PT-BAM Transcript: Ken Basin (Fresca) (8/23/09)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

PT-BAM Transcript: Ken Basin (Fresca) (8/23/09)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Ring of Fire ™

Ken Basin, Los Angeles, CA
Karen Geddeis, Elmhurst, IL
Brian Peterkin, Brooklyn, NY
Russell Carmon, Bryan, TX
Kazia MacLeod, San Diego, CA
Melissa Brown, Syracuse, NY
Alan Carver, Federal Way, WA
Will Capp, Tampa, FL
London Pfahler, Upland, CA
Matt Sittel, Bellvue, NE

FF Question: Put these US states in order of their total population, starting with the smallest.

A- Wyoming B- Delaware
C- Pennsylvania D- North Carolina
Spoiler
ABDC
And the winner is:

Ken Basin (Fresca)- 3.71 s
Brian Peterkin
Kazia MacLeod- 7.20 s
Alan Carver- 6.55 s
London Pfahler
Matt Sittel- 5.34 s
Will Capp
Melissa Brown
Russell Carmon
Karen Geddeis

Ken is an entertainment lawyer from Los Angeles. Regis says he could use one, and Ken offers him his card. Ken is 24, and has been a lawyer less than one year.

Categories:

Bottoms Up!
Making Headlines
In the Middle
Listen Carefully
He’s a Keeper
Spell it Out
A Talented Life
Grandmas
From the Swahili
Phrase Origins
UPS
Award Shows
It’s Elemental
In the Shower
Selling It

$100 (Selling It): In a straightforward 2009 ad campaign, Michelob used the slogan “Crafting a Better” what?

A. Coffee B. Soda
C. Beer D. Double chin
Spoiler
C. Beer (9)
$200 (In the Shower): Hair products known as “2-in-1s” are typically a combination of shampoo and what?

A. Toothpaste B. Conditioner
C. Shaving cream D. Deodorant
Spoiler
B. Conditioner (7)
$300 (It’s Elemental): On the periodic table, what is the only element that is named after a U.S.. state?

A. Europium B. Neptunium
C. Californium D. Einsteinium
Spoiler
C. Californium(7)
Regis: “You’re cruising, Ken, you’re cruising!” Ken” “Hey, there’s a lot of people here who want to play”. Little did they know…

$500 (Award Shows): In 2009, what entertainment awards show announced that it was expanding its pool of “Best Picture” nominees from five films to ten?

A. Tonys B. Emmys
C. Grammys D. Oscars
Spoiler
D. Oscars (11)
$1,000 (UPS): To maintain its vast fleet of delivery vehicles, each year UPS uses thousands of gallons of what color paint?

A. Brown B. Blue
C. Red D. Green

Ken: “Please alert Mt. Nye he’ll be needed.”
Spoiler
A. Brown (9)
Commercial Break

Ken graduated high school at 16, then straight to USC, and then Harvard Law. Ken’s girlfriend, Pam Mueller (of J! fame, and BB pamiam). They met at law school. Pam says Ken has been on 6 continents, and is shooting for Antarctica (Ken adds- before he’s 25).

$2,000 (Phrase Origins): Which of these expressions comes from golf and not baseball?

A. Right off the bat B. Par for the course
C. Step up to the plate D. Out of left field
Spoiler
B. Par for the course (22)

$4,000 (From the Swahili): “What popular game’s name is derived from a Swahili word meaning “to build”?

A. Scrabble B. Jenga
C. Boggle D. Dominoes
Spoiler
B. Jenga (20)
$8,000 (Grandmas): What 2009 big screen comedy features Betty White as a wacky grandmother?

A. I Love You, Man B. The Proposal
C. Paul Blart, Mall Cop D. The Hangover
Spoiler
B. The Proposal (21)
$16,000 (A Talented Life): Reflecting on a career that brought him worldwide fame, Garry Kasparov penned a 2007 book titled “How Life Imitates” what?

A. Cooking B. Tennis
C. Chess D. Fashion

Ken comments his Russian parents would be very upset if he missed this.
Spoiler
C. Chess (20)
Regis asks if Ken was born in the Soviet Union. He says he was born in the US- his parents are “American Dreamer” types

$25,000 (Spell It Out): “Which of these historical names can be spelled out by writing three U.S. state abbreviations in a row?

A. STALIN B. CAESAR
C. GANDHI D. DARWIN
Spoiler
C. GANDHI (18)
Commercial Break

Ken’s parents came from the USSR in 1982, and worked their way up from nothing. Ken’s love of travel comes from his parents, and would like to treat them from a trip to Rome, where they lived while waiting for a US Visa.

Ken and Pam were brought together by a mutual friend, who commented they were both on Jeopardy! Pam did “much better” on Jeopardy! than Ken. Regis tells Pam to “drop him”.

