Transcript 09/11/09 - Alan Carver

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
secondchance
Possum Hunter!

Re: Transcript 09/11/09 - Alan Carver

#51 Post by secondchance » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Aww. I loved this guy- I mean, he is what he is. He really grew on me, and I do believe for Meredith, as well. I loved how he cut to the chase with each Q, it made the game very exciting for me. I do wish he'd told Mere that he was banking his time for the $1 mill Q, or made a comment about TDC instead of his reply about others wanting their turn, though.
Spoiler
When he broke up at his $25,000 Q, we could really get a peek inside that gruff persona. It was heartbreaking seeing him screw up, and I hope he learned from the experience, and truly hope he will do well if he gets that second shot at the mill on the ToT.

ghostjmf

#52 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:59 pm

OK, I want to preface this by saying, back when I was actually gearing up to go on the actual show, way back when, I discussed w/ my brother the concept of yelling out the answer if I knew it before Regis got through speaking (this was the Regis era, & as most here are well aware, I did not win a FF & get to play). My brother opined that if you do that even once, the audience will think you are a jerk & be rooting against you.

Well, the studio audience did not durst this guy, so there!

But I was beginning to think either "enough is enough" or that the contestant was seriously demented. Or a very high level, but not exactly high enough Asperger's Syndrome person. Or something. See tomorrow's transcript for why.

8K: Knew it wasn't Wrangler, which my uncle's store used to sell wholesale (they were a wholesale business). Pretty sure it wasn't Guess. Could double dip, but would ATA here.

16K: Algerian Tangerine is the only one that makes sense, based on the actual fruit. Hold breath & guess.

And the horn goes off & this character is deprived of having Carpenter as ATE; big deprivation, it will turn out.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#53 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:08 pm

ghostjmf wrote:OK, I want to preface this by saying, back when I was actually gearing up to go on the actual show, way back when, I discussed w/ my brother the concept of yelling out the answer if I knew it before Regis got through speaking (this was the Regis era, & as most here are well aware, I did not win a FF & get to play). My brother opined that if you do that even once, the audience will think you are a jerk & be rooting against you.

Well, the studio audience did not durst this guy, so there!
This guy had a reason to blurt them out. You would have been a jerky know-it-all for doing so back then...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Jeemie

#54 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

secondchance wrote:When he broke up at his $25,000 Q, we could really get a peek inside that gruff persona.
Please tell me you're joking.

That was the low point of his time on the show. To cry because he thought the $25K was going to be tough and it turned out to be easy?

That showed he was completely out of control...it gave a peek inside his persona, but not a very nice peek.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#55 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Jeemie wrote:
secondchance wrote:When he broke up at his $25,000 Q, we could really get a peek inside that gruff persona.

That was the low point of his time on the show. To cry because he thought the $25K was going to be tough and it turned out to be easy?

That showed he was completely out of control...it gave a peek inside his persona, but not a very nice peek.
I understand where 2C is coming from. I think a lot of people found Alan's single-minded focus on game performance offputting -- hence the references to social skills and taking the SATs. If that is one's perspective, the crack in the armor is attractive.

For you, the apparent lack of social skills is a price you'd have been willing to accept in Alan if it were accompanied (and a likely cause of) game play that you could respect. When you perceived that he lost focus, and as a result (or for the same reason) made a poor decision, you lost respect for his game play and therefore likewise lost your tolerance for his poor grace.

This is of particular interest to me because it mirrors a discussion Ms. 63 and I are having about Sparky. I'm very much a competitive person (shocking, I know). Ms. 63 is not. We are trying to decide how we would like to model game-playing behavior for Sparky. Ultimately, he'll be who he is, of course, but if it turns out he's more the competitive type (and that's our current guess) he will need to learn how that type of behavior will be perceived in various situations by people who are less competitive. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Thousandaire

#56 Post by Thousandaire » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I understand where 2C is coming from. I think a lot of people found Alan's single-minded focus on game performance offputting -- hence the references to social skills and taking the SATs. If that is one's perspective, the crack in the armor is attractive.

For you, the apparent lack of social skills is a price you'd have been willing to accept in Alan if it were accompanied (and a likely cause of) game play that you could respect. When you perceived that he lost focus, and as a result (or for the same reason) made a poor decision, you lost respect for his game play and therefore likewise lost your tolerance for his poor grace.

This is of particular interest to me because it mirrors a discussion Ms. 63 and I are having about Sparky. I'm very much a competitive person (shocking, I know). Ms. 63 is not. We are trying to decide how we would like to model game-playing behavior for Sparky. Ultimately, he'll be who he is, of course, but if it turns out he's more the competitive type (and that's our current guess) he will need to learn how that type of behavior will be perceived in various situations by people who are less competitive. --Bob
In other words, teach him how to not be a jerk.

FloridaGirl

#57 Post by FloridaGirl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:17 pm

I was standing near him briefly off stage and I thought he was, ummm, very different. He kept talking about how we had to wait until Sept. 11 to see what would happen. I didn't know that's when his show was airing and thought he had some evil deed planned for that day. Then, he muttered about the kerning not being right on some some pieces of paper with our names on them. I'm so mad I didn't get to see him on TV because the darn U.S. Open took over the Millionaire time slot here. Good thing I have you guys on the ball with it! :)

Jeemie

#58 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:32 pm

FloridaGirl wrote:Then, he muttered about the kerning not being right on some some pieces of paper with our names on them.
Weyoun...may we now speculate as to his mental condition?

The kerning?!?!?!?!?

:shock:
1979 City of Champions 2009

FloridaGirl

#59 Post by FloridaGirl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

He comes across differently on TV (watched the YouTube vid posted). More nice than strange, like I thought. I guess I shouldn't make any assumptions about anyone off stage since the person is probably just nervous and anxious. Someone will probably say I'm creepy. :)

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#60 Post by secondchance » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:06 am

Jeemie wrote:

We obviously see things in different lights, Jeemie. Let's just agree to disagree, is that ok with you? :roll:

akcarver

#61 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:01 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:I remember this guy from rehearsal/orientation. He was the same way then.

He did not make a good first impression. And that's all I have to say about that.
I really don't know who you are, so I don't have the same opinion of you. I am sorry that I did not make a better showing than I did. (edited for spelling.)
Last edited by akcarver on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#62 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:10 pm

secondchance wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

We obviously see things in different lights, Jeemie. Let's just agree to disagree, is that ok with you? :roll:
It was more than the question being much easier than I thought it would be. It was also the fact that that $9,000 was the difference between getting out of debt, and not. It was a very cathartic moment for me, especially with the anxiety that built up over three weeks of waiting for the final taping. If I had gotten that question on Friday, I probably would not have reacted in quite the way I did.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#63 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:33 pm

akcarver wrote:
secondchance wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

It was more than the question being much easier than I thought it would be. It was also the fact that that $9,000 was the difference between getting out of debt, and not. It was a very cathartic moment for me, especially with the anxiety that built up over three weeks of waiting for the final taping. If I had gotten that question on Friday, I probably would not have reacted in quite the way I did.
Welcome aBored!

First things first. We are aware of the response-time problems the Bored is having, and our gracious host, tubadave, is working on a fix. One of the sticky threads you'll see is titled, "Bookmark this temporary lifeboat." If the Bored becomes unavailable for an extended time during the fix, that is a place to look for news.

I'd love to hear the play-by-play of your thoughts during your run, and particularly your banter with Meredith. It made quite a polarizing impression. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

akcarver

#64 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Jeemie wrote:
FloridaGirl wrote:Then, he muttered about the kerning not being right on some some pieces of paper with our names on them.
Weyoun...may we now speculate as to his mental condition?

The kerning?!?!?!?!?

:shock:
What you don't know about me, Jeemie, is that I used to work in the printing industry. I believe that just about anyone who's worked in that industry would have noticed the odd kerning on that page. It was blindingly obvious.

And as for my mental condition, I do not have Asperger's Syndrome, not even a little bit. I just notice printing and typographical errors because of my background in the industry. (edited to provide proper attribution)
Last edited by akcarver on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

MarleysGh0st

#65 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Welcome, Alan, and thanks for bringing this thread forward to let us all get another glimpse at some good times! 8)

akcarver

#66 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:47 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Welcome, Alan, and thanks for bringing this thread forward to let us all get another glimpse at some good times! 8)
Thank you for the welcome, Marleys. I wish I'd found the bored years ago. I probably would have had a great PAF list if I had.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#67 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:31 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: I like this guy.

