Transcript 10/09/07 Elizabeth Hart

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/09/07 Elizabeth Hart

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Elizabeth Hart
West Windsor, NJ
Flight attendant
Has husband (who drove her to NYC) and 10-year daughter Lily (who decorated their room with notes to motivate her and give advice on how to play)

$100- In 2007, a U.S. government Web site used the slogan "When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!" to promote which of the following?
A. Fire Prevention Week B. Lightning Safety Week
C. Traffic Safety Week D. Obvious Advice Week

$200- Which of these businesses typically employs a projectionist?
A. Barbershop B. Bakery
C. Movie theater D. Kennel

$300- Which of these slang words means "to eat a snack"?
A. Schlep B. Dish
C. Nosh D. Rave

$500- What brand of bicycle is also a common adjective meaning "easily offended"?
A. Schwinn B. Trek
C. Cannondale D. Huffy

$1000- In 2007, environmental activist Al Gore staged a massive "Live Earth" concert to raise awareness about which of these issues?
A. Childhood obesity B. Global warming
C. Gun violence D. Same-sex marriage

Commercial break

$2000- The fairy tale "Jack and the Beanstalk" features both a hen that lays golden eggs and what type of magical musical instrument?
A. Flute B. Drum
C. Harp D. Banjo

$4000- What western U.S. state's capital is named for the Olympic Mountains, which are visible to the north?
A. Washington B. Idaho
C. Montana D. Oregon

ATA 77-3-13-7 in favor of A.

$8000- The TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" often promised "And now for something completely" what?
A. Different B. Radical
C. Sane D. Believable

$16,000
Of the following lists of bones in the human body, which is in correct head-to-toe order?
A. Femur, tibia, sternum B. Mandible, sternum, femur
C. Tibia, sternum, mandible D. Sternum, mandible, tibia

Commercial Break

$25,000
From 1908 to 1960, the Democratic Republic of the Congo in central Africa was known by what name?
A. Dutch Congo B. British Congo
C. Spanish Congo D. Belgian Congo

Has a strong feeling about it, decided to take her daughter's advice and save the lifelines here

$50,000
Which of these fashion houses is named after its founder's is named after its founder's first name and not his last name?
A. Missoni B. Zegna
C. Valentino D. Prada

She was just looking at an article about Valentino the other day. It sounds like a first name.

50/50 left C and D.

Commercial Break

Elizabeth tried out for the show four times and has finally made the hot seat.

$100,000
Which of these esteemed writers is not buried in the famed Poet's Corner inside Britain's Westminster Abbey?
A. John Donne B. Rudyard Kipling
C. Charles Dickens D. Geoffrey Chaucer

$100,000 STQ
According to the latest edition of the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary, which of these is not an acceptable two-letter word?
A. Aa B. Ka
C. Ga D. Za

"You're joking, right?"

She says she plays Scrabble with her mother and they fight because her mom uses words like these and she does not like any of them.

PAF her brother Michael has no idea

She would guess Aa but decides to leave with the $50K.

Answers
$100- B. Lightning Safety Week
$200- C. Movie theater
$300- C. Nosh
$500- D. Huffy
$1000- B. Global warming
$2000- C. Harp
$4000- A. Washington
$8000- A. Different
$16K- B. Mandible, sternum, femur
$25K- D. Belgian Congo
$50K- C. Valentino
$100K- A. John Donne
STQ $100K- C. Ga

Shade

#2 Post by Shade » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm sorry but the two 100,000 dollar questions were unreasonably hard! Am I right?

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Shade wrote:I'm sorry but the two 100,000 dollar questions were unreasonably hard! Am I right?
They're supposed to be! :D

They're not hard if you know the answers. :D

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:16 pm

No, but please someone tell me that I'm not the only one who has observed that Meredith Millionaire is much harder than Regis.

And "Which of the following is not" questions are the worst, Ogi got one for his Million dolar question, that might of been why he didn't go for it, because they are tricky.

I seem to recall a 125,000 dollar Regis question that went something like this:

Which planet has the big red spot? (obviously Jupiter)

In Regis Millionaire, for the most part I could get up to the 16 or 32 thousand dollar question without too much trouble but not in Meredith, the 100,000 dollar question is the new Million dollar question.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:14 pm

Shade wrote:No, but please someone tell me that I'm not the only one who has observed that Meredith Millionaire is much harder than Regis.

And "Which of the following is not" questions are the worst, Ogi got one for his Million dolar question, that might of been why he didn't go for it, because they are tricky.

In Regis Millionaire, for the most part I could get up to the 16 or 32 thousand dollar question without too much trouble but not in Meredith, the 100,000 dollar question is the new Million dollar question.
Yes, the syndicated show's questions have been harder than the prime time show - and they're getting harder each season it seems.

The prime time show had a lot more viewers thus a lot more advertising income thus could give away more money.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Shade wrote:I'm sorry but the two 100,000 dollar questions were unreasonably hard! Am I right?
I knew John Donne, but I didn't know the answer to the Scrabble question. My huband would probably know the Scrabble question, but not the Poet's Corner question. It's all a matter of what you know.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:Yes, the syndicated show's questions have been harder than the prime time show - and they're getting harder each season it seems.
That wasn't my observation, at least last season. I've been tracking my performance on the upper-tier questions since they instituted STQ. My success rate last year was measurably higher than it had been the previous two seasons, and I don't think I've gotten any smarter. --Bob

takinover

Re: Transcript 10/09/07 Elizabeth Hart

#8 Post by takinover » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Elizabeth Hart
West Windsor, NJ
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000- The fairy tale "Jack and the Beanstalk" features both a hen that lays golden eggs and what type of magical musical instrument?
A. Flute B. Drum
C. Harp D. Banjo
Don't remember ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- The TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" often promised "And now for something completely" what?
A. Different B. Radical
C. Sane D. Believable
Don't know, PAF
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Of the following lists of bones in the human body, which is in correct head-to-toe order?

Commercial Break

$25,000
From 1908 to 1960, the Democratic Republic of the Congo in central Africa was known by what name?
Would like to retroactively trade my $16K and $25K for these two.

Don't know any of the next three.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:58 am

West Windsor, NJ
Of course she is. Where Else?®

$2K: Holy crap! I'm out of the game early! I thought it was the flute.

Too bad, too, as I would've gotten the next four questions correct.

I would've guessed Prada and Charles Dickens on my own on the next two questions.

I did know the alternate $100K question. I've played enough Scrabble to know the words aa, ka, and za. In fact, aa was the subject of a $250K question on the Regis run.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:51 am

West Windsor, NJ
Flight attendant
OK, she's a WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000- What western U.S. state's capital is named for the Olympic Mountains, which are visible to the north?
A. Washington B. Idaho
C. Montana D. Oregon
At least she didn't say, "I have an idea but..." before using her ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
She went with her gut - good for her.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Which of these fashion houses is named after its founder's is named after its founder's first name and not his last name?
A. Missoni B. Zegna
C. Valentino D. Prada
No idea, so it's time to ATA (one time when this lifeline might be useful at a high dollar level).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Elizabeth tried out for the show four times and has finally made the hot seat.
Only four times?? Meredith made it sound as if Elizabeth had spent a lifetime trying to get on the show.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Which of these esteemed writers is not buried in the famed Poet's Corner inside Britain's Westminster Abbey?
My first instinct would have been to say "Kipling" (thinking he might have been buried in India). But at this level I'd have gone with a lifeline - probably PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 STQ
According to the latest edition of the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary, which of these is not an acceptable two-letter word?
A. Aa B. Ka
C. Ga D. Za
If her mother played Scrabble, why not call her instead of Elizabeth's brother? In any case this would be a toughie for anyone who wasn't a good Scrabble player or a Googler. I wouldn't have seen this question, but had it been in my stack it would be time to STQ.[/quote]
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:53 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$2K: Holy crap! I'm out of the game early! I thought it was the flute.
"The Magic Flute" is an opera by Mozart. I thought that was a pretty nasty distractor, since it's famous enough that people would have heard of it.
Last edited by earendel on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Elizabeth tried out for the show four times and has finally made the hot seat.
Only four times?? Meredith made it sound as if Elizabeth had spent a lifetime trying to get on the show.
Whatever would Meredith say if they ever gave me my shot? :roll:

slam

#13 Post by slam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:10 am

Not a bad contestant, all things considered.

I thought it was a fairly easy stack that I would have loved to have gotten.

On the "harp" question, my initial reaction was also "flute" but a moment of thought convinced me that "harp" had to be right.

On the designer clue, I agree that Valentino certainly sounds like the most likely one to be a first name. I suppose Zegna could be also, but just yesterday I once again walked by the Zegna store on 5th Avenue. In big bold letters it says "Ermeg... Zegna" (I won't get the full first name correct). I also happen to remember that a Zegna suit features very prominently in the Nicholas Cage movie "The Family Man". I would have felt comfortable going with Valentino without using any lifelines.

I would have been at $100,000 without using any lifelines. On the first $100,000 question, I would have used my PAF figuring that there would be (and actually is) a list in wikipedia of the poets buried in Poet's Corner.

One little trick I thought of to help my PAF. Since I expect (hope?) my PAF would be looking at an alphabetical list of the poets buried there, it makes sense to give him the names in alphabetical order. It might save a few seconds.

I'm not really a scrabble player, but my son got interested in the game last year so I did some looking at the two-letter word list. I had known before that aa and za were good and picked up last year that ka was also good.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:53 pm

100K: I do not know; STQ

STQ 100K: OK, I really do not know here. Shoulda PAFed on last Q. Will on this one.

By the way, I remember aa made its appearance on Regis's BAM as a high level Q. Meaning lava flow. Only I'm not sure it that was aa or aaa. Or whatever. Oh well.

This is not a good "reply" format for "playing along", unless I get 2 screens up. I could do that.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:57 pm

ghostjmf wrote:100K: I do not know; STQ

STQ 100K: OK, I really do not know here. Shoulda PAFed on last Q. Will on this one.

By the way, I remember aa made its appearance on Regis's BAM as a high level Q. Meaning lava flow. Only I'm not sure it that was aa or aaa. Or whatever. Oh well.
It's a type of lava, not necessarily flowing. The shortest two-syllable word too.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:12 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100,000 STQ
A. Aa B. Ka
C. Ga D. Za
Has anyone ever used--or heard someone else use--the word "za" as a slang word for pizza? That's what this article says it means:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06099/680097-51.stm

slam

#17 Post by slam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:14 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100,000 STQ
A. Aa B. Ka
C. Ga D. Za
Has anyone ever used--or heard someone else use--the word "za" as a slang word for pizza? That's what this article says it means:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06099/680097-51.stm
Many times. Back in high school, we called it that.

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:19 pm

There's a local restaurant named "Za". It never even occurred to me what the heck the name meant 'til I stopped to read the menu on the window. And I still never would have thought it was an official word, even for Scrabble.

summus123

#19 Post by summus123 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:14 am

Shade wrote:No, but please someone tell me that I'm not the only one who has observed that Meredith Millionaire is much harder than Regis.

Regis Millionaire was SO much easier than Meredith's. The first Millionaire, John Carpenter, had "Who was the president to show up on Laugh-In?" Are you kidding me? For $1 Million?

Also, another Regis $1M question: "How far away from the sun is the Earth?" I think I learned 93 Million miles in 1st grade.

TheCalvinator24

#20 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 am

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]

$2000- The fairy tale "Jack and the Beanstalk" features both a hen that lays golden eggs and what type of magical musical instrument?
A. Flute B. Drum
C. Harp D. Banjo

Knew it without the choices

$4000- What western U.S. state's capital is named for the Olympic Mountains, which are visible to the north?
A. Washington B. Idaho
C. Montana D. Oregon

Ditto

$8000- The TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" often promised "And now for something completely" what?
A. Different B. Radical
C. Sane D. Believable

Ditto

$16,000

they could have made this nasty. Instead, they made it obvious.

$25,000

Got it, but not sure how confident I would have been.

$50,000
A. Missoni B. Zegna
C. Valentino D. Prada

Correct answer makes sense, but I would probably ATA and hope they know.

$100,000

PaF. I'm pretty sure Rod would know. I also had a Literature expert on my list, and I might have called her.

$100,000 STQ
A. Aa B. Ka
C. Ga D. Za

If PaF goes well, I never see this one, but if not, I 50-50 and hope "aa" is left as the distractor.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#21 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am

Ka is used extensively in King's The Dark Tower series.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#22 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am

But I wasn't sure it was a real word.