$50,000 (He’s a Keeper): “Which member of the Obama Cabinet held the same job in George W. Bush’s administration?

A. Robert Gates B. Ken Salazar
C. Timothy Geithner D. Steven Chu
Spoiler
A. Robert Gates (35)

$100,000 (Listen Carefully): In the 1984 movie “Gremlins,” which of the following is not one of the three rules for taking care of the creature Mogwai?

A. Don’t get him wet B. Keep him out of bright light
C. Never feed him after midnight D. Don’t let him sleep too much

At 26 seconds, Ken decides to use his Double Dip Lifeline.

Ken’s first guess is
Spoiler
D. Don’t let him sleep too much

Spoiler
D. Don’t let him sleep too much
$250,000 (In the Middle): If you want to take a vacation to the “Geographic Center of North America,” you should pack up your car and drive to what U.S. state?

Ken says: “If you want to win the million, you have to save your lifelines.”

A. North Dakota B. Texas
C. Colorado D. Wyoming
Spoiler
A. North Dakota (25)
Commercial Break

Nancy Christy (hermillion) is introduced. Her advice for Ken: “you know more than you think you do. Trust yourself”.

$500,000 (Making Headlines): What film actress’s death was reported on the front page of the debut issue of USA Today?

A. Audrey Hepburn B. Marlene Dietrich
C. Grace Kelly D. Greta Garbo

At 34 seconds, Ken decides to use his PAF lifeline.

Ken’s PAFs are a who’s who of Jeopardy! champions- Jerome Vered (jyv’92), Alan Bailey, and Dan Pawson. Ken chooses Jerome.

Regis: He needs you help, Jerome! Are you ready? Jerome: Sure. Why don’t you help him, Regis…you’re right there!”

Jerome eliminates Dietrich and Garbo right away, and tells Ken it’s
Spoiler
Grace Kelly
, with a 35% level of certainty (we later find out that Jerome’s “high bar” for certainty was going to be 50%- meaning “I’m certain, but I don’t want to be blamed”).

At 26 seconds, Ken uses his ATE lifeline.

Bill Nye thinks it’s
Spoiler
Audrey Hepburn
. Ken asks Bill when he thinks USA Today debuted, and Bill clowns around, placing it “after the disco era, during the time of New Wave”- farthest back he’d go is 1978, but more like mid-1980s.

The ATE call was about 5 minutes of TV time, about 20-25 minutes of real time. During that time, Ken decides to go with Jerome and disregard Bill Nye, reasoning that Grace Kelly’s death (car accident) was more newsworthy. “C- final answer, and God, I hope that’s right!”
Spoiler
C. Grace Kelly (5)
as Bill Nye bows to Ken.

Commercial Break

Ken won one college tourney J! game and left with $5,000. Regis says “Peanuts!” Ken says “Right now, between you and Alex Trebek, I’ll take you every time”.

Ken has 3:54 of banked time, plus the 45 seconds the question has itself, for a total of 4:39. Regis thinks it’s the first time an ATA lifeline has remained for a million dollar question (actually, it’s been there for quite a few). Regis digs at the audience, telling Ken to use them “only if you have to!”

$1,000,000 (Bottoms Up!): “For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled “coffee,” “tea,” “Coke” and what?

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W

Ken: “What would you put on your button?” Regis: “On my button? Some warm milk!”

At 3:36, Ken decides to use his ATA lifeline (“notwithstanding your [Regis’] lack of confidence in them”)

ATA Results:
Spoiler
A- 15%, B- 12%, C- 40%, D- 33%

Ken says his instinct was Yoo-Hoo.

Ken wonders if he’ll regret losing $475,000 if he’s wrong, or $500,000 if he’s right and walks. Talks how the risk averse go to law school, and the risk lovers go to business school. “Maybe I should have gone to business school.”

At 1:12, Ken says C (“give me the million”), and goes home with $25,000. The crowd gives him a standing ovation.

Spoiler
A. Fresca
Commercial Break

NellyLunatic1980

Re: PT-BAM Transcript: Ken Basin (Fresca) (8/23/09)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 am

$8K: No clue on this one. ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000 (In the Middle): If you want to take a vacation to the “Geographic Center of North America,” you should pack up your car and drive to what U.S. state?

A. North Dakota B. Texas
C. Colorado D. Wyoming
Well, I know that the geographic center of the coterminous United States is in Kansas, but determining the geographic center of all of North America is more of a challenge. I had to try to visualize the map of North America in less than 45 seconds. I had to try to determine things such as how far west Alaska goes, how far north and east Canada goes, and how far south you can go through Latin America for it to still be considered North America. In my mind, I saw the geographic center shift north-northwest from Kansas. That eliminated Texas and Colorado. I couldn't visualize the exact location of the geographic center, but I did have it in the area of northeastern Wyoming and southwestern North Dakota. Therefore, I would've used Double Dip and picked D and A.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500,000 (Making Headlines): What film actress’s death was reported on the front page of the debut issue of USA Today?

