Audition Report - $Million Password (Long Post)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
trevor_macfee

Audition Report - $Million Password (Long Post)

#1 Post by trevor_macfee » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 am

I wasn't going to go because I'd already made the trek to NYC on Wednesday to take my daughter to "Little Mermaid" on Broadway, but as Saturday approached I decided if I could get myself up at 4:00 I would take a shot.

I downloaded the application and audition release on Friday and filled them out just in case.

On Saturday at 4:30am I found myself in the car for the 2 hour drive to get a New Jersey Transit train at Princeton Junction. I made the 7:18 train (would've made an earlier one but took a wrong turn), and was at Penn Station by 8:30.

The auditions were at a studio right across the street from the station - on the same block as the Pennsylvania Hotel. So I was there in plenty of time for the 9:00 start.

When I got in line in a lobby-like area off 7th street, they had already started taking people upstairs to the auditions. With the wind and cold on Saturday, it was nice that the line was indoors.

They took groups of 15 up two flights of stairs, then through a metal detector followed by a wand-frisk. Any bags carried were rooted through by security.

I was in the second-to-last group of 15 to go up, so I ended up toward the back of an 80-seat area. There was a big-screen tv at the front showing local news. We were called up to a table up front to show identification - 2 forms, one had to be picture-id. They also made sure we'd signed our applications and releases (they did have blank ones available for those who hadn't downloaded them). I had to sign a new release because I had converted the PDF to word so I could type in my printed name and date - I was told that someone could take out a paragraph or two that way. The pre-filled-out application, however, was ok.

After about 45 minutes in the big room, there was an announcement that we would be doing a "slate." We'd stand in front of a camera and say our name, age, where we were born (she assumed most folks were from NYC), our occupation, and one line about why we would be a memorable contestant. She said what they were looking for most of all was "TV energy." (Marley may feel free to insert customary grumble here.)

It was kind of a strange process - as the row was called we lined up at the end of a long hallway. At the other end was a table where the presumed head AP sat, with a camera manned (personed?) by another AP next to her. The camera was aimed down the hall, so there was no background to stand in front of.

When I got to the front of the line, I was directed to walk half-way down the hall and wait for the person in front to finish before completing the walk. I think I did ok on this part - I figure "sermon energy" is roughly equivilent to "TV energy."

As we finished, we filed into what turned out to be the studio where they film Maury Povich. No paternity tests were given, however.

There was a clipboard with a blank sheet of typing paper and pen on each seat. When all 80 of us were in there, they said that we would take a quiz. After writing our names on top of the paper, we were instructed to number the paper 1-6. Two clues would be given, then we were to write down the "password."

The best description of the "quiz" was given by my wife when I described it to her - "that was a personality test." It was more word-association than anything else, I think. They asked us not to post or e-mail the clues, so I won't (although I can't imagine them using the same 6 every time - that would be much too easy to memorize).

After the quiz, there was the usual lull while they graded the papers. A survey had been taken earlier about how people found out about the auditions - Craig's List was the most popular answer and most of the people seemed to be actors of one kind or another. There was more diversity than in a Millionaire or Jeopardy Audition. In my limited sample of the folks around me, only one other person knew how Password was played, and only one other person had ever tried to get on any kind of a game show - if you can call Amazing Race a game show. He was on and eliminated early, BTW. We were able to ascertain through discussion with reasonable certainty the answers to 5 of the 6 passwords.

After 10 minutes or so, they came back and did the "Thank you everyone, if you didn't pass it doesn't define your life" speech. They said that non-passers information and "slate" would be kept on file in case anything else came up.

Sure.

Then they called the passers. About 15.

I can't tell you what happened next in the audtion, because for me what was next was the Walk of Shame out of the studio. In comparing notes with passers and non-passers, we figure 4/6 was the cut-off. I think I got 3 - I believe one I missed because I used a longer word rather than an obvious one - I forgot the game is "Password," not "Thesaurus."

Anyway, I'm glad I gave it a shot - I'm not out anything except the morning - I was back in Maryland by 3 and had time to go to the Tree Farm for a Christmas tree when I got back.

It was a very organized process, and they were very nice about something that has always been an inconvenience at Millionaire audtions - bathrooms. We were encouraged to make use of the facilities during the down time in the big room, and warned that there were no bathrooms once we left that room. As we left, we were asked if we wanted to "go before we went." That was much appreciated.

The only bit of information from a question is that the show will be filmed in New York City - someone asked if it would be in NY or LA, and the AP said, "We're not sure yet," and left the room. Then she came back and said, "Actually, we are sure. It will be here. I just wish it was in LA."

That's all I've got. I hope that might help someone going in to at least know what to expect from the process.

dimmzy

#2 Post by dimmzy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:09 am

Thanks for the report!

Will they be auditioning in January?

--dimmzy, who'd like an excuse to get to the city

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:11 am

Great report!

Really short test. I am making up that a longer test comes from part two of the audition.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Audition Report - $Million Password (Long Post)

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 am

trevor_macfee wrote: She said what they were looking for most of all was "TV energy." (Marley may feel free to insert customary grumble here.)
Since you asked: <grumble>®
trevor_macfee wrote:Craig's List was the most popular answer and most of the people seemed to be actors of one kind or another.
<grumble>® again. And yet again for only having six questions on the written test. Boy, that's a in-depth examination! :roll:
trevor_macfee wrote:The only bit of information from a question is that the show will be filmed in New York City - someone asked if it would be in NY or LA, and the AP said, "We're not sure yet," and left the room. Then she came back and said, "Actually, we are sure. It will be here. I just wish it was in LA."
Hmmm. I was going to ask if the lead AP looked familiar. Maybe CHJ? That she preferred to tape in LA may indicate she was someone else...or maybe Jen is just eager to get out of NYC this winter! :wink:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 am

Thank you, Trevor. Great report! All of us appreciate the information and your willingness to be a guinea pig for the process.

I hope the tree farm provided the best of all possible Christmas trees!

nitrah55

#6 Post by nitrah55 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks for the info.
I am about 25% sure of this.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:37 am

Excellent report. Sounds like they are pretty well organized for being so early in the process.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

trevor_macfee

Re: Audition Report - $Million Password (Long Post)

#8 Post by trevor_macfee » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:35 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Hmmm. I was going to ask if the lead AP looked familiar. Maybe CHJ? That she preferred to tape in LA may indicate she was someone else...or maybe Jen is just eager to get out of NYC this winter! :wink:
No, not one of the Jens from WWTBAM (one of whom was my AP when I was on). This lead AP was African-American.