Transcript 09/17/09 - Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl) carryover

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/17/09 - Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl) carryover

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl)
Valrico, FL

Liz has a vision of how it's going to go today: $250,000. $1,000,000 wouldn't fit on her deposit slip and $500,000 seems like too much, so she's envisioning $250,000. But if she gets to $250,000, she'll keep going!

Question Topics:
* Inventors
* Awards
* Painters
* Life on Earth
* Geography
* Word Origins
* Transportation
* Popular Television
* Business
* (Photography)
* (Fashion Accessories)
* (Animal Kingdom)
* (Snack Foods)
* (High School)
* (U.S. History)

Liz still has all her lifelines, including the ATE with today's expert, Ali Wentworth.

$10,000 * Business
Undoing a failed merger between old and new media, in 200 Time Warner announced it was spinning off what internet company?

A: eBay B: Amazon.com
C: Cisco D: AOL

With 8 seconds left, Liz decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 6% B: 7% C: 2% D: 87%

That's what Liz thought.
Answer
D: AOL ( 6 )
$12,500 * Popular Television
Which of these famous movie directors has appeared on "American Idol" as a celebrity mentor?

A: Spike Lee B: Quentin Tarantino
C: M. Night Shyamalan D: John Waters
Answer
B: Quentin Tarantino ( 23 )
$15,000 * Transportation
Which of these parts of a sailboat is intended to be underwater during a voyage?

A: Jib B: Boom
C: Keel D: Mast

With 9 seconds left, Liz decides to Double Dip.

Liz's first answer is
Spoiler
Keel

Meredith: No...way you're going back down. You got it right.

Answer
C: Keel ( 9 )
Meredith: Well, well, well.

Liz: You're good!

Meredith: You're good! No, you're good!

$25,000 * Word Origins
Used to describe food prepared for consumption by Muslims, "halal" comes from an Arabic word meaning what?

A: Lawful B: Trusted
C: New D: Blessed

With 17 seconds left, Liz decides to Phone A Friend.

Liz's PAF team (who get no introduction from Meredith) are Jenni, Wesley Chapel, FL; Robert, Mayfield Heights, OH; and John, Streetsboro, OH.

Liz decides to call Jenni. She paraphrases the question, beginning by spelling "halal".

Liz: Five seconds!

Jenni: Oh my gosh, Liz, I'm not sure!

Liz: Any idea?

Jenni: Ummm--give me the chances again?

[Time runs out.]

With 15 seconds left, Liz decides to Ask The Expert.

Meredith: Ali, what do you know about Arabic?

Ali rolls her eyes, then without seeing her move her lips, we hear a voice say "A lot!"

Ali reads the question and makes a face with her mouth agape.

Liz: Don't make that face! Don't make that face!

Ali makes a different face with her mouth agape, but smiling.

Liz: Good! Better.

Ali: I would say--I would say Blessed. I'm guessing, but "used to describe food prepared for consumption," you'd bless food. Wouldn't trust it. You don't know if the food is new. And it's not illegal food.

Liz: Right. I wonder if there was like a Muslim law or something, that--I don't know.

Ali: I am so not the person to ask.

Liz: Okay.

Ali: I'm sorry. I would have brushed up on my Arabic. Okay, good luck!

Liz: Okay, I'm gonna go with her. That's what I was thinking and that's it! I'm gonna go with Blessed, final answer.

Liz drops to $5,000.

Answer
A: Lawful ( 7 )

-- Commercial Break --

Jeemie

Re: Transcript 09/17/09 - Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl) carryover

#2 Post by Jeemie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:05 pm

ATA at $12,500. I don't watch American Idol.

Possible DD on $25,000- "blessed" bothered me a lot, but I may have had the guts to pull the trigger on "lawful".

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Liz. Wish you could have pulled the trigger on "AOL" and "keel" w/o lifelines.
Last edited by Jeemie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 City of Champions 2009

clem21
Nose Exploder

#3 Post by clem21 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Damn that Ali Wentworth. Worse than Jim Cramer even.

You did great anyway Liz. You looked smart. You had fun (I'm sure). You won free money.

Life's good.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

chad1m

#4 Post by chad1m » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm disappointed that Ali Wentworth didn't get replaced mid-week with a Jennings or a Carpenter. But, then again, like Carver earlier in the week, Liz placed her trust in a poor place. Sucks that Wentworth sucks and I really sympathize, but them's the breaks. No one forced her to agree with Dingbaticus.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

clem21
Nose Exploder

#5 Post by clem21 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:13 pm

chad1m wrote:I'm disappointed that Ali Wentworth didn't get replaced mid-week with a Jennings or a Carpenter. But, then again, like Carver earlier in the week, Liz placed her trust in a poor place. Sucks that Wentworth sucks and I really sympathize, but them's the breaks. No one forced her to agree with Dingbaticus.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to stick my Nihil up your Obstaht buddy...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:41 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Word Origins
Used to describe food prepared for consumption by Muslims, "halal" comes from an Arabic word meaning what?

Liz's PAF team (who get no introduction from Meredith) are Jenni, Wesley Chapel, FL; Robert, Mayfield Heights, OH; and John, Streetsboro, OH.

Liz decides to call Jenni. She paraphrases the question, beginning by spelling "halal".

[Time runs out.]
Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. In my opinion, many of them can be easily solved using Google and the term "etymology" along with the word. In this case, "halal etymology" gives you the answer in the first blurb. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. In my opinion, many of them can be easily solved using Google and the term "etymology" along with the word. In this case, "halal etymology" gives you the answer in the first blurb. --Bob
Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. Many of them are in the M-W on-line dictionary. No need to skim blurbs...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Liz, I really enjoyed watching your shows. You were a charming contestant and a credit to the Bored.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $10,000 * Business
Undoing a failed merger between old and new media, in 200 Time Warner announced it was spinning off what internet company?

An easy question for me, since my dad worked for Time magazine for over 20 years.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000 * Word Origins

I knew this too, maybe because I was born in Israel. BTW, the Arabic word for "blessed" is . . . Barack.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

doitneatly

#9 Post by doitneatly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. In my opinion, many of them can be easily solved using Google and the term "etymology" along with the word. In this case, "halal etymology" gives you the answer in the first blurb. --Bob
Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. Many of them are in the M-W on-line dictionary. No need to skim blurbs...
This is certainly a subjective matter, but in G-PAF training I was a fan of the "google, and only google - don't waste crucial moments in selecting which window/tab to type in..." approach. So I vote for the first suggestion above over the second.

Every second counts. I trust that the google result set will load at least a little bit faster than the m-w lookup result. Not to mention the crucial moments lost as the PAF processes that this is a dictionary question and then switches to the m-w.com window/tab.

I admit there is the real risk that the google result blurbs aren't sufficiently helpful, another point where I trust the big blue G.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

heelsrule1988

#10 Post by heelsrule1988 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:54 pm

It's such a shame that the evil Ali Wentworth cursed you, Liz... I feel like you could have made a solid run into the third tier if not for that. I offer you a consolation e-hug. :(

NellyLunatic1980

#11 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Liz still has all her lifelines, including the ATE with today's expert, Ali Wentworth.
<sigh>®...

$12.5K: No clue. ATA.

$25K: My educated guess was lawful, but I would've needed to PAF for reassurance.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:With 15 seconds left, Liz decides to Ask The Expert.

Ali rolls her eyes, then without seeing her move her lips, we hear a voice say "A lot!"

Yep... Ali Wentworth is more useless than tits on a bull.

You were a delight to watch, Liz. Sorry you got dursted by Ali. Spend your $5,000 wisely.

Jeemie

#12 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:18 am

doitneatly wrote:
Estonut wrote:
This is certainly a subjective matter, but in G-PAF training I was a fan of the "google, and only google - don't waste crucial moments in selecting which window/tab to type in..." approach. So I vote for the first suggestion above over the second.

Every second counts. I trust that the google result set will load at least a little bit faster than the m-w lookup result. Not to mention the crucial moments lost as the PAF processes that this is a dictionary question and then switches to the m-w.com window/tab.

I admit there is the real risk that the google result blurbs aren't sufficiently helpful, another point where I trust the big blue G.
Typing "halal" alone in Google brings up the answer in the first two hits.