As I mentioned before, I knew that USA Today debuted in the early 1980s and I knew that Hepburn, Dietrich, and Garbo all died in the 1990s. So this was an easy $500K question for me. And it takes me to the MDQ with two lifelines.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000,000 (Bottoms Up!): “For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled “coffee,” “tea,” “Coke” and what?

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W
First, I do a little banter and acting. Then, I call on Bill Nye. Then, I call my designated Googler (possibly Bob-o'-numbers). I'd shorten the question to something like "What was LBJ's favorite beverage?" to make it easier to Google. After a little more acting, I would've locked in whatever my PAF said.

kusch

#3 Post by kusch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:28 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$8K: No clue on this one. ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000 (In the Middle): If you want to take a vacation to the “Geographic Center of North America,” you should pack up your car and drive to what U.S. state?

A. North Dakota B. Texas
C. Colorado D. Wyoming
Well, I know that the geographic center of the coterminous United States is in Kansas, but determining the geographic center of all of North America is more of a challenge. I had to try to visualize the map of North America in less than 45 seconds. I had to try to determine things such as how far west Alaska goes, how far north and east Canada goes, and how far south you can go through Latin America for it to still be considered North America. In my mind, I saw the geographic center shift north-northwest from Kansas. That eliminated Texas and Colorado. I couldn't visualize the exact location of the geographic center, but I did have it in the area of northeastern Wyoming and southwestern North Dakota. Therefore, I would've used Double Dip and picked D and A.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500,000 (Making Headlines): What film actress’s death was reported on the front page of the debut issue of USA Today?

As I mentioned before, I knew that USA Today debuted in the early 1980s and I knew that Hepburn, Dietrich, and Garbo all died in the 1990s. So this was an easy $500K question for me. And it takes me to the MDQ with two lifelines.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1,000,000 (Bottoms Up!): “For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled “coffee,” “tea,” “Coke” and what?

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W
First, I do a little banter and acting. Then, I call on Bill Nye. Then, I call my designated Googler (possibly Bob-o'-numbers). I'd shorten the question to something like "What was LBJ's favorite beverage?" to make it easier to Google. After a little more acting, I would've locked in whatever my PAF said.

Nelly, on the $250,000 question, did you think of me? :D You got to my state but it is not southwestern, more middle-north. I live 56 miles from "Rugby ND" and see the "Geographic Center of North America rock obelisk" everytime I drive to see my daughter in Fargo. It is not that impressive.

http://www.realnd.com/rugbycenterindex.htm

I would like to see Ken's comment on how he arrived at the right answer.

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 am

First of all, I would not have had an issue with this stack until $500,000. I saw enough previews for The Proposal to know Betty White was in it, and Gremlins was a favorite of mine growing up.

On the $500K, my hunch was Grace Kelly, for the reason Ken gave (she died young in a noteworthy way, a car accident), but I could not eliminate Marlene Dietrich (I knew Hepburn and Garbo died in the late 80s-early 90s).

So I would have used the Double Dip.

The $1 million I knew, but, as I have explained elsewhere, I knew by total luck. I don't work for my dad's contractor, and I probably never get exposed to this factoid.

However, all that said, I never see this stack, for the simple reason that while I got the FF relatively fast, there's no way I'm beating Ken's 3.71 seconds on it...IIRC, that was the fastest FF of the entire run.

BTW, does everyone do the FF the way I would do it?

That is, think of the correct order first, and then punch it in?

Or are there some that order and punch at the same time?
1979 City of Champions 2009

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

Jeemie wrote:BTW, does everyone do the FF the way I would do it?

I do it that way, which may explain why I was beaten on every FF on Super Millionaire.

The guy who beat me on the last FF, by just 1.6 seconds, was a college student who, according to his mother, was good at video games. He started punching before he figured out the whole answer. Too bad, because I would have won big bucks if I had got his stack.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:53 am

kusch wrote:Nelly, on the $250,000 question, did you think of me? :D You got to my state but it is not southwestern, more middle-north.
I know that now. I just gave my thoughts and visualizations while the show was on. Alaska's massive size skewed my visualization of the geographic center farther west than the actual location.

Had Montana and/or South Dakota been listed as choices, my lifeline usage would've changed. I would've used Bill Nye here. If he didn't know, then I would've phoned a friend. I would've had my DD on the MDQ, but I would not have used it unless I still had my PAF.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 am

I can't resist...
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:FF Question: Put these US states in order of their total population, starting with the smallest.

