The "Boneys" Part Deux-The Songs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

The "Boneys" Part Deux-The Songs

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm

#75) Forever My Surfer Girl-Brian WIlson. Yeah, Brian's voice is not what it used to be. And his way with a lyric is suspect as well. But when this one gets to the chorus, it's Harmony Heaven.

#74) Cologne-Ben Folds. Pretty, haunting ballad.

#73) Wire & Sound-The New Atlantic. Power Pop. Bashing cymbals and lots of wee-oohs!!

#72) Lost Without You-The Backroom. Headboppin' 70's style pop with a swoony chorus.

#71) Love Remains the Same-Gavin Rossdale. Power ballad from the ex-Bush frontman aka Mr. Gwen Stefani.

#70) Sweet & Low-Augustana. Another midtempo ballad from the group that gave us the VH-1 staple "Boston".

#69) The Country Life-The SIlver Seas. "Doctor My Eyes" after a couple of beers.

#68) You Are The Best Thing-Ray LaMontagne. Gritty vocalist sounding like 70's Philly soul.

#67) I'm Scared-Duffy. Yeah, the Dusty Springfield influence is there, but she REALLY sounds like Lulu on this one. That's not an insult, by the way.

#66) Anywhere She Goes-Jeff Larson. Sounds like a song off an early America album. California pop. Nice.

#65) Fallin' Apart-All American Rejects. Quirky punctuation by a small string section and a sparkling female backing chorus take this standard pop outing to another level.

#64) 1, 2, 3, 4-Plain White T's. A spare, charming, innocent declaration of love.

#63) Grow Old With Me-Glen Campbell. John Lennon's beautiful song done quite nicely by Glen. Whereas John's version has taken on a sad vibe because of the knowledge that John never got to grow old, the 70-something Campbell's version is a hopeful reminder that, no matter how old we get, there are still memories to be made as long as we are alive.

#62) Broken-Lifehouse. Pretty song.

#61) You're A Wolf-SeaWolf. If you watched last year's Olympics, you heard this song, as it was featured in a car commercial that ran incessantly during the games. Kind of a spooky sounding understated rocker.

#60) The Time of My Life-David Cook. I usually hate the original song sung by the finalists on "American Idol", but Cook turns crap into something listenable here.

#59) Spoilin' For a Fight-AC/DC. Angus Young shows that, 30 years on, he can still crank out killer riffs. I'd also like to thank these guys for showing me that I can still headbang when properly motivated.

#58) When the Day Met the Night-Panic at the Disco. A nice horn section backs up this sprightly number from my favorite album of the year.

#57) I Can Float-BIllie Burke Estate. A keyboard riff "floats" in and out of the speakers in this interesting tune. The production values mar this quality song, though. Definitely an indie production. I'd like to hear what these guys could do with a bigger recording budget.

#56) This City (is Bound to Do Us In)-The Break & Repair Method. The Matchbox Twenty drummer fronts this side project and does quite nicely, especially with this upbeat, string quartet-accented pop ditty. He has a scratchy yet very pleasant voice.

#55) Don't Turn Back-The Afternoons. Like Eric Carmen fronting The Byrds.

#54) Did You Miss Me-Lindsay Buckingham. Buckingham's non-Fleetwood Mac recordings are usually more quirky and not as easily accessible. His latest is no exception. However, this one would've been right at home on "Tusk" or "Mirage". Very post-"Rumours" Mac-ish.

#53) Wake Up!-The Morning Light. Just what the title implies..a bright, sunny rooster-crowing call to get the hell out of bed and enjoy the day! An addicting falsetto chorus highlights.

#52) Champion-Queen Latifah. This one was part of the "Olympic soundtrack" highlighted last August. Powerful. Nice groove. I have long admired the Queen's persona (loved her in the "Hairspray" movie), but have never really cared much for her music. Until this song.

#51) Love That Girl-Raphael Saadiq. Wow. Is that Eddie Kendricks fronting The Temps on some long lost recording? Nope. It's Saadiq, from the Motown-styled "The Way I See It".

