PT-BAM Transcript: Ken Basin (Fresca) (8/23/09)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: PT-BAM Transcript: Ken Basin (Fresca) (8/23/09)

#26 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:15 pm

In various threads, I've seen several people mention the "newsworthiness" of Grace Kelly's sudden death.

I'm not sure if that means they think that USA Today was sitting around waiting for a big story in order to debut, or if they think that the deaths of these other 3 ICONS was not front-page news. I am pretty sure that neither is true...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#27 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:19 pm

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:$100,000 (Listen Carefully): In the 1984 movie “Gremlins,” which of the following is not one of the three rules for taking care of the creature Mogwai?

A. Don’t get him wet B. Keep him out of bright light
C. Never feed him after midnight D. Don’t let him sleep too much

Don't forget not to put him in the microwave.....

Have I ever mentioned before that my Spokesman dressed up as Stripe for Halloween in 1984? Yeah, that's why he's the spokesman and I'm the Big, Fat, Fabulous Brain.....
Memo to the Beast Sisters: We'd like to see a picture, please!

Consider it payback for your own avatar! :twisted:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#28 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote: First, I do a little banter and acting. Then, I call on Bill Nye. Then, I call my designated Googler (possibly Bob-o'-numbers). I'd shorten the question to something like "What was LBJ's favorite beverage?" to make it easier to Google. After a little more acting, I would've locked in whatever my PAF said.
It wouldn't have been me. My PAF eligibility was already gone. --Bob

I didn't know there was limited eligibility for PAF. This place makes me more smarterer each day!

Sometimes there's limited knowledge as well.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

TheConfessor

#29 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 pm

earendel wrote:The Soviet Union was gone before Ken was born, wasn't it?
No. The Soviet Union lasted until 1991. Ken is 24, so he was born in 1984 or 1985.

Phil Ken Sebbin

#30 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
I didn't know there was limited eligibility for PAF. This place makes me more smarterer each day!

Sometimes there's limited knowledge as well.
Thank you! I think. :?
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

hbomb1947

#31 Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:14 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
earendel wrote:The Soviet Union was gone before Ken was born, wasn't it?
No. The Soviet Union lasted until 1991. Ken is 24, so he was born in 1984 or 1985.
Ken was born in October 1984.

http://www.martindale.com/Kenneth-Basin ... lawyer.htm

ghostjmf

#32 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Got FF right. Would not have beat that time, as I had to deliberate some on the inner 2, &, as we all know, am not that fast.

4K: Pretty much got this by elimination. I do not know the game, but I do know the other games, & I do not know Swahili, but I do know some of the other word roots.

8K: complete blank on this. Have read about 2 of the movies, "I Love You, Man" & "Hangover". ATA. Double dip if they're clueless.

25K: Certainly doable, but would hate being under the clock for it.

100K: Never saw movie, but read a lot about it. Was certain about "not get wet" & "don't let out after midnight", thought, like the contestant, that the answer was probably "don't let sleep too much", but would double dip here.

250K: I have read this. You have to remember they mean North America, not "the USA". I have read this, but am a chicken. ATE here. To see what they think.

500K: Thought timeline wrong for Dietrich & Garbo, & Hepburn too recent. But PAF a Googler. Because I am a chicken.

Million: I, like BobJ, was alive at the time. Unlike BobJ or anyone else, I do not remember LBJ liking Fresca. I myself only wind up drinking Fresca on airlines if I feel the not-decaf diet cola is too much caf for me at the time. I buy gingerale; would buy Vernors if only they had it outside of a small circle around Detroit. I occasionally buy root beer. If given the Fresca/7-Up choice I would pick 7-Up. I would have thought LBJ would have thought Fresca "a wimpy drink".

I was not even aware of Yoohoo until I read about it years after the LBJ era. I have never tasted it. I have tasted Dr. Pepper, beloved in the Southland, & believe me, even the memory of that one is bad enough.

I kinda think a vat of V8 would spoil quickly, but I guess they'd change the presidential V8 vat daily, so not to worry.

At any rate, I would pack it up & go home here. Not because I am better or smarter than anybody, but exactly because I have no clue & am a wimp, even if I don't often drink "the wimpy drink".

Estonut
Evil Genius

#33 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:28 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I kinda think a vat of V8 would spoil quickly, but I guess they'd change the presidential V8 vat daily, so not to worry.
The question was about buttons, not vats. Further, do you not remember that refrigeration was well-established and available then?
Groucho Marx

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#34 Post by frogman042 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 pm

TPTB missed a perfect chance for some product placement. They should have picked a question where the correct answer was V8, then we could have had a commercial tie-in with Ken missing it, seeing the answer, hitting his forehead with the base of his palm and exclaiming:

"Wow, I could've had a V8!"
Last edited by frogman042 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#35 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Estonut says:

(Things I really shouldn't even bother with, life being short enough as it is)
The question was about buttons, not vats. Further, do you not remember that refrigeration was well-established and available then?
Button has to be attached to vat or nothing comes out when button is pushed. Unless that button was to call the valet, or something. Maybe it was. Question did not clarify.

Refrigerate away; V8 still spoils quicker than the other choices, unless of course Yoo Hoo has some highly perishable ingredients in it, unlike other soft drinks.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#36 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Button has to be attached to vat or nothing comes out when button is pushed. Unless that button was to call the valet, or something. Maybe it was. Question did not clarify.
It would be so nice if you'd RTFQ before you argued about it...