A- Wyoming B- Delaware
Spoiler
ABDC
My FF time for a question right in my wheelhouse was 4.5 seconds using the old consoles; no way to know how I'd have done on this, but 3.71 seconds is very fast.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ken is an entertainment lawyer from Los Angeles. Regis says he could use one, and Ken offers him his card. Ken is 24, and has been a lawyer less than one year.
If this was CindyBAM would Ken be a WE®?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ken graduated high school at 16, then straight to USC, and then Harvard Law. Ken’s girlfriend, Pam Mueller (of J! fame, and BB pamiam). They met at law school. Pam says Ken has been on 6 continents, and is shooting for Antarctica (Ken adds- before he’s 25).
That's a nice ambition - I hope he manages to make it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Grandmas): What 2009 big screen comedy features Betty White as a wacky grandmother?

Spoiler
B. The Proposal (21)
Time for my first lifeline - ATA because it's a movie question.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Regis asks if Ken was born in the Soviet Union. He says he was born in the US- his parents are “American Dreamer” types
The Soviet Union was gone before Ken was born, wasn't it?

When this question came up I had a memory of being in Pittsburgh (to attend the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention) in June 1979 and reading an issue of USA Today. That might have skewed my thinking somewhat, although I couldn't be sure when any of these women died. Turns out that the SBC meeting in Pittsburgh was in June 1983, a mere two months after the premiere of USA Today. But it would be time to go with PAF on this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ken’s PAFs are a who’s who of Jeopardy! champions- Jerome Vered (jyv’92), Alan Bailey, and Dan Pawson. Ken chooses Jerome.
I think Dan is an infrequent BB also, under the handle pdano.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Regis: He needs you help, Jerome! Are you ready? Jerome: Sure. Why don’t you help him, Regis…you’re right there!”

Jerome eliminates Dietrich and Garbo right away, and tells Ken it’s
Spoiler
Grace Kelly
, with a 35% level of certainty (we later find out that Jerome’s “high bar” for certainty was going to be 50%- meaning “I’m certain, but I don’t want to be blamed”).
The difficulties (or lack thereof) in Googling this have been discussed in other threads. I would have to hope that my Google PAF was a wizard at using search.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:At 26 seconds, Ken uses his ATE lifeline.

Bill Nye thinks it’s
Spoiler
Audrey Hepburn
. Ken asks Bill when he thinks USA Today debuted, and Bill clowns around, placing it “after the disco era, during the time of New Wave”- farthest back he’d go is 1978, but more like mid-1980s.

The ATE call was about 5 minutes of TV time, about 20-25 minutes of real time. During that time, Ken decides to go with Jerome and disregard Bill Nye, reasoning that Grace Kelly’s death (car accident) was more newsworthy. “C- final answer, and God, I hope that’s right!”[/i].
Spoiler
C. Grace Kelly (5)
If my Google PAF hits it, then it's onward with two lifelines still remaining (ATE and DD).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ken has 3:54 of banked time, plus the 45 seconds the question has itself, for a total of 4:39. Regis thinks it’s the first time an ATA lifeline has remained for a million dollar question (actually, it’s been there for quite a few). Regis digs at the audience, telling Ken to use them “only if you have to!”[/i]

$1,000,000 (Bottoms Up!): “For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled “coffee,” “tea,” “Coke” and what?

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W

Ken: “What would you put on your button?” Regis: “On my button? Some warm milk!”

At 3:36, Ken decides to use his ATA lifeline (“notwithstanding your [Regis’] lack of confidence in them”)

ATA Results:
Spoiler

Ken wonders if he’ll regret losing $475,000 if he’s wrong, or $500,000 if he’s right and walks. Talks how the risk averse go to law school, and the risk lovers go to business school. “Maybe I should have gone to business school.”

At 1:12, Ken says C (“give me the million”), and goes home with $25,000. The crowd gives him a standing ovation.

Spoiler
A. Fresca
So if I'm lucky I have two lifelines remaining. Time to ATE first. Would Bill Nye know this one? There's no way to know, but if he doesn't, or if he can't sell me on the answer, I walk away. Yes, I'm very risk averse.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 am

My last time in the Hot Seat (at Play-It! at WDW) I got in by winning the FF with a 3.4 time. It can be done.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:03 am

Jeemie wrote:However, all that said, I never see this stack, for the simple reason that while I got the FF relatively fast, there's no way I'm beating Ken's 3.71 seconds on it...IIRC, that was the fastest FF of the entire run.
This probably is the best way to look at it. I knew the FF answers quickly, but my reaction time and finger-dexterity would not have been as good as Ken's.

That said, with the exception of the "GANDHI" question and waiting to see what "wrong" answer they put for the Gremlins question, I knew the answers even before they were revealed. (Looking back, the stacks seemed "friendlier' to people in my age bracket, with lots of 1980s-related questions.) So, I could have "banked" maybe 5.5 minutes as I wait for the $500,000, if I decide to interrupt Regis' reading.(However, as the million dollar questions shows, it likely will not matter if you have 2 minutes or 7 minutes for that last question. Either you will know it or not. You might as well increase the entertainment value of the show and banter a bit about the answer. :) )

So, as I knew that Kelly died in the early 1980s and that USA Today started in the early 1980s, as well as Hepburn and Garbo died in the 1990s (while I was still in school), I need to eliminate Dietrich as a possibility. So, I DD with Kelly as my first choice.

