More Random Observations (non-political)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

#26 Post by christie1111 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Ummm, fantine?

I hate to admit it, but I don't know who that is in your avatar. Not the bums walking away, the other blond.
If I dint know the nationality of your husband, I might take umbrage at that description. Given your background, I think that is a more than fair description.
LOL!

From one Brit by marriage to another!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

ne1410s

#27 Post by ne1410s » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Hardee's commercials do it for us. When one of those slobbering finger licking smarmy girlboys do their thing, it is a full on chase as to who can hit the remote first.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:53 pm

peacock2121 wrote:since I have no family values.

I am going to be so bold as to call bullshit on that one.

You have them - they just might not match up with many other's family values. You have them.

Really, you do.
Heck, even Charlie Manson had "family values".
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#29 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm currently annoyed by the Toyota commercials suggesting you commit insurance fraud so you can get a new car.

I really loved the "So you got a pony" commercial for the cell phone
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

fantine33

#30 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm

peacock2121 wrote:since I have no family values.

I am going to be so bold as to call bullshit on that one.

You have them - they just might not match up with many other's family values. You have them.

Really, you do.
You are right. I should have said, "since I have no family values that are of the Focus on the Family variety".

Oral B Roberts
Merry Man

#31 Post by Oral B Roberts » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:04 pm

earendel wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote:Agree about those BK commercials; obviously they want to show that their customers are loyal and really enjoy the product, but these people are nuts.

I've seen a series of commercials from some online dating service that is a rival of e-harmony.com that are so awful that I wonder if they are actually sabotage commercials run by e-harmony.com itself. They basically show some geek or geekette who has been rejected by eharmony.com, 'even though I'm a nice geek/geekette,' and then the voice over goes on about how (I am slightly paraphrasing) 'we don't know why e-harmony.com has turned down a gazillion customers, but sign on with us and you'll get a million free dates in your first week.' All this tells me is that e-harmony.com probably has some standards and tries to avoid bad matches, while the competitor will match anyone with anyone and hope for the best. I don't know if e-harmony.com actually does what it says it does, but why would a matchmaking/dating service want to boast that 'we do anybody,' given that (I suspect) the biggest complaint people have about these kinds of services is that you get hooked up with losers?
eHarmony does have standards - but they may not be what you think. The company was co-founded by Dr. Neil Clark Warren (the guy who appears in their ads). Dr. Warren has strong ties to the Christian right, and the company was heavily promoted by James Dobson's Focus on the Family organization. Unlike other matchmaking services eHarmony is only interested in people who are looking for long-term relationships and who meet certain criteria (no gays, for instance). Their "personality profile" can trip applicants up also - they are graded by computer and "inconsistent" answers may cause the application to be rejected. People who are currently married or under 21 are not accepted, either.

Now I'm not saying that eHarmony is a bad thing, but "normal" people could end up being rejected and not know why.

eHarmony isn't the only Authority who will be rejecting these people! I don't know if Dr. Warren will take a check, but I'll be glad to take one in the name of the Lord for anyone who doesn't meet His 29 dimensions of compatability....
Please make all checks payable to Oral B Roberts Ministries

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:09 pm

If we're going to go off on commercials that annoy us, then I have to bring up those Visa comercials that create the false impression that plastic is faster than cash at the register. Anytime I see someone in front of me whip out the plastic, I know I can just chill out for a couple minutes....

lb13

Bob Juch

#33 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:12 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:If we're going to go off on commercials that annoy us, then I have to bring up those Visa commercials that create the false impression that plastic is faster than cash at the register. Anytime I see someone in front of me whip out the plastic, I know I can just chill out for a couple minutes....
Well it's not as fast as they make it seem, but it is faster than cash, especially when customers and cashiers can't count.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#34 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:If we're going to go off on commercials that annoy us, then I have to bring up those Visa commercials that create the false impression that plastic is faster than cash at the register. Anytime I see someone in front of me whip out the plastic, I know I can just chill out for a couple minutes....
Well it's not as fast as they make it seem, but it is faster than cash, especially when customers and cashiers can't count.

No, no, no, and never.

Of course, I typically don't go to places in the evening when the cashiers who can't count usually come out. But the FASTEST plastic transaction I have ever witnessed still took longer than the average time it takes my cash transaction to be completed....

Credit card transactions are especially messy. The convenience in them is certainly not in the transaction process itself...

lb13

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#35 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:29 pm

I'll take a credit card transaction over the lady who watches them ring up $100+ worth of groceries, then starts looking for her checkbook, ask the clerk for today's dates, reads over the check two or three times before finally tearing it out of the checkbook, then the clerk has to ask for her drivers license and get the damn thing approved.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:34 pm

kayrharris wrote:I'll take a credit card transaction over the lady who watches them ring up $100+ worth of groceries, then starts looking for her checkbook, ask the clerk for today's dates, reads over the check two or three times before finally tearing it out of the checkbook, then the clerk has to ask for her drivers license and get the damn thing approved.

Those people have their own level of hell waiting for them.

But even the swiftest, most prepared person with plastic can kill a line....

lb13

TheCalvinator24

#37 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm

I agree that cash is slightly faster than Plastic, but if it's a Debit card, then I'm almost as fast with my plastic as I would be with Cash.

If the registers didn't do the math for the cashiers, I'd never use cash because I've had them get glassy-eyed when I give them $10.12 when the purchase total is $4.87. And that's even if the register is going to do the math for them.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bixby17

#38 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 am

Commercials?

I generally don't like the Bud Light commercials, but I really enjoy the "dude" ones.

