Doomsday is upon us

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

#51 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:Honestly, McCain is probably the only candidate who could keep you from a Democratic president. So decide which is worse to you. The others are unelectable. My son even thought Romney and Huckabee were scary when he heard their ideas. And he's just a kid!
IMO, there's no difference between McCain and A Democratic president. Which is why I will not vote for him.
So are you going to vote for the Democratic candidate?
No. I'm going to submit a write-in vote for an outworlder.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

ne1410s

#52 Post by ne1410s » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 am

Ann Coulter is...
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

themanintheseersuckersuit

#53 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote: IMO, there's no difference between McCain and A Democratic president. Which is why I will not vote for him.

So then Ann Coulter is a possible write in?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#54 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:34 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote: IMO, there's no difference between McCain and A Democratic president. Which is why I will not vote for him.
I didn't get to hear it, but NPR had a teaser for a story about the number of third party candidates that are testing the waters now, and there may be more names on the presidential ballot in November than there have been more many years.

And it won't include Gus Hall, Lyndon LaRouche or Harold Stasson.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Tocqueville3

#55 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 am

ne1410s wrote:
Ann Coulter is...
I want to smack her, too. She is publicity hog who wear's cocktail dresses to Hardball and O'Reilly. She's like that little kid in 2nd grade that just says kooky things to get attention.

I also want to take a pair of scissors to that hair.

And she's flat chested.

And she has an adam's apple which means she's a he.

Sir_Galahad

#56 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:42 am

Rexer25 wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: So are you going to vote for the Democratic candidate?
I didn't get to hear it, but NPR had a teaser for a story about the number of third party candidates that are testing the waters now, and there may be more names on the presidential ballot in November than there have been more many years.

I would vote for Newt Gingrich or Alan Keyes if their names appeared.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

MarleysGh0st

#57 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 am

Sir_Galahad wrote: I would vote for Newt Gingrich or Alan Keyes if their names appeared.
Alan's name was on the ballot here in the New York primary.

Sir_Galahad

#58 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:33 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:
Appa23 wrote: Now, do the same for Hillary.

tap, tap, tap
I believe I asked the same thing of PSM earlier in this thread. Actually, I asked her to name ONE thing Hilary has accomplished while in office. I am still waiting for that answer.
Sorry about the wait. I have a sick kid at home, so I have been hanging out with her, rather than posting.

Hillary brought a lot of attention to the fact that the FDA would not allow the Plan B, Morning After Pill, to be available to the people who need it on a non-prescription basis. The FDA wouldn't approve the drug, despite the fact that the FDA's advisory panel overwhelmingly voted to recommend the drug, quite possibly due to the influence of several religious groups. When the FDA delayed approval, Hillary called for investigations into the matter. (As things are now, the drug is non-prescription if you are over the age of 18. Girls under the age of 17 must see a doctor to get a prescription for this drug.)

Clinton introduced the Senate version of the Lifespan Respite Care Act of 2003. The legislation was designed to help give aid to home caregivers.

She also worked on ensuring the safety of prescription medicine for children. Her work is included in the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act, which was designed to ensure that there are more clinical trials on drugs meant for children.

These things may not be important to you, but they are to me.
So, then, you're OK with the fact that she is pro-abortion and, if given the chance, will nominate Supreme Court justices that are pro-abortion?

Kinda sounds like she is talking out of both sides of her mouth to me.

Rexer25

#59 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:35 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote: No. I'm going to submit a write-in vote for an outworlder.

I would vote for Newt Gingrich or Alan Keyes if their names appeared.
Just curious, Sirge, what about Alan Keyes background (I admit I know very little about his work) leads you to think he is qualified?

That'll be $10, please.

earendel

#60 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:38 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote: I believe I asked the same thing of PSM earlier in this thread. Actually, I asked her to name ONE thing Hilary has accomplished while in office. I am still waiting for that answer.
Sorry about the wait. I have a sick kid at home, so I have been hanging out with her, rather than posting.

Hillary brought a lot of attention to the fact that the FDA would not allow the Plan B, Morning After Pill, to be available to the people who need it on a non-prescription basis. The FDA wouldn't approve the drug, despite the fact that the FDA's advisory panel overwhelmingly voted to recommend the drug, quite possibly due to the influence of several religious groups. When the FDA delayed approval, Hillary called for investigations into the matter. (As things are now, the drug is non-prescription if you are over the age of 18. Girls under the age of 17 must see a doctor to get a prescription for this drug.)

Clinton introduced the Senate version of the Lifespan Respite Care Act of 2003. The legislation was designed to help give aid to home caregivers.

She also worked on ensuring the safety of prescription medicine for children. Her work is included in the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act, which was designed to ensure that there are more clinical trials on drugs meant for children.

So, then, you're OK with the fact that she is pro-abortion and, if given the chance, will nominate Supreme Court justices that are pro-abortion?

She's not "pro-abortion". She's pro-choice. Now that may seem like one and the same thing, but it isn't. And I don't think you need me to draw the distinction for you.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Sir_Galahad

#61 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 am

Rexer25 wrote:
Just curious, Sirge, what about Alan Keyes background (I admit I know very little about his work) leads you to think he is qualified?
Absolutely nothing. But, IMO, any staunch conservative in the White House would be a superior choice to those in the current mix. If you would like to read up about him, here's his website.

http://www.alankeyes.com

Rexer25

#62 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:43 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
Absolutely nothing. But, IMO, any staunch conservative in the White House would be a superior choice to those in the current mix. If you would like to read up about him, here's his website.

http://www.alankeyes.com
I know you didn't mean to contradict yourself, but voting for Keyes just based on ideology is no different than voting for anyone else based on charisma.

That'll be $10, please.

Sir_Galahad

#63 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:50 am

Rexer25 wrote:
I know you didn't mean to contradict yourself, but voting for Keyes just based on ideology is no different than voting for anyone else based on charisma.
You're absolutely right. But, if I am going to have to go down that road (and not just sit at home and watch) I will sooner cast a vote for an Alan Keyes than a Barack Obama. I was pointing to Keyes as an example of a conservative I would consider.

Bixby17

#64 Post by Bixby17 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:Honestly, McCain is probably the only candidate who could keep you from a Democratic president. So decide which is worse to you. The others are unelectable. My son even thought Romney and Huckabee were scary when he heard their ideas. And he's just a kid!
IMO, there's no difference between McCain and A Democratic president. Which is why I will not vote for him.
Why do you consider McCain a libber?

If he is elected, he is going to appoint the same sort of right-wing legislating from the bench Supreme Court judges that make the old "conservative" justices seem like liberal ones in comparison.

I don't care for any of the candidates at all, but I was just curious as to your McCain = libber.

Personally, I think this election has too many kooks in it.

mrkelley23

#65 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:31 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote: I believe I asked the same thing of PSM earlier in this thread. Actually, I asked her to name ONE thing Hilary has accomplished while in office. I am still waiting for that answer.

To paraphrase Pea yesterday, please cite one person who is actually "pro-abortion."

There aren't many, with the possible exception of this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Bartlett

The problem I see with the abortion "debate" (actually more like screaming match) is that each extreme side, which happens to be controlling the biggest megaphones, is convinced that whoever doesn't agree with them 100% on every aspect of the "debate" must be diametrically opposed on every other issue. The vast majority of people, OTOH, have a wide variety of views on the issues related to abortion.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#66 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:26 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:

There is a difference between being pro-choice and being pro-abortion.

But, yes, I am OK with the fact that she is pro-choice and if given the change, will nominate Supreme Court justices that are also pro-choice.

I personally feel that abortion is a horrible choice to have to make, but sometimes women are left with no other options. If women choose to get an abortion, that is their right and they have to live with the mental, physical and spiritual consequences of their actions.

I personally wish that there were no unwanted pregnancies. I understand that many people feel that abstinence before marriage is the best course of action, but it's unrealistic. People are going to have sex because it feels good.

One of Maddie's friends, an intelligent 15 year old, was talking to Maddie about having sex with her boyfriend of one year. Maddie told her that she thought that she was too young, but if she felt the need to do it, that she should make sure that she had birth control and protection against sexually transmitted diseases. The friend agreed that she would.

I think that the idea of a 15 year old having sex is not such a great thing, but at least she has been educated enough to protect herself against pregnancy and disease.

Sir_Galahad

#67 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 am

Bixby17 wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:
Why do you consider McCain a libber?

If he is elected, he is going to appoint the same sort of right-wing legislating from the bench Supreme Court judges that make the old "conservative" justices seem like liberal ones in comparison.

I don't care for any of the candidates at all, but I was just curious as to your McCain = libber.

Personally, I think this election has too many kooks in it.
1. McCain's position on illegal migration has not changed. He has, as much stated that if McCain-Kennedy came up again he would vote for it.

2. McCain-Feingold

3. He is pro-choice

4. He opposes the gay marriage ban.

5. He voted against the Bush tax cuts

6. He is a proponent of global warming

7. He opposes ANWR

Shall I go on?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#68 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:4. He opposes the gay marriage ban.
Why should this be a federal issue?
Sir_Galahad wrote:6. He is a proponent of global warming.
I find this implausible. Are you saying he thinks global warming is a good thing? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#69 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

#70 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:21 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I find this implausible. Are you saying he thinks global warming is a good thing? --Bob
No, I'm the one who thinks global warming is a good thing, McCain think its a good idea to tax us back the a 1930's lifestyle because of some half baked computer model.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

eyégor
???????

#71 Post by eyégor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:47 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
No, I'm the one who thinks global warming is a good thing, McCain think its a good idea to tax us back the a 1930's lifestyle because of some half baked computer model.

What suit dude said.

I'm one hell of a lot more concerned about where my basic liberties went, or are soon going, than I am about the weather. This planet is resilient enough to have survived asteroid strikes. I think the application of a little common sense regarding fossil fuels should be enough. Al Gore better look out, or he'll find my 'carbon footprint' on his butt.

Am I the only one who sometimes feels that all the hoopla about global warning is just meant to be a distraction from real issues?

ne1410s

#72 Post by ne1410s » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:54 pm

This planet is resilient enough to have survived asteroid strikes.
The planet, yes. The main occupants not so much.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bixby17

#73 Post by Bixby17 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
You see, federalizing stuff is BAD BAD BAD if it is stuff that "conservatives" don't like but federalizing stuff is GOOD GOOD GOOD if it gets them things that they like.

ghostjmf

#74 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:05 pm

gsabc says:
As for the Democrats: While I like Obama and what he says, I am not convinced that this is the time for inexperience and OJT in the leader of the free world. I'm not that fond of Hillary, either, and came very close to voting for Edwards or Richardson, who are still on the ballot. I just held my nose and voted for Hill. I predict a close vote between the two in MA.
Dittoville.

Except that my "gone but close to voting for him anyway" candidate was Edwards by hissownself, & Biden for wishful thinking even though he is a plagiarist.

"Hold your nose & vote for Hill". As a slogan, I dunno. A radio commentor said today that the Dems are deciding "which of these rare treats will be ours" or something much like that; I sure don't feel like as good about all this as all that, but I would have no problems voting for Obama if he gets the ultimate nod. Considering the alternative. partywise. McCain is an honorable man for a Repub, but on so many things he is wrong wrong wrong.

#75 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Bixby17 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
You see, federalizing stuff is BAD BAD BAD if it is stuff that "conservatives" don't like but federalizing stuff is GOOD GOOD GOOD if it gets them things that they like.
Gee Bix its as if you don't like hypocrisy.
Suitguy is not bitter.