Transcript 12/5/2008 - Kaisie Nootenboom (carryove

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/5/2008 - Kaisie Nootenboom (carryove

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Kaisie Nootenboom
Sacramento, CA
Stay-at-home mom

Topic tree:
- The Patent Office
- Timing is Everything
- Family Trees
- Hit the Slopes
- Playful Lyrics
- Celebrity Chimps
- The North Face
- As Seen On TV
- Who Said That?
- Big Words
- Take a Peek
- Bring Your Appetite
- USA Today
- Ch-Ch-Changes
- Ahoy, Matey

Kaisie is in NYC and on the East Coast for the first time. Meredith remarks on her last name; it's a Dutch name that translates as "nut tree". We get to see a photo of Kasie's son Ari. He's walking and talking and his vocabulary is exploding.

$500 - At Denny's and many other restaurants, a hearty breakfast of pancakes, eggs and various meats is called a what?
A - lumberjack
B - cab driver
C - fisherman
D - meter maid
Spoiler
A - lumberjack (5)
$1K - Where would you find a widow's peak?
A - in a garden
B - on a loaf of bread
C - in a graveyard
D - on someone's hairline
Spoiler
D - on someone's hairline (8)
Kaisie has now earned the Ask the Expert lifeline. Today's expert is former $100K winner Tom Spencer in Dublin, OH. He's been having fun as the expert. He recently took an online IQ test and scored as a creative, theorist master genius.

$2K - Which of these events occurs quadrennially?
A - Summer Olympics
B - U.S. Census
C - vernal equinox
D - Oktoberfest
Spoiler
Katie isn't sure so with 8 seconds left she decides to use a lifeline and ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 76%
B - 11%
C - 11%
D - 2%

Kaisie still isn't sure so with 5 seconds left she opts to use her Double Dip. She makes A her first final answer and discovers that the audience was right.

A - Summer Olympics (5)
commercial break

$4K - The historic quote "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" was reportedly uttered by a British-born journalist who was also a famous what?
A - inventor
B - explorer
C - surgeon
D - painter
Spoiler
Kaisie just isn't sure so with 17 seconds left she uses her Ask the Expert lifeline. Tom says that Livingstone was an explorer and says that's the word from a creative theorist master genius. His certainty level is in the upper 90s. Kaisie goes along with his answer.

B - explorer (15)
$8K - In the 2008 movie "Get Smart", Steve Carell plays bumbling spy Maxwell Smart, a role originally played on TV by whom?
A - Bob Denver
B - Dick York
C - Don Adams
D - Bob Crane
Spoiler
Kaisie hates to do it but with 14 seconds left she uses her last lifeline. Her PAF list includes Emily, her mother's best friend, from Citrus Heights, CA; her husband Matt in Sacramento; and her former pastor, Paul, also from Sacramento. She chooses to call her husband. Kaisie asks Matt "Who originated the role of Maxwell Smart?" Matt thinks it's Don Adams. He's pretty sure but doesn't have time to explain more. Kaisie makes C her final answer.

C - Don Adams (6)
$16K - Rising nearly 5,000 feet above the valley below, the granite mass known as Half Dome is an iconic attraction at what national park?
A - Yellowstone
B - Grand Teton
C - Death Valley
D - Yosemite
Spoiler
Kaisie says "it's true, you either know it or you don't and I don't" so she elects to walk away.

D - Yosemite (8)
commercial break

clem21
Nose Exploder

Re: Transcript 12/5/2008 - Kaisie Nootenboom (carryover)

#2 Post by clem21 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A - Summer Olympics
B - U.S. Census
C - vernal equinox
D - Oktoberfest
Spoiler
Katie isn't sure so with 8 seconds left she decides to use a lifeline and ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 76%
B - 11%
C - 11%
D - 2%

Kaisie still isn't sure so with 5 seconds left she opts to use her Double Dip. She makes A her first final answer and discovers that the audience was right.

A - Summer Olympics (5)
Let it be noted that there were audience members who actually booed Kaisie when she decided to Double Dip and IMHO opinion she deserved it. Good for the audience for expressing their disapproval. Hotseatitis or not, even if for some reason you're not sure, those audience numbers were strong enough.
$4K - The historic quote "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" was reportedly uttered by a British-born journalist who was also a famous what?
A - inventor
B - explorer
C - surgeon
D - painter
Spoiler
Kaisie just isn't sure so she uses her Ask the Expert lifeline. Tom says that Livingstone was an explorer and says that's the word from a creative theorist master genius. His certainty level is in the upper 90s. Kaisie goes along with his answer.

B - explorer (15)
Is it just me or Did Tom dodge a major bullet here? The question seems to be referring to H.M. Stanley who said the actual quote in question. It sounded like Tom misread the question and thought it was asking about Dr. Livingstone's profession. Luckily for both him and Kaisie, Stanley WAS an explorer as well. What were other people's impressions here?
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

doitneatly

#3 Post by doitneatly » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am

Yes I agree, Tom didn't seem to catch the thrust of the question; but luckily for Kaisie his answer was still in the ballpark.

I found that to be a pretty obscure $4k question... it's one thing to pose a question that requires knowing that Livingstone was a missionary in Africa, but to know the profession of "the other guy" involved in that famous quote? Certainly not an impossible question, nor is it an unguessable one, but a WWOQ at this level I'd say.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

chad1m

#4 Post by chad1m » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:13 am

clem21 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2K - Which of these events occurs quadrennially?
A - Summer Olympics
B - U.S. Census
C - vernal equinox
D - Oktoberfest
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 76%
B - 11%
C - 11%
D - 2%

A - Summer Olympics (5)
Yeah, I was really shocked to see she Double Dipped after a 3/4 decision from the Audience. Oh well, it's her lifelines I guess.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

15QuestionsAway

#5 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 am

17 seconds left when she used ATE on question 7.
Shameless self promotion:
wwtbam.biz - giving WWTBAM the business (returning soon!)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/5/2008 - Kaisie Nootenboom (carryove

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 am

I wonder if MBFFB® watched this contestant. He would have a field day with her. Either she had a severe case of Hotseatitis or she's a total airhead.

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kaisie Nootenboom
Sacramento, CA
Stay-at-home mom

Kaisie is in NYC and on the East Coast for the first time. Meredith remarks on her last name; it's a Dutch name that translates as "nut tree". We get to see a photo of Kasie's son Ari. He's walking and talking and his vocabulary is exploding.
Cute kid, but isn't this a game show?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kaisie has now earned the Ask the Expert lifeline. Today's expert is former $100K winner Tom Spencer in Dublin, OH. He's been having fun as the expert. He recently took an online IQ test and scored as a creative, theorist master genius.
Anyone know where this online test is located?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - Which of these events occurs quadrennially?
A - Summer Olympics
B - U.S. Census
C - vernal equinox
D - Oktoberfest
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 76%
B - 11%
C - 11%
D - 2%

A - Summer Olympics (5)
She gets 76% for the right answer and still isn't sure? That's more than some people get and go with.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - The historic quote "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" was reportedly uttered by a British-born journalist who was also a famous what?
A - inventor
B - explorer
C - surgeon
D - painter
Spoiler
Kaisie just isn't sure so with 17 seconds left she uses her Ask the Expert lifeline. Tom says that Livingstone was an explorer and says that's the word from a creative theorist master genius. His certainty level is in the upper 90s. Kaisie goes along with his answer.

B - explorer (15)
If one knows the background behind this alleged quote, the answer is obvious. However I think Tom may have misunderstood the question, so it's a good thing that the "creative theorist genius" came up with the right answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In the 2008 movie "Get Smart", Steve Carell plays bumbling spy Maxwell Smart, a role originally played on TV by whom?
A - Bob Denver
B - Dick York
C - Don Adams
D - Bob Crane
Spoiler
Kaisie hates to do it but with 14 seconds left she uses her last lifeline. Her PAF list includes Emily, her mother's best friend, from Citrus Heights, CA; her husband Matt in Sacramento; and her former pastor, Paul, also from Sacramento. She chooses to call her husband. Kaisie asks Matt "Who originated the role of Maxwell Smart?" Matt thinks it's Don Adams. He's pretty sure but doesn't have time to explain more. Kaisie makes C her final answer.

C - Don Adams (6)
Kaisie is young enough that perhaps she has never seen the show or any of its reruns.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Rising nearly 5,000 feet above the valley below, the granite mass known as Half Dome is an iconic attraction at what national park?
A - Yellowstone
B - Grand Teton
C - Death Valley
D - Yosemite
Spoiler
Kaisie says "it's true, you either know it or you don't and I don't" so she elects to walk away.

D - Yosemite (8)
OK, she's never been to NYC or the East Coast but Sacramento isn't all that far from Yosemite, and it is an "iconic attraction". I can't understand why she didn't know this one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am

doitneatly wrote:Yes I agree, Tom didn't seem to catch the thrust of the question; but luckily for Kaisie his answer was still in the ballpark.

I found that to be a pretty obscure $4k question... it's one thing to pose a question that requires knowing that Livingstone was a missionary in Africa, but to know the profession of "the other guy" involved in that famous quote? Certainly not an impossible question, nor is it an unguessable one, but a WWOQ at this level I'd say.
It would have been harder if they'd asked what profession the "explorer" Stanley was.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 am

clem21 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A - Summer Olympics
B - U.S. Census
C - vernal equinox
D - Oktoberfest
Spoiler

ATA results:
A - 76%
B - 11%
C - 11%
D - 2%

A - Summer Olympics (5)
Let it be noted that there were audience members who actually booed Kaisie when she decided to Double Dip and IMHO opinion she deserved it. Good for the audience for expressing their disapproval. Hotseatitis or not, even if for some reason you're not sure, those audience numbers were strong enough.
I noticed some sound after her decision to ATA and after her decision to DD. Was that booing or just groaning?

As a bitter, frustrated, multiple-time auditioner, I've often had to suppress my true emotions when Meredith and a contestant are chatting about some inane hook or a contestant is doing poorly but still getting the usual compliments from Mere. But I clap, because that's the audience's job. :roll:
clem21 wrote:
A - inventor
B - explorer
C - surgeon
D - painter
Spoiler
Kaisie just isn't sure so she uses her Ask the Expert lifeline. Tom says that Livingstone was an explorer and says that's the word from a creative theorist master genius. His certainty level is in the upper 90s. Kaisie goes along with his answer.

B - explorer (15)
Is it just me or Did Tom dodge a major bullet here? The question seems to be referring to H.M. Stanley who said the actual quote in question. It sounded like Tom misread the question and thought it was asking about Dr. Livingstone's profession. Luckily for both him and Kaisie, Stanley WAS an explorer as well. What were other people's impressions here?
I noticed the same thing. But at this level, what else could Stanley have been, to have discovered the lost Dr. Livingstone?

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:37 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Rising nearly 5,000 feet above the valley below, the granite mass known as Half Dome is an iconic attraction at what national park?
A - Yellowstone
B - Grand Teton
C - Death Valley
D - Yosemite
Spoiler

D - Yosemite (8)
OK, she's never been to NYC or the East Coast but Sacramento isn't all that far from Yosemite, and it is an "iconic attraction". I can't understand why she didn't know this one.
If she's ever traveled outside her hometown at all, she should have seen Yosemite.

mom2five

#11 Post by mom2five » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 am

I was cringing the whole time I was watching this contestant! She's from Sacramento, so she most likely did the test/interview at the Jackson Rancheria, same as myself, and all I could think was, why her and not me!

Double dipping after the ATA gave her 76%, I mean come on, "quad" = 4, Olympics, every 4 years....

Marley, can I borrow a <grumble>??? :x

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

mom2five wrote:I was cringing the whole time I was watching this contestant! She's from Sacramento, so she most likely did the test/interview at the Jackson Rancheria, same as myself, and all I could think was, why her and not me!
You probably matched her in the cute kid photo competition, but she had that delighful last name. Which should have been pronounced with a Minnesotan-Alaskan accent, for full effect...
mom2five wrote:Marley, can I borrow a <grumble>??? :x
Absolutely!

<grumble>®

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
A - Yellowstone
B - Grand Teton
C - Death Valley
D - Yosemite
Spoiler

D - Yosemite (8)
If she's ever traveled outside her hometown at all, she should have seen Yosemite.
I'll bet she doesn't even know where the famous Nut Tree Restaurant is.
Spoiler
Vacaville
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote: I'll bet she doesn't even know where the famous Nut Tree Restaurant is.
Spoiler
Vacaville
What's it famous for?

Thousandaire

#15 Post by Thousandaire » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Famous mostly to locals, and people over a certain age (like me):

http://www.alamedainfo.com/nut_tree_CA.htm

Winnamill

#16 Post by Winnamill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Okay, this is a bit late (haven't been able to fool around much lately), but I just have to say that she should have her CA citizenship REVOKED for not knowing where Half Dome is. :roll: I've only lived in CA for 22 years (not my entire life as she has), and this was an easy question for a West Coaster. If she was from east of the Mississippi, I could perhaps have excused her.

Winnamill

#17 Post by Winnamill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:47 pm

I realize this is a bit late (I haven't been able to fool around much lately), but I think she should have her CA citizenship REVOKED for not knowing where Half Dome is located. :roll: I've only lived in CA for 22 years, not my entire life as she has, and I would have no problem knowing it is Yosemite. If she lived east of the Mississippi, I could have given her a bit of an excuse, but this is practically like not knowing where Old Faithful is located. And it was compounded by the silly play she had on several of her other questions. End of rant.