So,I now am facing the Big One with the other three LLs. 99% of the time, ATA will be worthless (even if the audience is filled with former contestants), and ATE will not be helpful here unless it is a science question. So, I am left with the question of whether my PAF knows the answer about LBJ's drink preferences or can Google it. If I am using my original group of PAFs, I definitely am walking at $500,000. If I am seeing this question now, having been on the Bored and knowing BBs, then maybe someone like Jeemie or Earendel gets it for me. <g>

I will say that Ken's $1 million question was one of the tougher ones that I can remember.

(I readily will admit that I would never take the risk of answering on a "hunch", as I have a family. For me, the money would have been real. I often wonder if this is the reason why so few of the millionaire winners were married with kids still at home.)
Last edited by Appa23 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 am

Bob Juch wrote:My last time in the Hot Seat (at Play-It! at WDW) I got in by winning the FF with a 3.4 time. It can be done.
Oh- I know it can be done.

I simply doubt my ability to do so!

:mrgreen:

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:52 am

Appa23 wrote:So,I now am facing the Big One with the other three LLs. 99% of the time, ATA will be worthless (even if the audience is filled with former contestants), and ATE will not be helpful here unless it is a science question. So, I am left with the question of whether my PAF knows the answer about LB's drink preferences or can Google it. If I am using my original group of PAFs, I definitely am walking at $500,000. If I am seeing this question now, having been on the Bored and knowing BBs, then maybe someone like Jeemie or Earendel gets it for me. <g>
I think we all know LB's drink preference - it's Pepsi. :lol:

Not me for the million - I had no idea whatsoever.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

rayxtwo

#12 Post by rayxtwo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am

I wish he had the PAF left. I punched in lbj's buttons in Google, and Fresca popped up.

Ray

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 am

rayxtwo wrote:I wish he had the PAF left. I punched in lbj's buttons in Google, and Fresca popped up.

Ray
Yeah, but that's now after people have added that to their web pages.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

rayxtwo

#14 Post by rayxtwo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

That's true. I wonder if you could have done this while the show was going on. I missed the show but I watched in on the internet. Did anybody try it????

Ray

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 am

rayxtwo wrote:That's true. I wonder if you could have done this while the show was going on. I missed the show but I watched in on the Internet. Did anybody try it????

Ray
Not me. I watched it on TiVo later Sunday night as I was playing in the Columbia pub quiz championship final. I knew the answer anyway.

Jeemie

#16 Post by Jeemie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:27 am

rayxtwo wrote:That's true. I wonder if you could have done this while the show was going on. I missed the show but I watched in on the internet. Did anybody try it????

Ray
I did it about 10 minutes after the show ended.

Depends on how fast the Bots work.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#17 Post by frogman042 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 am

I googled while watching the show as it aired and just after the question came up and since I'm in CDT it was airing for the first time (not delayed for the folks on the west coast). Since I didn't know the answer but the result came up in a summary (I can't remember the exact google string but it was something like 'LBJ oval office buttons for drinks' or something like that). It made it nerve racking to watch because I, at that point, had the correct answer and could tell that was not were Ken was going.

Of course, there might have been a lot of googling from the audience after the show taped but before it aired which may have had an influence. But just as a data point - it was googable during the first airing.

vettech

#18 Post by vettech » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

OK, being brutally honest with myself here:

$8K - I would've burned ATA - I realized the answer was right after I heard it, but I honestly don't think I would've come up with it in 30 seconds. Without TDC, I think I could've, but it's there, so deal with it.

$250K - I was leaning toward ND, but WY was distracting me - DD

$500K - I'll admit, I'm probably the only one here that had no idea when USA Today debuted. Time to ATE - once he narrowed down the debut date, I would've realized it was Kelley because I remember being in HS when she died.

$1000K - I'm wishing for my DD right now because I've narrowed it to Fresca and A&W. Time to PAF and hope to hell I get lucky. If my PAF is sure, I'm going for it. If not, I'm walking.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W
It wouldn't have been me. My PAF eligibility was already gone. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Jeemie wrote:However, all that said, I never see this stack, for the simple reason that while I got the FF relatively fast, there's no way I'm beating Ken's 3.71 seconds on it...IIRC, that was the fastest FF of the entire run.

