PT-WWTBAM Transcript 08/10/09 Gary Cousins

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

PT-WWTBAM Transcript 08/10/09 Gary Cousins

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 am

Gary Cousins
Flint, MI

Gary still has his PAF and ATE.

Regis introduces today’s ATE, George Stephanopoulos.

Topic Tree:

Patently False
Words of the Century
Whale Watching
Kid Lit
Government Rituals
Take a Hike
Here Comes the Judge
Seinfeld
My Other Half
(Art Seen)
(The Oscars)
(Funny Books)
(Dollywood)
(Good Advice)
(You Go, Girl!)

$4K What is Sarah Palin’s husband’s name?
A. Scott
B. Todd
C. Mike
D. Rick
Spoiler
B. Todd (24)
$8K On a memorable episode of “Seinfeld,” Kramer constructs a miniature statue of Jerry from what type of pasta?
A. Fettuccine
B. Fusilli
C. Penne
D. Rigatoni

ATE (17)

Gary: Do you remember this one George?

George: Man, I wished you would’ve asked me about the “Schmoopie” episode. Schmoopie’s my wife!

Regis: George is married to the lady who played “Schmoopie,” Ali Wentworth.

George: I’ll be honest with you. I’d be guessing.

PAF (15)

Gary’s PAF team:

Jeff from Davison, MI
Mike from Davison, MI
Sharyn from Clarkston, MI

PAF – Jeff

Jeff: I’m sorry. I don’t recall that one Gar.

Gary: No guess at all, huh?

Jeff: I can’t help you. I’m sorry.

Gary decides to leave with $4K.

Spoiler
B. Fusilli (4)
Answers:
$4K B. Todd
$8K B. Fusilli

NellyLunatic1980

Re: PT-WWTBAM Transcript 08/10/09 Gary Cousins

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:05 am

Was the "Fusilli Jerry" really that difficult to recall? I said fusilli even before the choices came up. But maybe that's just me.

Nihil obstat®

Jeemie

#3 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 am

Tuned in late, and missed Gary.

Ow, that hurts.

I did the transcripts yesterday, and commented that this stack appeared to shape up according to my strengths.

I am pretty much an expert on all things Seinfeld- that question would have been right up my alley.

Also, a question like this shows that contestants HAVE to have a PAF that's practiced and expert on Google- this question is eminently Googlable. Type in kramer jerry pasta sculpture, and it comes in on the first hit.

Works if you substitute "statue" for "sculpture" too (since "statue" was in the question as written).
Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 City of Champions 2009

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 am

I don't usually remember Seinfeld episodes,but this one is a remarkably easy Google.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:20 am

This contestant is the argument for why TPTB went away from TPG to auditions -- zero on-air personality and he walked with $4k, after using all of his lifelines. People start channel-surfing very quickly with such contestants. (Let me say that I am sure that Gary is a very nice guy in real life.)

The first two days have not caused any reaso nto believe that PTBAM will continue. (I know that the original version, 10 years ago, also started slowly, but the nation has changed over the past ten years. Plus, there already is SyndiBam now in place, to serve the smaller audience that the show now has.)

Maybe the show just needs a BB to make a million dollar run. :)
Last edited by Appa23 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:35 am

A very short article about Gary's run:

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?secti ... id=6958731

colonial

#7 Post by colonial » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 am

Another example why it's good to have a PAF who is quick at Googling.

Jeemie

#8 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 am

Appa23 wrote:Maybe the show just needs a BB to make a million dollar run. :)
Don't put the smiley.

The resources this Bored offers, along with the people it attracts, makes this a very true statement.

I think we've seen that not everybody puts in the effort at resource-building and strategy and planning for this game as we do.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:22 am

Jeemie wrote:
Don't put the smiley.
I shouldn't be happy if someone from here runs the stack????????

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 am

Appa23 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Don't put the smiley.
I shouldn't be happy if someone from here runs the stack????????
I thought you were being sarcastic about them needing a BB to make a run.

A BB, or someone similarly resourced (or just someone really damn smart), seems to be the only type of person who would be able to successfully navigate through the challenges the show has placed in front of contestants.

With the exception of Rob Placek, no one seems to have given any thought to PAF strategy thus far. And even he blew off an expert that was likely to know his Obama question.

Several seem uncomfortable with the clock.

These are the things we as BBs take as givens that we're going to practice and practice before we ever get on the show.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:43 am

This stack means it's very likely that they're using SyndieBAM level stacks. We've seen "Patently False" as the topic of the million-dollar question a number of times. As a patent attorney, I really want to know what that question is. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#12 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:47 am

Bob78164 wrote:This stack means it's very likely that they're using SyndieBAM level stacks. We've seen "Patently False" as the topic of the million-dollar question a number of times. As a patent attorney, I really want to know what that question is. --Bob
As a scientist with three patents to my name, I'd like to see the question, too.

hbomb1947

#13 Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 am

Appa23 wrote:This contestant is the argument for why TPTB went away from TPG to auditions -- zero on-air personality and he walked with $4k, after using all of his lifelines. People start channel-surfing very quickly with such contestants. (Let me say that I am sure that Gary is a very nice guy in real life.)
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had) and Michelle Ribeiro. The result of Gary's appearance was as much a result of a syndibam-level stack as anything else. I'm not excusing him for poor PAF preparation, but the Seinfeld question, although I knew it, was way undervalued, as was his art question. TOPG, when run properly (including things like letting people qualify multiple times during the same qualifying period, and having a R2, to increase the chances of the "best" contestants getting to the ROF), and without WWOQ's to trip the contestants up, yielded plenty of terrific contestants who went deep into their stacks.

Jeemie

#14 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:34 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:This contestant is the argument for why TPTB went away from TPG to auditions -- zero on-air personality and he walked with $4k, after using all of his lifelines. People start channel-surfing very quickly with such contestants. (Let me say that I am sure that Gary is a very nice guy in real life.)
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had) and Michelle Ribeiro. The result of Gary's appearance was as much a result of a syndibam-level stack as anything else. I'm not excusing him for poor PAF preparation, but the Seinfeld question, although I knew it, was way undervalued, as was his art question. TOPG, when run properly (including things like letting people qualify multiple times during the same qualifying period, and having a R2, to increase the chances of the "best" contestants getting to the ROF), and without WWOQ's to trip the contestants up, yielded plenty of terrific contestants who went deep into their stacks.
There's no way that question was undervalued.

I know it's been tean years now, but Seinfeld was a national phenomenon, and the Fusilli Jerry was a big plot point in one episode (a popular episode at that- the "Assman" episode).

PS In a nice coincidence, the episode on TV on Fox 29 in Philly last night was the Soup Nazi episode- in which "Schmoopie", George Stephanopoulos' wife, made her appearance!
Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigDrawMan

#15 Post by BigDrawMan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Was the "Fusilli Jerry" really that difficult to recall? I said fusilli even before the choices came up. But maybe that's just me.

Nihil obstat®

It is hard if you dint see it

I musta missed that one
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 am

BigDrawMan wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Was the "Fusilli Jerry" really that difficult to recall? I said fusilli even before the choices came up. But maybe that's just me.

Nihil obstat®

It is hard if you dint see it

I musta missed that one
Even with a picture, it's hard to identify the pasta.

hbomb1947

#17 Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am

Jeemie wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
There's no way that question was undervalued.

I know it's been tean years now, but Seinfeld was a national phenomenon, and the Fusilli Jerry was a big plot point in one episode (a popular episode at that- the "Assman" episode).

PS In a nice coincidence, the episode on TV on Fox 29 in Philly last night was the Soup Nazi episode- in which "Schmoopie", George Stephanopoulos' wife, made her appearance!
If you saw it then you may well remember it (as you and I both did); but I don't think that episode was anywhere near as famous as the "Soup Nazi" or "The Contest" episodes, to name just a couple. It was a memorable episode, but I think it had little if any pop culture impact. And of course, this question isn't capable of being reasoned out if you haven't seen that particular Seinfeld show (leaving aside that TFC makes it almost impossible for contestants to reason out answers anymore anyway). Combined with the passage of time (original broadcast was April 1995), I don't see how that question was fairly valued at only $8K. I think it would have easily been worth at least $32K in the old days.

hanzz

#18 Post by hanzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
That is just silly. Yeah, it was necessary to go to auditions to choose such awesome contestants as Brad Abbey (what a scintillating on-air personality he had).
I still can't get over that they probably viewed our tapes side by side and picked him.

Forgive me for continuing to harp on this.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 am

hanzz wrote:I still can't get over that they probably viewed our tapes side by side and picked him.

I empathize with you, hanzz.

Just be prepared to be lumped in with us bitter, curmudgeonly MAWGs! :wink:

Jeemie

#20 Post by Jeemie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:07 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
hanzz wrote:I still can't get over that they probably viewed our tapes side by side and picked him.

I empathize with you, hanzz.

Just be prepared to be lumped in with us bitter, curmudgeonly MAWGs! :wink:
He's still young with a full life ahead of him, Marley!

Don't you be trying to convert him to the Dark Side!

Lackadaisical Stumblebum
Merry Man

#21 Post by Lackadaisical Stumblebum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This stack means it's very likely that they're using SyndieBAM level stacks. We've seen "Patently False" as the topic of the million-dollar question a number of times. As a patent attorney, I really want to know what that question is. --Bob
As a scientist with three patents to my name, I'd like to see the question, too.
Maybe it's a question on Mary Janes.
Sharing smokes and a cup of joe with my friend, Insouciant Ruffian. Good times!

hanzz

#22 Post by hanzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:10 pm

Ah, MAWG-ville. Can't wait. Well, by virtue of being a guy, I'm a fourth of the way there. I'll never be fully there since I'm only 1/8 White (7/8 Colombian), but I'm sure my very German-sounding name easily evens out that fraction.

Lackadaisical Stumblebum
Merry Man

#23 Post by Lackadaisical Stumblebum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 pm

I didn't see the show, so I'm going strictly on the transcript here.

If an auditioner burned through his lifelines and walked with 4k, he'd be pilloried 'til hell wouldn't have him. But, since he's a phone game contestant, he gets a pass.

Michelle Ribierio gets cracked on, but she walked with 16k and, in my opinion, she had more difficult questions than this guy. (Obviously, one of the reasons is because she got further in the stack than he did).
Sharing smokes and a cup of joe with my friend, Insouciant Ruffian. Good times!

TheConfessor

#24 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:46 pm

hanzz wrote:Ah, MAWG-ville. Can't wait. Well, by virtue of being a guy, I'm a fourth of the way there. I'll never be fully there since I'm only 1/8 White (7/8 Colombian), but I'm sure my very German-sounding name easily evens out that fraction.
"Colombian" is a race? Who knew? I thought Columbus was an Italian.

hanzz

#25 Post by hanzz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, fine, Mr. Confessor [who I now know is Ed Toutant, and to whom I have the honor of speaking to giddily], if we are going to get technical, I am 100% White since Hispanicness is neither a race nor a disease, but an ethnic group.
Last edited by hanzz on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.