$1,000,000 (Bottoms Up!): “For ordering his favorite beverages on demand, LBJ had four buttons installed in the Oval Office labeled “coffee,” “tea,” “Coke” and what?
Groucho Marx

Spock

#37 Post by Spock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:29 pm

I have not read all of the Basin Threads-But I wondered at the time how much of Basin's gut for "Yoo-Hoo" and especially for the ATA results may have been the perception of YooHoo as a "Southern drink" and the brain locking on that answer as a result.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#38 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm

Spock wrote:I have not read all of the Basin Threads-But I wondered at the time how much of Basin's gut for "Yoo-Hoo" and especially for the ATA results may have been the perception of YooHoo as a "Southern drink" and the brain locking on that answer as a result.
I've always perceived it as a kids' drink rather than a southern one. You may be right as far as the audience goes, but Ken has indicated he was certain he had seen a photograph of LBJ meeting the Beatles while holding a Yoo-Hoo. That, in combination with the audience result, is what led to his pulling the trigger.
Groucho Marx

Jeemie

#39 Post by Jeemie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Spock wrote:I have not read all of the Basin Threads-But I wondered at the time how much of Basin's gut for "Yoo-Hoo" and especially for the ATA results may have been the perception of YooHoo as a "Southern drink" and the brain locking on that answer as a result.
And I wonder how many people that didn't know were swayed by Regis' remark that his button would be for warm milk.
1979 City of Champions 2009

hanzz

#40 Post by hanzz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 am

The funny thing is that I probably would have used my lifelines exactly the same way as Ken. Nihil obstat until $100k, where I was between the right two. ATE and PAF on Grace Kelly, and ATA on the MDQ. I probably would have walked away, but 40% is horribly tempting. I'm also tempted to say that I probably could have gotten the FF in less than 4 seconds, but we'll leave that for the alternate history where the inglourious basterds led by Brad Pitt managed to
Spoiler
assassinate Hitler

I'm surprised at how many people would have needed help on the Betty White question, as she was in pretty mch every TV spot for The Proposal.
I know it's a red letter day when a contestant on SyndieBAM makes it to $1,000 with any lifelines still intact, but this is supposed to be a Primetime Revival, Regis!!! Act like it, dammit!!!
Oh, how this made me smile, MBFFB!
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#41 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:34 am

I am a geographical dumbass who got the 250k question without a problem because I knew that the geographical center of the US was in Kansas because I knew that Louise Brooks was born in Cherryvale, KS. Knowing that, even a geographical dumbass can figure out that Canada is bigger than Mexico.

Pop culture RULES!!!1
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#42 Post by frogman042 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am

Today is LBJ's 101st birthday and the LBJ library here in Austin is celebrating with cake and 'refreshments' (note that theConfessor posted about this event a year ago, but it doesn't seem to be as big of an event as his 100th birthday). I plan on stopping by, also the museum houses on its top floor a replica of LBJ's oval office, supposedly with everything as it was. I am going to head up to see if I can find that infamous 4 button system and if it is at all possible I will try to get a photo of it (the room is roped off, so you can only look in from the doorway, so I'm not sure how close I can get or how many items I can see on the desk).

Updates to follow.

---Jay

MarleysGh0st

#43 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 am

frogman042 wrote:Today is LBJ's 101st birthday and the LBJ library here in Austin is celebrating with cake and 'refreshments' (note that theConfessor posted about this event a year ago, but it doesn't seem to be as big of an event as his 100th birthday). I plan on stopping by, also the museum houses on its top floor a replica of LBJ's oval office, supposedly with everything as it was. I am going to head up to see if I can find that infamous 4 button system and if it is at all possible I will try to get a photo of it (the room is roped off, so you can only look in from the doorway, so I'm not sure how close I can get or how many items I can see on the desk).

Updates to follow.

---Jay
Perhaps you can get special permission from a docent. Ken might like a photograph of that button.

Or not...

Appa23

#44 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am

Southpaw Fanny wrote:I am a geographical dumbass who got the 250k question without a problem because I knew that the geographical center of the US was in Kansas because I knew that Louise Brooks was born in Cherryvale, KS. Knowing that, even a geographical dumbass can figure out that Canada is bigger than Mexico.
But, can a "geographical dumbass" figure out if Canada bigger than Mexico and Central America? :)

Jeemie

#45 Post by Jeemie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 am

Appa23 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:I am a geographical dumbass who got the 250k question without a problem because I knew that the geographical center of the US was in Kansas because I knew that Louise Brooks was born in Cherryvale, KS. Knowing that, even a geographical dumbass can figure out that Canada is bigger than Mexico.
But, can a "geographical dumbass" figure out if Canada bigger than Mexico and Central America? :)
I think so.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#46 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:23 am

Pop culture RULES!!!1
To be a little more precise, I think that the geographical center of the contiguous states is in Kansas. I believe that the geographical center of the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) is in South Dakota. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#47 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Pop culture RULES!!!1
To be a little more precise, I think that the geographical center of the contiguous states is in Kansas. I believe that the geographical center of the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) is in South Dakota. --Bob
Alaska and Hawaii were not states when Louise Brooks lived in Kansas.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#48 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:Alaska and Hawaii were not states when Louise Brooks lived in Kansas.
My turn to get educated. Who's Louise Brooks? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#49 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:Alaska and Hawaii were not states when Louise Brooks lived in Kansas.
Ha! She was an actress in the 20s whose black bob caused a hairstyle craze. She became somewhat of a cult figure in the 60s.

My main reason in posting this was that I know jack all about the "important" topic of geography, but my hoi polloi pop culture knowledge would have been responsible for me knowing the answer.

Jeemie

#50 Post by Jeemie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I didn't know this either.

I looked it up.

Apparently she became the cult figure Fanny talked about because the French fell in love with her.