Normally, I think and then punch. But this FF would have been an exception. Playing along at home, I recognized immediately that Wyoming and Delaware had to be smallest. And once you have AB, you pretty much know that the last two have to be DC. I still don't know that I would have beaten Ken's time. But I think I would have recorded a sub-4 second time. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#21 Post by Jeemie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Normally, I think and then punch. But this FF would have been an exception. Playing along at home, I recognized immediately that Wyoming and Delaware had to be smallest. And once you have AB, you pretty much know that the last two have to be DC. I still don't know that I would have beaten Ken's time. But I think I would have recorded a sub-4 second time. --Bob
I time myself at home when I play (still have that faint hope of some day qualifying for some iteration of PT-BAM).

I think I timed myself at 4 seconds or so.

I don't know if I'd be any faster in an actual game. At home, I'm punching at a card I made up to practice.

My reflexes are still pretty good...I play a lot of video games (having a 10- and 14-year old allows you to do that!)

But in game pressure, I don't think I'd beat that time.

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#22 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:15 pm

FF Question: Put these US states in order of their total population, starting with the smallest.

A- Wyoming B- Delaware

Nice to throw Wyoming in there, which I believe has fewer people than New York has coffee shops. At least these aren't gimmes like those FF questions from the quite unmemorable last year of the Regis show which asked you to put these letters in alphabetical order. I just hope the people who missed those questions aren't still allowed out there in the world to possibly annoy me with their stupidity....

And the winner is:

Ken Basin (Fresca)- 3.71 s
Brian Peterkin
Kazia MacLeod- 7.20 s
Alan Carver- 6.55 s
London Pfahler
Matt Sittel- 5.34 s
Will Capp
Melissa Brown
Russell Carmon
Karen Geddeis

Hey, the guy in Seat 9 didn't know it. Why, who'd have ever guessed?

Ken is an entertainment lawyer from Los Angeles. Regis says he could use one, and Ken offers him his card.

Regis doesn't need any kind of advice from a 24 year old kid who just graduated from day care the other day, let alone legal advice. Now the people who COULD use some good advice are all behind the scenes of this show, where they are quite lucky they stay out of my sight and line of fire.....

Ken is 24, and has been a lawyer less than one year.

And Regis has been in the entertainment business since the days of The Colusseum. Maybe he could use a new page though....

$100 (Selling It): In a straightforward 2009 ad campaign, Michelob used the slogan “Crafting a Better” what?

A. Coffee B. Soda
C. Beer D. Double chin

$200 (In the Shower): Hair products known as “2-in-1s” are typically a combination of shampoo and what?

A. Toothpaste B. Conditioner
C. Shaving cream D. Deodorant

$300 (It’s Elemental): On the periodic table, what is the only element that is named after a U.S.. state?

A. Europium B. Neptunium
C. Californium D. Einsteinium

Regis: “You’re cruising, Ken, you’re cruising!” Ken” “Hey, there’s a lot of people here who want to play”. Little did they know…

WTF is Regis doing getting all excited after 3 damn questions!?!? I know its been 5 years, but he's had 10 shows already to get back in the groove. I know it's a red letter day when a contestant on SyndieBAM makes it to $1,000 with any lifelines still intact, but this is supposed to be a Primetime Revival, Regis!!! Act like it, dammit!!!

$500 (Award Shows): In 2009, what entertainment awards show announced that it was expanding its pool of “Best Picture” nominees from five films to ten?

A. Tonys B. Emmys
C. Grammys D. Oscars

$1,000 (UPS): To maintain its vast fleet of delivery vehicles, each year UPS uses thousands of gallons of what color paint?

A. Brown B. Blue
C. Red D. Green

Ken: “Please alert Mt. Nye he’ll be needed.”

Cocky little bastard, aren't you?

This is gonna be fun......

Ken graduated high school at 16, then straight to USC, and then Harvard Law.

I'll bet that's mighty damn impressive there to most people, Ken, but let me tell you a little about MBFFB®. I graduated high school when I was 7, and I graduated a year later than I had planned due to a bad case of pneumonia. I then spent a couple years earing a few minor PhD's before going on to Harvard and earning my degree in Geniusery. I have it hanging on my wall of you'd like to look at it....

Ken’s girlfriend, Pam Mueller (of J! fame, and BB pamiam). They met at law school. Pam says Ken has been on 6 continents, and is shooting for Antarctica (Ken adds- before he’s 25).

How much does it cost to go to Antarctica? Maybe I should look into it, because I'm pretty sure you can't get this show down there, and that's worth a few mornings of -100 degree weather....

$2,000 (Phrase Origins): Which of these expressions comes from golf and not baseball?

A. Right off the bat B. Par for the course
C. Step up to the plate D. Out of left field

I think all golf expressions should be banned, including the damn 19th Hole. I don't care how much you want that post-walk drink, there is no 19th hole. Most of the courses I've played don't even give you your ball back after the 18th Hole....

$4,000 (From the Swahili): “What popular game’s name is derived from a Swahili word meaning “to build”?

A. Scrabble B. Jenga
C. Boggle D. Dominoes

They actually have a handheld computerized version of Jenga. I wish I were making that up. Real Jenga isn't even as much fun as knocking over your little brother's stack of Lincoln Logs....

