Lyrically Speaking - 2/20/13

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: Lyrically Speaking - 2/20/13

#26 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 am

Liberace
Woohoohooo!!!! Hello darlings! It's your favorite girlfriend Liberace here to host another extravagant edition of Wacky Wednesday! I've got a most special parade of some of my favorite artists to show off for you in this game! Today's LS is going to be absolutely fabulous, gayer than an Easter bonnet and as queer as a three dollar bill! And sorry Butch, but no real girls allowed! The only thing from Holland I want to see in today's game is a bunch of lovely tulips!!! Now enjoy the game, while I saddle up Rainbow Donkey and get this pretty procession going! Giddy up, horsie!!!!1

1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist....

1. To avoid complications
She never kept the same address
In conversation
She spoke just like a baroness

Killer Queen -- Queen

2. Words are few I have spoken
I could waste a thousand years
Wrapped in sorrow, words are token
Come inside and catch my tears

Karma Chameleon -- Culture Club

3. And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long
Before you and me run
To the place in our hearts
Where we hide

I Guess that's why they call it the Blues -- Elton John

4. Do you remember
There was a time ahaha
When people on the street
We're walking hand in hand in hand

5. And now as I stand
And stare into your eyes
I see safety there
I want surprises

Brand New Lover -- Dead or Alive

6. I got a girl named Sue
She knows just what to do
I got a girl named Sue

Tutti Frutti -- Little Richard

7. If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen, I ain't fooling and you'd better think again
Out there is a fortune waiting to be had
If you think I'll let it go, you're mad

You've got another thing comin' -- Judas Priest

8. You smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth
You said that irony was the shackles of youth
You wore a shirt of violent green, uh-huh

What's the Frequency, Kenneth? -- REM

9. That's all I wanted
But sometimes love can be mistaken
For a crime
That's all I wanted
Just to see my baby's
Blue eyes shine

Father Figure -- George Michael

10. I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk

Too Sexy -- Right Said Fred

11. All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

12. You keep coming to me
I can dig, you're dynamite
The way you move
Get in the groove
You're driving me crazy
Crazy for you

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist by someone who Liberace would approve for today's game. Everything is Beautiful -- Jim Nabors

5 Point Bonus: What nearly caused Liberace's death back in 1963?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 am

1. To avoid complications
She never kept the same address
In conversation
She spoke just like a baroness
Killer Queen - Queen

2. Words are few I have spoken
I could waste a thousand years
Wrapped in sorrow, words are token
Come inside and catch my tears
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club

3. And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long
Before you and me run
To the place in our hearts
Where we hide
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John

4. Do you remember
There was a time ahaha
When people on the street
We're walking hand in hand in hand
Chains of Love - Erasure

5. And now as I stand
And stare into your eyes
I see safety there
I want surprises
Brand New Lover - Dead or Alive

6. I got a girl named Sue
I got a girl named Sue
Tutti Fruitti - Little Richard

7. If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen, I ain't fooling and you'd better think again
Out there is a fortune waiting to be had
If you think I'll let it go, you're mad
You've Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

8. You smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth
You said that irony was the shackles of youth
You wore a shirt of violent green, uh-huh
What's The Frequency Kenneth - REM (Had no idea Michael Stipe's sexuality was in question until I was doing the research for this game... but it figures since his bald ass looks like one half of the gay couple that frequents my Mecca late at night, and got caught by one of our maintenance members in the men's room playing a game of hold the sausage....)

9. That's all I wanted
But sometimes love can be mistaken
For a crime
That's all I wanted
Just to see my baby's
Blue eyes shine
Father Figure - George Michael

10. I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk
I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred (For a song that really only has one set of lyrics that can be used in LS, this has been an LS staple since the early days of the game....)

11. All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Mad World - Adam Lambert (I have no idea about the sexuality of either member of Tears for Fears [and I grit my teeth saying that because their technically only being a duo cost me a phone game question way back in the day], but I went searching for a Lambert song and chose what appeared to be his most successful. I had no idea it was a TFF original...)

12. You keep coming to me
I can dig, you're dynamite
The way you move
Get in the groove
You're driving me crazy
Crazy for you
Boom Boom - Paul Lekakis (Nothing says late 80's like this wonderful little ditty....)

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist by someone who Liberace would approve for today's game.

While it didn't matter in the regular game since I took any correct artist, you had to Krox a song by an openly gay man, or a band with an openly gay man (I did make exceptions for guys who are very strongly rumored to swing the other way) to get credit. Liberace made it reasonably clear he did not want the sisters in his parade of fabulousness, or there's no way I'd have left Etheridge out of this game were that the case....

5 Point Bonus: What nearly caused Liberace's death back in 1963? - Inhaling too much cleaning fluid, which led to renal failure

I accepted just renal failure, though I was really looking for the odd way it happened. Props to melly and Fanny for mentioning the date, because when I noticed it on Liberace's Wiki page, I instantly became suspicious about its authenticity... but I guess for once my skepticism was misplaced. It would have made a damn good question had I just checked into it a bit further...
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#28 Post by Sistine Fanny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 am

mikehardware wrote: Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist by someone who Liberace would approve for today's game.

Bed Intruder Song- Antoine Dodson

You are so dumb.....
It's the Final Countdown.....

starfish1113

#29 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am

littlebeast13 wrote: Mad World - Adam Lambert (I have no idea about the sexuality of either member of Tears for Fears [and I grit my teeth saying that because their technically only being a duo cost me a phone game question way back in the day], but I went searching for a Lambert song and chose what appeared to be his most successful. I had no idea it was a TFF original...)
I looked up Tears For Fears after playing yesterday and found that they are both married with children. Not that that necessarily means anything, but they wouldn't fit in this particular instance.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 am

JJC Points:

smiler gets 2 JJC points for his answer to the bonus...

mini gets 2 JJC points for reading my blog and thinking of the frequency....

frank gets 2 JJC points for tracking down Phyllis and Liberace getting together. Now we know why Liberace became gay....

vandal gets a JJC point for his answer to the bonus....

starfish gets 2 JJC points for rankings and for pointing out the Pet Shop Boys video I'd never seen before.... it reminds me of every computer screen saver that was popular in the mid to late 90's...

etaoin gets 3 JJC points for his answer to the bonus which even inspired an avatar....

melly gets a supermax for candelabras, being the first to mention the coincidence, and the funny story....

TBone gets a supermax for flipping off the PC police...

mike gets 2 JJC points for Antoine....

Search gets a JJC point... you know, I think I'm now fascinated by the word candelabra...

clem gets a supermax for being a pussy, recalling my other run-ins with the PC police, and for Chevy Chase...

Jessie gets a supermax for the best and most disgusting answers, and for putting Pete Burns' ugly ass on the wrong song....

Fanny gets a supermax for lending me the Dadism, saggy drag queens, Josie Cotton, and 11/22/63. That could be later demoted to just 3 JJC points, however, if I can officially place "You Spin Me Round" on Fishie's countdown....

Esto gets 3 JJC points for his answer to the bonus...

smiler 8+2
Weasel 14
mini 20+2
frank 10+2
vandal 10+1
starfish 24+2
etaoin 9+3
melly 21+5
elwood 6
mntetn 5
TBone 20+5
Krox 6
mike 8+2
Search 14+1
clem 2+5
Hottie 15
Jessie 12+5
Fanny 23+5
Bob 2
Esto 20+3
mrkelley 20
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#31 Post by Sistine Fanny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 am

etaoin gets 3 JJC points for his answer to the bonus which even inspired an avatar....
Fanny was wondering what ES could have played so badly that Sprotsie Baby beaned him with the candelabra.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:
Fanny was wondering what ES could have played so badly that Sprotsie Baby beaned him with the candelabra.....

PEEKABOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'd dig up Peekaboo ES, but thanks to the #&@*( Photobucket upgrade, getting to the stuff in the back ends of my albums is way too much more trouble than it's worth now....

lb13

Lower than Beast 6.5
Merry Man

#33 Post by Lower than Beast 6.5 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Sistine Fanny wrote:

I'd dig up Peekaboo ES, but thanks to the #&@*( Photobucket upgrade, getting to the stuff in the back ends of my albums is way too much more trouble than it's worth now....

lb13
I've taken to calling it Photofuckit lately...
I'm not worthy.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#34 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 am

Lower than Beast 6.5 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Sistine Fanny wrote:

lb13
I've taken to calling it Photofuckit lately...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the upgrade was a piece of shit. But I have too many pictures over there now, plus a year and a half left of pro membership to burn off, which pretty much leaves me sucking it up....

lb13

elwoodblues

#35 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am

I just wanted to mention that you could have used any Elton John song for this game, and you chose one of his lesser hits to make it more of a challenge. Likewise, for Tuesday's game you chose not to use the obvious Come Together, which I probably would have led off with. (But I still can't believe you didn't use Come On Eileen.)

This is another example of the effort you put into this, and it shouldn't go unnoticed.

Lower than Beast 6.5
Merry Man

#36 Post by Lower than Beast 6.5 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

elwoodblues wrote:I just wanted to mention that you could have used any Elton John song for this game, and you chose one of his lesser hits to make it more of a challenge. Likewise, for Tuesday's game you chose not to use the obvious Come Together, which I probably would have led off with. (But I still can't believe you didn't use Come On Eileen.)

This is another example of the effort you put into this, and it shouldn't go unnoticed.
He just did that to make me type two long song titles in a row! :P :P :P :P
I'm not worthy.

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#37 Post by Sistine Fanny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

littlebeast13 wrote: 5 Point Bonus: What nearly caused Liberace's death back in 1963? - Inhaling too much cleaning fluid, which led to renal failure

I accepted just renal failure, though I was really looking for the odd way it happened. Props to melly and Fanny for mentioning the date, because when I noticed it on Liberace's Wiki page, I instantly became suspicious about its authenticity... but I guess for once my skepticism was misplaced. It would have made a damn good question had I just checked into it a bit further...
I think the Wikipedia is wrong here (shocking, I know.....). As usual, a case of right church, wrong pew. If just inhaling dry cleaning fluid led to renal failure, everybody on my dad's side of the family would have been on dialysis just from pulling the extractor.......

Also, you obviously aren't familiar with Antoine Dodson, or Mike would be having himself some JJCP. Not trying to rag your scoring, I'm just goading you into looking up Antoine. Trust me, you'll thank me for it.......

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#38 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 am

elwoodblues wrote:I just wanted to mention that you could have used any Elton John song for this game, and you chose one of his lesser hits to make it more of a challenge. Likewise, for Tuesday's game you chose not to use the obvious Come Together, which I probably would have led off with. (But I still can't believe you didn't use Come On Eileen.)

Interesting perspective.... I don't consider "I Guess..." to be one of Elton's lesser hits. Still gets played to death on the radio here...

I think Come Together got bumped because I originally had it in the cover song game (I do have a fondness for the Aerosmith version), but wound up replacing it there with another song. Not sure why I didn't use Eileen since it's another LS staple despite the garbled lyrics, but I am still just under halfway through with the season, I may have it in another game....

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#39 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: 5 Point Bonus: What nearly caused Liberace's death back in 1963? - Inhaling too much cleaning fluid, which led to renal failure

I think the Wikipedia is wrong here (shocking, I know.....). As usual, a case of right church, wrong pew. If just inhaling dry cleaning fluid led to renal failure, everybody on my dad's side of the family would have been on dialysis just from pulling the extractor.......

Also, you obviously aren't familiar with Antoine Dodson, or Mike would be having himself some JJCP. Not trying to rag your scoring, I'm just goading you into looking up Antoine. Trust me, you'll thank me for it.......

I knew who Antoine (not to be confused with Antwon) was as soon as I hit enter on Google and the YouTube popped up. I think you were the one who sprang that on us in chat one night. I did render a verdict of exceptionally gay, but wasn't compelled to go to the JJCP well, which I normally will for someone who rarely gets JJC points.... I may fix that later....

BTW, "someone who knows who she is" fell down on the job by not playing with this MM.....

lb13

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#40 Post by Sistine Fanny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
I knew who Antoine (not to be confused with Antwon) was as soon as I hit enter on Google and the YouTube popped up. I think you were the one who sprang that on us in chat one night. I did render a verdict of exceptionally gay, but wasn't compelled to go to the JJCP well, which I normally will for someone who rarely gets JJC points.... I may fix that later....

BTW, "someone who knows who she is" fell down on the job by not playing with this MM.....

lb13
Shame on me for thinking that you wouldn't look up something if you weren't familiar with it. Just Antoine himself might not have garnered points, it was more that he made the song reference the Bed Intruder.

Then again, I obviously have different ideas about JJCP than most......ha!

PS I generally don't use a bit for my krox. I was planning on using Walter Are You Queer in the game, but I knew too damned many of the real songs.....ha! On further reflection, Big Ten Inch would have been a better krox if I was going for a joke.

PPS Ha! on Adam Lambert. I actually like him and I've never heard of that song. Then again, I don't have any of his albums (I don't like him that much....) and mostly just know the songs that have been released as singles.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#41 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Sistine Fanny wrote:Shame on me for thinking that you wouldn't look up something if you weren't familiar with it.

LOL, now I know you know me better than that! The only reason my lazy ass even got as far as Googling it was because it was a Krox I had to score. Kiki hasn't been around much lately to look stuff up for me....

lb13

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#42 Post by etaoin22 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Sistine Fanny wrote:

not ordinary dry cleaning fluid, but the much more toxic carbon tetrachloride, still sold to the public in the early sixties as a spot remover and also used by philatelists to view the 'watermarks' hidden during the manufacture of the paper used for postage stamps. .Has been banned for non-industrial use for at least 25 years.
Liberace, it seems, started cleaning his costumes as a response to hearing the terrible news of the assassination of President Kennedy. This makes psychological sense , as finding some apparently meaningful albeit small task is often the best we can do after hearing overwhelmingly bad news. Unfortunately, he ingested enough of the poison to probably affect both the liver and the kidney, and was fortunate that dialysis was available in Pittsburgh hospital (St. Francis) to save his life. During the toxic delirium, he was visited by a nun dressed in white, unlike the darkly garbed real-life Franciscan nuns, and the nun in white is listed among famous Pennsylvania ghosts and apparitions. (amazing what you learn from Google -- I really should leave out the nun in white in order to be most logical, but ...; I do remember stamp-collecting books then often referred to the use of carbon tetrachloride for watermarks -- I suppose fortunately I never progressed deeply enough in the hobby to actually try it)