And I did this 5 minutes after the question was asked...if the Bots are THAT fast, they're good.
1979 City of Champions 2009

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl)
Valrico, FL

Liz has a vision of how it's going to go today: $250,000. $1,000,000 wouldn't fit on her deposit slip and $500,000 seems like too much, so she's envisioning $250,000. But if she gets to $250,000, she'll keep going!
C'mon, FlaGal, we know you want to win the million!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000 * Business

That's what Liz thought.
Answer
AOL Time Warner was the company. I'd like to know why you didn't go with your thought rather than use the lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12,500 * Popular Television
Which of these famous movie directors has appeared on "American Idol" as a celebrity mentor?

Answer
Another "Idol" question - and I have no idea, so time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 * Transportation
Which of these parts of a sailboat is intended to be underwater during a voyage?

Liz's first answer is
Spoiler
Keel

Answer
What would have been your second choice?

[Time runs out.]

Ali: I would say--I would say Blessed. I'm guessing, but "used to describe food prepared for consumption," you'd bless food. Wouldn't trust it. You don't know if the food is new. And it's not illegal food.

Liz: Right. I wonder if there was like a Muslim law or something, that--I don't know.

Liz: Okay, I'm gonna go with her. That's what I was thinking and that's it! I'm gonna go with Blessed, final answer.

Liz drops to $5,000.
Answer
Oh, Liz, I'm so sorry. "Halal" is the Islamic equivalent of "kosher", which determines what is and isn't lawful to eat.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheSearchIsOn

#14 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:42 am

Too bad it wouldn't be lawful to have Ali keel-hauled. They really need to select better experts for the show. Aside from her marriage, her biggest claims to fame are her appearance as Schmoopy on Seinfeld and being a regular on In Living Color.

To TPTB, you should stick to former WWTBAM contestants and people known for their intelligence (ie. Bill Nye, Ken Jennings) for your Experts. I'm sure several here would be willing to volunteer, myself included.

Sorry to see your run end on a sour note Liz. My wife was also hit with a foreign language word question at that level, so we certainly understood how frustrated you must have felt. It's tough to logically figure out the right answer when you aren't familiar with the language.
President, Big Taste Nation

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:54 am

Bob78164 wrote:

[Time runs out.]
Clue for future PAFs. There are a lot of word origin questions. In my opinion, many of them can be easily solved using Google and the term "etymology" along with the word. In this case, "halal etymology" gives you the answer in the first blurb. --Bob
"define: halal" (without the quotes but with the colon) is best.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#16 Post by kayrharris » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am

clem21 wrote:
chad1m wrote:I'm disappointed that Ali Wentworth didn't get replaced mid-week with a Jennings or a Carpenter. But, then again, like Carver earlier in the week, Liz placed her trust in a poor place. Sucks that Wentworth sucks and I really sympathize, but them's the breaks. No one forced her to agree with Dingbaticus.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to stick my Nihil up your Obstaht buddy...

Now that's funny....I don't care who typed it.
(said in my best Peacock voice. :) ).

kay

rgcviper

Reply to: Transcript 09/17/09 - Liz Bollinger

#17 Post by rgcviper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 am

Seriously ... where does the show find these "experts"? (As opposed to some of the more helpful ones mentioned earlier here.)

Sorry for the end results, Liz. You played a good game.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:39 pm

TheSearchIsOn wrote:To TPTB, you should stick to former WWTBAM contestants and people known for their intelligence (ie. Bill Nye, Ken Jennings) for your Experts. I'm sure several here would be willing to volunteer, myself included.
I think they should simply require someone to pass the written test before being allowed to serve as an Expert. (Former contestants can be exempted from this requirement.) They won't do it because the risk of embarrassing a celebrity is too great, but they should. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Here's an article about Liz's appearance:

http://brandonnews2.tbo.com/content/200 ... aire/news/

FloridaGirl

#20 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
TheSearchIsOn wrote:To TPTB, you should stick to former WWTBAM contestants and people known for their intelligence (ie. Bill Nye, Ken Jennings) for your Experts. I'm sure several here would be willing to volunteer, myself included.
I think they should simply require someone to pass the written test before being allowed to serve as an Expert. (Former contestants can be exempted from this requirement.) They won't do it because the risk of embarrassing a celebrity is too great, but they should. --Bob
Really, it's an excellent idea, Bob!

FloridaGirl

#21 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Liz Bollinger (FloridaGirl)
Valrico, FL

Question Topics:
* Inventors
* Awards
* Painters
* Life on Earth
* Geography
* Word Origins
* Transportation
* Popular Television
* Business
* (Photography)
* (Fashion Accessories)
* (Animal Kingdom)
* (Snack Foods)
* (High School)
* (U.S. History)

Liz still has all her lifelines, including the ATE with today's expert, Ali Wentworth.
$10,000 * Business

That's what Liz thought.
Answer
My problem here was that I over-thought this! I kept wondering why it didn't read "spinning off from." It technically didn't spin off a company, it spun itself off from a company. That's what was throwing me off. This is where my proofreading skills have made me neurotic about word choice! So, I thought that maybe Time Warner spun off a company and I wasn't aware of it.
$12,500 * Popular Television

Answer
I knew this because I remembered seeing him on American Idol. I also remember thinking at the time, "Why is he on American Idol, a singing show, when he's a movie guy?" This is rather ironic, because on this day, I was thinking, "Now, why is Ali Wentworth an expert when she's not very smart? :wink:
$15,000 * Transportation

Liz's first answer is
Spoiler
Keel

Answer
This was very lucky because I only knew that it wasn't Mast. I didn't even have a second answer picked out. I figured if Keel was wrong, I'd go with either Jib or Boom. What the heck was I thinking? Man, was I lucky with this!
Meredith: Well, well, well.

Liz: You're good!

Meredith: You're good! No, you're good!
I love Meredith!
And, here's where things go oh-so horribly wrong!

$25,000 * Word Origins

[Time runs out.]
This was a very, very bad situation. Jenni and I both went through the auditions together; we both went to Regis together; and, now, we were each other's phone a friends (she was going to the show a week after me). Jenni is obsessed with the show and has a notebook filled with questions that she has transcribed after watching the show endlessly. I figured she would be the ideal PAF. She actually had me practice with her for hours, during which she was very fast on google. We talked about how we would have google, google images, google maps, and wikipedia all open, to be prepared for anything. We also discussed what would and wouldn't be a good google question. So, when I saw this question, I knew there could be no better lifeline to use than the PAF.

When she didn't get the answer, I was really, really surprised. I'm not sure if that came through -- because our satellite went out due to heavy rain here and I still haven't seen the episode! -- or not. After the show was over, my mom was saying, well, maybe there are a lot of restaurants with that term in the name and she couldn't find it. OK, I went with that ... until I got home and googled it myself. That's when I saw that it's the very first thing that comes up, no clicking through needed or anything.

There are a lot of other thing that have happened since then -- some things I've heard she's said about people getting in the hot seat who didn't really need the money (apparently that's me). And, she called me before she was leaving to tape her show and said she wouldn't be calling me to be her PAF since she wouldn't expect me to help her after she didn't help me.

It's all very odd and junior-high-school like. It just stinks, but I learned a valuable lesson -- a $5,000 lesson perhaps ;) -- about trust. I keep thinking about how so many of you offered to be my PAF and how I should have taken you up on it. :(

This was pure desperation at this point. I knew she was going to be zero help. For goodness sake, she looked like she just rolled out of bed!

Liz drops to $5,000.

Answer
I was really looking for some confirmation that "lawful" should be ruled out. And, I got the confirmation, but now I think that whatever she thought, I should have done the opposite. :) I was thinking too much like the Catholic girl I am, where so many things have to be blessed. Looking back, I wonder if I hadn't used the ATA on the AOL question if they might have known the answer. Guess I'll never know!

-- Commercial Break --

FloridaGirl

#22 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:18 pm

clem21 wrote:Damn that Ali Wentworth. Worse than Jim Cramer even.

You did great anyway Liz. You looked smart. You had fun (I'm sure). You won free money.

Life's good.
Thanks, Clem! :)

FloridaGirl

#23 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Yep, I learned many a lesson about trust during this process. That's a definite!

FloridaGirl

#24 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:22 pm

jarnon wrote:Liz, I really enjoyed watching your shows. You were a charming contestant and a credit to the Bored.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $10,000 * Business

An easy question for me, since my dad worked for Time magazine for over 20 years.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000 * Word Origins

I knew this too, maybe because I was born in Israel. BTW, the Arabic word for "blessed" is . . . Barack.
Thanks, jarnon. That's interesting about Barack, wish I'd known that before!

FloridaGirl

#25 Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

[Time runs out.]
"define: halal" (without the quotes but with the colon) is best.
Unfortunately, I don't think that would have made a difference in this case.