$8,000 (Grandmas): What 2009 big screen comedy features Betty White as a wacky grandmother?

God bless you Betty White for still being out there and all.... even if it means being in trashy movies like this....

$16,000 (A Talented Life): Reflecting on a career that brought him worldwide fame, Garry Kasparov penned a 2007 book titled “How Life Imitates” what?

A. Cooking B. Tennis
C. Chess D. Fashion

Ken, I don't care if your parents came from Uranus, they should be upset if you missed this. I think even the face on Mars knows that Gary Kasparov played chess....

Regis asks if Ken was born in the Soviet Union. He says he was born in the US- his parents are “American Dreamer” types

Was there even a Soviet Union when this whippersnapper was born? I still remember Prussia.....

$25,000 (Spell It Out): “Which of these historical names can be spelled out by writing three U.S. state abbreviations in a row?

A. STALIN B. CAESAR
C. GANDHI D. DARWIN

Oh dear Lord....

The Primetime days are definitely back!

Ken’s parents came from the USSR in 1982, and worked their way up from nothing. Ken’s love of travel comes from his parents, and would like to treat them from a trip to Rome, where they lived while waiting for a US Visa.

Hey mom and dad! I just won a bunch of money on a game show, and since you love to travel and all, how would you like to go to Rome? Well, yeah I know you lived there before, but wouldn't you like to...... hello? Hello?

Ken and Pam were brought together by a mutual friend, who commented they were both on Jeopardy! Pam did “much better” on Jeopardy! than Ken. Regis tells Pam to “drop him”.

Good ole Reege, always there with the great advice! Don't fret Ken, at least you did better on Jeopardy than Weird Al did......

$50,000 (He’s a Keeper): “Which member of the Obama Cabinet held the same job in George W. Bush’s administration?

A. Robert Gates B. Ken Salazar
C. Timothy Geithner D. Steven Chu

Always nice to keep someone old around to be the scapegoat when things go wrong....

$100,000 (Listen Carefully): In the 1984 movie “Gremlins,” which of the following is not one of the three rules for taking care of the creature Mogwai?

A. Don’t get him wet B. Keep him out of bright light
C. Never feed him after midnight D. Don’t let him sleep too much

Don't forget not to put him in the microwave.....

Have I ever mentioned before that my Spokesman dressed up as Stripe for Halloween in 1984? Yeah, that's why he's the spokesman and I'm the Big, Fat, Fabulous Brain.....

At 26 seconds, Ken decides to use his Double Dip Lifeline.

Ken’s first guess is D. Don’t let him sleep too much

Yeah, I guess this movie is a little too old for you. I guess you never grew up with a fear of those electric chairlifts.....

$250,000 (In the Middle): If you want to take a vacation to the “Geographic Center of North America,” you should pack up your car and drive to what U.S. state?

A. North Dakota B. Texas
C. Colorado D. Wyoming

You are indeed much smarter than I gave you credit for! Of course, I bet Pam would have still had ALL of her lifelines.....

Nancy Christy (hermillion) is introduced. Her advice for Ken: “you know more than you think you do. Trust yourself”.

Such sage advice! Go for it!

$500,000 (Making Headlines): What film actress’s death was reported on the front page of the debut issue of USA Today?

Ken’s PAFs are a who’s who of Jeopardy! champions- Jerome Vered (jyv’92), Alan Bailey, and Dan Pawson. Ken chooses Jerome.

What, no in-laws or bumbling co-workers as PAF's? You'd never cut it on SyndieBAM, son!

Regis: He needs you help, Jerome! Are you ready? Jerome: Sure. Why don’t you help him, Regis…you’re right there!”

Jerome's a funny guy! I guess he isn't aware that Regis would actually like Ken to help him... for about $1500 an hour.....

Jerome eliminates Dietrich and Garbo right away, and tells Ken it’s Grace Kelly, with a 35% level of certainty (we later find out that Jerome’s “high bar” for certainty was going to be 50%- meaning “I’m certain, but I don’t want to be blamed”).

We also later find out that MBFFB® once again knows everything and isn't afraid to tell the world! Or at least the handful of people who read this junkyard on the internet....

At 26 seconds, Ken uses his ATE lifeline.

Bill Nye thinks it’s Audrey Hepburn. Ken asks Bill when he thinks USA Today debuted, and Bill clowns around, placing it “after the disco era, during the time of New Wave”- farthest back he’d go is 1978, but more like mid-1980s.

I'm sure Bill Nye knows exactly when USA Today debuted, considering if he's anything close to the scientist I think he is, he probably locked himself in his laboratory for 30 years. He may have needed something to wrap his tuna sandwiches in though....

The ATE call was about 5 minutes of TV time, about 20-25 minutes of real time. During that time, Ken decides to go with Jerome and disregard Bill Nye, reasoning that Grace Kelly’s death (car accident) was more newsworthy. “C- final answer, and God, I hope that’s right!”.

Do we really need to know how long this discussion went on? I damn near needed to make a potty run just reading that....

as Bill Nye bows to Ken.

You may have won Bill Nye's everlasting devotion, but you have yet to completely win me over. And I wish you the best of luck with that....

Ken won one college tourney J! game and left with $5,000. Regis says “Peanuts!” Ken says “Right now, between you and Alex Trebek, I’ll take you every time”.

I doubt Regis is very good with French pronunciation, nor does he seem to know as much as Alex. Then again, he doesn't have access to Alex's TelePrompter, whose costs keep Jeopardy from ever giving away a million dollars in one day....

Ken has 3:54 of banked time, plus the 45 seconds the question has itself, for a total of 4:39. Regis thinks it’s the first time an ATA lifeline has remained for a million dollar question (actually, it’s been there for quite a few). Regis digs at the audience, telling Ken to use them “only if you have to!”

Yeah, I hear Clem's out there somewhere. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could toss his scrawny ass.....

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W

What, no Pepsi?

ATA Results:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Well, that's actually a better showing than my good buddy Ed got.....

Yeah, LBJ just looked like a Yoo-Hoo kind of person. Actually, I think he was more into rich chocolately Ovaltine....

Maybe you should have just paid attention in school. This was in my history textbook right next to the picture of Fidel Castro on the grassy knoll....

Hey, it's easy to stand up and cheer when it isn't your $475,000 that just got tossed into the closest eco-friendly recycling bin! I'm sure Clem was cheering the loudest because now he can claim he's just as smart as Ken. I've waited a long time for someone to blow it on the Big One before. Lord knows that was never going to happen on SyndieBAM, which probably doesn't even bother to write million dollar questions anymore. Thank you Ken for making my day by pulling off one of the most costly mistakes in television history since Jason Alexander agreed to do "Bob Patterson".....

Now let me introduce you to the handy dandy buttons I have installed in my big, fat, fabulous office.... This one says "You're a friggin' dumbass!", and the other one says.....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:28 pm

A. Cooking B. Tennis
C. Chess D. Fashion

Ken, I don't care if your parents came from Uranus, they should be upset if you missed this. I think even the face on Mars knows that Gary Kasparov played chess....
His parents should be upset anyway since Ken doesn't know the difference between Azerbaijan and Russia.

15QuestionsAway

#24 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:28 pm

I usually don't like participating in these threads, but because Ken played hard and played them all, and because I played the home game during his stack, here goes:

I'm fine through question 7.

On question 8 ($16k), I have no clue. I use ATA and assume the audience knows.

Question 9-11 are no problem either.

On question 12 ($100k), I eliminate A and C immediately. I ponder B and D, and then hear Gizmo saying "bright light, bright light" in my head. I suck it up and answer correctly.

On question 13 ($250k), the right answer pops into my head immediately. None of the other three choices make sense to me, as Canada's size is only going to pull the US lower 48 geographic centre northwards from Kansas/Missouri. I don't hesitate and answer this right away. If the question setters wanted to make this harder, they would have put Manitoba and two other provinces or states closer to North Dakota in the choices.

On question 14, ($500k), I arrive at the correct answer differently from others on this board. I know USA Today debuted in 1982 and I know Princess Grace died in 1982. Those are just pieces of trivia I happen to know. I couldn't tell you accurately when the other three actresses died, but I had a strong feeling they were all much later than Grace Kelly. I'm real happy that Natalie Wood isn't on the list, and I talk myself into answering.

So I have three lifelines left on question 15 ($1M). When I see question 15's answers pop up, I had a faint inkling towards Fresca. Playing the home game, it wasn't strong enough to lock it in, so I wait for Ken to use ask the audience. Since Fresca had such a weak percentage, I went with A&W. Yoo-hoo seemed nearly as implausible to me as V-8. No cost for answering on the home game, so no worries. If walking were a beneficial option in the home game, I walk.

Without ask the audience, I ask the expert, phone a friend (with Google), then only use double dip to answer if I get strong signals from the other two lifelines. My inkling isn't strong enough without some backup, even though I think it's Fresca or A&W.

My take on the stack is that it worked well for me because of my age, and it hit some of my strong knowledge areas. That 24 year old Ken did so well is a testament to his trivia skills.

Also, I answer FFF like Bob. If it's clear what the first choices are, I punch them in first. I was on the show four times in the UK - each show was an hour, so I have lots of FFF experience. All with the old console though - they were the same as here.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

Phil Ken Sebbin

#25 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

A. Fresca B. V8
C. Yoo-hoo D. A&W
It wouldn't have been me. My PAF eligibility was already gone. --Bob

I didn't know there was limited eligibility for PAF. This place makes me more smarterer each day!
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd