Transcript 09/09/09 - Matt Sittel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 09/09/09 - Matt Sittel

#26 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 am

Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's a short article about Matt's appearance.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/58169282.html

BTW, WOWT, she's really only "NBC’s Meredith Vieira" when she's on the Today Show. :wink:
Marley, didja notice that peacock on the top of the WOWT page?

In Omaha, she always is NBC's Meredith. ;)
Yes, but I'm being picky about the difference between a network show and a syndicated show aired on a network station. So, there! :wink:

chad1m

#27 Post by chad1m » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 am

mellytu74 wrote:So, you've never seen a commercial for Subway, the sandwich chain, then? Ryan Howard is its spokesman. There are national commercials with him and Jared. His name is on the screen.
Yes, I've seen a Subway ad. No, I've never noticed Ryan Howard as the spokesman.

"Piss-poor excuse?" Aren't we getting a bit haughty over a lil' ol' game show?

Remember: Everyone acquires his or her knowledge differently.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

mellytu74

#28 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:33 am

chad1m wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:So, you've never seen a commercial for Subway, the sandwich chain, then? Ryan Howard is its spokesman. There are national commercials with him and Jared. His name is on the screen.
Yes, I've seen a Subway ad. No, I've never noticed Ryan Howard as the spokesman.

Sorry, chad.

I should have put a transition phrase in there.

The piss-poor excuse comment wasn't directed toward you. It was directed toward bad PAF selection.

If you know your strengths and weaknesses, you should use your PAFs to fill them. I think we've all thought that for 10 years.

It just distresses me to see something like this happen -- even if it's NOT a BB :D -- because the question WASN"T about The Office.

It was about the National League MVP in 2006.

It's a sports question disguised as a TV question and we've all seen Hot Seaters who have been able to cut to the chase and ask the right PAF the essence of the question.

Sorry for the confusion.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#29 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:30 am

mellytu74 wrote:
chad1m wrote:

Sorry, chad.

I should have put a transition phrase in there.

The piss-poor excuse comment wasn't directed toward you. It was directed toward bad PAF selection.

If you know your strengths and weaknesses, you should use your PAFs to fill them. I think we've all thought that for 10 years.

It just distresses me to see something like this happen -- even if it's NOT a BB :D -- because the question WASN"T about The Office.

It was about the National League MVP in 2006.

It's a sports question disguised as a TV question and we've all seen Hot Seaters who have been able to cut to the chase and ask the right PAF the essence of the question.

Sorry for the confusion.
I'm glad you clarified, Mel, because I was shocked that you would be so Philly-centric as to think that anybody who didn't know who Ryan Howard was just had a piss poor excuse.

I only know who Ryan Howard is (vaguely) because it's a joke in my family that I always call him Josh Howard (confusing him with the Maverick) and think that he plays for a Florida team (confusing him with Dwight Howard) and my nephew always rolls his eyes at me and corrects me. The joke started because he was on the cover of ESPN magazine and that Subway ad happened to come on tv when we were all at my mom's house.

But, honestly, I think that they probably show that ad a whole lot more in the Philadelphia/East Coast area than anywhere else. I saw it maybe a couple of times, but they constantly showed the Reggie Bush one and that race car driver dude. Even Tony Parker got more play than Ryan Howard. If you had asked me who did the subway ads for baseball, I doubt I could have told you (I didn't remember how the joke got started until you mentioned the Subway campaign). Most of the Subway ads in recent memory have been of the "5..5....5 dollar footlong..." variety over any of the celebrity ones.

I don't follow baseball, so I honestly have no idea who recent MVPs have been and, although I know the name Ryan Howard due to the aforementioned anecdote, I might have not been able to even name the team for which he plays. I'm certain I would not have been able to pick him out of a lineup.

Plus this cat had a really good excuse, he lives in Nebraska! Besides the ad probably not getting a lot of play there, they don't even have any pro teams in their state to follow. They're stuck with KC teams, and they only have two (both of which could be argued aren't "real" pro teams, either. Ha!)

