July 2009 OTC list

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
slam

Re: July 2009 OTC list

#76 Post by slam » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:44 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Probably, and I didn't feel like trying to read through and figure it out, so thanks. But is that very different from someone who might get all of their questions ahead of time from the question list that's posted here?
Yes it is. Most basically, one is against the rules and one isn't (This was discussed in a thread last week). There's can't be a reasonable dispute that entering in someone else's SS and birthdate is "entering false information with the intent to deceive the contest," and that on any game show (as well as in any school, job, etc.), having someone else take a test for you is disqualifying if you are caught. I think we know exactly what would happen if our "July 31 OTC person," upon fielding The Call, told TPTB that someone had played for her. Or even if she revealed this info in the green room after arriving in NY. In contrast, TPTB have never asked people, whether in an announcement by Fred, or in the written rules, or on any incarnation of this bored, NOT to discuss Fred's questions with others (let alone not to post them on a message bored) -- and TPTB have to have known that we have been posting the phone game questions on the various BAM boreds going all the way back to at least 2000. And this distinction is leaving aside the improbabiility of someone having seen ALL FIVE of their questions here before (AND getting them all right AND it being the case that they wouldn't have known any of them otherwise; and also remember that BB's have been unable to even figure out the "correct" answers to some of the ones that HAVE been posted here, and people still fat-finger, etc.).

Some of us are very furious about someone who didn't even speak to Fred (other than to state her name and hometown AFTER her husband had "qualified" her) possibly taking a spot in the ROF away from someone who played by the rules. (And this isn't personal with me, as the individual in question isn't trying for the same tape date as me).

I also adopt, and incorporate by reference, the much more pithy comments of gsabc, which pretty much say the same thing as me, albeit much more economically. :D
hbomb1947 wrote:
Sheesh, why do we have to bicker over I-told-you-sos, and who was right, and the true scientific meaning of terms? Why can't we just be full of perkitude that the phone game came back?

[Paraphrasing] Sheesh, why do we have to be furious at each, and bicker over who played by the rules, and the true meaning of phone game distinctions?
Why can't we just be full of perkitude that the phone game came back?

So how about leaving the furiousness behind, H, and just be full of perkitude?
I'm certainly not furious about the situation, but let's get real. That's blatant cheating. I'm sure TPTB expect some of that sort of thing to go on, but they're probably not happy knowing that it happens. And if they become aware of too much of it going on, then they're less likely to use the Phone Game again in the future.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#77 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 pm

slam wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Yes it is. Most basically, one is against the rules and one isn't (This was discussed in a thread last week). There's can't be a reasonable dispute that entering in someone else's SS and birthdate is "entering false information with the intent to deceive the contest," and that on any game show (as well as in any school, job, etc.), having someone else take a test for you is disqualifying if you are caught. I think we know exactly what would happen if our "July 31 OTC person," upon fielding The Call, told TPTB that someone had played for her. Or even if she revealed this info in the green room after arriving in NY. In contrast, TPTB have never asked people, whether in an announcement by Fred, or in the written rules, or on any incarnation of this bored, NOT to discuss Fred's questions with others (let alone not to post them on a message bored) -- and TPTB have to have known that we have been posting the phone game questions on the various BAM boreds going all the way back to at least 2000. And this distinction is leaving aside the improbabiility of someone having seen ALL FIVE of their questions here before (AND getting them all right AND it being the case that they wouldn't have known any of them otherwise; and also remember that BB's have been unable to even figure out the "correct" answers to some of the ones that HAVE been posted here, and people still fat-finger, etc.).

Some of us are very furious about someone who didn't even speak to Fred (other than to state her name and hometown AFTER her husband had "qualified" her) possibly taking a spot in the ROF away from someone who played by the rules. (And this isn't personal with me, as the individual in question isn't trying for the same tape date as me).

I also adopt, and incorporate by reference, the much more pithy comments of gsabc, which pretty much say the same thing as me, albeit much more economically. :D
hbomb1947 wrote:

[Paraphrasing] Sheesh, why do we have to be furious at each, and bicker over who played by the rules, and the true meaning of phone game distinctions?

I'm certainly not furious about the situation, but let's get real. That's blatant cheating. I'm sure TPTB expect some of that sort of thing to go on, but they're probably not happy knowing that it happens. And if they become aware of too much of it going on, then they're less likely to use the Phone Game again in the future.
That's not my objection, Slam, although I think TPTB have a pretty good handle on how many people qualified for other people just by hotseaters' confidence level and how much success they had in the hot seat, and I think we've already seen less use of the Phone Game because of it. My ojection to H is that he was inveighing for perkitudinous (well, you probably can't inveigh for perkitudinous since the former inplies much seriousness, and the latter implies much lightheartedness, but nevermind, you know what I mean) on the one hand, versus radiating anger and detailing a reproof on the other, which is just about as non-perkitudinous as you can be.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#78 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Apples and oranges, Sprots.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#79 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:00 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Apples and oranges, Sprots.
I disagree, Marley. I think H should be consistently for perkitude after he's been cheerleading for it instead of trying to start fights with [unnamed BB, although I'm pretty sure you can still look it up] or expressing how "very angry" he is.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

slam

#80 Post by slam » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
slam wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

That's not my objection, Slam, although I think TPTB have a pretty good handle on how many people qualified for other people just by hotseaters' confidence level and how much success they had in the hot seat, and I think we've already seen less use of the Phone Game because of it. My ojection to H is that he was inveighing for perkitudinous (well, you probably can't inveigh for perkitudinous since the former inplies much seriousness, and the latter implies much lightheartedness, but nevermind, you know what I mean) on the one hand, versus radiating anger and detailing a reproof on the other, which is just about as non-perkitudinous as you can be.
I do agree with you that Hbomb's furiousness doesn't really accomplish much (sorry, Hbomb), but I absolutely agree with the points he's making about whether the Phone Game should be played by one person for another. And I think those points are worth making, with or without perkitudiousnessity. And we've finally got the Phone Game back for one brief shining moment. Wouldn't it be great if it would come back some more? Following the rules as set down by TPTB, particularly where they make sense, seems like a small way to contribute to that possibility.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#81 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:09 pm

slam wrote:. . . I absolutely agree with the points he's making about whether the Phone Game should be played by one person for another. . . .
I agree with that also. I too think it is a very bad thing, and, as I said earlier, I think it's a major contributing factor in TPTB using the phone game less.

I feel very lucky -- perky, if you will :mrgreen: -- about being OTC July 20.

hbomb1947

#82 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm

slam wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
slam wrote:
I do agree with you that Hbomb's furiousness doesn't really accomplish much (sorry, Hbomb), but I absolutely agree with the points he's making about whether the Phone Game should be played by one person for another. And I think those points are worth making, with or without perkitudiousnessity. And we've finally got the Phone Game back for one brief shining moment. Wouldn't it be great if it would come back some more? Following the rules as set down by TPTB, particularly where they make sense, seems like a small way to contribute to that possibility.
I'm not trying to "accomplish" anything by being furious; it's just the way I feel -- not just because a certain person cheated, but because he then brazenly and remorselessly defended his conduct.

Otherwise, I agree with the others who suggest that perkitudinous does not require me to condone blatant cheating.

OTOH, I disagree that the fact that some of this cheating will inevitably occur had anything to do with the disappearance of TOPG. I think it was all about demographics (see., e.g., Michael Davies' famous "blue shirt" comment) and the seeking of perkitudinous contestants.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#83 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:16 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:OTOH, I disagree that the fact that some of this cheating had anything to do with the disappearance of TOPG. I think it was all about demographics (see., e.g., Michael Davies' famous "blue shirt" comment) and the seeking of perkitudinous contestants.
Agreed. And that's why half of the ROF will be cast through auditions, this time.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#84 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:19 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:. . .

Otherwise, I agree with the others who suggest that perkitudinous does not require me to condone blatant cheating.

. . .
Nobody suggested that, H. I suggested an inconsistency in cheerleading for perkitudinous-only on one hand and on the other hand acting out in a very non-perkitudinous way, and I suggested that you act in accordance with your perkitudinous-only cheerleading.

You're not condoning something just because you remain silent about it. Let Slam carry the ball on this one.

. . . Too late.

hbomb1947

#85 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:OTOH, I disagree that the fact that some of this cheating had anything to do with the disappearance of TOPG. I think it was all about demographics (see., e.g., Michael Davies' famous "blue shirt" comment) and the seeking of perkitudinous contestants.
Agreed. And that's why half of the ROF will be cast through auditions, this time.
So you agree with my disagreement? :D

MarleysGh0st

#86 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:21 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
So you agree with my disagreement? :D
I do!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#87 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:36 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
I'm not trying to "accomplish" anything by being furious; it's just the way I feel -- not just because a certain person cheated, but because he then brazenly and remorselessly defended his conduct.
Actually, he did not "brazenly and remorselessly" defend his conduct. I looked at his posts. I do not know whether he has remorse, and at this point I do not particularly care. What's done is done.
For all we know, others on the list also may have been qualified by family members, but the posters worded their reports more carefully. I do not accuse anyone of that, but it could happen.

Please limit your fury to actual misdeeds. Do not taint him with a brazen defense that was not there.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

hbomb1947

#88 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:31 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Actually, he did not "brazenly and remorselessly" defend his conduct. I looked at his posts. I do not know whether he has remorse, and at this point I do not particularly care. What's done is done.
For all we know, others on the list also may have been qualified by family members, but the posters worded their reports more carefully. I do not accuse anyone of that, but it could happen.

Please limit your fury to actual misdeeds. Do not taint him with a brazen defense that was not there.
I think that now is where Sprots's point actually applies and I don't want to get into an argument, least of all with you, and lose my perkitude. But I will continue to inveigh against anyone who plays TNPG "on behalf of" anyone else. And you're right, it could happen with others, but I certainly hope it hasn't and won't happen with anyone else on this bored.

chad1m

#89 Post by chad1m » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 pm

If we're done now, I'd like to bring this list back to the forefront so others may update with their progress.

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
OperaSinger (plasticene's SO)
Odyssey
plasticene

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Christie1111 WooFreakingHoo!
Melly
rmadilo (VAdame's sister)
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
tink (family member of 7yrscollegedownthedrain? Granddaughter)
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
Penny--wife of mcraig7155536
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

hbomb1947

#90 Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 pm

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#91 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:04 pm

I will bump this thread because I know that it will soon be needed. Thin fingers and nimble minds to all. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kayak

#92 Post by kayak » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:20 pm

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980

elwoodblues

#93 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:03 pm

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980

Sir_Galahad

#94 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:08 pm

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues
Galahad

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

christie1111
11:11

#95 Post by christie1111 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:10 pm

WTG SirG!

I knew you could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Sir_Galahad

#96 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:50 pm

christie1111 wrote:WTG SirG!

I knew you could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I was beginning to wonder...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

BackInTex

#97 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:38 pm

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene
BiT

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues
Galahad

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#98 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 am

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene
BiT

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues
Galahad

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic
Bob78164

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#99 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:08 am

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene
BiT

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues
Galahad

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic
Bob78164

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980
themanwho

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#100 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 am

July 16 - for July 29
Kim
Mrs. Reeg
Odyssey
plasticene
BiT

July 16 - for July 30
hbomb1947
ksbirchtree
flockofseagulls104
tailskid
littlebeast13
VAdame
elwoodblues
Galahad
mrkelley23

July 17 - for July 31
RJS
Nanci - RJS's wife
slam
Schliemann
mikehardware
Buff
Spock
gailmail5
DrJoe1e6

July 17 - for August 3
vettech
Melly
Estonut
gsabc
chad1m's father, Wade
panic
Bob78164

July 20 - for August 4
7yrscollegedownthedrain
AlphaDummy
MarleysGh0st
SportsFan68
megaaddict
jurisdoctor07
Kayak

July 20 - for August 5
mcraig7155536
Hambone
KillerTomato
T_Bone0806
sherder
eyégor
NellyLunatic1980
themanwho