Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Snaxx

Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#51 Post by Snaxx » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 am

Here is the transcript from the broadcast of 8/29/2000- this contestant is Walhal.
artima wrote:Fast Finger: Put the following tones in the order they appear on a standard piano scale; starting at the beginning:
a. La b. Re
c. Ti d. Mi

Robert Kvinnesland 5.08 seconds
Centervalley, PA
Programmer

$100 Which product's label advises "For best results, squeeze from bottom and flatten as you go up"?
a. Toothpaste b. Mouthwash
c. Dental Floss d. Thighmaster

$200 Each Olympic year, starting in 1936, a series of runners carry what item from Greece to the county hosting the games?
a. Ball b. Key
c. Torch d. Ring

$300 According to a popular saying, you shouldn't "cut off your nose to spite your" what?
a. Face b. Hips
c. Fingers d. Mother

$500 Which of these is not a shade of red?
a. Ruby b. Cherry
c. Crimson d. Aquamarine

$1K In the 1981 Men at Work song "Down Under", what type of sandwich is mentioned?
a. Pastrami b. BLT
c. Vegamite d. Gyro

Robert uses his ATA and PAF on the following:

$2K An animals tail is considered prehensile if it can do what?
a. Regenerate
Spoiler
(37%)
b. Grasp
Spoiler
(41%)
c. Sting
Spoiler
(10%)
d. Swish
Spoiler
(12%)
Spoiler
Robert's friend Allison thought the answer was B.
Robert guesses wrong on the following:

$4K In an official game of volleyball, how many players are on the court at one time?
a. 12 b. 6
c. 10 d. 14

Robert's guess was
Spoiler
C.
Robert left with $1000.

Answers:
Spoiler
Fast Finger: B-D-A-C
$100 A
$200 C
$300 A
$500 D
$1K C
$2K B
$4K A

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#52 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:52 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Weyoun wrote:Yes, credit the writers for a question with a great distractor. But unless you've read that line, and that would imply reading - ick - Henry James, it seems a difficult to deduce the answer as Willis Tower, if you've not heard of it.
It is obscure if you haven't come across the quote serendipitously. I don't pretend to be an expert on Henry James, but at an earlier point in life I was trying to learn as much as possible about selected American writers. During that project, I read two biographies of James, some autobiographical works, dozens of stories and plays, and approximately 15 or 16 of his novels. (I had planned to read every novel he wrote, but eventually I realized he had written pretty much the same novels over and over, so I stopped.)

Here's the thing. Henry James never wrote this in any of his own works, so reading his writing wouldn't have helped. The quote attributed to him was recorded by his friend, Edith Wharton, in her own memoirs, A Backward Glance. I cannot fault the expert -- any expert -- for not knowing this. Knowing Henry James is not enough.
I guessed correctly from my vague familiarity with his oeuvre. I suspect I wouldn't have been sufficiently confident in the Hot Seat to pull the trigger without lifeline usage, though.

When I think of Henry James's writing, I think of indolent Americans travelling around Europe. From that sense, the answer that turned out to be correct is an easy jump. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#53 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am

earendel wrote:
Weyoun wrote:Who is walhal?
I'm sure lb or someone else can tell the story better, but walhal was a member of the Bored community back in the day. He used to boast about how well he would do on the show and disparage others' appearances. When he got his chance he missed the $16K question and ended up with $1K. He returned to the Bored to post a "regrets" message and hasn't been heard from since.
From what I recall of him, I'd say both "boast" and "disparage" are extreme understatements. His persona and subsequent performance were like MBFFB being a real person, appearing on the show and then blowing a $100 question about a very common nursery rhyme.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#54 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

Weyoun wrote:Also, is psychoanalyzing this guy based on 15 minutes of tape really necessary?
No, in the sense that nothing having to do with this TV game show is "really necessary".

However, if one volunteers to appear as a contestant on this show, it is to be expected.

And this is particularly the case if, in those 15 minutes, one establishes an approach and a persona which is unique in the history of the show.

Jeemie

#55 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Weyoun wrote:Also, is psychoanalyzing this guy based on 15 minutes of tape really necessary?
Is anything we do really necessary?

:mrgreen:

PS Amazing what you can learn about someone after 15 minutes of exposure.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#56 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Jeemie wrote:PS Amazing what you can learn about someone after 15 minutes of exposure.
Heck, the APs need far less time than that to pass judgement!

Weyoun

#57 Post by Weyoun » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
No, in the sense that nothing having to do with this TV game show is "really necessary".

However, if one volunteers to appear as a contestant on this show, it is to be expected.

And this is particularly the case if, in those 15 minutes, one establishes an approach and a persona which is unique in the history of the show.
I think there is a difference between saying he used the wrong lifeline and saying he has all sorts of personal problems, which is the implication I get there. McKelvin of the Bills was foolish to return that kick last night - but that doesn't mean he has all sorts of deep seeded personal problems.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#58 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Weyoun wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I think there is a difference between saying he used the wrong lifeline and saying he has all sorts of personal problems, which is the implication I get there. McKelvin of the Bills was foolish to return that kick last night - but that doesn't mean he has all sorts of deep seeded personal problems.
McKelvin plays in Buffalo...if he doesn't have personal problems now, he will soon. :P
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#59 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 pm

earendel wrote:
Weyoun wrote:Who is walhal?
I'm sure lb or someone else can tell the story better, but walhal was a member of the Bored community back in the day. He used to boast about how well he would do on the show and disparage others' appearances. When he got his chance he missed the $16K question and ended up with $1K. He returned to the Bored to post a "regrets" message and hasn't been heard from since.

Oh yeah, hubris bit him in the butt big time.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#60 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

I saw a Man (actually Woman) in The Street interview, accuse Kanye of hubris, not what you usually get on the street.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

vettech

#61 Post by vettech » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

I saw a Man (actually Woman) in The Street interview, accuse Kanye of hubris, not what you usually get on the street.
It obviously wasn't a "Jay Walking" segment, then, where you would probably learn that hubris is the stuff you in which you dip pita chips. :mrgreen:

Estonut
Evil Genius

#62 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:52 pm

vettech wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:Oh yeah, hubris bit him in the butt big time.
It obviously wasn't a "Jay Walking" segment, then, where you would probably learn that hubris is the stuff you in which you dip pita chips. :mrgreen:
I thought it was what Elizabeth Hurley did when she heard about Divine Brown...
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#63 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:10 pm

25K: I thought I'd read this recently, but was not 100% sure of actual damn name. double dip, & hold breath.

50K: I'm a big folkie. "adjective most frequently used next to bagpipe by movie reviewers watching a Scots epic who are lazy & can't think up another adjective" would be "skirling".

100K: I think Henry James is easily the lousiest writer to be famous for being a good writer. His sentences are incomprehensible. I despise Henry James, the writer, & Henry James, the person would from reviews I have read not be far behind in deserving "pompous ass". Which made it really stand out when something, I believe a radio interview, that I recently heard had someone attribute this quote to James. So I knew it, & that's the only reason why. He doesn't seem like a "summer's day" kind of guy, for sure.

That the contestant went for another answer, based on his own gut (he's probably read some James too, & "complete silence" seems more in line with James' personality) & an obvious know-nothing "expert" who did say 'its a guess" made me very very sad. That the contestant went for the wrong answer in the same "blurt out full steam ahead" manner he'd used all show convinced me it was not an act, & maybe this guy really is a little off.

I don't know if Carpenter would have known this, but maybe he could have talked this guy down from the ledge. And maybe he wouldn't have wanted to. I wanted to. I really wanted this guy to burn up another lifeline or 2 getting it right, & win more.

So far, he's my vote to win the "leaderboard" contest, not by default but by getting the darn answer right, because he got very far on his own steam getting right answers. The guy who was on show #1 is the only other serious contender in that regard, I think.

Jeemie

#64 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Weyoun wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Is not extreme hubris a "personal problem"?

C'mon Weyoun...this goes WAY beyond "using the wrong lifeline".
1979 City of Champions 2009

tanstaafl2

#65 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Sure! It's what we do when there isn't a phone game...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Estonut
Evil Genius

#66 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm

ghostjmf wrote:50K: I'm a big folkie. "adjective most frequently used next to bagpipe by movie reviewers watching a Scots epic who are lazy & can't think up another adjective" would be "skirling".
Had you bothered to refer to M-W on-line, as you so often do when arguing here, you'd know that "skirling" is not an adjective and has no meanings directly applicable to any particular instrument but the bagpipe...

skirl
One entry found.

Main Entry: skirl
Pronunciation: \ˈskər(-ə)l, ˈskir(-ə)l\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English (Scots) skrillen, skirlen to scream, shriek, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian dialect skræla to cry aloud; akin to Old English scrallettan to resound loudly
Date: circa 1665
intransitive verb
of a bagpipe : to emit the high shrill tone of the chanter; also : to give forth music
transitive verb
: to play (music) on the bagpipe
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#67 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 pm

I eliminated "complete silence" as something a good writer would not prefer. They like to hear words.

But I still would have been guessing among the others, having read only the minimum Henry James. His brother William, I have read extensively. but they never ask about him. Not enough pragmatism school questions on this show.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

Estonut says Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#68 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 pm

re "skirl"

bla bla etc.

I guess the gazillion movie music reviewers who use the word as an adjective didn't look it up 1st either.

ghostjmf

more skirling; Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#69 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:50 pm

from "wordnik"

http://www.wordnik.com/words/skirling

"And we lost oor connectin' files and were nobbut two platoons, and we got it somethin' cruel; the shells were a-skirling[23] like peewits ower our heids." — Leaves from a Field Note-Book

The meaning is very clear, it sounds like the quote is in a Scots dialect, but they sure aren't talking about bagpipes. They are using the word as a verb, though. A transitive one, I'd say.

ghostjmf

more skirling; was Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#70 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I like this too, still from wordnik. Especially the 2nd meaning. Put that in your bagpipe!
GNU Webster's 1913 (2)

1. A shrill cry or sound; a crying shrilly; a skirl.
2. A small trout or salmon; -- a name used loosely.

ghostjmf

#72 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 pm

I'd said:
The meaning is very clear, it sounds like the quote is in a Scots dialect, but they sure aren't talking about bagpipes. They are using the word as a verb, though. A transitive one, I'd say.
uh oh "were skirling"; what is the actual term here? I haven't had to diagram a sentence since 5th grade (at which time I knew what I was doing, & loved the fake-math approach of the diagrams) & it shows.

plasticene

#73 Post by plasticene » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Estonut wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:50K: I'm a big folkie. "adjective most frequently used next to bagpipe by movie reviewers watching a Scots epic who are lazy & can't think up another adjective" would be "skirling".
Had you bothered to refer to M-W on-line, as you so often do when arguing here, you'd know that "skirling" is not an adjective and has no meanings directly applicable to any particular instrument but the bagpipe...

skirl
One entry found.

Etymology: Middle English (Scots) skrillen, skirlen to scream, shriek, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian dialect skræla to cry aloud; akin to Old English scrallettan to resound loudly
intransitive verb
of a bagpipe : to emit the high shrill tone of the chanter; also : to give forth music
transitive verb
That doesn't seem like a fair criticism of ghost's post. "Skirling" can be an adjective or a verb, depending on context. When the word "skirling" is used to describe bagpipes or bagpipe music, as in ghost's hypothetical movie review, it's being used as an adjective. There are lots of examples of this usage here: http://books.google.com/books?um=1&q=sk ... arch+Books

Estonut
Evil Genius

#74 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:12 pm

plasticene wrote:
Estonut wrote:

skirl
One entry found.

intransitive verb
transitive verb
That doesn't seem like a fair criticism of ghost's post. "Skirling" can be an adjective or a verb, depending on context. When the word "skirling" is used to describe bagpipes or bagpipe music, as in ghost's hypothetical movie review, it's being used as an adjective. There are lots of examples of this usage here: http://books.google.com/books?um=1&q=sk ... arch+Books
But all those authors are just lazy and can't think of another word...
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver (carryover)

#75 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:34 am

Here's an article about Alan's appearance.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loca ... 80107.html
He could get a second shot next month during a special tournament of 10 top prize winners.

For now, he’s happy with his winnings, the best you can snare on the syndicated show if you keep playing and miss a question between the $50,000 and $1 million marks.

“That’s $25,000 that I didn’t have” before, Carver said. “Laurie (his wife) and I are feeling very blessed.”