The Princess Bride

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
nitrah55

#76 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:49 am

Pea's not-like of IaWL reminded me that there are things which everybody is "supposed" to like, that some people don't, for no other reason than they don't happen to like them.

For example, I have never found Lucille Ball funny. Which is odd, because I can watch her stuff and understand why other people find her funny. She just never makes me laugh.

I feel the same way about Abbott and Costello, except for the Who's on First bit.
I am about 25% sure of this.

tlynn78

#77 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 am

For example, I have never found Lucille Ball funny. Which is odd, because I can watch her stuff and understand why other people find her funny. She just never makes me laugh.

I'll give you LB, but if Carol Burnett's show didn't make you lol, I can probably never talk to you again.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#78 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:00 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Before you asked the question about marley vs Marley, I would have sworn your name started with a small case. I thought I was 'calling' you your name.
Is that how you read it? It's only been this way for years--before I joined the Bored even. Capital 'M", Capital 'G', Numerical '0'. Everything else lower case. And if you abbreviate the name, recognize the implicit apostrophe and use "Marley" instead of "Marleys".
peacock2121 wrote: Did you make something up about it?
I drew conclusions from the available data.
If someone asked me to write your name, without looking at the bored, I would have written marleysghOst. That is how I remembered it. I was relying on my memory, which, obviously, was false memory. I probably had your name and ghosts name collaped in my head. Not the two of you collapsed - just your names.

You confused the crap outta me with the other stuff. Just tell me what you want me to call you and I will call you that.

What did you conclude from the data available?

wbtravis007

#79 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Pea,
It dispenses hope (and joy) like someone pulling candy from a pocket.

I was wrong the other day. It's actually Holt-Dad who suffers from Pea-ness envy.

That explains a lot.

MarleysGh0st

#80 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 12:13 pm

peacock2121 wrote: You confused the crap outta me with the other stuff. Just tell me what you want me to call you and I will call you that.
Sorry, just emphasizing it a different way, in case you had trouble distinguishing upper and lower case, and then bringing up a peeve I had with someone else, just to be thorough. The name's MarleysGh0st. You can call me Marley.
peacock2121 wrote: What did you conclude from the data available?
I believe you want to transform my personality. I believed that the uncapitalization was some kind of a nudge in that direction. Or maybe just a little pointy stick.

Thank you for clearing the matter up.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#81 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu May 08, 2008 12:24 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote: Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
This is my favorite quote from the movie, which I love!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#82 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: I avoid telling people, as I usually am greeted with contempt and weirdness - like I am heartless or something.

I do not loathe it, I just don't like it.
OK, I give up. What is it?
It's A Wonderful Life
I'm not a fan either. SteelersFan loves it, so he usually watches it once during the Christmas season. I'm glad he likes Ralphie and the BB gun.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#83 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:28 pm

The name's MarleysGh0st. You can call me Marley.
I'm gonna call you Bond, James Bond.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

nitrah55

#84 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

I'll give you LB, but if Carol Burnett's show didn't make you lol, I can probably never talk to you again.

t.
I do find Carol Burnett funny.

Feel free to talk whenever.
I am about 25% sure of this.

Ebeneezer Beast
Merry Man

#85 Post by Ebeneezer Beast » Thu May 08, 2008 12:44 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: OK, I give up. What is it?
It's A Wonderful Life
I'm not a fan either. SteelersFan loves it, so he usually watches it once during the Christmas season. I'm glad he likes Ralphie and the BB gun.

Dammit! It's May! Can we please change the subject!?!?!?

And where's my no good partner marleys at.....?
Bah! Humbug!

MarleysGh0st

#86 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Et tu, Ebeneezer?

After all I did for you? :(

tlynn78

#87 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Feel free to talk whenever
Whew!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

christie1111
11:11

#88 Post by christie1111 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:37 pm

Can we blather too?

:D
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#89 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:43 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:People will tell you that "you should" see a movie because they enjoyed it, and they have reason to believe that you will, too.

Sometimes, they are right. Other times, they are wrong.

I recommended Being John Malcovich to a friend of mine, and after she watched it, she questioned my sanity.
That's what I was told about ET -- "a very special film" were the guy's exact words. I didn't question his sanity, but I didn't take his recommendation on any more movies either.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#90 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:43 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:People will tell you that "you should" see a movie because they enjoyed it, and they have reason to believe that you will, too.

Sometimes, they are right. Other times, they are wrong.

I recommended Being John Malcovich to a friend of mine, and after she watched it, she questioned my sanity.
That's what I was told about ET -- "a very special film" were the guy's exact words. I didn't question his sanity, but I didn't take his recommendation on any more movies either.
Aw, come on. I cried at E.T. Of course, I was 13 years old.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

ne1410s

#91 Post by ne1410s » Fri May 09, 2008 6:38 am

It MAY be a good movie but it has Mandy Patinkin in it. Dealbreaker.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

fantine33

#92 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:23 am

Coincidentally enough, my favourite television show (Scrubs) had an episode this week that was a take off on The Princess Bride. I almost didn't watch (I feel that The Princess Bride is one of the most overrated and unappealing movies ever) but it was good, but to me even bad Scrubs is good.

A few years ago I finally decided to watch The Princess Bride, since so many people whose opinion I respected seemed to love it and their incredulity that I had never seen it was getting old. I love Mandy Patinkin and Christopher Guest and I like Chris Sarandon a lot, so how could it go wrong?

It's not a steaming piece of vile dung that I detest with all my being. Because there's not enough there there for that, it just lies there like a soggy pile of newpaper. If I had to sum it up, it would be that they were trying for precious and ended up with insipid.

I should start a thread on the top three movies that you have to stop and watch when you're flipping through the on screen listings. No Princess Bride allowed. Ha!

peacock2121

#93 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:34 am

insipid

That is a word I am going to study up on and learn how to use properly.

I like it.

Ritterskoop

#94 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 am

fantine33 wrote: I should start a thread on the top three movies that you have to stop and watch when you're flipping through the on screen listings.
Road House
Shawshank Redemption, unless it is a tidied-up version
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Yes that is four. I can change the channel from Bueller but it will be on many folks' list.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

peacock2121

#95 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:06 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
fantine33 wrote: I should start a thread on the top three movies that you have to stop and watch when you're flipping through the on screen listings.
Road House
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Yes that is four. I can change the channel from Bueller but it will be on many folks' list.
Dirty Dancing
The Postman

shut up

TheCalvinator24

#96 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:10 am

The Negotiator
Better Off Dead
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

kusch

Golf on hold today

#97 Post by kusch » Sat May 10, 2008 10:19 am

A couple of inches of snow on the ground this morning!!! It will be gone by late afternoon so maybe golf tomorrow.

I built a small snowman with my new buddy "Flat Stanley". One of Margaret's niece's son is doing that project. Stanley will caddy for me tomorrow. I am overdoing the picture thing--I have about 20 so far.

I liked this kind of project a whole lot better when they sent it to Margaret.

Hmmm, I thought I started a new thread with golf as a topic. It showed up here---weird.

Ritterskoop

#98 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Road House
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Dirty Dancing
The Postman

shut up
I'll agree with Dirty Dancing, and swap it for Road House, which I don't like all that much but is always on.

So my list is

Dirty Dancing
Shawshank
Back to the Future
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#99 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 pm

The Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Dances With Wolves
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

wbtravis007

#100 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:41 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Road House
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Dirty Dancing
The Postman

shut up
Pea,
I'm curious about whether you saw my post in this thread.