I do agree that any excuse for not having a sports PAF is a piss poor one, especially if you don't follow pro sports simply because you don't have any local ones.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

MarleysGh0st

#30 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:42 am

Southpaw Fanny wrote:I do agree that any excuse for not having a sports PAF is a piss poor one, especially if you don't follow pro sports simply because you don't have any local ones.
Any excuse?

How about:

1. You're only allowed three PAFs to cover all possible categories of questions.
2. Medium to high level sports questions are rare on WWTBAM.
3. Google PAFs can generally cover the occasional sports question, along with most others.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#31 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:I do agree that any excuse for not having a sports PAF is a piss poor one, especially if you don't follow pro sports simply because you don't have any local ones.
Any excuse?

How about:

1. You're only allowed three PAFs to cover all possible categories of questions.
3. Google PAFs can generally cover the occasional sports question, along with most others.
Note that I said "especially if you don't follow sports".

1. If, out of three people, you don't have even ONE of them that is fairly knowledgeable about sports, you either didn't pick very well or you didn't have much of a choice. As someone who knows jack about sports, I would think that you would definitely want somebody that knows sports rather than somebody who knows about stuff you already know about.

2. If you don't know anything about sports, then you're going to get a sports question. It's the natural orneriness of things. And if that's the case, a low level question is going to be a mid to high level question for you, no matther what they call it. Please don't fall into that trap of just assuming that you're going to cruise to the high level questions and concentrate on just covering those, because then you'll be out on your ass before you even get to them.

3. If you want to rely on Google and pin your hopes on not having a screen freeze up, their internet flash down, the call not going through, it being a difficult to google question, not having that particular PAF be available because something came up, then be my guest. But don't expect sympathy because any excuse you have would be a piss poor one.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Any excuse?

How about:

You could pick three people blindly off the street and I bet you one of them would know the answer to that question, considering the fact that only one of the choices is even the name of a Major League Baseball player, and a rather famous one at that (If even Fanny has some familiarity with him, and he played after 1986, he MUST be famous!).....

And sports is enough of a trivia vein that if I didn't know anything about it, you better damn well bet I'd have a PAF who did. I'm sure it's not hard to find a sports fan who also has different areas of expertise......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#33 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Any excuse?

How about:

You could pick three people blindly off the street and I bet you one of them would know the answer to that question, considering the fact that only one of the choices is even the name of a Major League Baseball player, and a rather famous one at that (If even Fanny has some familiarity with him, and he played after 1986, he MUST be famous!).....

And sports is enough of a trivia vein that if I didn't know anything about it, you better damn well bet I'd have a PAF who did. I'm sure it's not hard to find a sports fan who also has different areas of expertise......

lb13
Exactly! It's not difficult to get someone who knows a lot of stuff that includes sports. It's not like you need to get an expert on Greek red-figure vases, even if they know absolutely nothing else useful.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#34 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:12 pm

And ha! I had to go back and really look again because I was wondering how Sprots knew about my 1986 thing.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#35 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:And ha! I had to go back and really look again because I was wondering how Sprots knew about my 1986 thing.....

Sorry for the confusion, but I have to leave it up until she sees it........

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Jeemie

#36 Post by Jeemie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Any excuse?

How about:

lb13
Yes- you need to find three PAFs who have strong areas of expertise, but also passing familiarity with many other areas as well.

And if you can get their knowledge bases to be as non-overlapping as possible, that would also be great.

A daunting task, but not impossible.

You'll never cover all the holes...but you need to cover as many as possible.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#37 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:And ha! I had to go back and really look again because I was wondering how Sprots knew about my 1986 thing.....

lb13
Oh no, now that I know where to look, leave it up!
Spoiler
He's going to get a nasty burn if he doesn't wear his sun hat like Matias is, though....

Appa23

#38 Post by Appa23 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Plus this cat had a really good excuse, he lives in Nebraska! Besides the ad probably not getting a lot of play there, they don't even have any pro teams in their state to follow. They're stuck with KC teams, and they only have two (both of which could be argued aren't "real" pro teams, either. Ha!)
Just a few points of clarification:

1. From reading his website, Sittel has not lived in Nebraska that long. He previously lived in the Southeast.

2. There are about 500,000 people living in the Metro Omaha area. I am guessing that a majority of them could tell you that Howard was the only baseball player listed, that he was the 2006 NL MVP, and that he plays for the Phillies (as did Richie Ashburn!), despite the fact that we only have a AAA baseball team (plus the home of the CWS). In addition, we love sports in Nebraska, which is the reason why we hold so many sports events here. Baseball only trails football in viewing popularity.

3. Kansas City has three pro teams (Chiefs, Royals, and Wizards). Yes, only one is any good.

4. Omaha has had a professional, top level sports team. As a youth, I went to several games.

If you go back and read Sittel's blog about his PTBAM appearance, you can see the groundwork being laid for this miss. He admitted to barely knowing who Steve Nash was. (I also wondered how well he would do when he thought several of Jim Robinson's and Ken Basin's questions were "obscure" and difficult, which did not bode well for his time in the hot seat. I mean, how can anyone not have seen the cowbell sketch?! :shock: )
Last edited by Appa23 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#39 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Oh no, now that I know where to look, leave it up!
Spoiler
He's going to get a nasty burn if he doesn't wear his sun hat like Matias is, though....

Maybe Sprots would scritch and peel him at the same time.....

lb13

Appa23

#40 Post by Appa23 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Jeemie wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Any excuse?

How about:

lb13
Yes- you need to find three PAFs who have strong areas of expertise, but also passing familiarity with many other areas as well.

And if you can get their knowledge bases to be as non-overlapping as possible, that would also be great.

A daunting task, but not impossible.

You'll never cover all the holes...but you need to cover as many as possible.
In defense of Sittel, he really only had 2 PAF slots to fill. As his wife could not go with hinm, he likely felt that he had to include her as one of the three (if for no other reason than that chance to do a "Carpenter call".) It is one way that the drop from 5 PAFs to 3 really has a big negative impact on some hot seaters.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#41 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Just a few points of clarification:

1. From reading his website, Sittel has not lived in Nebraska that long. He previously lived in the Southeast.

2. There are about 500,000 people living in the Metro Omaha area. I am guessing that a majority of them could tell you that Howard was the only baseball player listed, that he was the 2006 NL MVP, and that he plays for the Phillies (as did Richie Ashburn!), despite the fact that we only have a AAA baseball team (plus the home of the CWS). In addition, we love sports in Nebraska, which is the reason why we hold so many sports events here. Baseball only trails football in viewing popularity.

3. Kansas City has three pro teams (Chiefs, Royals, and Wizards). Yes, only one is any good.

4. Omaha has had a professional, top level sports team. As a youth, I went to several games.

If you go back and read Sittel's blog about watching Ken Basin's failed run for the million, you can see the groundwork being laid for this miss. IIRC, Basin had some easy sports-related question, and Sittel professed complete ignorance of the fact. (In fact, he thought several of Basin's questions up to the million were "obscure" and difficult, which did not bode well for his time in the hot seat.)
I'm not interested enough in him to read his website, I was going strictly from what people had written in their posts.

I wasn't slagging off on Nebraska, I was actually trying to give the dude an out. A die hard sports fan is going to be sports fan, no matter what. But I still think that there is far less chance that one would be a casual fan of any pro sport that didn't have a "local" team to follow.

Omaha having a pro team in some unknown sport in your youth doesn't help out a young (I'm assuming) guy that lives there now.

I'm not saying that Nebraskans aren't into sports, I know that collegiate sports are huge there. As well as high school, my brother's town totally shuts down for the high school football championship game (state, regional, I don't know which). It's like a federal holiday, the schools are closed and the only business open is the Kwik Sack.

If he sat there in the ROF and was totally ignorant of the sports questions being asked, then he was triple stupid for not having a sports PAF.

