Transcript 1/14/09: Rick Christie

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/14/09: Rick Christie

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Rick Christie
Carlisle, PA (In case you're wondering, it's in southcentral PA, not far from Harrisburg)
Account Executive

Rick is a single father of 3. They're now 16, 19 and 20, and he's been raising them alone since they were very young. The kids are in college now, and he needs some cash to help pay for it. But, besides being on the show for the money, he's also looking for a new love, since he's been single for 14 years.

Rick's category tree:

Snowed In
Climate Control
Word is Born
War Heroes
Rich Guys
Famous Curves
Ten Years Later
Sex Scandals
On the Sauce
Going Yard
Banned Substances
Pop Lyrics
On PBS
Frosty
High Waters

$100 (High Waters): A tidal wave is an extremely large and dangerous rush of water that forms where?
A. Pond B. Ocean
C. River D. Miss America's tear ducts
Spoiler
B. Ocean (8)
$200 (Frosty): What are Kellogg's Frosted Flakes frosted with?
A. Garlic powder B. Black pepper
C. Sugar D. Chili powder
Spoiler
C. Sugar (8)
$300 (On PBS): Generally speaking, the PBS program "Washington Week" features a roundtable discussion about what topic?
A. Movies B. Fashion
C. Politics D. Sports
Spoiler
C. Politics (8)
$500 (Pop Lyrics): "I'm lookin' through a girly magazine / And there's my...angel on the pages in between" is a lyric from what aptly titled '80s hit?
A. Sledgehammer B. Centerfold
C. Footloose D. Conga
Spoiler
Rick at first looked confused, and Meredith repeated the first line of the lyric before reminding him there were 4 seconds left.

B. Centerfold (1)
$1,000 (Banned Substances): HGH, the banned substance that got pitcher Roger Clemens into hot water in 2008, is what kind of "growth hormone"?
A. Holistic B. Hereditary
C. Hygienic D. Human
Spoiler
D. Human (8)
Meredith introduces the Expert, the Editor-in-Chief of "Self" magazine, Lucy Danziger.

$2,000 (Going Yard): What backyard game is played using a series of wire hoops called "wickets"?
A. Horseshoes B. Badminton
C. Croquet D. Tetherball
Spoiler
C. Croquet (23)
$4,000 (On the Sauce): Commonly made with basil, pine nuts, olive oil and cheese, what savory sauce derives its name from an Italian word meaning "to pound"?
A. Marinara B. Alfredo
C. Carbonara D. Pesto
Spoiler
Rick contemplates using a lifeline, but ends up answering in time, but barely.

D. Pesto (2)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Meredith says Rick is scaring her by going down to the wire on the clock, which is something Rick says he was worried about from the start, enough to make himself "sick".

$8,000 (Sex Scandals): In 2008, a high-profile sex scandal centered on the exposure of what elected official as "Client 9"?
A. New York governor B. Chicago mayor
C. U.S. Supreme Court justice D. California senator
Spoiler
A. New York governor (10)
$16,000 (Ten Years Later): In 2008, what movie was released on DVD in a 10th Anniversary Limited Edition with packaging resembling a bowling ball?
A. The Truman Show B. Liar Liar
C. The Big Lebowski D. The Full Monty

Rick chooses to ATA with 14 seconds left.
ATA results
A. The Truman Show - 4%
B. Liar, Liar - 1%
C. The Big Lebowski - 88%
D. The Full Monty - 7%
Spoiler
$25,000 (Famous Curves): A scientist would most likely mention the graph known as a "Keeling Curve" in a discussion about what?
A. Genetics B. Global warming
C. Human evolution D. Dinosaurs

Rick chooses to ATE (9).
ATE discussion
Lucy has never heard of the Keeling Curve. But she has studied genetics, and since she hasn't heard of it, it's probably not right. She's studied evolution and dinosaurs in school (a little), too, so she'd suggest Global Warming, since it's a recent thing, and the most likely to not be familiar to her.
After thinking for a few more seconds, he decides to PAF (3). Standing by are Rick's nephew-in-law, Sean (Hoboken, NJ); sister-in-law, Donna (South Salem, NY); and son, Patrick (Carlisle, PA). Rick chooses to call Sean.
PAF discussion
Rick spells "Keeling" when reading the question. Sean says it measures atmospheric carbon dioxide, but doesn't specify which answer it fits.
Spoiler
But Rick knew which it fit.

B. Global warming (1)
COMMERCIAL BREAK.

$50,000 (Rich Guys): According to a 2008 Forbes.com article, what city is home to the world's largest number of billionaires?
A. Tokyo B. Moscow
C. New York City D. Riyadh

Rick decides to DD (10). His first answer is:
Spoiler
C. New York City
which is incorrect.

He then guesses:
Spoiler
D. Riyadh (4)

....which is also incorrect.
The correct answer was
Spoiler
B. Moscow
Rick leaves with $25,000.

