Transcript 5/20/09 - Joey Gutmann (clem21)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/20/09 - Joey Gutmann (clem21)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Joey Gutmann
New York, NY
College Student and BB (clem21)

Joey says he's very excited to be there, "like a kid in a candy shop....How many kids my age get to do something like this?" He's a major game show fan, and has enjoyed trivia shows since he "was a kid, now I'm on one; how cool is that?" (Ed. Note: Um....clem? You're STILL a kid, kid! :-)). Meredith says that he's been studying hard for his hot seat appearance every day. Joey: "Yeah, I go to school on the subway, and I bring along my massive trivia books. I open them up and I get people looking at me like 'What is he doing?' and I'm like 'Oh, no, I'm being on a game show, it's not my fault!' Of course, that probably makes them think I'm even weirder."

Clem's...um...Joey's category tree:

The Breeders
Place of Honor
Wish Me Luck
Meet and Greet
Tangled Web
Who Am I?
Pricey Paint Jobs
Dance Fever
Sliders
No Sweat
Field of Dreams
Foreign Titles
Logo-a-go-go
Red Alert
Animal Sidekicks

$100 (Animal Sidekicks): Still considered unlucky in many cultures, what creatures were once commonly thought to be the companions of witches?
A. Yellow birds B. Black cats
C. Tan horses D. Telemarketers
Spoiler
B. Black cats (6)
$200 (Red Alert): Which of these historical events involved nuclear weapons being pointed at the U.S.?
A. Battle of Gettysburg B. Spanish Inquisition
C. Cuban Missle Crisis D. Boston Tea Party
Spoiler
B. Spanish Inquisition (5)
Spoiler
NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! OK, OK...it was C. Cuban Missle Crisis.
$300 (Logo-a-go-go): Which of these companies originally had a logo that depicted Isaac Newton sitting beneath a fruit tree?
A. Toyota B. Apple
C. Pepsi D. Kleenex
Spoiler
B. Apple (8)
$500 (Foreign Titles): Which of these movies was released in Montreal with the title "Les Girls de Las Vegas?" (sic)
A. Mean Girls B. Kiss the Girls
C. Uptown Girls D. Showgirls
Spoiler
D. Showgirls (7)
$1,000 (Field of Dreams): Which of these pro baseball stadiums is named after the brother of a U.S. president?
A. RFK Stadium B. Jacobs Field
C. PNC Park D. Coors Field
Spoiler
A. RFK Stadium (6)
Joey has earned the ATE lifeline, which means he can now call upon Jim Cramer, the host of "Mad Money" on CNBC. Jim calls himself Meredith's "go-to guy." Then he and Meredith plug Jim's book, "Stay Mad for Life," which teaches people how to save their money.

$2,000 (No Sweat): Which of these '90s song titles references a then-popular brand of deodorant?
A. Mama Said Knock You Out B. Smells Like Teen Spirit
C. Semi-Charmed Life D. Livin' La Vida Loca

Joey says he has an idea, but wants to ATA (18).
ATA Results
A. Mama Said Knock You Out - 7%
B. Smells Like Teen Spirit - 75%
C. Semi-Charmed Life - 6%
D. Livin' La Vida Loca - 12%
Joey admits that it wasn't what he was thinking, so he's glad he decided to ATA.
Spoiler
B. Smells Like Teen Spirit (9)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Joey is known among his friends and family for two things: his smile and his sneakers. They're blue and orange (as they show, since he's wearing them). His parents aren't as thrilled with them; his dad calls them his "Bozo the Clown shoes." He's worn them to his brother's wedding, his sister's graduation, and now on Millionaire. Joey claims that they're very comfortable and "they bring me good luck sometimes." Meredith asks Joey's mom, Shuli, who is in the audience, how she felt about them wearing them on the show, and Shuli said, "Doesn't every mother want to see their son on national television in big orange boats?" [Ed. Note: Clem, you're mom looked great and was very funny. You need to smile more, though, kid. :-)]

$4,000 (Sliders): When a trombone player extends the instrument's slide, what happens to the note being played?
A. It gets higher B. It gets lower
C. It increases in volume D. It decreases in volume

Joey chooses to ATE (21). Jim admits he's not a musician ("none whatsoever"). He stares at the question for a while, then says
Spoiler
"My 100% lack of certainty says that when you slide that instrument, it goes...it gets higher."
Joey points out that "100% lack of certainty is 0% certainty" to which Jim says that "had I flipped a coin, my conviction rate would have gone up dramatically...
Spoiler
I just think that the guy is obviously stretching, and when you think about it, when he stretches, it would be unusual to believe that a stretch would necessarily make something lower. The other one that looks tempting is decrease in volume, but you know what? I just think that it must be a way to be able to make it so that he stretches, and that the higher sound kind of figures more...logical to me."
Joey's response is that he's "glad you didn't yell at me!"