More to come...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: The "Boneys" Part Deux-The Songs

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm

#50) One Day Like This-Elbow. Slowly building, anthemic, full of bombast production. Made for headphones.

#49) Land of Canyons-All Day Sucker. Mott the Hoople meets Ziggy-era Bowie on the Sunset Strip. Christopher Walken would love this song, as it gives him all the cowbell he could possibly want.

#48) Come Back to Me-David Cook. "Light On" is ok, but this is my favorite track on the disc. Not quite as histrionic as "Light On".

#47) Shattered-O.A.R. A departure in style for this band. Nonetheless, a nice power ballad. Probably pissed a lot of their fans off, though.

#46) Won't Let Me Go-Amos Lee. Man, I love this guy's voice. Al Green would've killed to have had this song available to record back in '72. Really channels that Hi records sound.

#45) Here I Am (Come and Take Me)-Seal. Speaking of the Reverend Green, here's a nifty cover version by Mr. Heidi Klum. Cool song sung by a cool customer. Get yer groove on.

#44) Red to Rust-Jeff Larson. Sounds a lot like Glenn Frey on this banjo-accented "Peaceful Easy Feeling" type of song.

#43) Disaster Button-Snow Patrol. Much more known for those oh-so-sensitive quiet verse, loud chorus ballads, the Patrol dispenses with the restraints and just rocks out on this mover. They should do this more often.

#42) Love Song-Sara Bareilles. Pleasant little popper. If you watch VH-1 in the morning, you've seen this. Ad infinitum.

#41) You Think I Don't Care-Jack McManus. Pop wall-o-sound (think MeatLoaf's "You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth") complete with happy harmonies and handclap-filled, singalong choruses.

#40) Life in Technicolor II-Coldplay. This comes from the ep released recently as a supplement to "Viva La Vida". It takes the opening instrumental of "Viva" and adds lyrics and fleshes it out a bit more. Good call.

#39) I Wanted You Around-Three Hour Tour. Badfinger circa 1971. 'Nuff said.

#38) Burn My Bridges-The Beauty Room. I swear to you, if someone played this for me and told me it was a bonus, previously unreleased track on a new expanded edition of Steely Dan's "Aja", I wouldn't bat an eye and would be looking to order the disc immediately. Not only does it fit completely in with that style, the singer sounds amazingly like Donald Fagen! Highly recommended for fans of the Dan.

#37) Rush Across the Road-Joe Jackson. Pretty piano based tune with hints of The Left Banke's "Pretty Ballerina".

#36) The Joke's On Me-Jordan Zevon. Warren's son with a tight, crunchy guitar pop-rocker.

#35) I Saw the Size of the World-Frank Bango. A wide-eyed, bouncy little ditty that sounds like a number on the soundtrack of some alternate-universe Winnie-the-Pooh movie.

#34) Hello-Black Bunny. Hello, indeed. Punchy guitars in a style that has me looking for a top hat and cane so's I can dance along.

#33) This is Your Life-The Killers. Channeling Tears For Fears. Killer vocal effect runs through the background and provides the hook.

#32) This Town-O.A. R. Just a hint of reggae informs this personable party song.

#31) Join With Us-The Feeling. A call to arms for y'all to jump on the bandwagon. Big, singalong chorus that could go on for 10 minutes and I wouldn't mind.

#30) Big Bad World-Plain White T's. Goofy and fun.

#29) Better Days-Amos Lee. Just a man and his guitar in a soulful, ease-your-mind performance.

#28) Jenny-Click Five. Pure sugar-coated pop. The best kind of aural Milky Way bar. It'll make you feel 12 years old again.

#27) Take it Home-White Tie Affair. Dangerously close to Jonas Brothers territory, but the chorus is undeniably catchy and sticks in my head in a good way.

#26) Let it Rock-Kevin Rudolf featuring Lil' Wayne. Yup. By the time I realized that there was a rap in the middle of this song, it was too late..I was already hooked by this percolatin' midtempo rocker. The rest of the song is so good, I can even deal with..gasp..the rap!

