The Princess Bride

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#51 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 am

gsabc wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Pea, if it matters, I would recommend the movie.

It is a fairy tale that is cleverly done.

The characters are top notch. There is dialogue that is very witty.

I watch it almost ever time I see it on.

I avoid Blazing Saddles with a vengence. Husband loves it, I think it is childish humor.

I love The Princess Bride.
What did you love about it? What were you left with afterward? How did it change you? Was it simply entertainment or something more?
Putting in my two cents' worth here. Pea, we apparently approach movies from different directions. I view them as entertainment, not something life-changing. At $8 a ticket, or even just $3.99 for Comcast On Demand, I don't expect anything deep or inspiring. I just want to escape for a couple of hours and be entertained in the process. Logic and adequate suspension of disbelief ("You will believe a man can fly") are necessary. If I want to run out and buy the DVD, meaning I want to see it again and again, so much the better.

For Princess Bride, I agree with everything Christie says. It's not so much "Blazing Saddles" as "This is Spinal Tap" or "Best in Show". Takes itself seriously, but manages to insert at some point just about every stereotype and cliche you can think of from fables and fairy tales. There aren't really any big laughs, but I guarantee smiles and a general sense of enjoyment at the end.
Thanks, gs.

I think I do see movies for different reasons than most people and I know I see different movies for different reasons.

peacock2121

#52 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am

Bixby17 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:I disagree with BiT about the ceremony. I think too many folks are more serious about the wedding than they are about the marriage. If the partners are not committed to sticking it out, it doesn't matter how proper or solemn the ceremony is. If they are committed, then it doesn't matter how light or even silly the ceremony is.
I agree many folks put too much emphasis on the wedding. I'm not talking about the wedding. Knock yourself out on the invites, flowers, receptions, band, buffet, whatever.

But the ceremony itself, the vows, the instruction given by the officiator to the bride and groom, the "presentation" to the witnesses of your seriousness and commitment to the marriage.

If you are serious about the marriage and are inviting people to the ceremony, I would think the purpose is to present yourself to those people as being serious about the commitment. It is not a comedy show. You are not inviting the people there to be entertained. That can be done anytime. You don't have to get married to do that.
I agree. As it relates to the vows, I just think it is inappropriate.

One of my favorite weddings was a very casual one where everyone drank Shiner Bock through the ceremony. Of course, that is a fairly spiritual beer as far as beers go.

But my thought is as it relates to the PB type officiating a. it is inappropriate for a sacred event, b. very few people could get away with the Princess Bride clergyman--if you don't do it spot on, it isn't very funny.

Pea.
The Princess Bride is not only an entertaining and funny movie with a great script and acting, but it also has interesting things to say about love and life. I think you would find it worthwhile.
That speaks to me!

Thanks, Bix.

TheCalvinator24

#53 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Bixby17 wrote:Pea.
The Princess Bride is not only an entertaining and funny movie with a great script and acting, but it also has interesting things to say about love and life. I think you would find it worthwhile.
That speaks to me!

Thanks, Bix.
Gee, if I knew such a general statement would work, we could have ended this a long time ago.

:wink:
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#54 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:09 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:That's nasty, too, Bob!
marley, it is so sweet when you try to protect or defend me.

Kinda makes my heart sing.

peacock2121

#55 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 am

tlynn78 wrote:p.s.

It might be an interesting study for Pea, simply based on the quite diverse section of the bored that counts it among their favorite films.

t.
Now you're talking!

I love interesting studies!

Bring one of your copies to Pigeon Forge and I promise to watch it.

peacock2121

#56 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:13 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
slam wrote:<i>The Princess Bride</i> is one of those movies that you either "get" or you don't. If you "get" it, you think it's one of the best movies of all-time for a variety of reasons. If you don't, you think it's utter drivel. From pea's comments, I very well think that she's one who won't "get" it and seeing it will indeed waste her time. Live and let live.

FWIW, this movie is one of my all-time favorites.
That is what I suspect as well - and I wanted to see if there was something that might be there that would change my mind about it.
The Princess Bride is one of those rare movies about which I have never met anybody who said they didn't like it or even that they thought it was just "okay." I know such people must be out there, but I've never met one who said it.
I will watch it in October and let you know what I think.

You do know I do not like your all-time favorite film, right?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#57 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:14 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
slam wrote:<i>The Princess Bride</i> is one of those movies that you either "get" or you don't. If you "get" it, you think it's one of the best movies of all-time for a variety of reasons. If you don't, you think it's utter drivel. From pea's comments, I very well think that she's one who won't "get" it and seeing it will indeed waste her time. Live and let live.

FWIW, this movie is one of my all-time favorites.
That is what I suspect as well - and I wanted to see if there was something that might be there that would change my mind about it.
The Princess Bride is one of those rare movies about which I have never met anybody who said they didn't like it or even that they thought it was just "okay." I know such people must be out there, but I've never met one who said it.
Well, you still haven't (met me, I mean), but I'm one of them. It was okay, and I enjoyed it once and have no interest in seeing it again. Unless, I hasten to add, my young friend wants me to go ahead and give it my best shot on the self-important clergyperson. She'll be in town in a couple weeks, and I'll give her the live, practiced version as Skoop suggested.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#58 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am

Bring one of your copies to Pigeon Forge and I promise to watch it

You got it! Bring the popcorn, 'kay?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#59 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Bixby17 wrote:Pea.
That speaks to me!

Thanks, Bix.
Gee, if I knew such a general statement would work, we could have ended this a long time ago.

:wink:
One never knows what will connect to another. The more you say, when someone is asking for you to say, the more you increase your chances of hitting the mark.

It also helps to know your audience.

I am all about love and life and studies.

Especially when I can map them on my own life.

peacock2121

#60 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 am

tlynn78 wrote:

t.
Is SmartFood okay?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#61 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 am

peacock2121 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

t.
Is SmartFood okay?
It's not merely okay. It's one of manufacturing's most perfect foods.

I buy the stuff only on trips so I can't buy another bag and eat it too, and another, and another . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheCalvinator24

#62 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 am

peacock2121 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: That is what I suspect as well - and I wanted to see if there was something that might be there that would change my mind about it.

I know lots of people who loathe my all-time fave.

If I knew you were in that group, I had forgotten.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#63 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:21 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote: The Princess Bride is one of those rare movies about which I have never met anybody who said they didn't like it or even that they thought it was just "okay." I know such people must be out there, but I've never met one who said it.

I know lots of people who loathe my all-time fave.

If I knew you were in that group, I had forgotten.
I avoid telling people, as I usually am greeted with contempt and weirdness - like I am heartless or something.

I do not loathe it, I just don't like it.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#64 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:22 am

peacock2121 wrote: I avoid telling people, as I usually am greeted with contempt and weirdness - like I am heartless or something.

OK, I give up. What is it?

tlynn78

#65 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:23 am

Is SmartFood okay
I don't know, but I'll probably eat it.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Appa23

#66 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: I avoid telling people, as I usually am greeted with contempt and weirdness - like I am heartless or something.

I am going to guess "It's A Wonderful Life".

(Which is a movie that I like, but will not stop to watch if I see it on television. Meanwhile, I was going to post the same thing as Cal -- that I have never meet anyone who has seen Princess Bride and not liked it.)
Last edited by Appa23 on Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

peacock2121

#67 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

It's A Wonderful Life

Vandal
Director of Promos

#68 Post by Vandal » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

Great movie.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Dread_Pirate_Roberts
Merry Man

#69 Post by Dread_Pirate_Roberts » Thu May 08, 2008 10:56 am

Vandal wrote:Great movie.

I AM THE DWEAD PIWATE WOBERTS!

AGWEE WITH VANDAL OR PWEPAWE TO DIE!

CharlesFoxSingers
Merry Man

Offer applies with enrollment in Triple Advantage®

#70 Post by CharlesFoxSingers » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 am

They say a man should dress the part - for the job he wants.
So why am I dressed like a pirate - in this restaurant?
It's all because some hacker - stole my identity.
So now I'm in here every evening - serving chowder and iced tea.

Should have gone to Free Credit Report.com (Yeehaw!)
I could have seen this coming at me - like an atom bomb.
They monitor your credit and send you e-mail alerts
So you don't end selling fish to tourists in T-shirts.

TheCalvinator24

#71 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:08 am

Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Miracle Max: You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Inigo Montoya: I donna suppose you could speed things up?
Westley: If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope or a tree branch or find something useful to do.
Inigo Montoya: I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.
Westley: That does put a damper on our relationship.

Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Westley: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Westley: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Buttercup: You mock my pain.
Westley: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?
Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

MarleysGh0st

#72 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 11:28 am

peacock2121 wrote:

You do not need my protection. I can point out when someone else is being nasty without it being about that.

Perhaps it was about controlling my own snide and nasty responses to our very different psychological outlooks upon the world.

BTW, do you only forget where the shift key is when it comes time to capitalize my name or do you do that deliberately?

earendel

#73 Post by earendel » Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Miracle Max: You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Inigo Montoya: I donna suppose you could speed things up?
Westley: If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope or a tree branch or find something useful to do.
Inigo Montoya: I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.
Westley: That does put a damper on our relationship.

Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
Westley: You're that smart?
Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Westley: Yes.
Vizzini: Morons.

Buttercup: You mock my pain.
Westley: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?
Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

Vizzini: You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Westley: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Miracle Max: Have fun stormin' da castle.
Valerie: Think it'll work?
Miracle Max: It would take a miracle.

Westley: There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#74 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:37 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:

You do not need my protection. I can point out when someone else is being nasty without it being about that.

Perhaps it was about controlling my own snide and nasty responses to our very different psychological outlooks upon the world.

BTW, do you only forget where the shift key is when it comes time to capitalize my name or do you do that deliberately?
Thank you for controlling your own nastiness and snideness. I appreciate it.

Before you asked the question about marley vs Marley, I would have sworn your name started with a small case. I thought I was 'calling' you your name.

Did you make something up about it?

MarleysGh0st

#75 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 am

peacock2121 wrote: Before you asked the question about marley vs Marley, I would have sworn your name started with a small case. I thought I was 'calling' you your name.
Is that how you read it? It's only been this way for years--before I joined the Bored even. Capital 'M", Capital 'G', Numerical '0'. Everything else lower case. And if you abbreviate the name, recognize the implicit apostrophe and use "Marley" instead of "Marleys".
peacock2121 wrote: Did you make something up about it?
I drew conclusions from the available data.