
Spoiler
C- Mississippi Girl

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: BAM Transcript: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41 pm

Since the show wasn't broadcast here last year when the clock was put into play, when the
time ran out, I thought he was going to go back down to zero instead of leaving with the $3000.
Guess I need to brush up on the rules again.

kay

Jeemie

#3 Post by Jeemie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:00 pm

kayrharris wrote:Since the show wasn't broadcast here last year when the clock was put into play, when the
time ran out, I thought he was going to go back down to zero instead of leaving with the $3000.
Guess I need to brush up on the rules again.

kay
Letting the clock run to zero (except on a Double Dip, where a second answer is required) is the equivalent of walking at the current level.

No problems with these.
1979 City of Champions 2009

rgcviper

Reply to: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#4 Post by rgcviper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith ... can "hand out checks for $1 million" (which Sargon, of course, still won't look at).
We've been waiting for more than six years, Meredith ... [sigh]
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5K: Again, Sargon has a hunch, but wants to go with Ask the Expert. Meredith tries to warn him he doesn't have it yet, but Sargon talks over her. As Meredith is again warning him, the clock reaches 0, and Sargon leaves with $3,000.
So now we have the first true victim of TDC since this cursed item was added to the game. [sigh]

I miss the old days, when people actually won a lot of money.

That is all.

(Sorry ... just felt the need to vent here.)

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Reply to: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#5 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm

rgcviper wrote:So now we have the first true victim of TDC since this cursed item was added to the game. [sigh]
Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider every contestant who was rushed into a bad decision a true victim as well...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

Re: Reply to: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Estonut wrote:
rgcviper wrote:So now we have the first true victim of TDC since this cursed item was added to the game. [sigh]
Maybe it's just me, but I'd consider every contestant who was rushed into a bad decision a true victim as well...
Yep.

OTOH, Sargon left with $2,500 more than he would have before TPTB implemented their "stimulus plan". :|

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Sargon De Jesus
Washington, DC
Science Writer

Sargon and a college buddy co-founded what they think is the first collegiate whistling choir- they named it Lip Service. Sargon then whistles the opening bars to The Star-Spangled Banner. Meredith "can't whistle", but she can "hand out checks for $1 million" (which Sargon, of course, still won't look at).
First and probably only. Whistling is a dying art.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5,000 (Famous Singers)- Singing about the state where she was born, Faith Hill had a hit song in 2005 with what title?

Again, Sargon has a hunch, but wants to go with Ask the Expert. Meredith tries to warn him he doesn't have it yet, but Sargon talks over her. As Meredith is again warning him, the clock reaches 0, and Sargon leaves with $3,000
Spoiler
C- Mississippi Girl
Wow, and double wow! Talk about someone who panicked in the HS... He fell victim to one of the classic blunders (the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia") - using lifelines when he "had an idea". And unfortunately he tried to use one he didn't have, and ran out of time. Interestingly, this season they have been introducing the expert before the contestants actually reach that level, which makes me wonder if that had something to do with Sargon's failure.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Phil Ken Sebbin

#8 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 am

earendel wrote:
Washington, DC
Science Writer

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5,000 (Famous Singers)- Singing about the state where she was born, Faith Hill had a hit song in 2005 with what title?

Spoiler
C- Mississippi Girl
Wow, and double wow! Talk about someone who panicked in the HS... He fell victim to one of the classic blunders (the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia") - using lifelines when he "had an idea". And unfortunately he tried to use one he didn't have, and ran out of time. Interestingly, this season they have been introducing the expert before the contestants actually reach that level, which makes me wonder if that had something to do with Sargon's failure.
Wait, I thought the 2nd biggest blunder was never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 am

Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
earendel wrote:
Washington, DC
Science Writer

Spoiler
C- Mississippi Girl
Wait, I thought the 2nd biggest blunder was never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Actually that's "only slightly less well-known". There's no way to know if it's second on the list. BTST using a lifeline when one "has a hunch" is only ONE of the classic blunders.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:42 am

earendel wrote:
Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
earendel wrote: First and probably only. Whistling is a dying art.

Actually that's "only slightly less well-known". There's no way to know if it's second on the list. BTST using a lifeline when one "has a hunch" is only ONE of the classic blunders.
But which glass has the iocane poison? :twisted:

Phil Ken Sebbin

#11 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am

earendel wrote:
Phil Ken Sebbin wrote: Wait, I thought the 2nd biggest blunder was never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Touche. I knew that, too. I need to brush up on my Princess Bride knowledge.
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

Jeemie

#12 Post by Jeemie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:But which glass has the iocane poison? :twisted:
Watch and find out!

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 am

Poor kid was in way over his head.

Jeemie

#14 Post by Jeemie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 am

earendel wrote:Actually that's "only slightly less well-known". There's no way to know if it's second on the list. BTST using a lifeline when one "has a hunch" is only ONE of the classic blunders.
One of the related ones is, of course, sharing that hunch BEFORE one asks the audience.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#15 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 am

Is the Sicilian a BB?
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:27 am

silvercamaro wrote:Is the Sicilian a BB?
Yes, under the handle "MyBigFatFabulousBrain". :mrgreen:

NellyLunatic1980

#17 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 am

Wow. Just... wow.

Nihil obstat®

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:35 pm

I found this incredibly sad, indicative of "how far the game has fallen", & any other bad thing you can think of. That scripted lecture by Meredith on "watch the clock" was majorly creepy too.

doitneatly

Re: Reply to: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover

#19 Post by doitneatly » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:54 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5K: Again, Sargon has a hunch, but wants to go with Ask the Expert. Meredith tries to warn him he doesn't have it yet, but Sargon talks over her. As Meredith is again warning him, the clock reaches 0, and Sargon leaves with $3,000.
Obligatory YouTube link:
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

rgcviper

Reply to: Sargon De Jesus (10/2/09) (Carryover)

#20 Post by rgcviper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:48 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I found this incredibly sad, indicative of "how far the game has fallen" ...
Wow. That's just a "Wow" statement, as in, "Wow ... that is so true".

As I mentioned previously, we used to see winners of $250K, $500K, and (once in a blue moon) $1M, but now ...