Transcript 09/07/09 Will Capp

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/07/09 Will Capp

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Will Capp
Tampa, FL
Navy veteran

Meredith tells us about the Tournament of Ten and that the show is guaranteeing a million dollar winner. The tournament will be in November and have the ten biggest winners from today’s show up to the tournament.

Topic Tree:

Animal Lovers
Can I Quote You?
Flora
Aisle Four
Doing Time
In a Big Country
British Royals
Musical Outfits
Chinese Food
Gone Fishin’
Yay Team!
When Journalists Attack
Easy Test
Take My Wife!
Trick or Treat

Meredith introduces today’s ATE, John Carpenter, the first million dollar winner of the U.S. version of WWTBAM.

$100 What spooky Halloween character is the subject of the 2002 children’s book “Say Boo!”?
A. Sam the dog
B. Ben the ghost
C. Jimmy the piglet
D. Simon the Cowell
Spoiler
B. Ben the ghost (6)
$200 Which of the following best approximates the sound of a “rimshot,” the musical effect often used to emphasize the punchline of a joke?
A. Ba-dum-bum
B. Whoop-de-doo
C. Tweedle-dee-dee
D. Shoobie-doo-wa
Spoiler
A. Ba-dum-bum (6)
$300 In a common sobriety test, a police officer asks you to touch what part of your body with your finger?
A. Ear
B. Nose
C. Wrist
D. Knee
Spoiler
B. Nose (10)
$500 At a news conference in December 2008, George W. Bush duck twice when an Iraqi journalist threw what items at his head?
A. Gloves
B. Earrings
C. Shoes
D. Cufflinks
Spoiler
C. Shoes (7)
$1K In the 1960’s, what city’s NFL team had a cheerleading squad known as the Steelerettes?
A. Oakland
B. Green Bay
C. Pittsburgh
D. Miami
Spoiler
C. Pittsburgh (11)
commercial break

$2K What Roman god is commonly depicted in art carrying a type of fisherman’s spear called a trident?
A. Neptune
B. Apollo
C. Mars
D. Vulcan
Spoiler
A. Neptune (25)
$4K The name for a food item popular in China, “bok choy” literally means what?
A. Red fruit
B. Black bread
C. White vegetable
D. Orange spice

ATA (21)

2% A. Red fruit
7% B. Black bread
82% C. White vegetable
9% D. Orange spice

Spoiler
C. White vegetable (19)
$8K Silver-studded outfits and wide-brimmed hats are commonly worn by what type of musical groups?
A. Brass bands
B. Mariachi bands
C. Jug bands
D. Reggae bands
Spoiler
B. Mariachi bands ( 18 )
$16K England’s Prince Harry made his first-ever vist to the U.S. in 2009 to participate in what charity event?
A. Art auction
B. Ballet recital
C. Yacht christening
D. Polo match

PAF (6)

Will’s PAF team:

John from North Port, FL – a friend
Trish from Odessa, FL – Will’s mom
Danielle from Tampa, FL – Will’s friend’s wife

PAF – John

John says he doesn’t know as time runs out.

ATE (1)

John says he’s not sure. He thinks a polo match would be a very British Royalty kind of thing to do. At best he is only 61% sure.

DD (1)

Will’s first choice is correct.

Spoiler
D. Polo match (1)
commercial break

$25K By area, what is the largest country located entirely within the continent of Europe?
A. Germany
B. Ukraine
C. Sweden
D. Poland
Spoiler
B. Ukraine (3)
$50K In the U.S. where the inmate population is the largest in the world, roughly what fraction of adults is currently incarcerated?
A. 1 in 100
B. 1 in 600
C. 1 in 6,000
D. 1 in 10,000
Spoiler
A. 1 in 100 (6)
commercial break

Meredith points out that Will is out of lifelines. She then mentions that the show’s first woman million-dollar winner, Nancy Christy (hermillion), was out of lifelines after the $16K question.
She then tells us that Will had supper last night with Nancy Christy.

$100K What popular women’s magazine began in the 1930s as a menu leaflet handed out at A&P supermarkets?
A. Redbook
B. Good Housekeeping
C. Women’s Day
D. Ladies’ Home Journal

With one second remaining, Will makes “Good Housekeeping” his final answer.
Will leaves with $25K.

Spoiler
C. Women’s Day (1)

horn
A Tournament of Ten graphic is displayed showing Will in the number one spot with $25K and 2:39 of banked time.

Answers:
$100 B. Ben the ghost
$200 A. Ba-dum-bum
$300 B. Nose
$500 C. Shoes
$1K C. Pittsburgh
$2K A. Neptune
$4K C. White vegetable
$8K B. Mariachi bands
$16K D. Polo match
$25K B. Ukraine
$50K A. 1 in 100
$100K C. Women’s Day

Kazoo65

Re: Transcript 09/07/09 Will Capp

#2 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:15 pm

I'd ATA like he did on the Chinese food question-no idea.

$25K-either PaF or ATE.

$50K-whichever of the two above I didn't use last time.

$100K-Double Dip between A and C. I know that both Ladies' Home Journal and Good Housekeeping are really old-they date back to early in the 20th century.
I'm just a game show nerd.

hanzz

#3 Post by hanzz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Anyone want to post a pic of Will? I'm away at school, and I want to see if I recognize him from the Tampa auditions.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

heelsrule1988

#4 Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:38 pm

I know there was a lot of uproar about inviting the nine unlucky FF contestants from the finale last month into the Hot Seat on the syndicated version, but hey... so far, so good. This guy was awesome. He didn't make a super impressive run or anything, but we need people that are willing to go for it like he did. A very nice way to start the new season.

I've got to admit, though... it was painful to hear Meredith talk about the Tournament of Ten at the beginning of the show. I felt like I was watching primetime Deal announce another ridiculous ploy to manufacture a million-dollar win. It's just so unlike Millionaire.

hanzz

#5 Post by hanzz » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:52 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:I know there was a lot of uproar about inviting the nine unlucky FF contestants from the finale last month into the Hot Seat on the syndicated version, but hey... so far, so good. This guy was awesome. He didn't make a super impressive run or anything, but we need people that are willing to go for it like he did. A very nice way to start the new season.

I've got to admit, though... it was painful to hear Meredith talk about the Tournament of Ten at the beginning of the show. I felt like I was watching primetime Deal announce another ridiculous ploy to manufacture a million-dollar win. It's just so unlike Millionaire.
Ohh, that's right, it's the 9 the people from the last show. OK, no screencap necessary, then!
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:13 pm

hanzz wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I know there was a lot of uproar about inviting the nine unlucky FF contestants from the finale last month into the Hot Seat on the syndicated version, but hey... so far, so good. This guy was awesome. He didn't make a super impressive run or anything, but we need people that are willing to go for it like he did. A very nice way to start the new season.

Ohh, that's right, it's the 9 the people from the last show. OK, no screencap necessary, then!
But we can continue the "How did they qualify?" game for these first nine contestants, though.

I'd guess that Will was from the Phone Game.

themanwho

#7 Post by themanwho » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:But we can continue the "How did they qualify?" game for these first nine contestants, though.

I'd guess that Will was from the Phone Game.
http://www.usforacle.com/the-millionair ... .1820165#5

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm

So I guessed wrong! :wink:

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:49 pm

$25K: I could easily eliminate Germany and Poland, as they are definitely smaller than the Ukraine. Sweden is tricky. I would take the Double Dip and make Ukraine my answer.

$100K: No clue on this one. PAF.

takinover

#10 Post by takinover » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Are they going to put people with $1K up on the leader board over the next few shows until they get bumped?

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm

takinover wrote:Are they going to put people with $1K up on the leader board over the next few shows until they get bumped?
Hey, they'll be in the Top Ten until that happens, right?

themanwho

#12 Post by themanwho » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:So I guessed wrong! :wink:
I would have guessed phone, too, if only for his agressive style of play.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

Winnamill

#13 Post by Winnamill » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:11 pm

Does anyone know what they are going to do in the event of ties? I would imagine quite a few $50K people would be eligible for the Top 10, if not a lot of higher $$$ winners happen.

One year ago I was running around NYC waiting for the BIG DAY on 9/9/08.

takinover

#14 Post by takinover » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Winnamill wrote:Does anyone know what they are going to do in the event of ties? I would imagine quite a few $50K people would be eligible for the Top 10, if not a lot of higher $$$ winners happen.

I think time banked will be the tiebreaker. If there is still a tie after that then I don't know.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:35 pm

takinover wrote:
Winnamill wrote:Does anyone know what they are going to do in the event of ties? I would imagine quite a few $50K people would be eligible for the Top 10, if not a lot of higher $$$ winners happen.

I think time banked will be the tiebreaker. If there is still a tie after that then I don't know.
They start by looking at time banked on questions that contributed to your winnings. In other words, for someone like Will, he doesn't get credit for his time banked on the $50,000 or $100,000 questions.

If there's still a tie, they look at time banked on a question-by-question basis, I think with the most expensive first. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#16 Post by ontellen » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Damn, damn & damn - I have searched the over 300 channels we get and NO MILLIONAIRE!

We still get bullshit like Springer, Steve Wilkos and Tyra but no Millionaire. This totally sucks!

