Transcript 09/17/09 - Fred Roberts (guillotine06)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/17/09 - Fred Roberts (guillotine06)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Fred Roberts (guillotine06)
Nashville, TN

Fred calls himself a good, old southern boy. He wasn't sure how he thought about folks up north. Then he came to New York.

Fred: New York City has a bad rap! I came up here and I said, "You know, where do you get some good New York pizza? I didn't think people were going to stop and talk to me. They're like, "You go down this street right here! You go past that first pizza joint, they're no good. You go like three or four doors down, and then you make a right at that pizza joint, you get some real pizza there!" I'm like, "Thanks, I appreciate it!"

Meredith: And they were right!

Fred: They were right!

Question Topics:
* Color Wheel
* Landmarks
* History of Law
* Artists
* Entertainers
* Mountains
* Government
* Money
* Broadway
* Literary Names
* Inventors
* Movie Stars
* Cable TV
* Education
* Common Phrases

$500 * Common Phrases
Someone who is attempting to be organized is said to be getting their what "in a row"?

A: Fish B: Ducks
C: Frogs D: Caffeinated beverages
Answer
B: Ducks ( 7 )
$1,000 * Education
What kind of graduate school holds "white coat ceremonies," at which students are given their profession's traditional clothing?

A: Law B: Business
C: Architecture D: Medical
Answer
D: Medical ( 10 )
$2,000 * Cable TV
After being lost in a Utah forest for eighteen hours, a nine-year-old boy credited his survival to what popular cable TV show?

A: Project Runway B: Man vs. Wild
C: Top Chef D: The Hills
Answer
B: Man vs. Wild ( 7 )
$3,000 * Movie Stars
Which of these movies stars named "Sean" is a woman?

A: Sean Penn B: Sean Astin
C: Sean Young D: Sean Connery
Answer
C: Sean Young ( 6 )
$5,000 * Inventors
For inventing the Ski-Doo in the late 1950s, Joseph-Armand Bombardier is consider the "father" of what?

A: Motorcycling B: Snowmobiling
C: Rock climbing D: Mountain biking

With 6 seconds left, Fred decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 5% B: 89% C: 1% D: 5%
Answer
B: Snowmobiling ( 3 )
-- Commercial Break --

$7,500 * Literary Names
Which of these authors has a last name that is also a euphemism for "the devils"?

A: Walt Whitman B: Rudyard Kipling
C: Mary Shelley D: Charles Dickens
Answer
D: Charles Dickens ( 16 )
$10,000 * Broadway
What 2009 Tony winner for Best Revival of a Musical originally opened on Broadway on April 29, 1968?

A: Hair B: Guys and Dolls
C: Pal Joey D: West Side Story

With 15 seconds left, Fred decides to Phone A Friend.

Fred's PAF team are his coworker, Cas, Nashville, TN; his friend, Jason, Mt. Juliel, TN; and his uncle, Lawrence, Philadelphia, PA.

Fred calls "J. Bizzle Jason".

Meredith: Uhhh, what's that about?

Fred: It's a Tennessee thing.

Fred paraphrases the question, adding "I'm leaning towards Hair. Can you confirm?"

Jason: Uhhh. 2009 Tony winner.

Fred: Best revival of musical. Ten seconds!

Jason: Uhh, you know, I would have to go probably with Hair, as well.

Fred: Guys and Dolls, Pal Joey, West Side Story are the other choices.

Jason: I'm gonna go with Hair.

Fred: All right.

Fred's not great with that. With 11 seconds left, he decides to Ask The Expert.

Ali Wentworth is studying the question when Fred asks a question.

Fred: Ali, 1968. Can you see any of those opening around that time?

Ali: Well, it's a revival, so it mean it's not the original. So, it's the 60s, so you'd think Hair would originally start in the 60s. Ummm--West Side Story was the 60s. I would guess Guys and Doll. But that is just a guess.

With 10 seconds left, Fred decides to Double Dip.

Fred's first answer is
Spoiler
A: Hair
Answer
A: Hair ( 10 )
-- Commercial Break --
Sneak Peak at One of Tomorrow's Questions
Which of these legendary TV personalities caught one of hsi big breaks hosting the game show "Who Do You Trust?"
A: George Burns B: Dick Clark
C: Johnny Carson D: Ed Sullivan
$12,500 * Money
Before the euro became their official currency, Germans paid for their bratwurst with what?

A: Lire B: Kronur
C: Marks D: Rubles
Answer
C: Marks ( 25 )
$15,000 * Government
According to its acronym, the 2008 U.S. government program known as TARP was designed to address what issue?

A: Telemarketing ads B: Troubled assets
C: Terrorist acts D: Trade agreements
Answer
B: Troubled assets ( 21 )
$25,000 * Mountains
The Cordillera Oriental and the Cordillera Occidental are two of the principle ranges in what enormous mountain system?

A: Rockies B: Himalayas
C: Alps D: Andes
Answer
D: Andes ( 9 )
-- Commercial Break --

Fred will return on tomorrow's show.

Tournament of Ten Leader Board

1. Jeff Birt $100,000 - 1:53
2. Alan Carver $25,000 - 0:30
3. Stephanie Millien $25,000 - 1:40
4. Will Capp $25,000 - 2:39
5. Karen Geddeis $16,000 - 1:23
6. Melissa Brown $16,000 - 1:34
7. London Pfahler $12,500 - 1:14
8. Xann Wilson $10,000 - 0:40
9. Matt Mindlin $7,500 - 0:56
10. Russell Carmon $5,000 - 0:41

christie1111
11:11

Re: Transcript 09/17/09 - Fred Roberts (guillotine06)

#2 Post by christie1111 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Okay Mr. Transcriber.

Was the adult beverage required?
Spoiler
Yup. Thought so.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Fred calls "J. Bizzle Jason".

Uhhh, Snoop Dogg is from Long Beach, CA...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

guillotine06

#4 Post by guillotine06 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:14 pm

1st day down, 1 to go.
First off, let's start off by saying Alexandra Wentworth is useless! She torpedoed Liz and tried to bamboozle me. The added irony was that her husband was the expert when I was in the ROF.
Now that I've got that off my chest, my strategy for the show was the Anti-Alan. I was going to use as many lifelines as were necessary to get to $25K, and then take my chances from there. TDC strikes early for me with the Ski-Doo question. I'm from the South, plenty of water, not much snow. So, as soon as I read the question, I misinterpreted it. I'm thinking Sea-Doo instead of Ski-Doo. When the answers pop up, I don't see anything water related, and I start to panic, fearing the dreaded llama out. Knowing what I know now, I should have ATE, which would have given me time to change my train of thought. As soon as Meredith sent the question to the audience I saw what I was missing and calmed down.
The next hiccup is my $10K category. The Arts are by far my weakest category. To compound that, in my hotel, they have a NYC Arts channel on a loop, and it keeps talking about the revival of Westside Story.
I have a pretty good idea, but I just want to confirm it. (Gotta get to $25K ya know)
So I call Jason, to confirm my hunch. He sounds anything but confident. So I end up burning 3 lifelines on 1 question.
But here's the kicker:
My idiot PAF was looking at the correct answer the whole time. He said he pretended to be unsure so that people wouldn't know he looked it up online! WTF!!!! In essence he wasted my other 2 lifelines.
Tune in tomorrow to see if it costs me.
Last edited by guillotine06 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 pm

guillotine06 wrote:Knowing what I know now, I should have ATE, which would have given me time to change my train of thought. As soon as Meredith sent the question to the audience I saw what I was missing and calmed down.
No it wouldn't have. You didn't yet have the ATE lifeline. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 pm

guillotine06 wrote:My idiot PAF was looking at the correct answer the whole time. He said he pretended to be unsure so that people wouldn't know he looked it up online! WTF!!!! In essence he wasted my other 2 lifelines.
I think that may be worse than a Dursting. At least a Dursting is an honest mistake. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

supportivemom

#7 Post by supportivemom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

You were fun to watch. I look forward to the outcome.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
guillotine06 wrote:My idiot PAF was looking at the correct answer the whole time. He said he pretended to be unsure so that people wouldn't know he looked it up online! WTF!!!! In essence he wasted my other 2 lifelines.
I think that may be worse than a Dursting. At least a Dursting is an honest mistake. --Bob
Right. We need a new term for this one.

Bizzling?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Right. We need a new term for this one.

Bizzling?
You're expecting a trend?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Estonut wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Right. We need a new term for this one.

Bizzling?
You're expecting a trend?
I certainly hope not!

doitneatly

#11 Post by doitneatly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Fred Roberts (guillotine06)
$25,000 * Mountains
The Cordillera Oriental and the Cordillera Occidental are two of the principle ranges in what enormous mountain system?

A: Rockies B: Himalayas
C: Alps D: Andes
Answer
D: Andes ( 9 )

It should be noted that Fred's "thinking out loud" before answering this was very impressive. Some sound and quick logical reasoning that combined a little lingustics and a little geography to come up with this crucial answer, while neatly avoiding the "oriental" distractor.

Bravo! :-)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

doitneatly

#12 Post by doitneatly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm

ouch! he's obviously not watched the show much at all... I hope you will cruise to the confetti anyway, thus making his ridiculous decision a completely moot point.

doitneatly

#13 Post by doitneatly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:16 pm

$10,000 * Broadway
What 2009 Tony winner for Best Revival of a Musical originally opened on Broadway on April 29, 1968?

Ali: Well, it's a revival, so it mean it's not the original. So, it's the 60s, so you'd think Hair would originally start in the 60s. Ummm--West Side Story was the 60s. I would guess Guys and Doll. But that is just a guess.[/i]
I think this was NOT a problem of ignorance, but a misunderstanding of the question. Look at her comments - she thought the revival was in 1968 and so she tried to pick the musical that opened before that. (This in spite of Fred's crystal clear distillation of the question for her.)

So in some bizarro world where that was actually the question being posed to her, her logic actually wasn't too far off. Guys and Dolls was indeed the oldest of those shows, it opened in 1950.

Without question this further solidifies her as the worst worst worst expert to date. If she had any shame, she'd switch to a mime routine where she just makes those silly exaggerated expressions of hers but doesn't say a word lest she mislead the poor hotseater.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#14 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:25 pm

doitneatly wrote:
$10,000 * Broadway

Ali: Well, it's a revival, so it mean it's not the original. So, it's the 60s, so you'd think Hair would originally start in the 60s. Ummm--West Side Story was the 60s. I would guess Guys and Doll. But that is just a guess.[/i]
I think this was NOT a problem of ignorance, but a misunderstanding of the question. Look at her comments - she thought the revival was in 1968 and so she tried to pick the musical that opened before that. (This in spite of Fred's crystal clear distillation of the question for her.)

So in some bizarro world where that was actually the question being posed to her, her logic actually wasn't too far off. Guys and Dolls was indeed the oldest of those shows, it opened in 1950.

Without question this further solidifies her as the worst worst worst expert to date. If she had any shame, she'd switch to a mime routine where she just makes those silly exaggerated expressions of hers but doesn't say a word lest she mislead the poor hotseater.
Oh, okay, that makes sense, sorta. I couldn't figure out what the french she was on about talking about Hair being in the 60s and then all of a sudden veering off course and saying that she thought it was Guys and Dolls.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Phil Ken Sebbin

#15 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 pm

guillotine06 wrote: But here's the kicker:
My idiot PAF was looking at the correct answer the whole time. He said he pretended to be unsure so that people wouldn't know he looked it up online! WTF!!!! In essence he wasted my other 2 lifelines.
Great job after a rocky start. I was truly wondering if your PAF was trying to not sound like he was looking it up. I thought the way you asked the question that he was googling it and he seemed to act a bit strange, but maybe I over-analyzed it. Anyway, it would have been nice to have your double dip and AT,um Expert? back.
Good luck tomorrow retroactively.
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

heelsrule1988

#16 Post by heelsrule1988 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Awesome comeback, Fred! It appeared you were toast after the $10K question, but you made a heck of a run to stay in the game and get to the big $25K mark. Good luck tomorrow!

