Transcript 12/01/08 Dawn Espy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/01/08 Dawn Espy

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:06 pm

Dawn Espy
Detroit, MI
Recent Vanderbilt graduate

Research volunteer at a psychology lab at Loyola Univ-Chicago
Wants an M.A., PH.D, and to become a professor in psychology

Her mom and her brother are in the audience

Program interrupted by a NBC News break to let us know the stock market is down.

Topic Tree:

The Barking Dog
Place of Honor
That Old Chestnut
Happy-Go-Lucky
Wild Things
Far Away Places
Big Country
For the Birds
Seinfeld
Gag Me with a Spoon
Faking It
It’s Electric!
Peanuts
Hot Mic
Look to the Sky

$100- In the Earth's atmosphere, which of the following are known to reach temperatures of over 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit?
A. Snowflakes B. Lightning Bolts
C. Icicles D. Space shuttle Tater Tots
Spoiler
B. Lightning Bolts (5)
$200- In the term "open mic night," which refers to a popular form of live entertainment, "mic" is short for what?
A. Microwave B. Microscope
C. Microphone D. Microbiology
Spoiler
C. Microphone (7)
$300- In the comic strip Peanuts, which character is typically depicted surrounded by clouds of dirt and dust?
A. Schroeder B. Peppermint Patty
C. Marcle D. Pigpen
Spoiler
D. Pigpen (9)
$500- Household appliances that continue to "suck" electricity even when they're turned off are often referred to as what?
A. Mummies B. Werewolves
C. Frankensteins D. Vampires
Spoiler
D. Vampires (7)
$1K In a 2008 article, which of these TV personalities did the New York Times refer to as a “fake news anchor”?
A. Dan Rather
B. Jon Stewart
C. Tom Brokaw
D. Brian Williams
Spoiler
B. Jon Stewart (9)
Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Jeff Gross, “Millionaire” $500K winner and our own BB, 15QuestionsAway.

Meredith comments on the “Millionaire” motif of the room where Jeff is located. There are several pictures of Jeff in the Hot Seat and some framed checks.
She then says that there is something special about Jeff’s chair.
Jeff tells us that the chair is from the Play It attraction at Walt Disney World.

$2K Where does a piece of food go if it has gone “down the wrong pipe”?
A. Gall bladder
B. Aorta
C. Trachea
D. Small intestine
Spoiler
C. Trachea (23)
$4K On “Seinfeld,” who frequently barges into Jerry’s place unexpectedly form the apartment across the hall?
A. Kramer
B. Elaine
C. George
D. Newman
Spoiler
A. Kramer (22)
commercial break

$8K By definition, a granivorous bird eats which of the following things?
A. Berries
B. Insects
C. Worms
D. Seeds

ATA (20)

5% A. Berries
12% B. Insects
14% C. Worms
69% D. Seeds

Spoiler
D. Seeds (15)
$16K “Beer for My Horses” and “I Love This Bar” are songs featured on “35 Biggest Hits,” a 2008 album by what country star?
A. Tim McGraw
B. Alan Jackson
C. Toby Keith
D. Dwight Yoakam
Spoiler
C. Toby Keith (21)
$25K Montevideo is the capital of what country?
A. Suriname
B. Uruguay
C. Honduras
D. Belize

PAF (17)

Dawn’s PAF team:

Peggy from Granger, IN – Dawn’s cousin
Josh from Ferndale, MI – a friend
Walter from Detroit, MI – Dawn’s father

PAF – Walter

Walter says he doesn’t know.

ATE (12)

Jeff tells Dawn that today is her lucky day. Jeff asks Dawn what she thinks it is and Dawn says I don't know I was thinking Latin America Uruguay or Belize.

He says she doesn’t need to use her DD or even think about the question, just go and get the money, honey. The answer is Uruguay.

Dawn: Are you sure?

Jeff: I am 175,000% sure. Yes.

Spoiler
B. Uruguay (9)
commercial break

$50K A hellbender is a variety of what animal?
A. Snail
B. Spider
C. Salamander
D. Squid

DD (31)

Dawn’s first guess is correct.

Spoiler
C. Salamander (31)
$100K According to a survey released by the National Science Foundation in 2008, what nation’s residents are the happiest on earth?
A. Iceland
B. Sweden
C. Canada
D. Denmark

Dawn says she lives near Canada and that she believes she would have heard more about the survey if it had been Canada.

Dawn decides to leave with $50K.

Spoiler
D. Denmark (3)
commercial break

Answers:
$100 B. Lightning Bolts
$200 C. Microphone
$300 D. Pigpen
$500 D. Vampires
$1K B. Jon Stewart
$2K C. Trachea
$4K A. Kramer
$8K D. Seeds
$16K C. Toby Keith
$25K C. Uruguay
$50K C. Salamander
$100K D. Denmark

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 12/01/08 Dawn Espy

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:The Barking Dog
Place of Honor
That Old Chestnut
Happy-Go-Lucky
Wild Things
Far Away Places
Big Country
For the Birds
Seinfeld
Gag Me with a Spoon
Faking It
It’s Electric!
Peanuts
Hot Mic
Look to the Sky
Pretty good stack... though I'm not too good with birds.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K In a 2008 article, which of these TV personalities did the New York Times refer to as a “fake news anchor”?
A. Dan Rather
B. Jon Stewart
C. Tom Brokaw
D. Brian Williams
E. Sean Hannity

$16K: Whoa... I wasn't expecting a country music question here. I've never heard of either of these songs, so I better ask the audience.

$100K: $25,000 of my money would've gone bye-bye. I would've Double Dipped on Iceland and Sweden.

slam

#3 Post by slam » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 pm

Within the past 6 months I saw a 60 Minutes segment on Denmark being the happiest country.

I would have gambled on "granivorous" having something to do with grains. But I would then have had to use my ATA on the country music question (a major weakness of mine).

I'd expect Jeff to do well as an ATE. Knowing a random country capital was a good litmus test for him. No self-respecting game show type would be taken down by not knowing a national capital.

That a "hellbender" is a salamander is another one of those basic facts that any trivia geek should know.
Last edited by slam on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#4 Post by clem21 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:20 pm

I was proud of myself today, I knew the 25K, 50K and 100K questions straight up because I'd read about them both.

Of course I didn't know 4K, 8K, or 16K but ya can't win 'em all
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 pm

slam wrote:No self-respecting game show type would be taken down by not knowing a national capital.
Speak for yourself. It depends on the capital. I missed Malabo at a recent pub quiz and I still respected myself the next morning. I'd have a harder time respecting myself if I missed Montevideo. I agree that world capitals should be a high priority for any game show contestant to study.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:03 am

slam wrote:I'd expect Todd to do well as an ATE. Knowing a random country capital was a good litmus test for him. No self-respecting game show type would be taken down by not knowing a national capital.
Who's Todd?

slam

#7 Post by slam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 am

Estonut wrote:
slam wrote:I'd expect Todd to do well as an ATE. Knowing a random country capital was a good litmus test for him. No self-respecting game show type would be taken down by not knowing a national capital.
Who's Todd?
Oops! (edited now)

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Dawn Espy
Detroit, MI
Recent Vanderbilt graduate

Research volunteer at a psychology lab at Loyola Univ-Chicago
Wants an M.A., PH.D, and to become a professor in psychology

Her mom and her brother are in the audience

Program interrupted by a NBC News break to let us know the stock market is down.
This is news??
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Jeff Gross, “Millionaire” $500K winner and our own BB, 15QuestionsAway.
Looking good, Jeff!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith comments on the “Millionaire” motif of the room where Jeff is located. There are several pictures of Jeff in the Hot Seat and some framed checks.
Jeff tells us that the chair is from the Play It attraction at Walt Disney World.[/i]
I hadn't realized Jeff managed to get ahold of one of those.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K “Beer for My Horses” and “I Love This Bar” are songs featured on “35 Biggest Hits,” a 2008 album by what country star?
A. Tim McGraw
B. Alan Jackson
C. Toby Keith
D. Dwight Yoakam
Spoiler
C. Toby Keith (21)
No idea, and I'd be wondering if a NYC audience would know enough about country music to answer it. But I'd go with ATA anyway and hope.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K Montevideo is the capital of what country?
A. Suriname
B. Uruguay
C. Honduras
D. Belize

PAF (17)

Dawn’s PAF team:

Peggy from Granger, IN – Dawn’s cousin
Josh from Ferndale, MI – a friend
Walter from Detroit, MI – Dawn’s father

PAF – Walter

Walter says he doesn’t know.

ATE (12)

Jeff tells Dawn that today is her lucky day. Jeff asks Dawn what she thinks it is and Dawn says I don't know I was thinking Latin America Uruguay or Belize.

He says she doesn’t need to use her DD or even think about the question, just go and get the money, honey. The answer is Uruguay.

Dawn: Are you sure?

Jeff: I am 175,000% sure. Yes.

Spoiler
B. Uruguay (9)
No offense to Jeff but this is one of the easiest $25K questions I've seen in a while. (Yes, I know that they're all easy if you know them.) Good for Jeff in selling the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50K A hellbender is a variety of what animal?
A. Snail
B. Spider
C. Salamander
D. Squid

DD (31)

Dawn’s first guess is correct.

Spoiler
C. Salamander (31)
Medieval bestiaries associated salamanders with fire, which is how I knew the answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100K According to a survey released by the National Science Foundation in 2008, what nation’s residents are the happiest on earth?
A. Iceland
B. Sweden
C. Canada
D. Denmark

Dawn says she lives near Canada and that she believes she would have heard more about the survey if it had been Canada.

Dawn decides to leave with $50K.

Spoiler
D. Denmark (3)
No idea again, but I'm pretty sure it's either Sweden or Denmark, so use the Double Dip with those as my answers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Meredith introduces today’s ATE, Jeff Gross, “Millionaire” $500K winner and our own BB, 15QuestionsAway.

Meredith comments on the “Millionaire” motif of the room where Jeff is located. There are several pictures of Jeff in the Hot Seat and some framed checks.
Jeff tells us that the chair is from the Play It attraction at Walt Disney World.
Nice to see you in the ATE Hot Seat, Jeff, and I like your WWTBAM shrine! Am I right in thinkin that the pictures behind you showed you on the British version of the show with Chris Tarrant, instead on on SyndieBAM with Meredith. We know you were on both, but Mere didn't mention that fact.

And did TPTB send a nun over to your house to scold you into sitting up straight? You looked very uncomfortable sitting there! :P

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#10 Post by secondchance » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Nice to see you in the ATE Hot Seat, Jeff, and I like your WWTBAM shrine! Am I right in thinkin that the pictures behind you showed you on the British version of the show with Chris Tarrant, instead on on SyndieBAM with Meredith. We know you were on both, but Mere didn't mention that fact.

And did TPTB send a nun over to your house to scold you into sitting up straight? You looked very uncomfortable sitting there! :P
I have a feeling that Jeff had the skype camera placed at a low angle in order to capture the photos on the wall, then sat in a way trying to fit into the frame while not blocking them...