Joey decides to DD (16). His first guess,
Spoiler
A
, is incorrect. His second guess, though, is right.
Spoiler
B. It gets lower (7)
$8,000 (Dance Fever): Which of these celebrities was not a competitor on the Fall 2008 season of TV's "Dancing With the Stars"?
A. A former boy-band star B. A celebrity chef
C. A Fortune 500 CEO D. A beach volleyball player

Joey says he remembers
Spoiler
Misty May (a beach volleyball player) and a celebrity chef, and he thinks Lance Bass (a former boy-band member)
so he goes with the fourth choice.
Spoiler
C. A Fortune 500 CEO (10)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

$16,000 (Pricey Paint Jobs): "Le Bassin aux Nympheas," which sold for a record $80 million in 2008, is one of Monet's many paintings of what flowers?
A. Orchids B. Sunflowers
C. Chrysanthemums D. Water lilies

Joey agonizes for a few seconds, because he "knows what Monet is famous for painting, but [isn't sure] if every painting was it," but he wants to save his PAF, so he correctly goes with his gut.
Spoiler
D. Water lilies (9)
THE HORN SOUNDS

Joey/Clem will return tomorrow to go for $25,000 with his PAF lifeline left.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Transcript 5/20/09 - Joey Gutmann (clem21)

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Good job, Clem!

Looking forward to tomorrow.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

clem21
Nose Exploder

#3 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Nihil Obstat!

I have always wanted to say that.

Post #1000!!!!
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

clem21
Nose Exploder

#4 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:44 pm

I will post my comments and story and everything after tomorrow...

Thanks for the support!

And yes I was a kid but I still am a kid but...you know what I meant!
-Charles Bukowski

clem21
Nose Exploder

#5 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Also where's my WE??? I am a WE! And considering that I'm starting work at EXTRA next week I'm a WE/WE! Give me some credit here! :D
-Charles Bukowski

KillerTomato

#6 Post by KillerTomato » Wed May 20, 2009 5:19 pm

clem21 wrote:Also where's my WE??? I am a WE! And considering that I'm starting work at EXTRA next week I'm a WE/WE! Give me some credit here! :D

Marley's the keeper of the WE/WEs. (Boy, that does NOT sound good when spoken aloud!)

I hope I captured your words correctly....I tried to stay as close to the direct quotes as possible, because (and this is a rarity) it was WORTH IT. You were very entertaining!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

macrae1234

#7 Post by macrae1234 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:21 pm

$1,000 (Field of Dreams): Which of these pro baseball stadiums is named after the brother of a U.S. president?

How about "none of the above" since the Nationals have played in Nationals Park since the start of the 2008 season
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

macrae1234 wrote:$1,000 (Field of Dreams): Which of these pro baseball stadiums is named after the brother of a U.S. president?

How about "none of the above" since the Nationals have played in Nationals Park since the start of the 2008 season
True enough. Not only that, but George Washington had several male siblings. They were all named long before these ballparks were named. So all four stadiums were named after the brother of a president.

lv42day

#9 Post by lv42day » Wed May 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Congratulations thus far Clem! Being a pastor who will perform a wedding ceremony soon, I'm just curious if you actually wore your sneakers during the wedding ceremony or just the reception afterward.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#10 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 pm

lv42day wrote:Congratulations thus far Clem! Being a pastor who will perform a wedding ceremony soon, I'm just curious if you actually wore your sneakers during the wedding ceremony or just the reception afterward.
Just the reception. And the dancing.
-Charles Bukowski

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 7:09 pm

clem21 wrote:Nihil Obstat!

Post #1000!!!!
You may have wanted to say that, but the evidence documented by the transcript says otherwise! :P

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 pm

clem21 wrote:Also where's my WE??? I am a WE! And considering that I'm starting work at EXTRA next week I'm a WE/WE! Give me some credit here! :D
The BBTranscriptTeam tries to maintain objectivity, so it's up to any of us posting with our regular handles to make observation about Where Else and What Else qualifications. Contrary to what KT said, I'm not the only one to do so. Nelly often beats me to it! :mrgreen:

And so, today, you've WE/WE'd yourself, Joey! :P

clem21
Nose Exploder

#13 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:24 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
clem21 wrote:Nihil Obstat!

Post #1000!!!!
You may have wanted to say that, but the evidence documented by the transcript says otherwise! :P
Ah but at the time I posted it it's true! :lol:
-Charles Bukowski

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Joey has earned the ATE lifeline, which means he can now call upon Jim Cramer, the host of "Mad Money" on CNBC. Jim calls himself Meredith's "go-to guy." Then he and Meredith plug Jim's book, "Stay Mad for Life," which teaches people how to save their money.
While shamelessly plugging his book, Jim Cramer said that it teaches people how to save money by such methods as making a budget and cutting out unnecessary expenditures. Like, wow! I'm sure there's never been a personal finance author who's suggested that before! :roll:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2,000 (No Sweat): Which of these '90s song titles references a then-popular brand of deodorant?

ATA Results
Joey admits that it wasn't what he was thinking, so he's glad he decided to ATA.
Spoiler
There I was in the audience, ready to help out a fellow BB, and when Joey asked for help on this question...I had to do the difficult and responsible thing, by abstaining from the ATA vote. I have often heard the title Smells Like Teen Spirit, but I was unfamiliar with the lyrics and had never noticed that they used to sell a woman's deodorant by that name.

Looking at the question on the TV tonight, without the pressure of TDC, I think I noticed for the first time that the question specifically says the song title has the reference. I might have been able to go with the right hunch, if I had made that observation on October 30.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (Sliders): When a trombone player extends the instrument's slide, what happens to the note being played?
A. It gets higher B. It gets lower
C. It increases in volume D. It decreases in volume

Joey chooses to ATE (21). Jim admits he's not a musician ("none whatsoever"). He stares at the question for a while, then says
Spoiler
"My 100% lack of certainty says that when you slide that instrument, it goes...it gets higher."
Joey points out that "100% lack of certainty is 0% certainty" to which Jim says that "had I flipped a coin, my conviction rate would have gone up dramatically...
Spoiler
I just think that the guy is obviously stretching, and when you think about it, when he stretches, it would be unusual to believe that a stretch would necessarily make something lower. The other one that looks tempting is decrease in volume, but you know what? I just think that it must be a way to be able to make it so that he stretches, and that the higher sound kind of figures more...logical to me."
Joey's response is that he's "glad you didn't yell at me!"

Joey decides to DD (16). His first guess,
Spoiler
A
, is incorrect. His second guess, though, is right.
Spoiler
B. It gets lower (7)
Good ol' Jim Cramer and his wonderful physics logic. Stretch for those high notes! :roll:

I was really afraid you've buy the farm here, Joey, when you were thanking Jim for his logical answer. It was a great relief when you decided to double dip.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 (Dance Fever): Which of these celebrities was not a competitor on the Fall 2008 season of TV's "Dancing With the Stars"?
A. A former boy-band star B. A celebrity chef
C. A Fortune 500 CEO D. A beach volleyball player

Joey says he remembers
Spoiler
Misty May (a beach volleyball player) and a celebrity chef, and he thinks Lance Bass (a former boy-band member)
so he goes with the fourth choice.
Spoiler
C. A Fortune 500 CEO (10)
I couldn't recall or imagine any Fortune 500 CEO having the time to compete on this show, but I probably would have burned the ATA to make sure of that in the Hot Seat.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 (Pricey Paint Jobs): "Le Bassin aux Nympheas," which sold for a record $80 million in 2008, is one of Monet's many paintings of what flowers?
A. Orchids B. Sunflowers
C. Chrysanthemums D. Water lilies

Joey agonizes for a few seconds, because he "knows what Monet is famous for painting, but [isn't sure] if every painting was it," but he wants to save his PAF, so he correctly goes with his gut.
Spoiler
D. Water lilies (9)
Once again, I noticed details in the question tonight that I didn't notice at the taping. The immediate association I made back then was Monet = water lilies. I didn't try translating "Le Bassin aux Nympheas". Even with my French being too poor to identify that as "water lily pond" I could certain see the resemblance to "basin" and "Nymph" which would make water lilies the only reasonable association, even without the name of the artist.

On to tomorrow's episode! At long last, I won't have to keep secrets!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#15 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Wed May 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Nihil Obstat.

Not really. Ha! My grandfather was a professional trombone player. My dad had his trombone and I taught myself how to play it a little bit. But I probably still would have had to ATA just to stop the clock and give myself time to pretend to play String of Pearls to make sure that it was lower.

Thank goodness the expert gave such a long-winded ridiculous explanation for his ramblings that Clem wasn't taken in by him making out to sort of know kind of what he might be talking about on the volume nonsense!

PS I was SO proud of you for knowing about the water lilies, Clem! And even prouder that you stoned up and went for it instead of caving to self doubt and using the PAF.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#16 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:J$2,000 (No Sweat): Which of these '90s song titles references a then-popular brand of deodorant?