Sorry about the PAF, by the way... that's a huge bummer. I'm sure you've already given him a beatdown. :twisted:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:06 pm

With friends like this, who needs Ali?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 am

Nashville, TN

Fred calls himself a good, old southern boy. He wasn't sure how he thought about folks up north. Then he came to New York.

Fred: New York City has a bad rap! I came up here and I said, "You know, where do you get some good New York pizza? I didn't think people were going to stop and talk to me. They're like, "You go down this street right here! You go past that first pizza joint, they're no good. You go like three or four doors down, and then you make a right at that pizza joint, you get some real pizza there!" I'm like, "Thanks, I appreciate it!"

Meredith: And they were right!

Fred: They were right!
This is great - two BBs back-to-back. When's the last time that happened?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000 * Broadway

With 15 seconds left, Fred decides to Phone A Friend.

Fred's PAF team are his coworker, Cas, Nashville, TN; his friend, Jason, Mt. Juliel, TN; and his uncle, Lawrence, Philadelphia, PA.

Fred calls "J. Bizzle Jason".

Fred paraphrases the question, adding "I'm leaning towards Hair. Can you confirm?"

Jason: Uhhh. 2009 Tony winner.

Fred: Best revival of musical. Ten seconds!

Jason: Uhh, you know, I would have to go probably with Hair, as well.

Fred: Guys and Dolls, Pal Joey, West Side Story are the other choices.

Jason: I'm gonna go with Hair.

Fred: All right.

Ali: Well, it's a revival, so it mean it's not the original. So, it's the 60s, so you'd think Hair would originally start in the 60s. Ummm--West Side Story was the 60s. I would guess Guys and Doll. But that is just a guess.

With 10 seconds left, Fred decides to Double Dip.

Fred's first answer is
Spoiler
A: Hair
Answer
A: Hair ( 10 )
Fred, I read your comment yesterday about your PAF. I can't understand why the "expert" would say that "Hair" sounded right and then give you a different answer. It's a shame that your lifelines are gone, but another BB has gone on to win the million without lifelines.

I eagerly anticipate your thoughts on your appearances.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:40 am

earendel wrote:I can't understand why the "expert" would say that "Hair" sounded right and then give you a different answer.
It's hard to tell from the transcripts, but when you listen to her actual words, it appears as if she got the question mixed up, and thought the revival was in 1968, and so therefore the original would have to be earlier.
1979 City of Champions 2009

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:54 am

Jeemie wrote:
earendel wrote:I can't understand why the "expert" would say that "Hair" sounded right and then give you a different answer.
It's hard to tell from the transcripts, but when you listen to her actual words, it appears as if she got the question mixed up, and thought the revival was in 1968, and so therefore the original would have to be earlier.
Ah, I see...thanks jeemie. It's hard to appreciate the nuances of the show from just the transcripts. Maybe someone will post the video.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:55 am

Jeemie wrote:
Yeah, that's what Fanny and doitneatly were discussing earlier in the thread. A perfectly reasonable answer, if a Broadway show was first run in the 50s, then closed, then was revived in 1968, and then continued to play for 41 years until it was finally recognized as the "Best Revival" in 2009.

And, presumably, if Ali is an "expert" in anything, one would expect it to be the field of acting... :roll:

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#22 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 am

Great job Fred - I'm looking forward to todays show.

Regarding the 'inexpert', I noticed when I was watching the show that she missunderstood the question as being a revival in 1968 (even though the question said it originally opened in 1968) and I was wondering if you realized that at the time as well.

Regarding you PAF - he owes you big time - there was no reason to pretend that he wasn't sure - you played it perfectly - distilling the question down to its essence - which play won the 2009 best musical revival - easiest way to google - and he got it. This is not the time or place to play games and pretend for the audience that you are unsure when you have the answer. It was very frustrating and replaces Clem's PAF as the all time worst PAF I've seen. Granted that it might not have made any difference in the long run as it is possible that the two remaining lifelines you had to burn may not have been useful later on up the stack - but there was no way to know that at the time. I'm all for rewarding my PAF's for their time and effort but in this case he should buy you dinner or something.

Finally, congrats on the 25K question - I would have been screwed as I would have gone with the Himalayas. I felt I could safely eliminate the Alps (I used to live in Switzerland and I'm sure I would have heard of these terms if it applied to them) and the Rockies. To me, Oriental and Occidental meant an East - West line - and the Andes run North/South whereas the Himalayas lie more along a East/West axis - so I would have gone with and be gone with Himalayas as a final answer.

Again, great job and retro-good luck today.

Jeemie

#23 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 am

Why do you guys keep picking on Clem's PAF?

Clem himself said it was all good...he had no problem with what his PAF did.

And I will say it in a third thread that training up a PAF is the contestant's responsibility. From what I can glean, Fred's PAF wasn't playing for effect- he thought he had to hide the fact that he was using Google.

This is something that should have been dealt with ahead of time.
1979 City of Champions 2009

NellyLunatic1980

#24 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 am

Nashville, TN
Yay, Fred! :D

$5K: The "Ski" part of the question didn't hit me fast enough. It wasn't until after I called for ATA that I realized it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000 * Broadway

Would it be wrong if I said "Jane, you ignorant slut!" to Ali?

Despite having to burn three lifelines on that question, Fred did a great job of proving that sometimes, you don't even need those stinking lifelines to win $25,000. A little knowledge, some educated guessing, and the courage to act on both work just as well.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#25 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am

Jeemie wrote:Why do you guys keep picking on Clem's PAF?

Clem himself said it was all good...he had no problem with what his PAF did.

And I will say it in a third thread that training up a PAF is the contestant's responsibility. From what I can glean, Fred's PAF wasn't playing for effect- he thought he had to hide the fact that he was using Google.

This is something that should have been dealt with ahead of time.
I will continue to pick on Clem's PAF - regardless of fact that Clem was cool with it. It was to me a bonehead thing to do. I could cut him some slack for the first time he went for the laugh regarding how badly Clem wanted the answer (IIRC), there was still plenty of time on the PAF clock, but to keep it up into the single digits, IMO, is just being a dick. The phone line drops or some other technical problem occurs, static on the line and Clem doesn't hear the answer, or something doesn't click for Clem and he wants to discuss it for a few seconds more, any of those things could have occurred and Clem would have been screwed. The fact that those outcomes didn't happen is of no consequence - it had the potential of going very badly and only because his PAF was enjoying pulling Clem's chain. That is not the time to play these childish games, IMO, period. It was stupid and risky and there was no excuse for it. Just because Clem was OK with it doesn't make what he did any less stupid.

Regarding Fred and his PAF - I'm pretty sure when I was doing my PAF practices I went over the fact that you shouldn't talk outloud about googling but that I still need to know a confidence level, and we practiced that. so if they googled and were sure of the result they knew how to relate that level of assurance. I don't know the prep time Fred did and what happened behind the scenes, but there was no excuse for his PAF giving him a wishy-washy response when his information was clearly solid. If Fred said to his PAF, don't give me a solid response if you get it via google is one thing, I doubt that he did, it was up to his PAF to relay the appropriate level of confidence in the answer and he clearly did not do that. If it was because they just didn't practice then, yes, Fred owns some of that, if their practices mirrored what happened and Fred didn't work to correct it, then Fred owns even more of that responsibility, but if it was something that his PAF did on his own not to make it look like he was 'cheating', well, after 10 years of BAM and thousands of PAFs, his PAF should have known better - you give as much info as you can - with the appropriate level of confidence - and he failed to do that, with really bad (IMO) consequences.