Top 25 next
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Dang -- where do you find all this stuff, TBOne?

All of this stuff sounds like stuff I would like to listen to, but I have no idea where I'd find them.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Technical difficulties on that last post. Please stand by.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Dang -- where do you find all this stuff, TBOne?

All of this stuff sounds like stuff I would like to listen to, but I have no idea where I'd find them.
A lot of the Power Pop stuff I get from Not Lame.

http://www.notlame.com/

Some things I read about in ENtertainment Weekly. Others come from exploring Amazon.com (I also get free weekly downloads from them that have led to finding some things of interest). Then there's my granddaughter who helps me keep up on some of the newer things (although most of it is not to my tastes).
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:01 pm

OK, let's try again:

#25) It's So Fine-Pugwash. Hop in that rainbow-colored VW van and hit the road.

#24) Hopes-Derby. Think Kinks in their "Village Green Preservation" days. A wistful summer sigh.

#23) Lost-Coldplay. This has grown on me over time. I now "get it".

#22) Hiroshima (B-B-Benny Hit His Head)-Ben Folds. A song about the night when Folds fell off the stage and hit his head. Is it any wonder why I love this guy?

#21) And Then We Fell-Brian Van Der Ark. Gently sung ballad in 3/4 time. Very pretty.

#20) I Don't Care-Fall Out Boy. I wasn't as crazy about their newest album in comparison with the previous one. But THIS nasty little groover is terrific. Jungle drums, loud guitars and plenty of raise your fists "HEY"s! YEAH BABY!!

#19) Crush-David Archuletta. OK OK. I gave this kid plenty of grief in my reviews of last season's "American Idol". And I hate drum machines. But this song is undeniably catchy. Consider it my guilty pleasure. :oops: :oops: :oops:

#18) Behind the Sea-Panic at the Disco. Reminds me of a summer night at an ice cream social from days gone by. Yeah, my mind works in weird ways sometimes. Very creative arrangement.

#17) Walls-Glen Campbell. A Tom Petty song with a "Galveston" type arrangement. AND IT WORKS!!!

#16) Street Corner Preacher-Amos Lee. Mellow yet funky. Your butt will wiggle.

#15) Please Come In-Black Stone Cherry. A rocker in the style of Collective Soul married to a Led Zeppelin style riff. Someone in that band MUST be working on his 3rd copy of "Houses of the Holy".

#14) Hard Luck Tom-The Silver Seas. AN easygoing uptempo tune with an "oh well, whattya gonna do" vibe.

#13) Sing-Glen Campbell. Just a great song period. Originally by Travis, Campbell does a nice job on it. Close your eyes good.

#12) Forever-The Explorers Club. Carl and Dennis are no longer with us, and Brian, Mike and AL can't exist on the same stage together. So this group of young guys are doing their best to keep the summer alive. If you love "Don't Worry Baby", these aching harmonies will bring a nostalgic tear to your eye.

#11) Hollywood's Not America-Ferris. This bittersweet tune was used as the exit song for the early stages of last season's "American Idol".

Top Ten next.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:29 pm

#10) Shine On-The Kooks. Chinup, luv. The Kooks luv yer just the way yer are. This sounds like closing time at the pub to me. Which is appropriate since it's been used in a commercial for Michelob Ultra.Strum yer guitars and sing along, wontcher?

#9) Little Man-Brian Van Der Ark. Accoustic guitars ring out in a "Blackbird" kinda way as Brian offers some gently sung words of wisdom to a "little man".

#8) Chasing Pavements-Adele. I'm with ya on this one, Grammys. Another entry in the "daughters of Dusty Springfield" genre. Sleek and heartfelt.

#7) Human-The Killers. A mild techno beat underneath a supremely sweet and memorable chorus. You'll be hearing "are we human or are we dancers" in your head all day.

#6) Warwick Avenue-Duffy. The video, in which Duffy sits still on a bus and sings this song with tears running down her face, is devastating in its simple way. I wanted to reach out and hug the poor young lady, I felt so bad. Dusty would've been proud.

#5) Streetlight-Derby. I want to hit the repeat button as soon as this one ends. The perfect soundtrack for hitting the dragstrip or hanging ten. Power Pop at its absolute finest.

#4) You Don't Know Me-Ben Folds with Regina Spektor. Dischordant strings punctate this "all is not as it seems in paradise" tune. Adding to this is the fact that the song is sung by both parties in a chirpy, cheerful manner. This fits in perfectly with the premise of this song about lack of real communication.

#3) Right Here (Departed)-Brandy. Just as the number 3 entry on my album list was an unexpected surprise, so too is my #3 song. I don't think I've ever lked a Brandy song before, but this one is epic. Tight, gospel flavored harmonies accompany a soaring chorus that lifts up to the Heavens. Inspiring.

#2) Nine in the Afternoon-Panic at the Disco. Mix "Penny Lane" with the middle section of "A Day in the Life" and you get this piece of pop perfection. Fanfares of trumpets, chiming bells, an acapella break over a sea of handclaps..so much to hear in this one. A lot of thought went into creating this. Break out the headphones.

#1) Viva La Vida-Coldplay. Well, Joe Satriani claims that Coldplay ripped off the melody from one of his songs. I haven't heard his song, but if it's true, he's come up with a awesomely beautiful melody for Coldplay to rip off. Seriously, the staccato strings, beautifully performed vocal, lyrics..oh hell, everything about this song is terrific. One for the ages.

There ya go, for what it's worth. Thanks for indulging me. One final word in a minute.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Can't sign off without looking at the other side of the coin. 2008 saw another addition to my All-Time Hate Parade. Taking its place alongside such stomach-upsetting gems as "Macarena" and "I Love The Nightlife" is Beyonce's "Single Ladies". This enters the Hall of Shame based on the following criteria:

Its ubiquitous nature. Heard everywhere and anywhere. Co-workers' radios, blasting out of my granddaughter's room, on TV commercials, on "Saturday Night Live" parodies..there is no escaping it.

Everybody in the world seems to like it except me.

An equally annoying video. I saw my granddaughter dancing around a while back. I asked why she was imitating someone getting a colonoscopy standing up. She said it was the way they danced in the new Beonce video. Then I saw the video and realized that she had the dance down perfectly.

Worst of all, once you hear it...hell, once you even THINK about it..you cannot get that maddening "whuh-oh-oh, WHUH-oh-oh" outta your head for the next fifteen days, three hours and 32 minutes. Even writing about it now assures that I'll be hearing it in my sleep tonight.

I truly hate that song. And I know I'm in the minority. Dang you, Beyonce!!! :evil:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Out of the 75 songs you picked as your favorites of the past year, I have heard of #54 (I love anything Fleetwood Mac), #8 (Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal), and #1 (Record of the Year and Song of the Year).

Tocqueville3

#10 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:Can't sign off without looking at the other side of the coin. 2008 saw another addition to my All-Time Hate Parade. Taking its place alongside such stomach-upsetting gems as "Macarena" and "I Love The Nightlife" is Beyonce's "Single Ladies". This enters the Hall of Shame based on the following criteria:

Its ubiquitous nature. Heard everywhere and anywhere. Co-workers' radios, blasting out of my granddaughter's room, on TV commercials, on "Saturday Night Live" parodies..there is no escaping it.

An equally annoying video. I saw my granddaughter dancing around a while back. I asked why she was imitating someone getting a colonoscopy standing up. She said it was the way they danced in the new Beonce video. Then I saw the video and realized that she had the dance down perfectly.

Worst of all, once you hear it...hell, once you even THINK about it..you cannot get that maddening "whuh-oh-oh, WHUH-oh-oh" outta your head for the next fifteen days, three hours and 32 minutes. Even writing about it now assures that I'll be hearing it in my sleep tonight.

I truly hate that song. And I know I'm in the minority. Dang you, Beyonce!!! :evil:
Mr. Boney...I hate this song with a passion, too. I hear it on the radio and I can't change the station fast enough. It is boring and stupid. And that video! Ugh. It's terrible. I keep waiting for her to throw her hips outta whack. Talk about hip replacement.

I think I might be in the minority, too, when I say that I don't think Beyonce can sing all that good. Her voice is all over the place. Can the woman hold a note with out it going completely out of control?
"I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."
--George Costanza

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Out of the 75 songs you picked as your favorites of the past year, I have heard of #54 (I love anything Fleetwood Mac), #8 (Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal), and #1 (Record of the Year and Song of the Year).
It has been a long time since the Pop charts and I have had much of a relationship.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:Can't sign off without looking at the other side of the coin. 2008 saw another addition to my All-Time Hate Parade. Taking its place alongside such stomach-upsetting gems as "Macarena" and "I Love The Nightlife" is Beyonce's "Single Ladies". This enters the Hall of Shame based on the following criteria:

Mr. Boney...I hate this song with a passion, too. I hear it on the radio and I can't change the station fast enough. It is boring and stupid. And that video! Ugh. It's terrible. I keep waiting for her to throw her hips outta whack. Talk about hip replacement.

I think I might be in the minority, too, when I say that I don't think Beyonce can sing all that good. Her voice is all over the place. Can the woman hold a note with out it going completely out of control?
Not sure. But she's the very soul of restraint compared to Mariah Carey or CHristina Aguliera. SOmeone (It may even have been someone here, I can't remember) said that when they heard Xtina sing "The Christmas Song", when she got to the part "So I'm offering this simple phrase", it took her 17 notes to get through the word "phrase". I 'bout fell out of my chair on that one. As Homer Simpson says, "it's funny because it's true".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#13 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 pm

I can't really comment on TBone's since I don't know many of them (and Adele and Duffy grate on my last nerve), so here's

My 2008 Top Ten

1. So What - Pink

Pink can do no wrong in my book and this is her best one since U and Ur Hand.

2. Gives You Hell - All American Rejects

I love AAR and I'm a sucker for songs that have a group sing part backed up with nothing but drums.

3. Let It Rock - Kevin Rudolf f/Lil' Wayne

Oh, Tbone, don't you know that it's Wayne's World and we all just live in it? Ha!

4. Whatever You Like - TI

TI is smooth like Patron. And the Weird Al parody increases my enjoyment of this song.

5. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

It's sappy and it has a ukelele, but what's wrong with that?

6. Single Ladies - Beyonce

Yes, I dislike Beyonce intensely. Yes, I love this song. Yes, I get ribbed about it at every opportunity from everybody I know.

7. Shake It - Metro Station

It's kind of techno and repetitive, but in a good way. Plus it's a killer song for mash ups.

8. 4 Minutes - Madonna f/Justin Timberlake

I can't help it, Timbaland is a weakness of mine.

9. Fall for You - Secondhand Serenade

I never remember why I like this song until I hear it again. Then I'm like 'oh, yeah, that's why!"

10. Disturbia - Rihanna

I started out loving Take a Bow and hating Disturbia and it ended up exactly the opposite.

10a. In the Ayer - Flo-rida f/wIll.i.am

I guess it's technically a 2008 song, but there's a new version out that's sure to be close to the top of my 2009 song list.

Honourable Mention:

All Summer Long - Kid Rock

If for no other reason than it brought back my love of Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves of London and I found that that my brother's band does a killer medley of those two songs and has since before this even came out.
Push it real good!

NellyLunatic1980

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 am

Sisyphean Fan wrote:4. Whatever You Like - TI

TI is smooth like Patron. And the Weird Al parody increases my enjoyment of this song.

10a. In the Ayer - Flo-rida f/wIll.i.am

I guess it's technically a 2008 song, but there's a new version out that's sure to be close to the top of my 2009 song list.
I really like both of these songs. In fact, "In the Ayer" is the song that plays on the music player on my MySpace page.