Bowl Mania 2007-2008

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
andrewjackson

Bowl Mania 2007-2008

#1 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:32 am

Mrkelley gets off to the early lead by putting 32 points on the Utes.

Slightly over half the players got the game right last night. Which means I'm in a tie for 14th with my one little point.

Memphis takes on Florida Atlantic tonight in the New Orleans bowl.

I don't know the conversion between all the player's names and their bored names but mrkelley and Bough have the most points riding on Memphis while SlipperyRock and BiT have the most on Florida Atlantic.
No matter where you go, there you are.

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:37 am

I'd have been sweating a lot if I'd remembered when the stupid games started.

Now I get to start paying more attention.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:42 am

I didn't get to see much of the game, but as I was going to bed last night I saw Navy's final touchdown, successful onside kick, and unfortuantely the (effectively) game ending interception.

I'm glad I had only 2 points on it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:46 am

I have to go over and see how I am doing.

I like being 'in the game' again. I missed being in the Pigsking thingie this year. I will make sure I join next year.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:49 am

5th place, baby!

If I knew how to take a picture of the leaderbaord, I would.

I won't be seeing that again.

andrewjackson

#6 Post by andrewjackson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:01 pm

Hmmm. I guess I was wrong about who is who in the pool.

Anyway, 9 players got the game right last night.

Slippery Rock and the Scalded Armadillos have taken over the lead.

Kusch gets the "AJ" award since he is still undefeated but down in 12th place behind 7 players who have missed a game.

And don't look now, Pea, but you moved up a place in the rankings.

Three bowl games today. Lots of big points on Cincinnati and BYU with some middle money on New Mexico.

There is one game on Sunday and then a break until the big clash on Wednesday night in Detroit. A nation waits breathlessly for that one.

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:03 pm

What are you talking about!

Look now!

Hurry!

While it lasts!

andrewjackson

#8 Post by andrewjackson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:06 pm

Hey, you moved up again!

If you get Nevada and BYU you might take over the lead.

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:25 pm

How cool is that?

The confidence points makes the whole thing so unpredictable.

I would like to see me in first place just once.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Not looking so good for Nevada at the moment.

The odds makers do favor BYU though.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:42 pm

As do all the entrys in our league except the team one above you at the moment.

Although several are close, including the BYU/UCLA game, we have only one game that is 100% for the same team and that is the Purple Pirates vs the Smurfs out in Hawaii.

Watch that one be an upset...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#12 Post by hermillion » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:37 pm

I've lost the link to the pool site -- if I had ever saved it to begin with. Can somebody please point me in the right direction so I can see just how far behind I am?

Thanks!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#13 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:06 pm

thguy65

#14 Post by thguy65 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:07 pm

hermillion wrote:I've lost the link to the pool site -- if I had ever saved it to begin with. Can somebody please point me in the right direction so I can see just how far behind I am?

Thanks!
http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/frontpage
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#15 Post by hermillion » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks, guys! It looks like I nearly double my point total with the BYU victory tonight.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

andrewjackson

#16 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:06 am

After the three games on Saturday, Slippery Rock is still on top with the Scalded Armadillos right behind.

And, yes, pea stays in 3rd.

Only three players are still perfect, kusch and tanstaafl along with Slippery Rock.

I'm thinking of taking back my award from tanstaafl since he is in 6th place despite have a better record than half the players above him. I think I'm more deserving since I'm in 24th place despite only missing one game. Cal has a losing record and is 5 spots ahead of me!

Vengeance shall be mine!

andrewjackson

#17 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:09 am

In Sunday's lone game, everyone has Boise State as tanstaafl reported.

Pea, Bough, TJC, and Cal would be hurt the most by an East Carolina upset.

I just noticed that I will drop one more place in the standings with a correct pick in this game.

TheCalvinator24

#18 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:18 am

When Boise State wins, I'll move up in to 12th place.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 am

andrewjackson wrote:After the three games on Saturday, Slippery Rock is still on top with the Scalded Armadillos right behind.

And, yes, pea stays in 3rd.

Only three players are still perfect, kusch and tanstaafl along with Slippery Rock.

I'm thinking of taking back my award from tanstaafl since he is in 6th place despite have a better record than half the players above him. I think I'm more deserving since I'm in 24th place despite only missing one game. Cal has a losing record and is 5 spots ahead of me!

Vengeance shall be mine!
I'm still studying how this is scored. I'm with you AJ. I only missed one game and had one 2 confidence points on it. I think I'm low in the rankings since I had low confidence points on the wins (I think). It's certainly different from the weekly college pickem scoring.

Good luck the rest of the way. The way I'm looking now, it could be a disaster for me!

tanstaafl2

#20 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:42 pm

andrewjackson wrote: Only three players are still perfect, kusch and tanstaafl along with Slippery Rock.

I think I missed the award ceremony. Didn't know I had received one! I am being a little conservative early I guess. Most of my top confidence point games come on New Years or later so maybe I will have a late surge.

But then you are playing the only card where the confidence points are unaltered that I can see.

And I will likely fall another spot despite going 6-0 if the Smurfs manage to do as they are expected tonight.

Although BYU was doing their dead level best to end our perfect run and managed to salvage a win literally by a finger tip it appeared.

A pretty ugly game and in my opinion BYU did nothing to show that that the Mountain West deserves any serious future BCS consideration (or even automatic inclusion in a playoff should hell happen to freeze over) by looking bad against UCLA, an injury riddled and relatively mediocre mid tier PAC10 team that had just lost its coach.

If anything it further damaged the bid of the Mountain West to be seen as a big boy conference. It remains in the second tier with the likes of the WAC and Conference USA.

Oh, and the Big East...

~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#21 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Also looks like we could be down to only a single entry with no losses no later than the BC/Michigan State game as the three of us have different picks for that game and the Texas/Az St game the day before.

Of course if the Smurfs go belly up tonight down by the Pearl or your Boilermakers on Wednesday in one of the many Gastonia bowls then the undefeated run will come to a halt much sooner for all of us!
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

andrewjackson

#22 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:53 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
andrewjackson wrote: Only three players are still perfect, kusch and tanstaafl along with Slippery Rock.

I think I missed the award ceremony. Didn't know I had received one! I am being a little conservative early I guess. Most of my top confidence point games come on New Years or later so maybe I will have a late surge.
Maybe I misspoke. You had not actually won the AJ award, you were just the leading contender at the time.

The ceremony doesn't take place until mid-January at the Modoc, IN American Legion Hall.

tanstaafl2

#23 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:19 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:Also looks like we could be down to only a single entry with no losses no later than the BC/Michigan State game as the three of us have different picks for that game and the Texas/Az St game the day before.

Of course if the Smurfs go belly up tonight down by the Pearl or your Boilermakers on Wednesday in one of the many Gastonia bowls then the undefeated run will come to a halt much sooner for all of us!
Apparently someone was listening, the football gods having a little chuckle I suppose, as the Smurfs go completely belly up in the first half (too many Mai-tai's on the beach perhaps?) and then can't recover in spite of a valiant effort in a game with a fairly wild finish.

As a result my highest confidence pick so far this season is my first loss and eliminates all the entrys that were undefeated so far. On the plus side everyone ahead of me and a number of teams behind me take an even bigger hit on confidence points!

But so much for someone going 32-0!

Like that was going to happen...
Last edited by tanstaafl2 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

andrewjackson

#24 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:19 am

And, yes, we all got spanked by East Carolina!

Boise State made a good comeback but the Pirates won it in the end.

So the standings stay the same with Slippery Rock on top.

The next game is the mighty Motor City Bowl on Wednesday night. This will show the contempt with which even Purdue fans treat the Motor City Bowl. I'm going to a hockey game that night.

mrkelley23

#25 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:22 am

On the Espn website I was looking at the "who picked whom" part.

Guess which game had the widest margin nationally between who picked one team as winner?

That's right, last night's game. Boise State was picked by over 97% of the nation to win that game.

That was actually one of the games my mouse hesitated over when making my picks, just because I figured it would be that way, and I would be able to make up points on someone if it went the other way.

Oh well.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman