Transcript 09/10/09 - Melissa Brown (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tanstaafl2

Re: Transcript 09/10/09 - Melissa Brown (carryover)

#26 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Tournament of Ten Leader Board

1. Will Capp $25,000 - 2:39
2. Karen Geddeis $16,000 - 1:23
3. Melissa Brown $16,000 - 1:34
4. Kazia MacLeod $1,000 - 0:42
5. Matt Sittel $1,000 - 0:53
6. Brian Peterkin $1,000 - 1:04

-- Commercial Break --
I presume these are all from the "Lucky Nine" invited to play at the end of PTBAM? They have been damned impressive so far.

Too bad they didn't get their shot during primetime. That would have really done wonders for the ratings...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#27 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:

-- Commercial Break --
I presume these are all from the "Lucky Nine" invited to play at the end of PTBAM? They have been damned impressive so far.

Too bad they didn't get their shot during primetime. That would have really done wonders for the ratings...
You forgot to use sarcafont.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#28 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:

-- Commercial Break --

I guess this means that those PTBAM contestants just can't handle the tougher Syndi version - regardless of the method of getting on :twisted:

Appa23

#29 Post by Appa23 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Why?
Because grass and red clay are different. :roll:
Why would you assume that a contestant sitting in the hotseat, who doesn't know the answer, would think about that?
I presume that a person in the hot seat has a minimum degree of cultural literacy, which includes sports.

Just because you don't follow sports as all does not mean that you shouold not know that the Yankees play in New York, or that the Cowboys play in Dallas.

Similarly, I expect that one would have heard about Wimbledon's grass courts as an item of "general knowledge". (Masters in Augusta, Georgia and the Green Jacket being another example of a cultural literacy item from a minor sport.)

YMMV.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#30 Post by frogman042 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 pm

frogman042 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

-- Commercial Break --

I guess this means that those PTBAM contestants just can't handle the tougher Syndi version - regardless of the method of getting on :twisted:
(Note: I realize that I am responding to myself - but it is not really a response - just an add-on)

I just want to clarify that I am in no way trying to disparage or insult any of these folks. I know how hard it is and the final $ outcome is not a barometer on the intelligence or any other metric on any of these folks. My point, if it wasn't clear, was to poke fun at the notion that there is some sort of real difference between the quality of players between the two versions of the shows (PT and Syndi) with usually some of those who like to raise it somehow think that the Syndi folks just aren't as worthy as those from the PT days - usually pointing out the differences in the amount won between the two. Given this is really the first and only real (if only partial since only a % were phone game qualifiers) cross-over group and given the moans about the overall performance to date, I couldn't resist.

Actually, I think the two sets probably have the same distribution in terms of knowledge, ability, risk taking aversion, etc. With the exception of ability (which is what the test tries to screen for), I'm convinced that TPTB do not use these other attributes as screening factors. But, of course, I don't have any real inside knowledge.

Jeemie

#31 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Because grass and red clay are different. :roll:
Why would you assume that a contestant sitting in the hotseat, who doesn't know the answer, would think about that?
I presume that a person in the hot seat has a minimum degree of cultural literacy, which includes sports.

Just because you don't follow sports as all does not mean that you shouold not know that the Yankees play in New York, or that the Cowboys play in Dallas.

Similarly, I expect that one would have heard about Wimbledon's grass courts as an item of "general knowledge". (Masters in Augusta, Georgia and the Green Jacket being another example of a cultural literacy item from a minor sport.)

YMMV.
Even if they knew that, they might not know enough about tennis to understand the nuances of the different surfaces.

A huge 33% spike was a distractor. That was obvious.

You don't think so because you know the answer, and are familiar with tennis.

She didn't.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#32 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Appa23 wrote:Just because you don't follow sports as all does not mean that you shouold not know that the Yankees play in New York, or that the Cowboys play in Dallas.
I thought the Cowboys played in Irving. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

gsabc

#33 Post by gsabc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Appa23 wrote:Similarly, I expect that one would have heard about Wimbledon's grass courts as an item of "general knowledge". (Masters in Augusta, Georgia and the Green Jacket being another example of a cultural literacy item from a minor sport.)

YMMV.
Heard of it, yes, as well as the US Open's hard court and the French Open's clay. Whether I recognized that part of the clue and made the connection in the heat of battle (and under 30 seconds) is another story.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#34 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 pm

gsabc wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Similarly, I expect that one would have heard about Wimbledon's grass courts as an item of "general knowledge". (Masters in Augusta, Georgia and the Green Jacket being another example of a cultural literacy item from a minor sport.)

YMMV.
Heard of it, yes, as well as the US Open's hard court and the French Open's clay. Whether I recognized that part of the clue and made the connection in the heat of battle (and under 30 seconds) is another story.
Crap- I didn't even see that part of the clue!

And I WASN'T in the Hot Seat.

A lesson for me if I'm sitting in that chair reading the questions and answers with 15 seconds.

That happened to me on the test tonight too. One of the questions I missed was because I misread what they were asking for.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#35 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Jeemie wrote:
gsabc wrote:

YMMV.

A lesson for me if I'm sitting in that chair reading the questions and answers with 15 seconds.

That happened to me on the test tonight too. One of the questions I missed was because I misread what they were asking for.
You have more than 15 seconds. The clock doesn't start until the answers appear. Meredith reads the question before they display the answers.

If reading comprehension under these circumstances is an issue, then I suggest you practice by watching Jeopardy!. You have much less than 15 seconds there to read the question and come up with an answer, and in an open-ended format rather than multiple choice. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#36 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:18 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Just because you don't follow sports as all does not mean that you shouold not know that the Yankees play in New York, or that the Cowboys play in Dallas.
I thought the Cowboys played in Irving. --Bob
Starting this season they will be playing in Arlington.

Jeemie

#37 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
gsabc wrote:Heard of it, yes, as well as the US Open's hard court and the French Open's clay. Whether I recognized that part of the clue and made the connection in the heat of battle (and under 30 seconds) is another story.

You have more than 15 seconds. The clock doesn't start until the answers appear. Meredith reads the question before they display the answers.

If reading comprehension under these circumstances is an issue, then I suggest you practice by watching Jeopardy!. You have much less than 15 seconds there to read the question and come up with an answer, and in an open-ended format rather than multiple choice. --Bob
I have been practicing with all kinds of timed questions- J!, Sploofus, the BAM online games.

I'll get it eventually- I do have to watch for it. Careless reading the first time through is a weakness of mine.

I'm hoping Meredith reading the question at the same time would help me. I never seem to have this trouble watching Jeopardy!, and I didn't when I was at Play-It! I had other problems, but reading comprehension wasn't one of them.

supportivemom

#38 Post by supportivemom » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm

One persons smart is another persons stupid! What is one persons easy is another persons hard. No way can you judge a persons intelligence based their play on a game show, they had to know something to even get a shot.

MarleysGh0st

#39 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:38 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:

-- Commercial Break --

Since nobody else answered your question in the sarcafont conversation that followed, yes, these are all members of the that final ROF.

earendel

#40 Post by earendel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:14 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Melissa Brown
Syracuse, NY
Psychology graduate student

Melissa is broke, basically. She's living off her loans and has had to drop some luxuries like cable TV. She's down to ten channels, but she still gets Millionaire!
I know the feeling...<*sigh*>
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000 * Tops in Tennis
Getting red clay on his knees as he dropped to them in joy, what tennis tournament did Roger Federer win for the first time in 2009?

A: Australian Open B: Wimbledon
C: French Open D: U.S. Open

With 19 seconds left, Melissa decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 4% B: 33% C: 49% D: 14%

With 10 seconds left, Melissa decides to Double Dip.

Melissa's first answer is
Spoiler
B
Melissa's second answer is
Spoiler
C
Answer
C: French Open ( 5 )
I'm not a big fan of tennis but I do read about it when the big tournies are being played. Wimbledon is played on grass, the U.S. Open on asphalt/cement and the French Open is played on clay. I don't know about the Australian Open but the "red clay of Roland Garros Stadium" is part of my memory bank.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 * Bad Guys
Referred to as "the Napoleon of Crime," what literary villain is the nemesis of Sherlock Holmes?

A: Augustus Melmotte B: Colonel Pyncheon
C: Roger Chillingworth D: Professor Moriarty

With 19 seconds left, Melissa decides to Ask The Expert.

John: That's D: Professor Moriarty, 100%.

Melissa: That's what I was thinking, too, but I wanted to be sure, so thank you, very much!
Answer
D: Professor Moriarty ( 10 )
Thanks to a lifetime of reading the stories and two episodes of ST:TNG! Melissa, you shouldn't have wasted the lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Such Great Heights
Which of these U.S. landmarks is the tallest?

A: Statue of Liberty B: Gateway Arch
C: Washington Monument D: Capitol Building

With 18 seconds left, Melissa decides to Phone A Friend.

Melissa PAF team are her friend, Chris, Syracuse, NY; her friend, Fred, Syracuse, NY; and her uncle, Doug, Cato, NY. Melissa calls Chris.

Chris: Tallest U.S. landmark?

Melissa: Yes, out of those four.

Chris: All right. Statue of Liberty--

Melissa: Gateway Arch, Washington Monument, Capitol Building. Thirteen seconds.

Chris: [Repeats some of the Q & A to someone else in the room.]

Melissa: Eight seconds! Five!

Chris: Give me a guess!

Melissa: Three!

[Time runs out.]

Melissa thinks she has a great idea, but she doesn't want to risk it. She walks away with $16,000.
Answer
B: Gateway Arch ( 5 )
That was a PAF call gone wrong. I seem to recall seeing a stat somewhere that showed the SoL and WM underneath the Arch.

Nihil obstat® - going for the $50K with all lifelines still available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."