Transcript 9/18/09: Fred Roberts (guillotine06) (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/18/09: Fred Roberts (guillotine06) (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 am

Ten years ago, Fred missed out getting on the show via the phone game, since he was not there to receive the phone call…his mother told him he was disqualified. He took off his headset and didn’t sell any more credit cards that day (note- I’d like to hear this story in more detail- guillotine, did you not know the rules stated that you had to be there to receive the call in person? At any rate…at least you finally got on!)

$50,000- Entertainers

Which of these legendary TV personalities caught one of his big breaks hosting the game show “Who Do You Trust”?

A- George Burns B- Dick Clark
C- Johnny Carson D- Ed Sullivan

Fred reasons it out (Burns had been famous forever, Clark was famous for Bandstand, Carson was a DJ, and Sullivan…) before answering.
Spoiler
C- Johnny Carson (9)
$100,000- Artists

All of these artists were eighty-four when they died except whom?

A- Salvador Dali B- Edward Hopper
C- Norman Rockwell D- Pablo Picasso

Fred decides to leave with $50,000, putting him in second place behind Jeff Birt in the Tournament of Ten.
Spoiler
D- Pablo Picasso

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 9/18/09: Fred Roberts (guillotine06) (carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:59 am

Nihil obstat®

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:01 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ten years ago, Fred missed out getting on the show via the phone game, since he was not there to receive the phone call…his mother told him he was disqualified. He took off his headset and didn’t sell any more credit cards that day (note- I’d like to hear this story in more detail- guillotine, did you not know the rules stated that you had to be there to receive the call in person? At any rate…at least you finally got on!)
I'd also like to know if this was The Call to appear on the show after having passed the second round of the Phone Game or if this was simply the eligibility call to play that second round after passing the first round.

Congratulations on your $50,000 win, Fred!

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Ten years ago, Fred missed out getting on the show via the phone game, since he was not there to receive the phone call…his mother told him he was disqualified. He took off his headset and didn’t sell any more credit cards that day (note- I’d like to hear this story in more detail- guillotine, did you not know the rules stated that you had to be there to receive the call in person? At any rate…at least you finally got on!)
Shades of Todd_Rundgren! (Not exactly the same story, but similar.)
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000- Entertainers

Which of these legendary TV personalities caught one of his big breaks hosting the game show “Who Do You Trust”?

A- George Burns B- Dick Clark
C- Johnny Carson D- Ed Sullivan

Fred reasons it out (Burns had been famous forever, Clark was famous for Bandstand, Carson was a DJ, and Sullivan…) before answering.
Spoiler
C- Johnny Carson (9)
I've been a fan of Carson for years and knew this one right away.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000- Artists

Fred decides to leave with $50,000, putting him in second place behind Jeff Birt in the Tournament of Ten.
Spoiler
D- Pablo Picasso
Uh, oh! The only one I could rule out would be Picasso. I would have had all four lifelines, so it's time to pick one. I doubt the audience will do well on this one, and the expert is no help, either. Looks like it's PAF time and hope that this is googlable in less than 30 seconds.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#5 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:23 am

earendel wrote:

Spoiler
D- Pablo Picasso
Uh, oh! The only one I could rule out would be Picasso. I would have had all four lifelines, so it's time to pick one. I doubt the audience will do well on this one, and the expert is no help, either. Looks like it's PAF time and hope that this is googlable in less than 30 seconds.
What do you do when the PAF says it's Picasso?
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:31 am

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
earendel wrote:

Spoiler
D- Pablo Picasso
Knowing that's not right then I might as well burn the other lifelines, starting with ATA. I have a feeling that I'll end up walking away without using the Double Dip.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#7 Post by frogman042 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 am

earendel wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
earendel wrote: Uh, oh! The only one I could rule out would be Picasso. I would have had all four lifelines, so it's time to pick one. I doubt the audience will do well on this one, and the expert is no help, either. Looks like it's PAF time and hope that this is googlable in less than 30 seconds.
Knowing that's not right then I might as well burn the other lifelines, starting with ATA. I have a feeling that I'll end up walking away without using the Double Dip.
I'm really confused. Picasso was the right answer - so why do you think that you could have ruled out Picasso and even reject it from your PAF, if that turned out to be the case.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 am

frogman042 wrote:
earendel wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
I'm really confused. Picasso was the right answer - so why do you think that you could have ruled out Picasso and even reject it from your PAF, if that turned out to be the case.
Fanny asked me what I would have done. I would have been convinced in my own mind that Picasso lived into his 90s, so even if my PAF said otherwise, I'd have rejected the answer, burned the other lifelines and walked away.

Jeemie

#9 Post by Jeemie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 am

frogman042 wrote:
earendel wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
I think ear was saying that in his own mind, he was certain Picasso was 84 when he died.

I got this one...for the wrong reason.

I had it in my head that Picasso was much YOUNGER than 84 when he died.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 am

earendel wrote:
frogman042 wrote:
earendel wrote: Knowing that's not right then I might as well burn the other lifelines, starting with ATA. I have a feeling that I'll end up walking away without using the Double Dip.
Fanny asked me what I would have done. I would have been convinced in my own mind that Picasso lived into his 90s, so even if my PAF said otherwise, I'd have rejected the answer, burned the other lifelines and walked away.
Oh...then you're not understanding the question, ear.

If you knew Picasso lived to his 90s, then you would know he did NOT die at age 84.

Which is what the question was saying- 3 of these artists died at age 84, one did not. Who was he?

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 am

SPF: "What do you do when the PAF says it's Picasso?"

Ear: "Knowing that's not right then I might as well burn the other lifelines, starting with ATA"

But, but, but, it IS right. I think you mis-read the Q.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am

tlynn78 wrote:SPF: "What do you do when the PAF says it's Picasso?"

Ear: "Knowing that's not right then I might as well burn the other lifelines, starting with ATA"

t.
Exactly right. I did misunderstand the question. But that's a possibility when one is in the Hot Seat, and I tried to treat the stack as if I was there.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#13 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am

Jeemie wrote:
earendel wrote:
frogman042 wrote: I'm really confused. Picasso was the right answer - so why do you think that you could have ruled out Picasso and even reject it from your PAF, if that turned out to be the case.
Oh...then you're not understanding the question, ear.

If you knew Picasso lived to his 90s, then you would know he did NOT die at age 84.

Which is what the question was saying- 3 of these artists died at age 84, one did not. Who was he?
That was exactly what I did. Being the good little dyslexic that I am, I read it bass ackwards. When I was watching the show, the first thing I said was "Well, Picasso was in his 90s, so it wasn't him."

Hopefully, at that point Meredith would have bailed me out by saying something like, "then that would mean that the other three died at 84, right?"
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Jeemie

#14 Post by Jeemie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am

earendel wrote:

t.
Exactly right. I did misunderstand the question. But that's a possibility when one is in the Hot Seat, and I tried to treat the stack as if I was there.
And do you truly believe you wouldn't have figured out what the question was asking given a little time to think about it?

Especially when you would have had to read the question to your PAF?

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 am

Jeemie wrote:
earendel wrote:

t.
And do you truly believe you wouldn't have figured out what the question was asking given a little time to think about it?

Especially when you would have had to read the question to your PAF?
Who can say? However I'm afraid that I wouldn't - I can be very stubborn when I believe I'm right.

Snaxx

#16 Post by Snaxx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 am

100K- Since the right answer died at 91, I thought this was rather WGAS. I thought they would put in someone who died much younger and under tragic circumstances, and the point of the question would be recognizing the right answer for this, not whether someone lived to 84 or 91.

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Snaxx

#17 Post by Snaxx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 am

Since I'm on my Blackberry and did not see the name right away, I thought the comment from ear that he ruled out Picasso was from Kazoo! It just read like Kazoo to me. Oops!

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:47 am

jacorbett70 wrote:Since I'm on my Blackberry and did not see the name right away, I thought the comment from ear that he ruled out Picasso was from Kazoo! It just read like Kazoo to me. Oops!

We all have kazoo moments from time to time! :D

Appa23

#19 Post by Appa23 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:23 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:100K- Since the right answer died at 91, I thought this was rather WGAS. I thought they would put in someone who died much younger and under tragic circumstances, and the point of the question would be recognizing the right answer for this, not whether someone lived to 84 or 91.
As Picasso very famously lived into his 90s, I do not see it as a "WGAS" or "WWOQ".

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Appa23 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:100K- Since the right answer died at 91, I thought this was rather WGAS. I thought they would put in someone who died much younger and under tragic circumstances, and the point of the question would be recognizing the right answer for this, not whether someone lived to 84 or 91.
As Picasso very famously lived into his 90s, I do not see it as a "WGAS" or "WWOQ".
I guess that's so, if you consider living to 91 being very famously different from living to 84.

guillotine06

#21 Post by guillotine06 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm still a newbie here. Please excuse the water trickling down my ears. What do WGAS and WWOQ stand ford?

doitneatly

#22 Post by doitneatly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 pm

guillotine06 wrote:I'm still a newbie here. Please excuse the water trickling down my ears. What do WGAS and WWOQ stand ford?
Who Gives A Shit and Wicked Weed Out Question
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

guillotine06

#23 Post by guillotine06 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks, my friend. I've been thinking to myself this was an either you know it, or you don't know it question. With no lifelines left there was nothing I could do to reason it out.

guillotine06

#24 Post by guillotine06 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:59 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ten years ago, Fred missed out getting on the show via the phone game, since he was not there to receive the phone call…his mother told him he was disqualified. He took off his headset and didn’t sell any more credit cards that day (note- I’d like to hear this story in more detail- guillotine, did you not know the rules stated that you had to be there to receive the call in person? At any rate…at least you finally got on!)
I'd also like to know if this was The Call to appear on the show after having passed the second round of the Phone Game or if this was simply the eligibility call to play that second round after passing the first round.

Thanks!
It was the eligibility call to play the second round. I used to call every day figuring I'm going to miss the question again. The first time I passed the PFF, I stayed home from work the next day, hoping the show would call. Didn't happen. The time I did pass, and then went to work the next day, WOULD be the time they call back.

kusch

#25 Post by kusch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 am

guillotine06 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Thanks!
It was the eligibility call to play the second round. I used to call every day figuring I'm going to miss the question again. The first time I passed the PFF, I stayed home from work the next day, hoping the show would call. Didn't happen. The time I did pass, and then went to work the next day, WOULD be the time they call back.

Oh for the memories of staying home from work and waiting for the call. Yup, been there done that. :D

I am sure this is somewhere in some thread, but when will you find out if you are in the Tournament of Ten or whatever it is called? Or do you already know?