Jeemie

#42 Post by Jeemie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Appa23 wrote:In defense of Sittel, he really only had 2 PAF slots to fill. As his wife could not go with hinm, he likely felt that he had to include her as one of the three (if for no other reason than that chance to do a "Carpenter call".) It is one way that the drop from 5 PAFs to 3 really has a big negative impact on some hot seaters.
That is no defense. This is a game for real money, and it requires one to be cold and calculating.

If the spouse can be an excellent PAF in subject matters in which the player is weak, then great.

But if the sole (or over-riding) purpose of selecting the spouse as a PAF is because he/she cannot accompany the player to NYC, then that is stupid.

Play the game- get sentimental later.

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#43 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Appa23 wrote:In defense of Sittel, he really only had 2 PAF slots to fill. As his wife could not go with hinm, he likely felt that he had to include her as one of the three (if for no other reason than that chance to do a "Carpenter call".) It is one way that the drop from 5 PAFs to 3 really has a big negative impact on some hot seaters.
That is no defense. This is a game for real money, and it requires one to be cold and calculating.

If the spouse can be an excellent PAF in subject matters in which the player is weak, then great.

But if the sole (or over-riding) purpose of selecting the spouse as a PAF is because he/she cannot accompany the player to NYC, then that is stupid.

I agree. In the past people have called brothers, mothers or others just to make them feel good. Personally, I'd feel better to have my relative come home with some bank rather than wasting their PAF by calling me on a question for which I'd be totally unsuitable.

And if he thinks that the PTBAM questions were hard and obscure, a "Carpenter Moment" should have not ever even entered into his silly head....

Snaxx

#44 Post by Snaxx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:51 pm

I remember one prime-time show where it was apparent that one woman had to have her boss as the PAF as a condition to go, she called the boss and the boss gave her a wrong answer that she must have thought was wrong, she couldn't go against the boss so she walked with something like $4000.

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#45 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:52 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:I remember one prime-time show where it was apparent that one woman had to have her boss as the PAF as a condition to go, she called the boss and the boss gave her a wrong answer that she must have thought was wrong, she couldn't go against the boss so she walked with something like $4000.

And I'll bet when she got back home, the boss didn't find a damn thing wrong with what he did or the provisions he set.

Linus's Boss
Merry Man

#46 Post by Linus's Boss » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:I remember one prime-time show where it was apparent that one woman had to have her boss as the PAF as a condition to go, she called the boss and the boss gave her a wrong answer that she must have thought was wrong, she couldn't go against the boss so she walked with something like $4000.

And I'll bet when she got back home, the boss didn't find a damn thing wrong with what he did or the provisions he set.

Of course not, because I'm always right.
Get off that message board and get back to WORK!!!!

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#47 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:

Or if someone is that much of an asshole, he could have given her the wrong answer on purpose so she wouldn't win a big hunk of cash and then quit on him.

gsabc

#48 Post by gsabc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Jeemie wrote:

Again in defense of Sittel, if I've read the thread correctly, he essentially said that he misinterpreted the question as one about "The Office", a subject on which he considered his wife an expert. Had he understood it correctly as a sports question, it's entirely possible that he would have chosen one of the others.

If GW can't make it to NYC with me, the only call she'll get will be after they've kicked me out of the studio, from the bar where I'll be celebrating with whoever does come with me plus the BBs from the audience. 8) At this point, there's only one relative I would consider as a PAF. He travels so much, though, that the chances are good that he wouldn't be available anyway.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#49 Post by Jeemie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:26 pm

gsabc wrote:Again in defense of Sittel, if I've read the thread correctly, he essentially said that he misinterpreted the question as one about "The Office", a subject on which he considered his wife an expert. Had he understood it correctly as a sports question, it's entirely possible that he would have chosen one of the others.
I saw that, and I agree.

I was simply responding to Appa's hypothesizing on why Sittel's wife was considered as a PAF in the first place.

For me, my wife would have to bring more to the table than being an expert on one TV show (not saying that's all Sittel's wife was good for).

Weyoun

#50 Post by Weyoun » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:42 pm

It sounds like he knew nothing about The Office, nothig about sports, misread the question, and didn't press his lifeline for an explanation. Other than that, bang up.