Transcript 10/22/08: Judy Kay Frome

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/22/08: Judy Kay Frome

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Judy Kay Frome
Las Vegas, NV
4th Grade teacher

Grew up milking cows for 20 years, became a stay-at-home mom to her 5 kids, then decided at age 40 to go back to school to become a teacher. Judy teaches writing, and likes the kids to sum up their work with a closing statement. One kid, in a report on vultures ended his paper, "Vultures are important birds. Without them, the world would be covered with dead meat."

[Ed. note: How true. But Evil Squirrel would be happy to quit being a vegetarian.]

Judy's category tree:

Cold Hard Cash
The Robe
What to Wear?
Folk Heroes
What's in a Name?
Microsoft Word
Whales
Miss Education
Fruit
High School Flicks
Web Sites
Playing the Numbers
Office Supplies
Kiss Me, I'm Irish
Apply Yourself

$100 (Apply Yourself): Which of the following would most likely prevent a student from "flunking out" of school?
A: Playing on sports teams B: Acing tests
C: Getting an after-school job D: Bribing the teacher
Spoiler
B: Acing tests (6)
$200 (Kiss Me, I'm Irish): In 2008, St. Patrick's Day came three days before the first day of what season?
A: Spring B: Summer
C: Fall D: Winter
Spoiler
A: Spring (9)
$300 (Office Supplies): Which of these items does Staples list on its Web site under the heading "Correction Supplies"?
A: Rubber bands B: Envelopes
C: Erasers D: Paper clips
Spoiler
C: Erasers (8)
$500 (Playing the Numbers): Though it refers to a large quantity of something, which of these words is not the name for an actual number?
A: Thirteen B: Fifteen
C: Umpteen D: Nineteen
Spoiler
C: Umpteen (9)
$1,000 (Web Sites): JuicyCampus.com is a controversial gossip web site for and about what people?
A: Musicians B: Airline pilots
C: Health care professionals D: College students
Spoiler
D; College students (8)
$2,000 (High School Flicks): In the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," an extremely boring teacher memorably makes which of these queries?
A: And?...And? B: Anyone?...Anyone?
C: Questions?...Questions? D: Hello?...Hello?

Even though she says she's seen it many times, Judy needs to ATA with 19 seconds left, because she's not sure.

A: And?...And? 4%
B: Anyone?...Anyone? 77%
C: Questions?...Questions? 11%
D: Hello?...Hello? 8%
Spoiler
B: Anyone?...Anyone? (16)
Meredith reminds Judy that the boring teacher was played by Ben Stein.

$4,000 (Fruit): The large starchy fruit produced by the tropical tree Artocarpus altilis is known as what?
A: Breadfruit B: Eggfruit
C: Cheesefruit D: Butterfruit
Spoiler
A: Breadfruit (23)
THE HORN sounds. Judy will be back tomorrow to go for $8,000 with 3 lifelines remaining.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 10/22/08: Judy Kay Frome

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:26 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Judy Cold Hard Cash
The Robe
What to Wear?
Folk Heroes
What's in a Name?
Microsoft Word
Whales
Miss Education
Fruit
High School Flicks
Web Sites
Playing the Numbers
Office Supplies
Kiss Me, I'm Irish
Apply Yourself
I'm not exactly sure what to make of these subjects at first glance.

But I'm nihil obstat®so far.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Judy Kay Frome
Las Vegas, NV
4th Grade teacher

Grew up milking cows for 20 years, became a stay-at-home mom to her 5 kids, then decided at age 40 to go back to school to become a teacher. Judy teaches writing, and likes the kids to sum up their work with a closing statement. One kid, in a report on vultures ended his paper, "Vultures are important birds. Without them, the world would be covered with dead meat."
Gotta admire someone who can go through three different careers like that, especially being willing to teach after staying at home with five children.

Her stack would have been nihil obstat® for me.
Last edited by earendel on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#4 Post by slam » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2,000 (High School Flicks): In the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," an extremely boring teacher memorably makes which of these queries?
A: And?...And? B: Anyone?...Anyone?
C: Questions?...Questions? D: Hello?...Hello?

Even though she says she's seen it many times, Judy needs to ATA with 19 seconds left, because she's not sure.

Meredith reminds Judy that the boring teacher was played by Ben Stein.
How can someone who's seen this movie many times not remember Ben Stein's voice saying this line? What a case of Hot Seat nerves!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000 (Fruit): The large starchy fruit produced by the tropical tree Artocarpus altilis is known as what?
A: Breadfruit B: Eggfruit
C: Cheesefruit D: Butterfruit
Spoiler
A: Breadfruit (23)
THE HORN sounds. Judy will be back tomorrow to go for $8,000 with 3 lifelines remaining.
I don't know if B, C and D are actual fruits or just made up, but certainly only A sounds familiar to me. In fact, I remember specifically hearing about it for the first time when I read Mutiny on the Bounty as a kid. And although the reasoning is probably fallacious, "carpus" in the latin name sounds like "body" which also suggests "bread".

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:14 pm

slam wrote:And although the reasoning is probably fallacious, "carpus" in the latin name sounds like "body" which also suggests "bread".
I believe "carpus" is more related to "hand", as in "carpe diem" and the carpal bones. I think "corpus" is body.

Winnamill

#6 Post by Winnamill » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Okay, so this is kind of weird, but as I listened to Judy speak before the Ferris Bueller question came up, I was thinking she sounded a bit like the secretary (the one with all the pencils tucked in her hair) from that movie. Couldn't believe the next question was the FB question.

Did anyone else think the same thing, or is it just me? Anyone? Anyone? :lol:

megaaddict

#7 Post by megaaddict » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 am

Just a head's up to the selfless hard-working bored administrators that this thread didn't seem to make it to the show transcript's forum. :o