Audition Advice

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

Re: Audition Advice

#26 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Actually, auditions had already been announced at this time, last year. I auditioned twice last season, and the first one was on April 30th. I've also been checking the web site each day for the past couple of weeks. I predict they will post auditions either tomorrow, 4/27, or Friday 5/1, but my vibes have been a bit off lately, when it comes to game show stuff.

pseudonym214

#27 Post by pseudonym214 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:59 pm

mikehardware wrote:Getting Ready

Transcripts are posted on the Bored, and there are collections of transcripts in spreadsheet form available for all the versions and seasons of the show.
I found the thread of the transcripts on the board, but I can not find the transcripts in spreadsheet form. Where can I download those?

Thanks.

pseudonym214

#28 Post by pseudonym214 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm

pseudonym214 wrote:
mikehardware wrote:Getting Ready

Transcripts are posted on the Bored, and there are collections of transcripts in spreadsheet form available for all the versions and seasons of the show.
I found the thread of the transcripts on the board, but I can not find the transcripts in spreadsheet form. Where can I download those?

Thanks.
Sorry, I just found your other thread. It wasn't there the last time I looked. Thanks!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:38 pm

There are a lot of Stickies right now, with more (for clem's and Rafferty_Barnes's upcoming appearances to follow). So I may temporarily de-Sticky this thread from time to time until the traffic up top eases off a bit. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

chad1m

#30 Post by chad1m » Fri May 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Just wanted to bump this thread up since auditions are starting up again and, since I'm considering making the trek myself, I decided to peruse the article and this is an awesome thread with lots of valuable information.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#31 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Given that we're in audition season, this thread should be bumped. It's in the Bored Reference Thread if it disappears from the front page. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Steven Sousa

#32 Post by Steven Sousa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:25 am

Bump for this year's auditions.

This was a very helpful thread. I'm glad I read it before going to my audition. However, a few things are out of date:

1. In the three test sessions I've attended, two in the past few weeks and one towards the end of last season's taping schedule, a lot fewer than 20% of test takers are passing. I'd say closer to 5%. It's a really hard test.

2. As far as I can tell, they're no longer doing any video interviews. You get your 1-3 minutes with the staff member, and that's it.

themanwho

#33 Post by themanwho » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 am

Steven Sousa wrote:2. As far as I can tell, they're no longer doing any video interviews. You get your 1-3 minutes with the staff member, and that's it.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to one girl who passed the test that I'm following on Twitter they are still doing the video interviews. In fact, her comment to me was "Doesn't everyone get one?"

It does seem to be the case that the test is harder than before, though. She had to take it twice before she passed, and another person who I thought would have no trouble didn't pass it at all.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 am

Steven Sousa wrote:Bump for this year's auditions.

This was a very helpful thread. I'm glad I read it before going to my audition. However, a few things are out of date:

1. In the three test sessions I've attended, two in the past few weeks and one towards the end of last season's taping schedule, a lot fewer than 20% of test takers are passing. I'd say closer to 5%. It's a really hard test.

2. As far as I can tell, they're no longer doing any video interviews. You get your 1-3 minutes with the staff member, and that's it.
Thanks for bumping this. I think that New York auditions have been conducting video interviews in a separate room from the initial screening interview.

Do you remember the date of your audition last year? Did you pass the written test? --Bob

Steven Sousa

#35 Post by Steven Sousa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am

Bob78164 wrote:Do you remember the date of your audition last year? Did you pass the written test? --Bob
No, it was some time in November. I didn't pass the test.

ten96lt

#36 Post by ten96lt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Thanks for bumping this. I think that New York auditions have been conducting video interviews in a separate room from the initial screening interview.

Do you remember the date of your audition last year? Did you pass the written test? --Bob
They were doing video interviews behind the wall by the cash register in the cafeteria.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#37 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:52 pm

ten96lt wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

They were doing video interviews behind the wall by the cash register in the cafeteria.

Are you sure it wasn't Platform Nine and Three Quarters?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ten96lt

#38 Post by ten96lt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:20 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
ten96lt wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Thanks for bumping this. I think that New York auditions have been conducting video interviews in a separate room from the initial screening interview.

Are you sure it wasn't Platform Nine and Three Quarters?
It wasn't called that, but getting past that wall was a b!**h :wink:

hanzz

#39 Post by hanzz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 am

Methinks one of the monkeys at DADT needs ta get on updating road audition info.

Which leads me to the question, if the airdate of my last J! episode was November 19, am I allowed to audition? The rules specifically say your last airdate can't be within a year of the qualifying phone call, so I'm guessing that doesn't specifically bar me from auditioning. IIRC, Drew sent in his audition tape while he was still ineligible.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

ten96lt

#40 Post by ten96lt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:59 am

hanzz wrote:Methinks one of the monkeys at DADT needs ta get on updating road audition info.