MarleysGh0st

#39 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:48 am

Since we're complaining about commercials, I think I can speak for my fellow New Yorkers in saying we've heard quite enough from the unfortunate smoker in those public services spots who had heart attacks and strokes starting at 29 and then had to have his leg amputated. Your foot stopped getting blood and turned all kinds of colors...we got that! :(

nitrah55

Re: More Random Observations (non-political)

#40 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:49 am

traininvain wrote: In the last month I've had about a half dozen people say that I look like Anderson Cooper, I have no real problem with this (even after I heard that he was gay), but for whatever reason I'm getting tried of being told that I look like someone famous. I know, better to look like someone famous then to be famous. In the early eighties I looked like Dave Edmunds (OK, not very famous), then it was Rick Astley (blink and you'll miss him famous), then it was John McEnroe (I despise him so much that I can't look at him famous), and now it's Cooper, whom I'm sure will do something to put a black cloud over my features. On top of all this, I DO NOT LOOK LIKE ANY OF THESE PEOPLE!
When I was in my 30s, about once a year, someone would come up to me and ask me if I was Michael McDonald. On a visit to EPCOT, the troll at the Norway pavillion thought I was George Lucas.
I am about 25% sure of this.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#41 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 am

I like the Creepy King commercials. They Get It in a way Ronald McDonald never will.

I liked the Rock Me Baby commercial the first three times, then not so much the next 678. On the same day. It'll get to be Like a Rock, where you won't be able to stomach the song ever again. Like they warn you about selecting a ring tone--be prepared to question why you ever liked the song enough to choose it in the first place.....

Bob Juch

#42 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Since we're complaining about commercials, I think I can speak for my fellow New Yorkers in saying we've heard quite enough from the unfortunate smoker in those public services spots who had heart attacks and strokes starting at 29 and then had to have his leg amputated. Your foot stopped getting blood and turned all kinds of colors...we got that! :(
Oh yes! I'm sure it's not very effective because every smoker knows that's an extreme case. He obviously had other medical issues that smoking exaberated.

If anyone saw how my mother died, they'd quit yesterday.

Bob Juch

#43 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 am

minimetoo26 wrote:I like the Creepy King commercials. They Get It in a way Ronald McDonald never will.

I liked the Rock Me Baby commercial the first three times, then not so much the next 678. On the same day. It'll get to be Like a Rock, where you won't be able to stomach the song ever again. Like they warn you about selecting a ring tone--be prepared to question why you ever liked the song enough to choose it in the first place.....
I find the Rock Me Baby commercial very creepy as well. Sometimes I'm tempted to TiVo everything.

Bob Juch

#44 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 am

Bob Juch wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Since we're complaining about commercials, I think I can speak for my fellow New Yorkers in saying we've heard quite enough from the unfortunate smoker in those public services spots who had heart attacks and strokes starting at 29 and then had to have his leg amputated. Your foot stopped getting blood and turned all kinds of colors...we got that! :(
Oh yes! I'm sure it's not very effective because every smoker knows that's an extreme case. He obviously had other medical issues that smoking exaberated.

Ack! It just came on again during the noon news. :(

moonie

#45 Post by moonie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:42 am

If you watch any football at all this season, then you are probably ready to hit John Mellencamp in the head for singing "This is My Country' yet again.

The best commercial I've seen lately is where the guy says 'throw me a fastball" (or something like that), and the other guy throws it right through the big-screen plasma on the wall.

I could see myself do that if Im not careful!
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

MarleysGh0st

#46 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:15 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

They've been airing that more often than the political ads in New Hampshire! :roll:

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#47 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:19 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Oh yes! I'm sure it's not very effective because every smoker knows that's an extreme case. He obviously had other medical issues that smoking exaberated.

They've been airing that more often than the political ads in New Hampshire! :roll:
Marley, that is simply not possible. It is against the laws of physics, the rules of nature and the mindset of current politics for anything to air more often than political ads during a campaign. I've probably told 200,000 people today to stop exaggerating. ;)
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

earendel

#48 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 pm

moonie wrote:If you watch any football at all this season, then you are probably ready to hit John Mellencamp in the head for singing "This is My Country' yet again.

The best commercial I've seen lately is where the guy says 'throw me a fastball" (or something like that), and the other guy throws it right through the big-screen plasma on the wall.

I could see myself do that if Im not careful!
I'd love to see a moratorium on Peyton Manning commercials - I don't care what the product is. The most annoying one right now is the Sony commercial.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#49 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:27 pm

The commercial I'd most like to ban is

ANYTHING THAT MENTIONS HANNAH MONTANA, HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 1 2 3 6 9 10 34 ETC, OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH RADIO DISNEY, THE DISNEY CHANNEL.

eh-hum. Sorry. I needed to get that off my chest.

Does anyone realize how defeating it is to listen to the end of a brilliant, beautifully balanced, news report on NPR, and then switch to Radio *&^&*^& Disney to keep the little ones placid? It wouldn't be so bad if they more than 3 artists whose songs they play.

I may start a new station, Radio Fingernails On a Chalkboard, because any parent who has listened to more than 15 minutes of Radio *&^&*^& Disney would consider it a much more soothing, pleasing program.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

MarleysGh0st

#50 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Rexer25 wrote:Marley, that is simply not possible. It is against the laws of physics, the rules of nature and the mindset of current politics for anything to air more often than political ads during a campaign. I've probably told 200,000 people today to stop exaggerating. ;)
Maybe it just seems that way because the political ads haven't reached here yet. We'll see if the candidates have any money left for the New York primary. That's just four weeks away!