Transcript 09/11/09 - Alan Carver

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/11/09 - Alan Carver

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks to Chad1m, who transcribed this.

One less contestant for whoever's picking up the remainder of the 11th episode for me. I will definitely remember to set my recorder to pick up Friday episodes from now on!

Transcriber's note -- this contestant is worth watching on YouTube. I've inserted it below

Alan Carver
Federal Way, WA

Meredith: "Joining me now is Alan Carver from Federal Way, Washington, and Alan, I know this is a very special day for you."

Alan: "Yes, it's my birthday, my 47th birthday."

(Good-natured applause from the audience)

Meredith: "Happy birthday to you."

(More applause, which Alan steps on, absolutely deadpan, with . . . .)

Alan: "I'm gonna win a million dollars on my birthday."

Meredith: "What did you say?"

(A little more slowly)

Alan: "I'm going to win a million dollars on my birthday."

(More enthusiastic applause)

Meredith: "Wow! You say that like you . . . you're not even kiddin' around, you're gonna make . . . ."

(Alan interrupts, a touch insistently)

Alan: "I'm going to win a million dollars on my birthday." (Meredith interjects, "Okay!" and gives an exaggerated flinch.) Alan continues in a tone that implies the answer had better be no: "Do you have a problem with that?"

Meredith (holding her hands up to shield herself): "No!" (Laughs a bit, then turns to her right.) "Security!"

Meredith: "Actually, speaking about security, you have worked security, right? For the Star Trek Intergalactic Security Team."

Transcriber's Note -- Please, please, please tell me this guy was a Phone Game qualifier.

Alan: "I did some stuff with the Klingon Diplomatic Corps. We're a small group of fans of Star Trek who did security at conventions. 'We're the Klingon Diplomatic Corps. We don't have to be diplomatic.'"

Meredith: "I picked up on that much earlier, actually, Alan. Well, you know what? It's a thrill to have you here because you're a determined guy."

Alan: "It's a thrill to be here, Meredith."

Meredith: "That's what we like. You said that for nine years you've been trying to get in this Hot Seat."

Alan: "Right."

Meredith: "You're in it now, you're stuck like glue. Fifteen questions away from a million dollars. You obviously know the rules and the lifelines. These are the categories in front of you."

Alan: "Let's do it."

Meredith: "Let's do it?"

Alan: "Let's go."

Meredith: "Let's go. Let's play. Let's do something."

Category Tree:
* Brainiacs
* The Original
* Famous Names
* Oh, Henry!
* Practice Time
* Chicago
* Delicious Fruit
* Denim
* Don't Quote Me
* WWII
* Bad Words
* Put a Lid on It
* Let's Play House
* That's Class
* Shake Shake Shake

$100 * Shake Shake Shake
According to Emily Post, at the movies you should turn which of these items to "vibrate"?
A: Laptop computer B: Cell phone
C: Digital camera D: Significant other

He answers immediately, only allowing Meredith to speak choice A before the answer is locked in.
Answer
B: Cell phone ( 12 )
$200 * That's Class
Dedicated in 1984, Arizona State University's Cronkite School focuses on what professional field?
A: Fashion design B: Architecture
C: Journalism D: Classical music

He immediately interrupts again.
Answer
C: Journalism ( 13 )
Meredith reads the next category: "Let's play house. Not you and me, I know your wife's up there."

$300 * Let's Play House
Which of these household objects is commonly used as a musical instrument in folk and country music?
A: Umbrella stand B: Washboard
C: Lampshade D: Mirror

And again.
Answer
B: Washboard (13)
$500 * Put a Lid on It
In 2009, a retractable roof was added to Centre Court to prevent rain delays at what prestigious sporting event?
A: Wimbledon B: Indianapolis 500
C: The Masters D: Kentucky Derby

And again.
Answer
A: Wimbledon ( 14 )
Alan: "I'm a man on fire."

Meredith: "You are." (Laughs, a touch hysterically) "Ssssss. You are hot!"

$1,000 * Bad Words
The name of what medical condition comes from Greek roots meaning "bad word"?
A: Anemia B: Dyslexia
C: Myopia D: Insomnia

...and again.
Answer
B: Dyslexia ( 12 )
As we go to break, Alan says confidently to Meredith, "I'm going to win a million dollars today."

-- Commercial Break --

A question from Monday:
Spoiler
$25,000
By definition, someone who is "skirling" is playing what musical instrument?
A. Cowbell, B. Bagpipes
C. Xylophone, D. Accordion
Meredith: "And we are back with Alan Carver from Federal Way, Washington. All right, Alan. Do you still think you're gonna win a million dollars?"