Thousandaire

Re: Transcript 1/14/09: Rick Christie

#2 Post by Thousandaire » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Actually, tidal waves (not tsunamis) usually occur in rivers, but I'll let them off the hook, this time.

I suspected the most billionaires were in Moscow. Long live Comrade Putin!

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Thousandaire wrote: I suspected the most billionaires were in Moscow. Long live Comrade Putin!
Hmmmm. I've been wondering about your new choice of avatars...

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Snowed In
Climate Control
Word is Born
War Heroes
Rich Guys
Famous Curves
Ten Years Later
Sex Scandals
On the Sauce
Going Yard
Banned Substances
Pop Lyrics
On PBS
Frosty
High Waters
About the only high-level category I'm comfortable with is Word Is Born.

$25K: Perfect question for the Phone-A-Friend.

$50K: Evil question. I never in my life would've guessed Moscow, regardless of its recent financial boom. The first answer that popped into my head before the choices were revealed was Riyadh, so I would've immediately locked that in.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rick Christie
Carlisle, PA (In case you're wondering, it's in southcentral PA, not far from Harrisburg)
Account Executive
Thank you for clarifying that - wouldn't want to confuse him with a WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Pop Lyrics): "I'm lookin' through a girly magazine / And there's my...angel on the pages in between" is a lyric from what aptly titled '80s hit?
A. Sledgehammer B. Centerfold
C. Footloose D. Conga
Spoiler
Rick at first looked confused, and Meredith repeated the first line of the lyric before reminding him there were 4 seconds left.

B. Centerfold (1)
This is the first of several times when TDC almost claimed him. Further comment later on.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (On the Sauce): Commonly made with basil, pine nuts, olive oil and cheese, what savory sauce derives its name from an Italian word meaning "to pound"?
A. Marinara B. Alfredo
C. Carbonara D. Pesto
Spoiler
Rick contemplates using a lifeline, but ends up answering in time, but barely.

D. Pesto (2)
Once again Rick flirts with disaster.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith says Rick is scaring her by going down to the wire on the clock, which is something Rick says he was worried about from the start, enough to make himself "sick".
At least Rick has been honest about the clock and its effect on him.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (Famous Curves): A scientist would most likely mention the graph known as a "Keeling Curve" in a discussion about what?
A. Genetics B. Global warming
C. Human evolution D. Dinosaurs

Rick chooses to ATE (9).
ATE discussion
Lucy has never heard of the Keeling Curve. But she has studied genetics, and since she hasn't heard of it, it's probably not right. She's studied evolution and dinosaurs in school (a little), too, so she'd suggest Global Warming, since it's a recent thing, and the most likely to not be familiar to her.
Surprisingly sound reasoning from this expert.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
PAF discussion
Rick spells "Keeling" when reading the question. Sean says it measures atmospheric carbon dioxide, but doesn't specify which answer it fits.
Spoiler
But Rick knew which it fit.

B. Global warming (1)
Presumably Sean looked this up, from the way he presented the answer. As for me, I'd be PAFing right away.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 (Rich Guys): According to a 2008 Forbes.com article, what city is home to the world's largest number of billionaires?
A. Tokyo B. Moscow
C. New York City D. Riyadh

Rick decides to DD (10). His first answer is:
Spoiler
C. New York City
which is incorrect.

He then guesses:
Spoiler
D. Riyadh (4)

....which is also incorrect.
The correct answer was
Spoiler
B. Moscow
And because I used the PAF on the previous question I'm probably gone on this one. Even if I used the Double Dip neither of my choices would have been the correct answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:24 am

I'm clean to $25K, but, as a scientist myself, am embarrassed to admit I've never heard of the Keeling curve. Googling PAF immediately.

Knew the $50K immediately. I recall the article and the oddity of the top city stuck. I'm not surprised it turned up as a question. So looking at the $100K with three LLs left, although ATA isn't likely to be much use at those levels.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

George Fox
Merry Man

#7 Post by George Fox » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 am

Hey, I'm a rich guy, but did I get in that category, noooo!
If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Administrator for help.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 am

Here's another promo I missed about yesterday's episode:

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/p ... xml&coll=1
While the tryouts didn't turn out to be too difficult, the coaching leading up to the show proved to be a bit tricky.

"You have to fill out an eight-page questionnaire, tell anecdotal stories ... find out lifelines would be," he said. "The easy part was auditioning. The hard part was the follow-up, signing waivers."
Ha. Tell me I passed an audition and you can coach me however you want, APs.*

*Which is still not saying I'll reinvent my persona and my stories to fit your favored mold. But go ahead and coach! :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:53 am

George Fox wrote:Hey, I'm a rich guy, but did I get in that category, noooo!
Heck, George, it's not like they mentioned your name or anything!