I Spy...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#26 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Welcome back, Jai. We've missed you! After all the times we've had to move the board, I'm glad you found us again.

hf_jai

#27 Post by hf_jai » Fri May 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Whoohoo for Beebs! Five years is a new lease.

And hello to you, Annie. Ricky would like a girl-friend. He had a girl cousin, but she loved to run and run and run... and at 5 months got hit by a car. It just about broke our hearts. Her name was Lucy... get it? Lucy, Ricky....

We still have Angie. She's about 5yo now.

Greetings, sprots! Nice to see you again.

So many names I remember well. But it may take me a bit to sort out exactly who's who.
Last edited by hf_jai on Sat May 10, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#28 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri May 09, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about Lucy. I got hit, too. I will spare you a long story, but I'm still around only because a lot of strangers stopped their cars and helped to keep me alive. I'm a lucky girl.

Lizbit looks something like Angie, especially upside down, so maybe Ricky will think my sister is pretty, too.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

peacock2121

#29 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:09 pm

hf_jai wrote:Nice to be back.

And nice to meetcha, Evil Squirrel.

(Someone's gonna have to clue me in on this squirrels and snakes thing lb mentions above.)

Kids are doing good, I guess. Karl is in Germany, about to deploy to Kosovo in another day or two. Hannah is a junior in high school. I hope she makes it to senior. Don't know if the pump has changed her life, but I guess it's got to be better for her than all those shots. She has a new gizmo that takes blood sugar readings continuously and sends them right to the pump, but she doesn't like to use it. Can't say as I blame her -- it comes with a really big needle -- but if we can get it going right, it should make her blood sugar more stable.

My health hasn't been great. I'm five years cancer free, and that's the good news. But when I quit smoking two years ago, I put on about 30 lbs and became diabetic. Also found a uterine tumor (not malignant) and a huge kidney stone., but they're both gone now. Seems like I take a zillion pills every day and I just HATE that. But at least I still can. :roll:
I will keep Karl in my thoughts.

5 years! Excellent news. I am sure your doctor would rather you have the 30 pounds and the diabetes than having you smoking still or again. I am glad you are still here to take all those pills. Keep taking them.

fuzzywuzzy

#30 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm

[/quote]

I don't remember getting an e-mail, but I've missed a lot of mail over the last few years. Fairway? We should do lunch some time.[/quote]

I will be in contact with you when the semester is over. I am at the KU Med. Do you remember that you, me & jayhawker were going to go to the Plaza? jayhawker doesn't post much.

I will be in touch jai!

fuzzy aka Kelly
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

wbtravis007

#31 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:00 pm

hf_jai wrote:Wow. Sorry about that. Decided to change my avatar and it took me a while. I'm thru with politics. For a while anyway. I'm willing to debate with friehnds, but I can't stand watching the Democrats pick a sure loser... again. It's just too painful.

Better to put my energy in my dogs. This one is Ricky. He's almost 11 months old. Good looker, ain't he?
Good to see you jai.

I'm gonna resist responding on the political comment, except to say that maybe he'll end up asking your dream candidate to join him on the ticket. I don't think he will, but you never know.

They'd set the record for the lowest combined body fat percentage on a ticket, and I'd bet big money that it wouldn't ever be broken. So, even if they were to lose, at least they'd have that.

Okay. One more comment. Don't worry about the Democrats losing. It ain't gonna happen -- unless the Clintons want them to. And, even if they do, I still wouldn't bet on it.

hf_jai

#32 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Okay. One more comment. Don't worry about the Democrats losing. It ain't gonna happen -- unless the Clintons want them to. And, even if they do, I still wouldn't bet on it.
Oh Obama will lose. That much is as good as certain. The Clintons will have nothing to do with it, altho they will be blamed, like they are for everything else.

It's all about who controls the media.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#33 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 10, 2008 4:53 pm

hf_jai wrote:
Oh Obama will lose. That much is as good as certain. The Clintons will have nothing to do with it, altho they will be blamed, like they are for everything else.

Welcome back, but just one question "from which planet or dimension are you communicating?"

I am serious about the welcome back.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

wbtravis007

#34 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:04 pm

hf_jai wrote:

Let's assume that it's Obama vs. McCain and others. Would you vote? If so, who would get your vote?

hf_jai

#35 Post by hf_jai » Sun May 11, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for the welcome man!

wtb, it doesn't matter who I vote for (I know, bad grammar). I live in KS. I will probably write someone in. There is almost zero chance that Obama will pick Wes Clark as his VP which is probably the only thing that might bring me around. But even then, it won't matter.

Let me ask you two something. What states do you think Obama will win that will give him the electoral college majority? Florida is lost, and most likely both Ohio and PA too. I'll be suprised if he does any better than Dukakis.

Take a look at this map and read the analysis:
http://hominidviews.com/?p=1509

Obama is behind McCain in most of the national polls, not that they matter, and the GOP/527s have barely started on him. I don't know if Clinton can win either -- lord knows she has her disadvantages and baggage -- but Obama doesn't stand a chance.

wbtravis007

#36 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 pm

hf_jai wrote:Thanks for the welcome man!

wtb, it doesn't matter who I vote for (I know, bad grammar). I live in KS. I will probably write someone in. There is almost zero chance that Obama will pick Wes Clark as his VP which is probably the only thing that might bring me around. But even then, it won't matter.

Let me ask you two something. What states do you think Obama will win that will give him the electoral college majority? Florida is lost, and most likely both Ohio and PA too. I'll be suprised if he does any better than Dukakis.

Take a look at this map and read the analysis:
http://hominidviews.com/?p=1509

Obama is behind McCain in most of the national polls, not that they matter, and the GOP/527s have barely started on him. I don't know if Clinton can win either -- lord knows she has her disadvantages and baggage -- but Obama doesn't stand a chance.
I think that the political landscape is such that either one would beat McCain like a government mule. The thing that has worried me about Hillary is the percentage of people who say that they wouldn't vote for her under any circumstances. From the beginning, that number has been too close to 50% to suit me. She has been a much better campaigner than I figured she'd be, and I think that most people think a lot more highly of her now than they did earlier. But, the negatives remain really high. And, she' a uniter, not a divider, when it comes to the Republicans. I'm also alarmed by the numbers now re: do people consider her to be honest or trustworthy.

I said earlier that unless the Clintons want Obama to lose, you shouldn't worry about it. I really think, though, that even if they do, he'll still win. (When I say "the Clintons," I'm also talking about their supporters.) I'm not surprised to see that you're saying that you probably won't support Obama. I kind of figured that you were following the sss track here: urging the Dems to avoid nominating him because "he can't win," and then trying to help fullfill that prophecy by voting for McCain or sitting it out. You said that if he loses it won't be the Clintons fault, but that they'll be blamed. Well, I say that if by "the Clintons" you're aloso including their supporters, like you, who will not help him beat McCain, then you certainly deserve a share of the blame.

To answer your question, I think that Obama, with or without your and sss's support, will win every state that Kerry did, plus a fair share of these states, all of which I think will be in play: Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Missouri, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisianna, West Virginia, and ... before I give my Dean yeowl ... let me add one more:
Spoiler
Kansas
In other words, I think it's gonna be a slaughter.

I should point out that I have a standing offer here to put money on Obama. The only one who's taken me up on this so far is Kusch. (I've got Obama, he's got the field. Whoever loses donates $25 to the winner's charity of choice.)

Since you seem to be so thoroughly convinced that Obama's chances are next to zero, I'm hoping that you'll want to put some money up.