ATA Results
Spoiler
There I was in the audience, ready to help out a fellow BB, and when Joey asked for help on this question...I had to do the difficult and responsible thing, by abstaining from the ATA vote. I have often heard the title Smells Like Teen Spirit, but I was unfamiliar with the lyrics and had never noticed that they used to sell a woman's deodorant by that name.
If it makes you feel better, knowing the lyrics wouldn't have helped you. They don't have anything to do with deodorant and that might have tripped you up even more. And good for you for abstaining instead of just best guessing so you could participate!

And I seem to recall that it was marketed towards young girls, along the lines of Bonne Bell Lipsmackers and such.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:And good for you for abstaining instead of just best guessing so you could participate!
Well, I have had a fair amount of experience being in the audience over the years. :wink:

But it really is a difficult thing to abstain from voting. You're sitting there being silent while the contestant is playing, and maybe the contestant (speaking generically here) is doing much worse than you'd do if you were in the Hot Seat, and you want so bad to participate in those few moments of game play when it's permitted...

But, even if the warm-up comic won't explain it to the audience, we BBs know that guessing just hurts the contestants.

TheConfessor

#18 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 20, 2009 7:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: But, even if the warm-up comic won't explain it to the audience, we BBs know that guessing just hurts the contestants.
Yeah, but if you're sitting near anyone who appears to be credible and trustworthy, duplicating his or her vote can help the contestants. I've been in the audience a few times and I know that is very common. One smart person can influence several nearby people. I don't know whether this phenomenon applied to your particular situation that day.

TheConfessor

#19 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote: There I was in the audience, ready to help out a fellow BB, and when Joey asked for help on this question...I had to do the difficult and responsible thing, by abstaining from the ATA vote. I have often heard the title Smells Like Teen Spirit, but I was unfamiliar with the lyrics and had never noticed that they used to sell a woman's deodorant by that name.
They still do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Spiri ... odorant%29

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: But, even if the warm-up comic won't explain it to the audience, we BBs know that guessing just hurts the contestants.
Yeah, but if you're sitting near anyone who appears to be credible and trustworthy, duplicating his or her vote can help the contestants. I've been in the audience a few times and I know that is very common. One smart person can influence several nearby people. I don't know whether this phenomenon applied to your particular situation that day.
I didn't know anyone I was sitting next to (no other BBs on this trip) and so I couldn't trust whatever they were voting for.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#21 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:05 pm

WTG Clem! You doing great and you look great to!

BTW, Clem, I got the sense that Kara wore the Beret not so much as a fashion statement but that she is Shoma Shabbas based on the photo of her husband. Am I correct? If so, that would make BAM an all orthodox Jewish contestent day. What are the odds? Maybe a minyan to one?

---Jay

Snaxx

#22 Post by Snaxx » Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 pm

On the $4000 question I knew right away that it would either be higher or lower but not which right away. It was figure-outable but the ticking clock is a factor now. Double-Dip is a good lifeline if the clock runs down. That expert was a bag of wind. When a bag of wind expands, does it make a higher or lower pitched sound?

Congrats Clem on getting at least this far. Looking forward to the 25K (and higher!) questions.

KillerTomato

#23 Post by KillerTomato » Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:On the $4000 question I knew right away that it would either be higher or lower but not which right away. It was figure-outable but the ticking clock is a factor now. Double-Dip is a good lifeline if the clock runs down. That expert was a bag of wind. When a bag of wind expands, does it make a higher or lower pitched sound?

Congrats Clem on getting at least this far. Looking forward to the 25K (and higher!) questions.

Well, he reallly was stretching, so.....higher. :-)

I immediately thought of a pennywhistle, which drops in pitch as you pull out the plunger.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Estonut
Evil Genius

#24 Post by Estonut » Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 pm

KillerTomato wrote:I immediately thought of a pennywhistle, which drops in pitch as you pull out the plunger.
On a pan flute type of a set of whistles, the shorter ones are higher in pitch than the longer ones.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

clem21
Nose Exploder

#25 Post by clem21 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:Nihil Obstat.

Not really. Ha! My grandfather was a professional trombone player. My dad had his trombone and I taught myself how to play it a little bit. But I probably still would have had to ATA just to stop the clock and give myself time to pretend to play String of Pearls to make sure that it was lower.

Thank goodness the expert gave such a long-winded ridiculous explanation for his ramblings that Clem wasn't taken in by him making out to sort of know kind of what he might be talking about on the volume nonsense!

PS I was SO proud of you for knowing about the water lilies, Clem! And even prouder that you stoned up and went for it instead of caving to self doubt and using the PAF.
I'll expound on this later, but you Fanny are the reason I knew the $8,000 question despite having never watched a minute of Dancing With The Stars. I owe you one.
-Charles Bukowski