Retroactive good luck to Rafferbee

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Phil Ken Sebbin

Re: Retroactive good luck to Rafferbee

#26 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Spoiler
Great job today and I hope you have a nice long run! We may also need a ringer for our trivia team so you may be getting a call!
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#27 Post by hermillion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Spoiler
My Academic Team was MUCH more interested in watching Megan compete today than in brushing up on the periodic table and current events! One of them mentioned how much fun you seemed to be having while playing the game, and how your reactions made J! more enjoyable to watch.

We have a match tomorrow afternoon, but several of my kids are planning to DVR the game on their own. Megan, you have a fan club at Carver Middle School!

Congratulations on a great game, and I'm looking forward to many more games!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Spoiler
I was so afraid that those small daily double bets would do you in, but you managed to get the lead on him going into the final (and knew the answer), which is all that matters. Best of luck tomorrow!!

And if you led people to believe you didn't do well, tsk tsk. I can't imagine someone appearing on a quiz show and letting people think he or she bombed out.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

heelsrule1988

#29 Post by heelsrule1988 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Spoiler

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#30 Post by secondchance » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Spoiler
Wow! Fantastic job, Megan! I'm still smiling. :)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#31 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Spoiler
YAY MEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#32 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 am

Rafferbee wrote:
Spoiler
Thank you everyone! I am super tired and I don't know if I'm feeling my baby kick for the first time or if my stomach is just doing somersaults from the excitement, but I am so happy I finally get to share this with everyone.

When I called AlphaDummy from the airport, I told him "Well, I won't tell you how I did, but I went up against a 5-day champion. But I held my own, I'm proud of how I competed."

"Oh, that's too bad," he said. That's when I realized it would be fun to make my family think I lost without ever saying it. So my parents were wigging out tonight!
It's been far too long since RJ!C made an appearance here. Go for it. You've earned it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#33 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 am

It's probably safe to unspoilerize, but just in case...
Spoiler
WOOHOO!!!!!
One thing I'd like to ask, but can't over on the J! board (for reasons that will become obvious), is Tom as Vulcan-like as he seemed? Even during the post-game interviews he seemed to have that Zachary Quinto/Spock intensity. How was he in the green room?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#34 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spoiler
I was so afraid that those small daily double bets would do you in, but you managed to get the lead on him going into the final (and knew the answer), which is all that matters. Best of luck tomorrow!!

And if you led people to believe you didn't do well, tsk tsk. I can't imagine someone appearing on a quiz show and letting people think he or she bombed out.
Spoiler
Just for the sake of RB, who's only been around a couple of years, that is pure SSSarcasm.....
lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

vettech

#35 Post by vettech » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:46 am

Spoiler
Congrats! I hope the trend of women appearing on WWTBAM and then doing well on J! continues. :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 am

earendel wrote:One thing I'd like to ask, but can't over on the J! board (for reasons that will become obvious)
Wait. What's that?

Would you happen to have a taping coming up on a certain game show which you're not supposed to talk about on a certain game show's message board?

earendel

#37 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:One thing I'd like to ask, but can't over on the J! board (for reasons that will become obvious)
Wait. What's that?

Would you happen to have a taping coming up on a certain game show which you're not supposed to talk about on a certain game show's message board?
No, I was referring to the rather personal nature of the question and the fact that Tom is a member of the J! board. I didn't want to seem as if I was insulting him, so I thought I'd ask here instead.

I'm still waiting to see if I get an invitation to the auditions in Lexington.

Bob Juch

#38 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Just for the sake of RB, who's only been around a couple of years, that is pure SSSarcasm.....
lb13
Found it! How do you spoilerize an avatar?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#39 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 am

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
lb13
Found it! How do you spoilerize an avatar?

You don't spoilerize an avatar.....

If there are people who still haven't seen RB's show and want to, they probably shouldn't be looking in here today.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#40 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

Spoiler
AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin knew I had liked Tom and had been pulling for him last week, but I told her yesterday I wanted the girl to win, and she watched it with me. She was so excited, too!

I hope she stays excited for many days to come....

I have much Kipling, but I can see where Tom would choose sari, since he writes about India. Good choice of burqua!!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

Rafferbee

#41 Post by Rafferbee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:45 am

earendel wrote:It's probably safe to unspoilerize, but just in case...
Spoiler
WOOHOO!!!!!
One thing I'd like to ask, but can't over on the J! board (for reasons that will become obvious), is Tom as Vulcan-like as he seemed? Even during the post-game interviews he seemed to have that Zachary Quinto/Spock intensity. How was he in the green room?
Tom was very serious and prepared a bunch before coming on the show, so I think that was the intensity you saw. Once the taping day was over everyone from the last two shows went out to dinner at the hotel, and he was able to relax. That's when we found out that we were both J! Boardies, and we've been private-messaging and joking around ever since. His dry sense of humor might not come across so well on TV, but he is no Vulcan in real life. I'm happy to call him a friend.

Thank you all for the well wishes! I have been overwhelmed by all the support my friends have shown me. I've never gone on facebook to see that I had 50 wall posts before. My parents and family were thrilled, though my big extended Irish family twitted me about not getting any of the beer clues.

I'm so happy to hear I have young Academic Team fans! They are the future.

ReigningJeopardyChamp
Merry Man

#42 Post by ReigningJeopardyChamp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

J! Champ's getting PAID, y'all!

wintergreen48

#43 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

I have probably not watched J! in at least ten years: but this episode was worth the wait.
Spoiler
It is great to see someone really having fun with it, and the outcome was a delight.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

Rafferbee

#44 Post by Rafferbee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

LB, I love, love, love the new avatar! When I get the time I'm going to steal it for my livejournal.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#45 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am

ReigningJeopardyChamp wrote:J! Champ's getting PAID, y'all!
Good to see you back. You've been missed. Hope you stick around a while. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#46 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

By the way, because of my ongoing cable issues my TiVo recorded half an hour of Home Shopping Network (channel 8) instead of Jeopardy! (channel 7). If a video of the show becomes available on line, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it. Thanks. --Bob

tlynn78

#47 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Most excellent - can't wait for tonight!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:By the way, because of my ongoing cable issues my TiVo recorded half an hour of Home Shopping Network (channel 8) instead of Jeopardy! (channel 7). If a video of the show becomes available on line, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it. Thanks. --Bob
My cable went out Friday, Saturday and yesterday. They said it was a "local system outage". If it's out when I come home from work today I'm going hunting.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#49 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:By the way, because of my ongoing cable issues my TiVo recorded half an hour of Home Shopping Network (channel 8) instead of Jeopardy! (channel 7). If a video of the show becomes available on line, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it. Thanks. --Bob
My cable went out Friday, Saturday and yesterday. They said it was a "local system outage". If it's out when I come home from work today I'm going hunting.
For cable service or for cable service technicians?

"Be vewwy, vewwy quiet - I'm hunting wepaihmen."

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#50 Post by frogman042 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Rafferbee wrote:
earendel wrote:It's probably safe to unspoilerize, but just in case...
Spoiler
WOOHOO!!!!!
Tom was very serious and prepared a bunch before coming on the show, so I think that was the intensity you saw. Once the taping day was over everyone from the last two shows went out to dinner at the hotel, and he was able to relax. That's when we found out that we were both J! Boardies, and we've been private-messaging and joking around ever since. His dry sense of humor might not come across so well on TV, but he is no Vulcan in real life. I'm happy to call him a friend.

Thank you all for the well wishes! I have been overwhelmed by all the support my friends have shown me. I've never gone on facebook to see that I had 50 wall posts before. My parents and family were thrilled, though my big extended Irish family twitted me about not getting any of the beer clues.

I'm so happy to hear I have young Academic Team fans! They are the future.
When Tom had the solo FJ last week, I popped over the the J! board (which I hardly visit) and saw some great excanges between you and Tom - and I guessed that the two of you had faced-off. Knowing what a formable opponent Tom was, I was concerned but had a sense you would triumph! The other thing I sensed is that you two became friends and that Tom has a wicked sense of humor (from the thread and certain things during the show). I'm glad to see that my hunches turned out to be correct!

BTW, there was also a number of discussions on who Tom resembled, to me he looked a lot like Jason Jones from The Daily Show - did that come up at all?

All in all - a great job, I'm so happy for you and your family!