Brit Canuck

#17 Post by Brit Canuck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:18 am

ontellen, I know exactly what you mean. Seems no channel in my area aired this today, so I wasn't even sure there was an episode today. It was either PGA Golf, the Jerry Lewis telethon, or in the case of two other channels, dropped altogether. Seems to me that when you start to follow a show you really like, it either gets moved around or cancelled (sometimes both).

Thanks for transcripting this episode.

themanwho

#18 Post by themanwho » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:33 am

Brit Canuck wrote:ontellen, I know exactly what you mean. Seems no channel in my area aired this today, so I wasn't even sure there was an episode today. It was either PGA Golf, the Jerry Lewis telethon, or in the case of two other channels, dropped altogether. Seems to me that when you start to follow a show you really like, it either gets moved around or cancelled (sometimes both).

Thanks for transcripting this episode.
It didn't air in Sioux Falls either, so I echo these thanks.

-M

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:49 am

$4K- hope 30 seconds is enough time for me to decide to go with my gut

ATA on $16K and hope for the best.

DD on $50K (I had it down to 1:100 and 1:600).

PAF on $100K.

Save ATE John C. for the high-level questions.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am

rgcviper

Reply to: Will Capp

#21 Post by rgcviper » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:29 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:I felt like I was watching primetime Deal announce another ridiculous ploy to manufacture a million-dollar win. It's just so unlike Millionaire.
My thoughts exactly. People used to be able to win it all playing by the regular rules (waaay back in 2003) (!), but now the show is creating a bogus tournament to "give" someone the million, rather than them truly winning it. I really don't mean to sound harsh or negative, but that's how I honestly feel.

A question about the Tournament of Ten: Let's say two people win $25K. The first misses at $50K, meaning he loses no previous winnings. However, the second misses at $250K, meaning he loses $75K of his previous winnings. Does the player who missed at $250K get a higher seed than the one who missed at $50K? It seems like this should be the case, based on the amount of money won at one point, but I haven't seen any mention of this in the rules or on the Bored.

Thanks.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Reply to: Will Capp

#22 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:33 pm

rgcviper wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I felt like I was watching primetime Deal announce another ridiculous ploy to manufacture a million-dollar win. It's just so unlike Millionaire.
My thoughts exactly. People used to be able to win it all playing by the regular rules (waaay back in 2003) (!), but now the show is creating a bogus tournament to "give" someone the million, rather than them truly winning it. I really don't mean to sound harsh or negative, but that's how I honestly feel.

A question about the Tournament of Ten: Let's say two people win $25K. The first misses at $50K, meaning he loses no previous winnings. However, the second misses at $250K, meaning he loses $75K of his previous winnings. Does the player who missed at $250K get a higher seed than the one who missed at $50K? It seems like this should be the case, based on the amount of money won at one point, but I haven't seen any mention of this in the rules or on the Bored.

Thanks.
If I've read the rules correctly, ties for seeding will be broken in this situation by whoever had more banked time remaining after answering the $25,000 question. This tie-break is a significant disincentive for taking risks in the upper tier. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#23 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 pm

$200: Meredith mis-accented it, which, this being a drum lick after all, was annoying. But the contestant (& I) got it.

16K: I guessed polo too, for the same "so British" reasons as Carpenter. But I'd have ATAed without that comment. And burned more lifelines if the ATA answer came up uncertain.

25K: My family is also descended from Glitzianers on one side (Litvaks on the other; that's "the area once controlled by Lithuania" to the rest of you) & I didn't just find this out, either. Still, my heart warmed for this guy, for whatever reason, after that comment he made.

I have not looked up a map of Ukraine recently. I was tossing it between Poland & Germany. I'd have ATE'd, then, if needed, PAFed. I hope not doubled dipped too, 'cause both my choices were wrong.

50K: Pretty sure I knew this based on reading. Have also read that alarming "1 in 9" or "1 in 10" stat for Black males, which is throwing me off, but I'm pretty sure the general count is "1 in 100". However I'd have burned my double dip here, to be sure.

100K: Without coming up with the exact "earlier" dates, I knew Redbook & LHJ were both earlier. I would have really like to unburn that double dip here. But if I still have PAF after the 25K Q, I'd use it here.

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am

Two more articles about Will's run:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2009/09 ... 25000.html

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/08 ... -breaking/
Since Capp was the very first contestant of the new season, he placed first on the Leader Board for the Tournament of Ten at the end of his episode.
Yeah, that was kinda inevitable, wasn't it? :wink:

Jeemie

Re: Reply to: Will Capp

#25 Post by Jeemie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 am

Bob78164 wrote:This tie-break is a significant disincentive for taking risks in the upper tier. --Bob
Someone forgot to tell Will that!
1979 City of Champions 2009