Which leads me to the question, if the airdate of my last J! episode was November 19, am I allowed to audition? The rules specifically say your last airdate can't be within a year of the qualifying phone call, so I'm guessing that doesn't specifically bar me from auditioning. IIRC, Drew sent in his audition tape while he was still ineligible.
It doesn't specifically bar you, but you're essentially guaranteed to swim for one year in the pool since I doubt they'd be calling you after November 19th for anymore tape dates that season , if they even have anymore after Nov 19th; then you'd have to hope they remember you for the next season which is a gamble. Not saying you aren't desirable to be called after the 19th for the end of the season, but more than likely either they'll be pretty much done taping for the season by then or they'll have booked everyone for the last days well before the 19th.
Up to you, but if I was in your shoes; I'd wait until Summer 2012 to audition so I could be fresh in their minds plus able to appear on the show anytime they called me rather than hope they remember me after a year of treading in the pool.

danangel

#41 Post by danangel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:28 pm

I think you'd be disqualified if they called you within a year of the J! broadcast and then they'd remove you from the pool... That's what my interpretation of the official rules... It looks like the only exception is if you're running for office they will put you back in the pool after the qualifying call... Otherwise you could go through all that for nothing... I would wait

Jeemie

#42 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Are the tests still made up of questions from the shows?
1979 City of Champions 2009

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#43 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Jeemie wrote:Are the tests still made up of questions from the shows?

Yea, but the answers are from Hollywood Squares.

ten96lt

#44 Post by ten96lt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:Are the tests still made up of questions from the shows?

Yea, but the answers are from Hollywood Squares.
And you have to agree or disagree with what's written as the answer :P

HAL 9000

#45 Post by HAL 9000 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm going to the Las Vegas auditions(07/25/12). They list 3 sessions: 7-10AM, 12-3PM(Callbacks Only) and 5-7PM(Only for Movie Week). The way it sounds you would take the General Test from 7-10, 12-3 for callbacks(ie. interview(s)) and the Movie Week Test 5-7.
But what about the Movie Week Application and Questionaire? If you say you want to take
both Tests, would they take both Apps & Qs in the morning? If they take only General Apps
& Qs in the morning you could conceivably get a callback before you take the Movie Week
Test and all the good interview material from the Movie Week questionaire would not be available at interview time. What if you flunked the General Test, but passed the Movie Week
Test OR only took & passed the Movie Week Test? When would you interview? And if you
passed both Tests would you have to choose which type of show to apply for?

MarleysGh0st

#46 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:44 am

HAL 9000 wrote:I'm going to the Las Vegas auditions(07/25/12). They list 3 sessions: 7-10AM, 12-3PM(Callbacks Only) and 5-7PM(Only for Movie Week). The way it sounds you would take the General Test from 7-10, 12-3 for callbacks(ie. interview(s)) and the Movie Week Test 5-7.
But what about the Movie Week Application and Questionaire? If you say you want to take
both Tests, would they take both Apps & Qs in the morning? If they take only General Apps
& Qs in the morning you could conceivably get a callback before you take the Movie Week
Test and all the good interview material from the Movie Week questionaire would not be available at interview time. What if you flunked the General Test, but passed the Movie Week
Test OR only took & passed the Movie Week Test? When would you interview? And if you
passed both Tests would you have to choose which type of show to apply for?
The Movie audition is completely separate, with the test and interview in the evening.

First of all, they won't take or look at your application form unless you pass the written test; they'll give it a very short and cursory glance when you start your interview. If you have to use your best stories at both interviews, go ahead and do that. If you've ever watched the Movie editions, though, you'll have noticed that the contestants they select always seem to have way over-the-top stories related to their love of movies, so you better have saved some of those, too. It'd help if you really were the voice of HAL 9000 in that movie. :wink:

If you pass both tests and interviews, then you'll be in the pool for both editions and it'll be up to TPTB whether to invite you to one of them. If you get The Call for a regular edition show, it will be your choice whether to accept that or say you'd rather wait for a Movie edition invitation.

But don't count your chickens...

Ssydd

#47 Post by Ssydd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

This thread was a great source of information, thanks for sharing it. I have a few questions.

1. Casual is fine so dressing in nice jeans and a short sleeve button down should be ok? Am I overthinking dress code? I don't want to be overheated traipsing around NYC in a suit and tie if I don't have to, I'll save it for the show.

2. I don't know NYC very well, I'm taking a train arriving at 1:40 at Grand Central. Is that enough time for me to easily take subway over to Metropolis Studio by 3pm?

3. How would you spend your time tonight preparing?

4. Any new advice for 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#48 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Ssydd wrote:This thread was a great source of information, thanks for sharing it. I have a few questions.

1. Casual is fine so dressing in nice jeans and a short sleeve button down should be ok? Am I overthinking dress code? I don't want to be overheated traipsing around NYC in a suit and tie if I don't have to, I'll save it for the show.

2. I don't know NYC very well, I'm taking a train arriving at 1:40 at Grand Central. Is that enough time for me to easily take subway over to Metropolis Studio by 3pm?

I don't have much new advice other than be yourself...

I was at LV audition and my friends who auditioned were dressed casual...the two guys I was with wore nice jeans/slacks and polo shirts. The two women wore slacks and nice tops.
I can't give you any advice for the travel times other than would give myself a LOT of time. That way you can talk to some of the other prospective contestants or walking around the neighborhood.
And since you are here, I would check out the previous year's transcripts since that's where the questions on the test seem to come from.

There are people here on the bored who might have better or more up to date advice.

But just relax and be yourself...and good luck!

kusch

#49 Post by kusch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Ssydd wrote:This thread was a great source of information, thanks for sharing it. I have a few questions.

I see from another thread you passed the written test at Foxwoods and now they do the video interview in NYC? Or did I miss something?

Ssydd

#50 Post by Ssydd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:34 pm

The written test was given at foxwoods but no interviews were given. We were encouraged to go to New York for the interviews but told if we couldn't we could audition over skype. The way this was expressed lead me to believe the chances of being selected over skype were much lower than the chances of being selected in person.