The Princess Bride

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:32 am

christie1111 wrote:Pea, if it matters, I would recommend the movie.

It is a fairy tale that is cleverly done.

The characters are top notch. There is dialogue that is very witty.

I watch it almost ever time I see it on.

I avoid Blazing Saddles with a vengence. Husband loves it, I think it is childish humor.

I love The Princess Bride.
What did you love about it? What were you left with afterward? How did it change you? Was it simply entertainment or something more?

peacock2121

#27 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 am

BackInTex wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:What did you get from the movie? What do you think I will get?

If all I'll get is entertainment, I have plenty of things I can do to be entertained without going out of my way to rent a movie, watch it on a DVD player that is in an inconvenient place or worse yet, put it in my computer and watch on a teeny screen in a small office.

We enjoyed it. We like you so we recommended it to you thinking you might enjoy it.

That is all.

You are being a Queen B***H. :x
I am sorry. I do not mean to be a Queen B***H.

I just don't get it.

kusch

#28 Post by kusch » Thu May 08, 2008 7:45 am

peacock2121 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:That didn't speak to me.

I am not running out to rent the movie.

Too bad, for you.

The movie has been discussed, heralded, quoted, and otherwise referred to more than any other movie in the history of this board and all its incarnations. It is quoted by others outside this forum constantly, probably as much as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will.
That it is said in the same context as Monty Python and Holy Grail is exactly why I am not piqued.

I will take issue with this comment: If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will

I am sure there is something someone could say, they just haven't said it yet.

I also keep saying what people could say and no one is saying it.

What did you get from seeing the film and what do you think I will get?

No one needs to care enough to answer me. If they do, that's great, if not, that's fine.
Not sure I would go the BiT route and call you a Q.....B, but I will say the BS meter is on.

Since we each take different views of things from movies, none of us can possibly know what you could "see" or "get" from this movie.

Suppose a thread was started about smoking and I came along and made the statement something along the line of "I can not see myself not smoking. Tell me what I could possiblly see or get from not smoking because I sure don't?" I believe (or think anyway) that you would still make an attempt to convince me otherwise via suggestions and what not. You would wonder why I have such a "closed" mind about the option of not smoking and maybe I should reconsider.

You would be making a suggestion, not telling me what to do. To me that is all anyone is doing here, giving you a suggestion--you can do what you want with it, really you can. But don't berate (too strong of word, I know) someone for giving you an opinion or suggestion.

BackInTex

#29 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 08, 2008 7:56 am

kusch wrote: Not sure I would go the BiT route and call you a Q.....B, but I will say the BS meter is on.

But don't berate (too strong of word, I know) someone for giving you an opinion or suggestion.
I don't think she is berating anyone. She seems to be sitting on a throne, eyes looking skyward so as to not make eye contact with the lessor people who's time is obviously less valuable than her's.

Asking others to spend more of their less valuable time explaining why we are recommending a movie to her, why she should spend some of her valuable time watching it, so as to not waste her valuable time watching something she may not get whatever out of.

Sort of a female version of Humperdink.

P.S. No one explain to her anything about Humperdink. If she is interested let her watch the movie. :twisted:
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

nitrah55

#30 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 am

One movie containing all these people:

Mandy Patinkin
Wallace Shawn
Billy Crystal
Andre the Giant
Peter Falk

And they all appear to be having the time of their lives making this movie.

It's just fun.
I am about 25% sure of this.

Appa23

#31 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 am

BackInTex wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:What did you get from the movie? What do you think I will get?

If all I'll get is entertainment, I have plenty of things I can do to be entertained without going out of my way to rent a movie, watch it on a DVD player that is in an inconvenient place or worse yet, put it in my computer and watch on a teeny screen in a small office.

We enjoyed it. We like you so we recommended it to you thinking you might enjoy it.

That is all.

REC! infinity squared!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

earendel

#32 Post by earendel » Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 am

nitrah55 wrote:One movie containing all these people:

Mandy Patinkin
Wallace Shawn
Billy Crystal
Andre the Giant
Peter Falk

It's just fun.
And let us not overlook:

Chris Sarandon
Christopher Guest
Cary Elwes
Robin Wright (Penn)
Fred Savage
Peter Cook
Carol Kane
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#33 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:05 am

peacock2121 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

That is all.

I am sorry. I do not mean to be a Queen B***H.
Yes, you do. You know you do.
Last edited by Appa23 on Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

slam

#34 Post by slam » Thu May 08, 2008 8:06 am

<i>The Princess Bride</i> is one of those movies that you either "get" or you don't. If you "get" it, you think it's one of the best movies of all-time for a variety of reasons. If you don't, you think it's utter drivel. From pea's comments, I very well think that she's one who won't "get" it and seeing it will indeed waste her time. Live and let live.

FWIW, this movie is one of my all-time favorites.

gsabc

#35 Post by gsabc » Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 am

peacock2121 wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Pea, if it matters, I would recommend the movie.

It is a fairy tale that is cleverly done.

The characters are top notch. There is dialogue that is very witty.

I watch it almost ever time I see it on.

I avoid Blazing Saddles with a vengence. Husband loves it, I think it is childish humor.

What did you love about it? What were you left with afterward? How did it change you? Was it simply entertainment or something more?
Putting in my two cents' worth here. Pea, we apparently approach movies from different directions. I view them as entertainment, not something life-changing. At $8 a ticket, or even just $3.99 for Comcast On Demand, I don't expect anything deep or inspiring. I just want to escape for a couple of hours and be entertained in the process. Logic and adequate suspension of disbelief ("You will believe a man can fly") are necessary. If I want to run out and buy the DVD, meaning I want to see it again and again, so much the better.

For Princess Bride, I agree with everything Christie says. It's not so much "Blazing Saddles" as "This is Spinal Tap" or "Best in Show". Takes itself seriously, but manages to insert at some point just about every stereotype and cliche you can think of from fables and fairy tales. There aren't really any big laughs, but I guarantee smiles and a general sense of enjoyment at the end.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 am

You're being unnecessarily nasty, Appa. As you pointed out last evening, Pea had come back from an Landmark Forum seminar and is trying to put some of what she's learned there into practice. We can choose not to engage in that particular dialog while still remaining civil.

Appa23

#37 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:You're being unnecessarily nasty, Appa. As you pointed out last evening, Pea had come back from an Landmark Forum seminar and is trying to put some of what she's learned there into practice. We can choose not to engage in that particular dialog while still remaining civil.
Interesting that you put "civil" in a conversation about Pea, when I have seen no civility from her.

Still, I should not stoop to her level, you are right.

Bixby17

#38 Post by Bixby17 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:43 am

BackInTex wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:I disagree with BiT about the ceremony. I think too many folks are more serious about the wedding than they are about the marriage. If the partners are not committed to sticking it out, it doesn't matter how proper or solemn the ceremony is. If they are committed, then it doesn't matter how light or even silly the ceremony is.
I agree many folks put too much emphasis on the wedding. I'm not talking about the wedding. Knock yourself out on the invites, flowers, receptions, band, buffet, whatever.

But the ceremony itself, the vows, the instruction given by the officiator to the bride and groom, the "presentation" to the witnesses of your seriousness and commitment to the marriage.

If you are serious about the marriage and are inviting people to the ceremony, I would think the purpose is to present yourself to those people as being serious about the commitment. It is not a comedy show. You are not inviting the people there to be entertained. That can be done anytime. You don't have to get married to do that.
I agree. As it relates to the vows, I just think it is inappropriate.

One of my favorite weddings was a very casual one where everyone drank Shiner Bock through the ceremony. Of course, that is a fairly spiritual beer as far as beers go.

But my thought is as it relates to the PB type officiating a. it is inappropriate for a sacred event, b. very few people could get away with the Princess Bride clergyman--if you don't do it spot on, it isn't very funny.

Pea.
The Princess Bride is not only an entertaining and funny movie with a great script and acting, but it also has interesting things to say about love and life. I think you would find it worthwhile.

TheCalvinator24

#39 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 am

peacock2121 wrote:
nitrah55 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: I'll let the narrator tell you:
It is a celebration of, and lampooning of, every sword/sorcery/quest movie ever made. And is has some terrific performances/cameos.
Sounds like Blazing Saddles to me.

I hated that movie.

Is it different from that flavor?
VERY different from Blazing Saddles. The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies of all-time.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#40 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 am

Bixby17 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:I disagree with BiT about the ceremony. I think too many folks are more serious about the wedding than they are about the marriage. If the partners are not committed to sticking it out, it doesn't matter how proper or solemn the ceremony is. If they are committed, then it doesn't matter how light or even silly the ceremony is.
I agree many folks put too much emphasis on the wedding. I'm not talking about the wedding. Knock yourself out on the invites, flowers, receptions, band, buffet, whatever.

But the ceremony itself, the vows, the instruction given by the officiator to the bride and groom, the "presentation" to the witnesses of your seriousness and commitment to the marriage.

If you are serious about the marriage and are inviting people to the ceremony, I would think the purpose is to present yourself to those people as being serious about the commitment. It is not a comedy show. You are not inviting the people there to be entertained. That can be done anytime. You don't have to get married to do that.
I agree. As it relates to the vows, I just think it is inappropriate.

One of my favorite weddings was a very casual one where everyone drank Shiner Bock through the ceremony. Of course, that is a fairly spiritual beer as far as beers go.

But my thought is as it relates to the PB type officiating a. it is inappropriate for a sacred event, b. very few people could get away with the Princess Bride clergyman--if you don't do it spot on, it isn't very funny.

Pea.
The Princess Bride is not only an entertaining and funny movie with a great script and acting, but it also has interesting things to say about love and life. I think you would find it worthwhile.
We dint really talk, we E-mailed, and I told her about my reservations. She isn't worried about point a. and agrees with point b. The whole point of the exercise is keep things light, so less than one box of Kleenex will be required, and if it isn't funny, well then, we'll need TWO boxes of Kleenex.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 08, 2008 9:27 am

Pea, don't make me have William Goldman come up there and bitch-slap you.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#42 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 am

That's nasty, too, Bob!

tlynn78

#43 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:30 am

Ditto.

Peaby:

I have not one, but two dvd's of this movie, just in case. Not only will I stop and watch it from whatever point I might stumble across it on tv, I actually feel like I've found a treasure each time it happens. I could probably quote most of the movie. I smile everytime I think about it. It's just fun. and funny. And I adore Mandy Patinkin. If you don't particularly enjoy spoofery, it may not be your cup of tea. That's okay. More Princess Bride for me.

t.

Mandy Patankin, Billy Crystal,
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#44 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am

p.s.

It might be an interesting study for Pea, simply based on the quite diverse section of the bored that counts it among their favorite films.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

TheCalvinator24

#45 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am

nitrah55 wrote:One movie containing all these people:

Mandy Patinkin
Wallace Shawn
Billy Crystal
Andre the Giant
Peter Falk

It's just fun.
Also:

Carol Kane
Christopher Guest
Peter Cook
Fred Savage
Cary Elwes
Robin Wright Penn

I think the movie is very entertaining. However, I think it is more that mere entertainment. The interplay between Falk and Savage's characters is an under-appreciated part of this movie.

This is one of the few movies that I can watch again and again and never be bored.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

peacock2121

#46 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 am

kusch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Too bad, for you.

The movie has been discussed, heralded, quoted, and otherwise referred to more than any other movie in the history of this board and all its incarnations. It is quoted by others outside this forum constantly, probably as much as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will.
That it is said in the same context as Monty Python and Holy Grail is exactly why I am not piqued.

I will take issue with this comment: If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing we can say will

I am sure there is something someone could say, they just haven't said it yet.

I also keep saying what people could say and no one is saying it.

What did you get from seeing the film and what do you think I will get?

No one needs to care enough to answer me. If they do, that's great, if not, that's fine.
Not sure I would go the BiT route and call you a Q.....B, but I will say the BS meter is on.

Since we each take different views of things from movies, none of us can possibly know what you could "see" or "get" from this movie.

Suppose a thread was started about smoking and I came along and made the statement something along the line of "I can not see myself not smoking. Tell me what I could possiblly see or get from not smoking because I sure don't?" I believe (or think anyway) that you would still make an attempt to convince me otherwise via suggestions and what not. You would wonder why I have such a "closed" mind about the option of not smoking and maybe I should reconsider.

You would be making a suggestion, not telling me what to do. To me that is all anyone is doing here, giving you a suggestion--you can do what you want with it, really you can. But don't berate (too strong of word, I know) someone for giving you an opinion or suggestion.
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

If I told you "You should quit smoking." and I had already quit smoking and I said "not smoking was great - you should do it too" and then you asked what I got from not smoking and I said "It was like not eating fish." That would be way different from me saying "After 3 months, I could walk up a hill without panting." "I could play with my grandkid, on the floor for an hour, where while I was smoking I couldn't." "I stopped having to leave the table at a restaraunt and could stay for the conversation. "

While none of those things might hit a cord for you - or be something you would want - they are me sharing what I got.

That is what I was asking.

peacock2121

#47 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:59 am

BackInTex wrote:
kusch wrote: Not sure I would go the BiT route and call you a Q.....B, but I will say the BS meter is on.

But don't berate (too strong of word, I know) someone for giving you an opinion or suggestion.
I don't think she is berating anyone. She seems to be sitting on a throne, eyes looking skyward so as to not make eye contact with the lessor people who's time is obviously less valuable than her's.

Asking others to spend more of their less valuable time explaining why we are recommending a movie to her, why she should spend some of her valuable time watching it, so as to not waste her valuable time watching something she may not get whatever out of.

Sort of a female version of Humperdink.

P.S. No one explain to her anything about Humperdink. If she is interested let her watch the movie. :twisted:
I think I should be sorry that I didn't just ignore marley telling me I should see the movie, and yet I am not sorry.

I do want to know why people think I should do things.

I do want them to know they can contribute to me.

I do want to know why they want me to do something or think I should something.

I do want to know what is on people's minds when they say "You should....."

I know a movie is a silly thing to beat a dead horse about, so maybe that is what I should be sorry about.

peacock2121

#48 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:02 am

slam wrote:<i>The Princess Bride</i> is one of those movies that you either "get" or you don't. If you "get" it, you think it's one of the best movies of all-time for a variety of reasons. If you don't, you think it's utter drivel. From pea's comments, I very well think that she's one who won't "get" it and seeing it will indeed waste her time. Live and let live.

That is what I suspect as well - and I wanted to see if there was something that might be there that would change my mind about it.

TheCalvinator24

#49 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:02 am

People will tell you that "you should" see a movie because they enjoyed it, and they have reason to believe that you will, too.

Sometimes, they are right. Other times, they are wrong.

I recommended Being John Malchovich to a friend of mine, and after she watched it, she questioned my sanity.

TheCalvinator24

#50 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

peacock2121 wrote:
slam wrote:<i>The Princess Bride</i> is one of those movies that you either "get" or you don't. If you "get" it, you think it's one of the best movies of all-time for a variety of reasons. If you don't, you think it's utter drivel. From pea's comments, I very well think that she's one who won't "get" it and seeing it will indeed waste her time. Live and let live.

That is what I suspect as well - and I wanted to see if there was something that might be there that would change my mind about it.
The Princess Bride is one of those rare movies about which I have never met anybody who said they didn't like it or even that they thought it was just "okay." I know such people must be out there, but I've never met one who said it.