I really like this guy.

Have I mentioned yet how much I like this guy?

One of the best contestants EVER.

Nihil obstat® so far.
Thank you for the kind words, Nelly.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#68 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Thousandaire wrote:I wonder if Meredith being scared/annoyed is just an act.
I certainly had that impression, and I was sitting closer to her than anyone else. She never said anything to me, and neither did anyone else on the crew. I think that she was initially put off by my gameplay, but once she twigged to it, she seemed to settle down and go with it.

I never meant to scare anyone. I was trying, perhaps somewhat unsuccessfully, to be funny, and to finish as quickly as I could to not only bank a lot of time, but also to give someone else a chance to play without having to pay to come back another day.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#69 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote: If, as T-bone says, he was this way from the time he hit the studio, I find it hard to imagine that they would have actually chosen him for the 'guaranteed syndi seat' ROF. Making me wonder if that wasn't a spur of the moment thing they came up with when it became pretty obvious during the final taping that there was only going to be one new contestant that episode.
I assure you that TPTB had planned from the beginning that any contestants left over after the final anniversary taping would be carried over to the syndicated show. We (or at least I) were asked during our qualifying call if we would be available in early September (in case of carryover) and also late September (if we were lucky enough to be part of the ToT, which we weren't told about until tape day).
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#70 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Kazoo65 wrote: I would need to ATA on the fruit question, too.
I didn't know the answer, not because some bozos out there thought my weight showed I didn't like fruit, but because an orange is an orange is an orange in my mind. I don't care if it's a clementine, a navel, or a valencia, it's an orange to me.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

akcarver

#71 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Peyton Farquhar wrote:As far as the guy's social skillz, he ought to have acknowledged the audience's help.

I agree. I apologize for my oversight on this matter.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#72 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow, this is like a stroll down memory lane.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

akcarver

#73 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:01 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Alan Carver
Federal Way, WA
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tournament of Ten pecking order:
1. Will Capp, $25,000, 2:39
2. Karen Geddeis, $16,000, 1:23
3. Melissa Brown, $16,000, 1:34
4. London Pfahler, $8,000, 1:14
5. Russell Carmon, $1,000, 0:41
6. Kazia MacLeod, $1,000, 0:42
7. Matt Sittel, $1,000, 0:53
8: Brian Peterkin, $1,000, 1:04
OK, if time is the "tiebreaker", why is Melissa #3 when she has more banked time than Karen, who is #2?
The time shown is not time banked, but time used. Since Karen used less time than Melissa, she is ranked higher.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA

MarkBarrett

#74 Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:38 pm

It was fun to see the 2009 game again and thread revival thanks to Alan's input.

Alan: You are the same Alan Carver on the scoreboard each cycle for the weekly trivia by Ken Jennings? Nice scores. If you have any interest in discussion of Jeopardy! games, refugees from the taken down official Sony message board are now hanging out here: http://www.jboard.tv/

In rewatching your ladder with Meredith I wondered how things might have changed if you had used Carpenter for the orange question? You would not have used the ATA for the James question? Would that have been a 50:50 play or the phone call?

akcarver

#75 Post by akcarver » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:29 am

MarkBarrett wrote:It was fun to see the 2009 game again and thread revival thanks to Alan's input.

Alan: You are the same Alan Carver on the scoreboard each cycle for the weekly trivia by Ken Jennings? Nice scores. If you have any interest in discussion of Jeopardy! games, refugees from the taken down official Sony message board are now hanging out here: http://www.jboard.tv/
Yes, I am the same person on the Ken Jennings lists. The question sevens are almost always very tough for me, keeping me out of the top spot fairly always.
MarkBarrett wrote:In rewatching your ladder with Meredith I wondered how things might have changed if you had used Carpenter for the orange question? You would not have used the ATA for the James question? Would that have been a 50:50 play or the phone call?
That is certainly a scenario that I have gone over in my head repeatedly over the last two years. I would have then used the ATA for the James question. Of course, we don't know how that would have turned out at all. Laurie says she knew the answer, having heard the quote on the Today show a few weeks earlier. Unfortunately, she was not available as a PAF. My one available PAF did not know either, and everyone I asked in person since then gave the same answer I did. There was little hope for getting that answer right. I should have stopped.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA