Transcript 10/11/07 - Jessica Hunsinger

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/11/07 - Jessica Hunsinger

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:18 pm

Jessica Hunsinger
Charlotte, NC
Nursing student

This is the first time Jessica has left her baby overnight. He's going to be eleven months old, next week.

$100
According to a common optimistic expression, "April showers bring May" what?

A: Blizzards B: Flowers
C: Lightning D: Sinus infections

$200
A popular addition to coffee, half-and-half consists of half cream and half what?

A: Oil B: Brandy
C: Milk D: Soda water

$300
The Ritz-Carlton scored higher than EconoLodge in a 2007 Consumer Reports ranking of the country's best what?

A: Toy stores B: Grocery stores
C: Hotels D: Pharmacies

$500
Which of these common school supplies is a type of orb?

A: Pencil B: Paper clip
C: Protractor D: Globe

$1,000
A fashion trend among lounge lizards, the leisure suit was a popular fad in what decade?

A: 1930s B: 1950s
C: 1970s D: 1990s

Jessica is pretty sure she knows this, but she's spacing out a little bit.

ATA: A: 2% B: 6% C: 90% D: 2%

$2,000
The title of the 2001 movie "Black Hawk Down" refers to what type of military vehicle?

A: Helicopter B: Stealth bomber
C: Aircraft carrier D: Humvee

$4,000
According to the Bible, Moses parted the Red Sea to lead his people out of where?

A: Greece B: Syria
C: Jordan D: Egypt

-- Commercial Break --

Jessica is originally from New York; she moved down to Charlotte a few years ago.

Besides wanting the money for her son's nursery school, Jessica's house has some structural issues. The floor in the living room dips down in front of the fireplace and when she takes a shower she's afraid she's going to fall through the floor.

$8,000
In the "smiley face" emoticon, which of the following symbols denotes a winking eye?

A: Pound sign B: Semicolon
C: Parenthesis D: Ampersand

$16,000
In 2007, Tony Blair stepped down from his decade-long post as Britain's prime minister and the leader of what political party?

A: Conservative party B: Liberal Democrats party
C: Labour party D: Progressive Unionist party

PAF: Jessica calls Pyle (sp?), her cousin's wife.

Pyle: That would be the Labour party.

Jessica: Are you sure?

Pyle: Pretty sure. Can you read me those again?

Jessica: Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Progressive Unionist.

Pyle: Labour.

$25,000
Immortalized in the 1983 Styx hit, the line "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" features a Japanese phrase meaning what?

A: Have a safe journey B: Pleased to meet you
C: Welcome to my home D: Thank you very much

50/50 leaves C & D.

Jessica: Why would they be thanking-- Okay. Ummm, I can pay for my plane ticket with $1,000.

Meredith: Barely.

Jessica: Well. I'm going to say D: Thank you very much, final answer

Audience: [Scattered applause]

Meredith: No, don't do that audience. Really. But now you can applaud.

-- Commercial Break --

Jessica doesn't mind when Meredith teases her; she's nervous already. She really though she might be leaving a minute ago.

Meredith: So why did you take that gamble, then.?

Jessica: I can't come back and try again and if I didn't I'd be kicking myself.

$50,000
In the novel "Gone With the Wind," Scarlett gags on what veggie before famously saying, "I'm never going to be hungry again"?

A: Radish B: Onion
C: Carrot D: Potato

Jessica sees the movie every time it's on and she's read the book.

$100,000
Frisian, widely regarded as the existing language most similar to English, is an official language spoken in a province of what country?

A: Portugal B: Switzerland
C: The Netherlands D: Belgium

Jessica switches the question. It's not Belgium; she thinks it might be Portugal.

STQ $100,000
What pair of words comes from the stage name of a Swiss ice skating duo that was popular in the 1940s?

A: Topsy and Turvy B: Zig and Zag
C: Razzle and Dazzle D: Frick and Frack

Jessica wants to say Zig and Zag, but she really doesn't know and that's too much money to risk. Jessica walks with $50,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$100: B: Flowers
$200: C: Milk
$300: C: Hotels
$500: D: Globe
$1,000: C: 1970s
$2,000: A: Helicopter
$4,000: D: Egypt
$8,000: B: Semicolon
$16,000: C: Labour party
$25,000: D: Thank you very much
$50,000: A: Radish
$100,000: C: The Netherlands
STQ $100,000: D: Frick and Frack

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/11/07 - Jessica Hunsinger

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:37 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jessica Hunsinger
Charlotte, NC
Nursing student

It's Southern Healthcare Students Day!

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:This is the first time Jessica has left her baby overnight. He's going to be eleven months old, next week.
The baby hook, again.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
In the novel "Gone With the Wind," Scarlett gags on what veggie before famously saying, "I'm never going to be hungry again"?

Dang, I'm not sure. I'm sure Phone A Killer Tomato would work here, but I'd probably start with STQ. Maybe the ATA?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Frisian, widely regarded as the existing language most similar to English, is an official language spoken in a province of what country?

Jessica switches the question. It's not Belgium; she thinks it might be Portugal.
Portugal? Does she think that English is close to Portuguese or that Frisian would be totally different from Portuguese?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $100,000
What pair of words comes from the stage name of a Swiss ice skating duo that was popular in the 1940s?

Jessica wants to say Zig and Zag, but she really doesn't know and that's too much money to risk. Jessica walks with $50,000.
Oooh! Not only a chance to sneak in a plug for the Car Talk guys, but there's a logical way to work this out. The other three word pairs are much more commonly used together as one alliterative phrase than as separate words. Plus Frick and Frack sound like very likely Swiss German names...

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 am

$1K: I was torn between 1950s and 1970s. I also needed the audience here.
Jessica is originally from New York; she moved down to Charlotte a few years ago.
So another Where Else?®

$8K: I got a little worried that Jessica might be distracted by the parenthesis choice.

$50K: My PAF is needed here.

$100K: Yeah, smart choice of using STQ. (I would've guessed Switzerland.)

$100K #2: Before the choices ever showed up, I immediately said "Frick and Frack". So show me the $250K question with 50:50 still intact.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:44 am

$50,000

Jessica sees the movie every time it's on and she's read the book.

I was going for "onion", as the other 3 are all quite edible by themselves (well, you have to cook the potato). But I'd STQ here.

$100,000

Say this is my STQ 50K: A dream Q. The sea chantey singing group Kat 'yn Sail (or something like that) will tell you some of the songs they sing are in Frisian. And that Frisian is spoken in Germany too, but in the Netherlands its an official language whereas the Germans are determined to stamp it out in Germany.

If I didn't know this from Kat 'yn Sail, I've read articles about it anyway; there was another language even closer to English, which died out in the 50s or so.

STQ $100,000

Say this is my regular 100K Q; I bet Click & Clack, the Tappit Brothers (AKA Tom & Ray Magliozzi, the Car Talk guys) get their name as a pun on Frick & Frack. But I am not sure. Other than that intuition, I don't know the skating pair. 50/50.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jessica Hunsinger
Charlotte, NC
Nursing student

From a would-be pediatrician to a would-be nurse. I commend both for their choice of vocation.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
According to the Bible, Moses parted the Red Sea to lead his people out of where?

A: Greece B: Syria
C: Jordan D: Egypt

I liked her comment that they talk about this every year at Passover.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jessica is originally from New York; she moved down to Charlotte a few years ago.

She's a former WE®.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000

OK, confession time. I've never read the book and have never been able to force myself to watch the movie, so I'd be without a clue here. Time to ATA, figuring that this is a movie question and the audience is pretty good at these.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000

I wonder if the 50/50 would have left C and D.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $100,000

From the comfort of my recliner I picked the right answer based on the fact that only "Frick" sounds like it might be a Swiss name (from the German-speaking part, I suspect). elwing commented that this would be a hard question to Google, but I disagreed, so I went to the computer and typed in "swiss skating duo" and "Frick and Frack" appeared on the first page. I wouldn't have seen this question, however, since I didn't STQ.

Jessica did the right thing in walking away. As for me, I'd be looking at the $250K question with 50/50, STQ and ATA remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: Oooh! Not only a chance to sneak in a plug for the Car Talk guys, but there's a logical way to work this out. The other three word pairs are much more commonly used together as one alliterative phrase than as separate words. Plus Frick and Frack sound like very likely Swiss German names...
The Car Talk guys are "Click and Clack", so there's no (spark)plug here. :lol:

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:12 am

ghostjmf wrote:Say this is my STQ 50K: A dream Q. The sea chantey singing group Kat 'yn Sail (or something like that) will tell you some of the songs they sing are in Frisian. And that Frisian is spoken in Germany too, but in the Netherlands its an official language whereas the Germans are determined to stamp it out in Germany.
I didn't know that it was an official language in the Netherlands.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:41 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Oooh! Not only a chance to sneak in a plug for the Car Talk guys, but there's a logical way to work this out. The other three word pairs are much more commonly used together as one alliterative phrase than as separate words. Plus Frick and Frack sound like very likely Swiss German names...
The Car Talk guys are "Click and Clack", so there's no (spark)plug here. :lol:

Ummm, yeah. :oops: