Verbatim from IRS website(FAQ)-re Economic Stimulus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

#26 Post by TheConfessor » Fri May 09, 2008 12:26 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Are you looking at the expression of opinions as 'political campaign activities'?
Sure, if it involves advocacy for a particular candidate or party.

peacock2121

#27 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:29 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Are you looking at the expression of opinions as 'political campaign activities'?
Sure, if it involves advocacy for a particular candidate or party.
I can get that.

I actually kind of like it.

Not that I am prejudiced or anything.

Appa23

#28 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Now that I am on my personal time:

I must give some props to Confessor and Pea for their instincts in a very confusing area of the Hatch Act.

Here is the general idea in this area of the Hatch Act. Federal employees (like Earendel, AJ, and others) do not surrender their Constitutional rights at the doorstep of their work. The Hatch Act does not prohibit all political discourse by a federal employee. In fact, it explictly protects the right to express opinions on political subjects and candidates publicly and privately. In short, the Hatch Act does not prohibut "water cooler" type discussions and exchanges of opinion concerning the vents of the day. This water cooler talk may actually be face-to-face or via electronic methids, under an ever-increasing word of technology. In general, the Hatch Act concerns itself with "leafleting" and "electioneering" in the workplace or through use of governmetn resoruces (including time).

Admittedly, it is an area where there might be a fine line based on the facts, and matters are resolved on a case-by-case basis.

This also is an area that is taken seriously, with a minimum 30 day suspension for violations, up to termination.
Last edited by Appa23 on Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ommax3

#29 Post by ommax3 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Sorry Appa...must do it....

Here is the general idea in this area of the Hatch Act. Federal employees (like Earendel, AJ, and others) do not surrender their Constitutional rights at the doorstep of their work. The Hatch Act does not prohibit all political discourse by a federal employee. In fact, it explictly(SPELLING ERROR) protects the right to express opinions on political subjects and candidates publicly and privately. In short, the Hatch Act does not prohuibt(NOT A WORD)"water cooler" type discussions and exchanges of opinion concerning the vents of the day. This water cooler talk may actually be face-to-face or via electronic methids(AGAIN, NOT A WORD), under an ever-increasing word(DID YOU MEAN WORLD) of technology. In general, the Hatch Act concerns itself with "leafleting" and "electioneering" in the workplace or through use of governmetn(huh? YOU WERE WHAT RANK IN YOUR LAW SCHOOL CLASS AND EDITOR OF THE LAW REVIEW AND YOU STILL CAN'T PROOFREAD WORTH JACK) resoruces (including time).

love you...
your wife, the kindergarten teacher
married to Appa23, 3 great kids...him..well...

Appa23

#30 Post by Appa23 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Geez, you type fast so that you can catch a bus, trying to get home to your loving family, and . . .

Yes, I stink at typing.

Btw, my wife was one of my PAFs, and she is smarter than I am. (Clearly! :oops: )

TheConfessor

#31 Post by TheConfessor » Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

ommax3 wrote:Sorry Appa...must do it....
Sorry ommax3... must do it....

On 4/1/2008, you misspelled "appalled."
Good for you sitting with your child in the lunch room. I am appaled that any school adminstrator or teacher would humilate a child in public!
Welcome to this board. I hadn't noticed you here before today. Keep giving Appa a hard time, but only when he deserves it!

tlynn78

#32 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Keep giving Appa a hard time, but only when he deserves it!

She has a full-time job, ya know. Sometimes the rest of us must step up. :lol:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

hf_jai

#33 Post by hf_jai » Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Getting back to the original topic....

You folks reminded me I've been meaning to look for a rebate calculator. Dammit. I found the one at irs.gov and found out we will probably only get about $400. I knew it wouldn't be much. We took out a big chunk of hubby's 401k last year to pay off some debt and it pushed us up to an artificially high AGI. No way to see that coming I'm afraid.

What I should have seen coming was that we also lost our child credit, and this was the last year we could have taken it. Oh well.

Considering how the stock market has tanked since we sold, maybe we did the right thing after all.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#34 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:31 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Sorry ommax3... must do it....