Alan: "No, I know I'm going to win a million dollars. And I'm going to do it today."

Meredith: "You're going to do it, today."

Alan: "Today."

Meredith (deadpan): "Today."

Alan: "Yeah."

Meredith (deadpan): "Today."

Alan: "Do you have a problem with that?"

Meredith (exaggerated flinch and laugh): "I don't know. Laurie! Laurie is Alan's wife, lovely Laurie in the audience. What do you think? Is he going to do it?"

Laurie: "We're here to take your money."

Meredith: "Oh! Okay, you're here to take the money, then I should just . . . shut up, right, and let you play."

$2,000 * WWII
The site of an infamous World War II battle, Okinawa is a prefecture governed by what nation?
A: Japan B: South Korea
C: The Philippines D: Vietnam

He answers immediately once again.

Meredith: "Now you're gettin' on my nerves."

Answer
A: Japan ( 29 )
$4,000 * Don't Quote Me
At a 2009 event, President Obama joked that what politician was writing a memoir titled "How To Shoot Friends and Interrogate People"?
A: Hillary Clinton B: Dick Cheney
C: Joe Biden D: John McCain

.........and again.
Answer
B: Dick Cheney ( 28 )
Meredith: "Alan, did you write these questions?"

Alan: "No, but there are other people waiting to play the game and I want to give them a chance."

(Wild applause.)

Meredith: "You're so generous, you are so generous! We're not gonna have any money after you get done."

Alan (deadpan): "That really isn't my problem." (Deadpan breaks -- he chuckles a bit.)

Meredith: "No, it isn't. It's not mine either, for that matter!"

$8,000 * Denim
Which of these jeans makers features a horse's head in profile in its logo
A: Guess? B: Wrangler
C: Lee D: Jordache

......and again.

Answer
D: Jordache ( 28 )
$16,000 * Delicious Fruit
What variety of fruit is sometimes referred to as an "Algerian tangerine," after where some believe it was discovered?
A: Clementine B: Guava
C: Avocado D: Papaya

No immediate response this time, as Alan uses ATA with 21 seconds left.

A: 71% B: 14% C: 3% D: 12%

Answer
A: Clementine

The horn goes off and Alan will be back on Monday facing a $25,000 question.

Tournament of Ten pecking order:
1. Will Capp, $25,000, 2:39
2. Karen Geddeis, $16,000, 1:23
3. Melissa Brown, $16,000, 1:34
4. London Pfahler, $8,000, 1:14
5. Russell Carmon, $1,000, 0:41
6. Kazia MacLeod, $1,000, 0:42
7. Matt Sittel, $1,000, 0:53
8: Brian Peterkin, $1,000, 1:04
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

hanzz

Re: Transcript 09/11/09 - Alan Carver

#2 Post by hanzz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:33 am

Interesting. I can't watch any of the shows now that I'm away at college, but I would really like to take a gander at this guy.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:44 am

hanzz wrote:Interesting. I can't watch any of the shows now that I'm away at college, but I would really like to take a gander at this guy.
Your wish is my command. I've added the YouTube of his appearance. It's worth watching.

I've also transcribed the banter as close to word-for-word as I could get it. This is one contestant with whom it's worth the effort. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

hanzz

#4 Post by hanzz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:54 am

Bob78164 wrote:
hanzz wrote:Interesting. I can't watch any of the shows now that I'm away at college, but I would really like to take a gander at this guy.
Your wish is my command. I've added the YouTube of his appearance. It's worth watching.

I've also transcribed the banter as close to word-for-word as I could get it. This is one contestant with whom it's worth the effort. --Bob
Thank you so much! It was refreshing to see someone not poop out on simple questions for once (God knows how many people would have had to burn a lifeline on Okinawa). I can't but the think that Meredith looked ever so slightly irked at first, only to get used to it. We'll see how this plays out.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:07 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I cannot BELIEVE I didn't think of inserting the YouTube clip.

If anybody screamed out "worthy to use the new functionality tubadave installed", it was this guy!
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcriber's Note -- Please, please, please tell me this guy was a Phone Game qualifier.
He was, as mentioned in the articles I linked to in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21634

While TPTB are making the most of what they've got with Alan, I'd wager that he's another boring MAWG who would never, never have been cast from an audition.

So good for you, Alan, getting that lucky break from the Phone Game!

And take all their money on Monday!!!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:I've also transcribed the banter as close to word-for-word as I could get it. This is one contestant with whom it's worth the effort. --Bob
Thanks, Bob! I know how much more effort it takes to transcribe some lengthy bantering along with the Q&A. As you said, this particular appearance is one that definitely needs to be preserved for the history books!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcriber's Note -- Please, please, please tell me this guy was a Phone Game qualifier.
He was, as mentioned in the articles I linked to in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21634

While TPTB are making the most of what they've got with Alan, I'd wager that he's another boring MAWG who would never, never have been cast from an audition.

So good for you, Alan, getting that lucky break from the Phone Game!

And take all their money on Monday!!!

I'm wondering if he plays NTN the way he answers so quickly.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

supportivemom

#9 Post by supportivemom » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 am

I was there to see this! Meredith was NOT pleased with him. The editing did not really show the true vibe from her. Any of the other 8 carryovers would have told you "two days in the green room with him was VERY difficult"

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:04 am

supportivemom wrote:I was there to see this! Meredith was NOT pleased with him. The editing did not really show the true vibe from her. Any of the other 8 carryovers would have told you "two days in the green room with him was VERY difficult"
In the other thread about him, the upcoming contestant thread, I said it seemed as if the audience was going crazy.

Was it or was it sound editing?

We also picked up on the Meredith vibe. We thought we were projecting our feelings -- initial enjoyment moving to annoyance. Evidently not.

goongas

#11 Post by goongas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:34 am

I was there to see this! Meredith was NOT pleased with him. The editing did not really show the true vibe from her. Any of the other 8 carryovers would have told you "two days in the green room with him was VERY difficult"
And if this is true, TPTB won't be in a hurry to pick hard core trivia type people in the future.

Brit Canuck

#12 Post by Brit Canuck » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:44 am

supportivemom wrote:I was there to see this! Meredith was NOT pleased with him...
As obnoxious as this guy is, I can't say I blame him.

Dear Meredith,
Love the show, love what you do (even though there are times when I think you and Regee are becoming more and more like Chris Tarrant), but if you're reading this, I've said it before, I'll say it again - start the clock after reading the four possible answers.
It's worked very well for the Aussie version, and it will work out well for the US version. Trust me - this guy and others like him - and at this rate, with still no new $1M winner in seven years, there will be others like him - will never bother you again if you implement that one simple new rule.
This will also make it a lot easier for your guest hosts a few months from now during your vacation in Vancouver.
Love and Kisses, Brit. :wink:

Brit Canuck

#13 Post by Brit Canuck » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 am

goongas wrote:
And if this is true, TPTB won't be in a hurry to pick hard core trivia type people in the future.
There goes SydnieBAM's shot at a third (legit*) winner...

* - not counting tournaments offering a guaranteed $1M.

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:20 pm

hanzz wrote: I can't but the think that Meredith looked ever so slightly irked at first, only to get used to it. We'll see how this plays out.
Meredith was not "ever so slightly irked at first." She was bordering on scared, at least subconsciously. Look at her body posture. She is poised to flee the chair at the slightest move by this guy. She did change her posture some after the first break.

So he isn't the stereotypical Trekker, afraid of girls and living in his Mom's basement. ;)

I am thankful that Bob attached the video. His wife was just as oddly intense as him. I hope that the "I AM GOING TO WIN A MILLION DOLLARS TODAY" thing was just an act. You can see glimpses that he is normal, nice guy in some of the banter. (Was anyone here at this taping. It is odd that they talked so little to the wife. It looked like she scared Meredith off, as well.)

I think that the answering before she finished reading the answers would have been less jarring if he actually smiled while doing it. (Additionally, after watching Ken Basin, I now firmly believe that interrupting Meredith every time, in order to bank maybe another minute, will not help in any way. You either know it or don't know it (or maybe can logic it out in a minute or two). After that point, it does not matter.)

I do think that Carver might replace that other contestant in Meredith's mind. The one that she kept asking, "I get the feeling that you don't like me".

Appa23

#15 Post by Appa23 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:24 pm

goongas wrote:
Wow, there is an indictment of all hard-core trivia type people.

None of them have a pleasant personality? All of them appear to lack basic social skills?

Thousandaire

#16 Post by Thousandaire » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I wonder if Meredith being scared/annoyed is just an act. He's following the rules so she has no justification to be annoyed on that score. And if banked time is used to break ties it's a good strategy, although I was secretly hoping it would backfire on him.

And why are the top eight listed in reverse order of their times?

I'm guessing at this rate 25,000 or even 16,000 will be enough to get in the top ten. Does anyone have statistics from last season?

Jeemie

#17 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Appa23 wrote:
goongas wrote:

None of them have a pleasant personality? All of them appear to lack basic social skills?
I don't think Goongas is making any implications regarding hard-core trivia people, but is instead assuming that TPTB will make such an assumption when looking at future contestants.

I said it in the other thread too...there are many ways to interrupt Meredith without being as graceless as this guy appears to be.

And I could see where he'd be difficult in the green room, given the story also showed he had a disdain for the other contestants that have graced the Syndie hot seat.

gsabc

#18 Post by gsabc » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Would have had a major crash and burn at $8K if I was going for speed and didn't stop to think. Initial thoughts went "horse ... Wrangler". TDC had a horrific chance to rear up and bite me on this one. Glad this wasn't one of my Qs.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 pm

gsabc wrote:Would have had a major crash and burn at $8K if I was going for speed and didn't stop to think. Initial thoughts went "horse ... Wrangler". TDC had a horrific chance to rear up and bite me on this one. Glad this wasn't one of my Qs.
I was in the same boat on this one.

I actually would have likely ATA'ed on it, since I was only about 60% sure of the correct answer.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:12 pm

I remember this guy from rehearsal/orientation. He was the same way then.

He did not make a good first impression. And that's all I have to say about that.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

supportivemom

#21 Post by supportivemom » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:51 pm

I am not trying to be rude, but I will say "social skills" and Alan do not belong in the same sentence. His wife was as I will put it "interesting". I sat by her for Ken's taping and spent most of taping day close to her. Certainly two people who were blessed to have found each other.

goongas

#22 Post by goongas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I didn't mean to claim all hard-core trivia type people would behave like this. But as Jeemie said, that may be the impression the staff may leave with. They don't seem to like to cast hard-core trivia type people too often as it is, I just don't want them to have another excuse. There have been some great hard-core trivia type people both on primetime and syndie BAM, and hopefully TPTB remember them.

I tend to agree with silvercamaro on how he played even though he was playing optimally under their rules. If I wanted to play like that, I would have apologized to Meredith in advance either on the air or during a break that I was going to interrupt her, so she would not be so taken aback, and explained why I was doing it. I am sure she does not read the official rules as closely as the contestants do, and am guessing she did not realize why he was interrupting her.

Jeemie

#23 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 pm

goongas wrote:If I wanted to play like that, I would have apologized to Meredith in advance either on the air or during a break that I was going to interrupt her, so she would not be so taken aback, and explained why I was doing it. I am sure she does not read the official rules as closely as the contestants do, and am guessing she did not realize why he was interrupting her.
This is exactly how I was planning to do it should I get on and decide to play for speed on the obvious questions.

The sheepish "I hate to be a pain, but..." attitude works a lot better than the "I'm a Klingon and I will take what's mine" attitude.

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:13 pm

gsabc wrote:Would have had a major crash and burn at $8K if I was going for speed and didn't stop to think. Initial thoughts went "horse ... Wrangler". TDC had a horrific chance to rear up and bite me on this one. Glad this wasn't one of my Qs.
I'm sure that was the intent of the writers.

I knew this one cold as my "overnight" bag happens to be by Jordache.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#25 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:15 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Alan: "I'm gonna win a million dollars on my birthday."

Meredith: "What did you say?"

(A little more slowly)

Alan: "I'm going to win a million dollars on my birthday."
He's got the Jeff Gross-style mantra going. Very nice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Alan: "I'm going to win a million dollars on my birthday." (Meredith interjects, "Okay!" and gives an exaggerated flinch.) Alan continues in a tone that implies the answer had better be no: "Do you have a problem with that?"
I like this guy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100 * Shake Shake Shake
According to Emily Post, at the movies you should turn which of these items to "vibrate"?
A: Laptop computer B: Cell phone
C: Digital camera D: Significant other

He answers immediately, only allowing Meredith to speak choice A before the answer is locked in.
I really like this guy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2,000 * WWII
The site of an infamous World War II battle, Okinawa is a prefecture governed by what nation?
A: Japan B: South Korea
C: The Philippines D: Vietnam

He answers immediately once again.

Meredith: "Now you're gettin' on my nerves."
Have I mentioned yet how much I like this guy?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith: "You're so generous, you are so generous! We're not gonna have any money after you get done."

Alan (deadpan): "That really isn't my problem." (Deadpan breaks -- he chuckles a bit.)
One of the best contestants EVER.

Nihil obstat® so far.