Bowl Mania 2007-2008

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
andrewjackson

#26 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:48 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
That was actually one of the games my mouse hesitated over when making my picks, just because I figured it would be that way, and I would be able to make up points on someone if it went the other way.

Oh well.
See, that's the aspect of the confidence points thingy that I think I'm missing. I'm going to have to do some studying on this thing before next fall.
No matter where you go, there you are.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#27 Post by kayrharris » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:54 am

mrkelley23 wrote:On the Espn website I was looking at the "who picked whom" part.

Guess which game had the widest margin nationally between who picked one team as winner?

That's right, last night's game. Boise State was picked by over 97% of the nation to win that game.

That was actually one of the games my mouse hesitated over when making my picks, just because I figured it would be that way, and I would be able to make up points on someone if it went the other way.

Oh well.

Why are we surprised? It's been that way all season. I should have picked all upsets. :roll:

tanstaafl2

#28 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 am

kayrharris wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:On the Espn website I was looking at the "who picked whom" part.

Guess which game had the widest margin nationally between who picked one team as winner?

That's right, last night's game. Boise State was picked by over 97% of the nation to win that game.

Oh well.

Why are we surprised? It's been that way all season. I should have picked all upsets. :roll:
Then you would be 1-6 with 28 points instead of 4-2 with 29 points.

Hmm, I see your point. Not much difference so far!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

eyégor
???????

#29 Post by eyégor » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Geez!

& I was off to such a good start. I know East Carolina was a universal spoiler, but did they have to be a 29 point spoiler??

Oh, and may each and every one enjoy the holidays.

Gor - putting the Slip in Slippery Rock!

andrewjackson

#30 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:19 am

All righty then, we are back to the bowls.

Tonight's titanic clash of college football superpowers gets us going again.

A Boilermaker win tonight earns lots and lots of points for Vandal, Pea, Eyegor, the Armadillos, and Kusch.

L. Wellman is the big winner if the unthinkable happens.
No matter where you go, there you are.

tanstaafl2

#31 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:50 am

Oh my, Kay picked against Auburn! Although admittedly with only 1 confidence point.

Had I known that I might have picked Auburn because you have to assume the team is going to make her pay for picking against them!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#32 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:55 am

I do it as reverse psychology, so we WILL win. Works almost every time.

We have beaten Florida the past 2 years.....and I'm convinced it's because I pick Florida to win in my college pickem. :D

Yes, I kept the confidence points very low as this game can go either way. I really think Clemson is the better team. We are dealing with a new offensive coordinator, so who knows what will really happen. I just know we don't usually play our best in bowl games. JMHO, of course.

peacock2121

#33 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 pm

LOL - I picked Auburn - just for Kay!

They will win.

tanstaafl2

#34 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Well, it wasn't my boldest pick with only 1 confidence point but I had a feeling Texas might come back charged up and had been a little underwhelmed by ASU.

Whatever the case it proved true and gives me the lead momentarily at least by record. Thought it might be a bit closer than it was though!

Still well behind in points though although I remain near the top in points remaining so I still have a good shot to move up.

Tonight it looks like Eyegor can catch me in the record category if the Spartans pull off the upset. Although, like my Texas choice, he doesn't have much confidence in them he is the only one in their court tonight.

I stand to gain a little ground if BC can manage not to take a dive but won't move up any and then will give it all back and then some if the Beavers can manage to chew up the Terps and TCU wins in the Gastonia game tonight.

Can begin inching up over the weekend if my luck holds and it looks like my first chance to really start to catch up is when the Bulls hopefully gore the wounded Ducks on New Years Eve.

Assuming I can manage to keep picking winners up until then.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

thguy65

#35 Post by thguy65 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:11 pm

On a slight tangent, but an interesting observation was made by the LA Times writer on college football (Chris Dufresne) in his season summary:

Notre Dame currently has a longer winning streak than either of the 2 teams in the BCS Championship Game.
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

peacock2121

#36 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:27 am

Look at this peoples!

I am still in 3rd place.

Holy Crappola!

tanstaafl2

#37 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:39 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Look at this peoples!

I am still in 3rd place.

Holy Crappola!
And doing rather well I might add! Although you have 4 losses thanks to UCF giving the game away with turnovers in a game where the defense finally dominated on both sides you have only burned 13 confidence points whereas I have coughed up 32 in only 2 losses.

Since our picks are nearly identical the rest of the way I will need help in the AF/Cal and Tigers squared game if I have any hope of passing you no matter what anybody else does the rest of the way.

In our league AF is the favorite although overall Cal seems to have a slight edge. Odds makers seem to have Cal as a slight favorite as well. But I am less and less confident in that pick as time passes!
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#38 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:10 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Look at this peoples!

I am still in 3rd place.

Holy Crappola!
And doing rather well I might add! Although you have 4 losses thanks to UCF giving the game away with turnovers in a game where the defense finally dominated on both sides you have only burned 13 confidence points whereas I have coughed up 32 in only 2 losses.

Since our picks are nearly identical the rest of the way I will need help in the AF/Cal and Tigers squared game if I have any hope of passing you no matter what anybody else does the rest of the way.

In our league AF is the favorite although overall Cal seems to have a slight edge. Odds makers seem to have Cal as a slight favorite as well. But I am less and less confident in that pick as time passes!
Seems I overlooked the Boise State fiasco which was a 5th loss and 32 points for you. Oops!

Even with another win I drop another spot as Kusch slips past. But I now have the highest max total still available so all I have to do is win out. Like that is going to happen...

Also with the loss by A&M the last undefeated team at the top of the overall leaderboard, the Claremont Stags, falls after getting off to a 13-0 start.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

peacock2121

#39 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:50 am

Still in 3rd!

I need Air Force and Auburn to win.

It is very cool to be on the top of the leaderboard for so long.

tanstaafl2

#40 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:12 pm

Well the Bears pulled through over the Falcons but it looks like everybody else is going into the crapper.

Good shot at more losses today than I had up to this point in the bowl season as the Bulls are getting completely embarrassed by the Ducks whilst the Yellow Jackets got squashed by yet another Bulldog team.

Gonna get ugly if I keep losing my higher confidence picks. 2-3 for my picks with more than 20 confidence points so far...
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

TheCalvinator24

#41 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:30 pm

I was having a pretty good run until Clemson let me down.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#42 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:09 am

I tried to tell ya'll Auburn would win if I picked Clemson. Works like a charm. We had 416 total yards in offense to their 296 (or something like that) and the game goes to overtime! What's up with that. One thing for sure, you never leave many Auburn games early.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#43 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:13 am

kayrharris wrote:I tried to tell ya'll Auburn would win if I picked Clemson. Works like a charm. We had 416 total yards in offense to their 296 (or something like that) and the game goes to overtime! What's up with that. One thing for sure, you never leave many Auburn games early.
Great game. That offense has a lot to look forward to, and the defense is already good (assuming they don't lose too many to graduation). Clemson played well also.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tanstaafl2

#44 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:39 pm

The Tigers squared game capped off Black Monday where I went 3-3 and lost more games than I had in previous 10 days, dropping well down the leaderboard with 2 more high confidence points games down the tubes.

Picked up 2 more wins today but they weren't worth much and I have four high value games remaining. 2 are underway and so far I'm on the wrong end of both so it has the makings of another ugly day and the end of any chance I may have this year.

At least if the Gators continue to tank most everyone suffers a similar fate. But really need a Texas Tech win to try to start moving back up the board.

Still looking dicey at the moment.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#45 Post by hermillion » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Just a note . . .

I will always be happy to serve as a PaF for folks. Just be certain you NEVER call me on a sports question.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

tanstaafl2

#46 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:42 pm

Congrats to Michigan who played well and overcame 4 turnovers to beat the Gators, who looked sloppy and out of synch all game long. Credit for at least some of that has to go to the Michigan D-line who played well all game long.

Fortunately Texas Tech rallies over Virginia, who looked to still be wrapping christmas presents at the end of the game. Keeps the day from being a complete disaster and more importantly keeps my bowl mania hopes alive. For the moment.

If the favorites win tonight I can climb back up to around third again and if the Sooners take care of business it looks like second is possible and it will likely come down to the pseudo national championship game!

If.

At least it would give me a reason to bother to watch the game...
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

eyégor
???????

#47 Post by eyégor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm

nevermind
Spoiler
How come MrK dropped out of the group?

He took a hit on Virginia, but if Hawai'i wins tonight, he could make almost all of that up and slip back into 2nd, with higher confidence points than me in almost all our similar choices. I cannot remember who his pick was in the Pseudo-championship.

gotribego26

#48 Post by gotribego26 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:16 pm

I've set up the Bowl Mania Calculator once again - There are 64 permutations remaining (6 games). These calculations have been checked and rechecked, but are not guaranteed. :)

Spoiler

Of the 64 Gor wins 41, Fish 13, tan gets 4, peaby, kusch and tribe have 2 each.

If Georgia wins tonight the remaining 32 include gor with 23, tan 4, fish & kusch 2 and I keep 1.

If Hawaii wins tonight the remaining 32 include gor with 18, fish 11, peaby 2 and I keep 1.

kusch

#49 Post by kusch » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:07 am

gotribego26 wrote:I've set up the Bowl Mania Calculator once again - There are 64 permutations remaining (6 games). These calculations have been checked and rechecked, but are not guaranteed. :)

Spoiler

Of the 64 Gor wins 41, Fish 13, tan gets 4, peaby, kusch and tribe have 2 each.

If Georgia wins tonight the remaining 32 include gor with 23, tan 4, fish & kusch 2 and I keep 1.

If Hawaii wins tonight the remaining 32 include gor with 18, fish 11, peaby 2 and I keep 1.

I think your calculator needs new batteries. :lol:

peacock2121

#50 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:49 am

I am not ashamed of how I am doing.

Not at all.