On 4/1/2008, you misspelled "appalled."
Good for you sitting with your child in the lunch room. I am appaled that any school adminstrator or teacher would humilate a child in public!
Welcome to this board. I hadn't noticed you here before today. Keep giving Appa a hard time, but only when he deserves it!
Ooh. Ooh. Administrator was wrong, too.

Ommax, I'm just pleased to be able to type a complete sentence, so pay me no attention.

Keep coming back!
Well, then

MarleysGh0st

#35 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat May 10, 2008 6:09 am

Here is the general idea in this area of the Hatch Act. Federal employees (like Earendel, AJ, and others) do not surrender their Constitutional rights at the doorstep of their work. The Hatch Act does not prohibit all political discourse by a federal employee. In fact, it explictly(SPELLING ERROR) protects the right to express opinions on political subjects and candidates publicly and privately. In short, the Hatch Act does not prohuibt(NOT A WORD)"water cooler" type discussions and exchanges of opinion concerning the vents of the day. This water cooler talk may actually be face-to-face or via electronic methids(AGAIN, NOT A WORD), under an ever-increasing word(DID YOU MEAN WORLD) of technology. In general, the Hatch Act concerns itself with "leafleting" and "electioneering" in the workplace or through use of governmetn(huh? YOU WERE WHAT RANK IN YOUR LAW SCHOOL CLASS AND EDITOR OF THE LAW REVIEW AND YOU STILL CAN'T PROOFREAD WORTH JACK) resoruces (including time).

love you...
LOL!

Who knew that Appa was married to the Spelling Police!? :lol:

BTW, I'm glad that the Hatch act allows "discussions and exchanges of opinion concerning the vents of the day."

We usually have some pretty good vents around here! :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

love you...
LOL!

I'm even slower on the uptake. I don't have ommax in my rankings logs because I thought it was one of HD's MM's. :oops:

At least I can finally add someone with an adjustment higher than zero since I know HoltMom posted on the old Boreds....

lb13

peacock2121

#37 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

love you...
LOL!

I'm even slower on the uptake. I don't have ommax in my rankings logs because I thought it was one of HD's MM's. :oops:

lb13
You mean like BernieMac?

Jeemie

I hope everybody realizes that...

#38 Post by Jeemie » Sat May 10, 2008 9:26 am

...since the stimulus checks are made of invented money, and since in this environment the money will almost certainly NOT lead to real increased economic activity, then receiving these checks will lead to inflation.

Therefore, this is one of those nice cases where you will receive a check and yet your real wealth will DECREASE.

Happy days, everyone!
1979 City of Champions 2009

hf_jai

Re: I hope everybody realizes that...

#39 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 am

Jeemie wrote:...since the stimulus checks are made of invented money, and since in this environment the money will almost certainly NOT lead to real increased economic activity, then receiving these checks will lead to inflation.

Therefore, this is one of those nice cases where you will receive a check and yet your real wealth will DECREASE.

Happy days, everyone!
Not sure where you got your numbers, but she picked up two yesterday.

hf_jai

#40 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 am

WTF? That's not what I typed there.

Boy, am I confused. :shock:

hf_jai

#41 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 10, 2008 11:31 am

Starting over...

I wrote that what Jeemie posted was true, but that not getting a check at all, or getting a very small one, means a greater decrease in real wealth than everybody else.

I forget the rest of what I wrote, but it was no doubt incredibly profound.

;)

Jeemie

#42 Post by Jeemie » Sat May 10, 2008 12:58 pm

hf_jai wrote:Starting over...

I wrote that what Jeemie posted was true, but that not getting a check at all, or getting a very small one, means a greater decrease in real wealth than everybody else.

;)
Yeah- but if you didn't get a check, that means you're already rich, and can afford a hit to your real wealth...right?

:D
1979 City of Champions 2009

peacock2121

#43 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Jeemie wrote:
hf_jai wrote:Starting over...

;)
Yeah- but if you didn't get a check, that means you're already rich, and can afford a hit to your real wealth...right?

:D
right